Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If you haven't seen the new movie because why would you, he gets killed off in a super hilarious way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Knucklebear posted:

Annoying guests: I like Posehn but he's too laid back to carry a show on his own especially with the likes of Mira and Sam Levine. Levine was especially obnoxious but he made Matt Mira likable which is a pretty big feet. I don't know who the girl was but she didn't bring anything to the table.

That would be Glory from "Buffy." So listen again, and realize that you're hearing a GODDESS speak, motherfucker!:twisted:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

That would be Glory from "Buffy." So listen again, and realize that you're hearing a GODDESS speak, motherfucker!:twisted:

Yeah, Claire had a winning streak going last year so she was on for a bit. She's an OK guest. I just think she couldn't add much to that particular panel. I like Posehn too, but yeah, he is laid back and needs to be with the right guests. I feel like Blaine Capatch should be on DLM at some point.

EDIT: Speaking of bad guests, I just can't get into this latest DLM.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 31, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, Claire had a winning streak going last year so she was on for a bit. She's an OK guest. I just think she couldn't add much to that particular panel. I like Posehn too, but yeah, he is laid back and needs to be with the right guests. I feel like Blaine Capatch should be on DLM at some point.

It sounds like one of the guys (the one who wants to wrestle Matthew Modine) is just too stoned. He keeps shouting out non sequiturs, stepping on lines and trailing off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Agreed on all counts. Get Blaine, Patton, and Brian on all at once, like on their @Midnight episode.

quote:

Yeah, I'm going to have to read reviews before I listen to this one, I think.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

qbert posted:

I like most of Doug Loves Movies. There are a handful of recurring guests that are terrible and make episodes bad, and Doug himself has some annoying habits, but the meat of the show is still pretty solid.

I love it, although there are going to be up and down episodes, depending on the guests. If an episode is a chore to get through, it's most probably because there is an annoying and/or boring guest, maybe even 2! It's very rare, but sometimes there will be an annoying audience, usually on obnoxious person who feels they are part of the show, and Doug has to literally go off on them. But the audiences in general are pretty good. Ironically, in this most recent ep, there is an EXTREMELY annoying guest, arguably one of the worst Doug has ever had.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Personally, as much as I love the ones that run great, seeing when things go bad gives a really good impression of how much work it takes to hold the ship together. I felt bad for Geoff, Doug, and the kid, who were all doing their best, and the last few minutes are just great for them ripping on the guy after he's been finally asked to leave. The dude was just really bad at even being on stage, but its amazing for a sense of universal irony when the dude keeps going on about how he should be shutting up. Hearing them run through the Maltin game in nine or so minutes was a hell of a feat, though.

I should mention, however, that I work a job where I have nothing but time to listen to podcasts, so it's totally understandable to skip it if you've got no patience for it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Personally, as much as I love the ones that run great, seeing when things go bad gives a really good impression of how much work it takes to hold the ship together. I felt bad for Geoff, Doug, and the kid, who were all doing their best, and the last few minutes are just great for them ripping on the guy after he's been finally asked to leave. The dude was just really bad at even being on stage, but its amazing for a sense of universal irony when the dude keeps going on about how he should be shutting up. Hearing them run through the Maltin game in nine or so minutes was a hell of a feat, though.

I should mention, however, that I work a job where I have nothing but time to listen to podcasts, so it's totally understandable to skip it if you've got no patience for it.

They literally had to ask him to leave? I listened last night and didn't think it was too bad considering I didn't recognize any of the names and one guest was a precocious teenager, but I fell asleep before the LMG. Dude was super annoying in the "smoked too much weed" way.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
At the Traverse City Film Festival I was in the line for people who didn't get a ticket in advance but still want to get in for a movie and Doug Benson walks by and into the theatre without a ticket. I waited an hour in line and everyone in front of me in the line got in but when it got to me they said there was no more room. drat you Doug Benson :argh:

I didn't go to DLM because I had tickets to another movie at the same time but I'm glad after seeing the line up. I'm surprised he couldn't get better guests at a festival with a decent amount of directors/actors doing Q&A's after their movies.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 1, 2014

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

They literally had to ask him to leave? I listened last night and didn't think it was too bad considering I didn't recognize any of the names and one guest was a precocious teenager, but I fell asleep before the LMG. Dude was super annoying in the "smoked too much weed" way.

Yeah, once he's loving up the name tags, Doug just tells him to go. The guy was also just running off the stage to grab drinks, and was getting hostile when he started realizing how much he pissing off people.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I mostly felt bad for Doug and Geoff. That kid was kind of pushing it with the monologues, too. It's really frustrating when you have a GREAT guest like Geoff Tate, and then 2 boring guests and we have to listen to them ramble on for the episode, and barely get to hear Geoff. Whenever Doug and Geoff did get a chance to talk, it was hilarious, but their interjections were unfortunately few and far between.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

davey_dave posted:

I mostly felt bad for Doug and Geoff. That kid was kind of pushing it with the monologues, too. It's really frustrating when you have a GREAT guest like Geoff Tate, and then 2 boring guests and we have to listen to them ramble on for the episode, and barely get to hear Geoff. Whenever Doug and Geoff did get a chance to talk, it was hilarious, but their interjections were unfortunately few and far between.

Yeah, but hey, the kid's 18. I was a freaking basket case at that age, so the fact that he can go on the show with some level of poise is impressive to me. I agree, it would have been more fun if we had heard a little less of him and a little more of Geoff, but hey. How often does one get to hear an utter implosion like we got from Onur Turkel?:neckbeard: What an incredibly weird episode...

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Yeah, once he's loving up the name tags, Doug just tells him to go. The guy was also just running off the stage to grab drinks, and was getting hostile when he started realizing how much he pissing off people.

Lmao I just heard it. That was great. Seemed like the last straw was insulting his audience members. For baking cookies nonetheless....

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Lmao I just heard it. That was great. Seemed like the last straw was insulting his audience members. For baking cookies nonetheless....

I swear, he sounded a LOT like Tarantino to me! And Doug said he wanted Michael Moore to be there. That would have been an utter nightmare with this guy AND Moore on stage.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
love/hate/like/hatelike should be retired. at least this episode it prompted a decent amount of discussion.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Timett posted:

love/hate/like/hatelike should be retired. at least this episode it prompted a decent amount of discussion.

Jukebox juryyy~~

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

davey_dave posted:

I swear, he sounded a LOT like Tarantino to me! And Doug said he wanted Michael Moore to be there. That would have been an utter nightmare with this guy AND Moore on stage.

Meh, I dunno. I imagine Tukel would have been too afraid of pissing off Moore and would have kept his idiot mouth shut. But then we would have been deprived of seeing him get kicked off!:w00t:

Also I like Michael Moore when he's on DLM.:)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 5, 2014

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Timett posted:

Doug rarely seems to do that one. I kind of like it. It's somewhere in the middle of the games for me. I'd rank the games as so:

Maltin game (obviously!)
Last Man Stanton
Love/Hate/Like/HateLike
How Much Did This poo poo Make
Build-A-Title
ABCDeezNuts

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

davey_dave posted:

Doug rarely seems to do that one. I kind of like it. It's somewhere in the middle of the games for me. I'd rank the games as so:

Maltin game (obviously!)
Last Man Stanton
Love/Hate/Like/HateLike
How Much Did This poo poo Make
Build-A-Title
ABCDeezNuts

ABDeezNuts is funny to me because the recurring guests seemingly never catch on to Doug's choices until way late in the game. Even dudes like Samm have selective amnesia about this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

If I was going to be a guest on DLM, I don't think I'd bother to memorize Doug's upcoming tour dates for the slightly increased possibility of "winning" ABCDeezNuts. What a lovely game, and one that rarely leads to anything funny.

I pretty much agree with dave's rankings. I'd put HMDTSM over Love/Hate/etc (which isn't really a "game" anyway).

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

FitFortDanga posted:

If I was going to be a guest on DLM, I don't think I'd bother to memorize Doug's upcoming tour dates for the slightly increased possibility of "winning" ABCDeezNuts. What a lovely game, and one that rarely leads to anything funny.

I pretty much agree with dave's rankings. I'd put HMDTSM over Love/Hate/etc (which isn't really a "game" anyway).

Yeah, I actually could switch these two. It's just that HMDTSM is usually so short. Love/Hate takes up so much time that I included it among the games.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I guess, but the other half of his answers involve the contestant's filmographies or their geographical location.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
It is a really good farmers market guys :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I saw some fried chicken in a waffle cone with coleslaw thing on the internet a few days ago, and it was from some place in Wisconsin. If that is the kind of thing that is at this farmer's market then I am mad that they dissed it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
How Much Did This poo poo Make is mad boring.
"No, it didn't make 40 million. It made 25 million."
Who gives a poo poo?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

This. This will always be the worst game.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's just a quick way to decide who goes first in the LMG. If they can't Do Lines With Mark they should just decide arbitrarily

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The riffing in this episode was really funny :)

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Movie nerds. DLM is for comedy nerds and movie nerds.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I love Ron Funches so much.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

FitFortDanga posted:

I love Ron Funches so much.

Very ironic that the Last Man Stanton category was Julianne Moore movies, then when it got down to Doug and Debra, Debra didn't even think to mention NON-STOP, which was the movie she said she had seen recently.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Oh, a new DLM. Who's on it? Ron Funches? He's fun. Bert Kreischer, I like him, even though he's crazy. Don't know Debra. And Dunstin Yb..."
DELETE.

VVV Good to know. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 7, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

"Oh, a new DLM. Who's on it? Ron Funches? He's fun. Bert Kreischer, I like him, even though he's crazy. Don't know Debra. And Dunstin Yb..."
DELETE.

Give it a shot. Dustin doesn't talk as much or as annoyingly compared to his past couple of episodes. Funches is so goddamned funny that it shouldn't matter anyway.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
It's a really loving good episode and Kreischer was way less annoying than usual. If you delete anything featuring the Funch without listening to it you're doing yourself a disservice.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

DELETE.

VVV Good to know. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

It was a pretty good plop. Ybarra kept himself in check for the most part. And no one person tried to dominate the discussion.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

davey_dave posted:

It was a pretty good plop. Ybarra kept himself in check for the most part. And no one person tried to dominate the discussion.

Ok ok ok. I'll redownload it. You get a second chance Ybarra, this time….

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Worth it for Funches talking about Grand Budapest Hotel alone

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

With the '7 words or more in the title category' in the Maltin game, there's only ONE strategy: Just make the other person try to name it, no matter how many names they get!

davey_dave fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 11, 2014

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I haven't listened to Doug Loves Movies for like six months but saw that Tom Segura and Matt Fulchiron were on the latest episode. I'm about halfway through and it does not disappoint.

The Full Charge and the Main Mommy, while totally ignorant of all of Doug's games made this episode great.

Frustrated Doug, Best Doug.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened yet but the latest DLM sounds pretty interesting even if it's just a promo for Kulap's doc. I mean, Maron, Kumail, Kulap, and Kremer? That's a plausible lineup.

• Locked thread