Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

38 seconds, the guy has the same hood and shoulders as 1:34. That's probably The Elder One- who's responsible for the invasion and the primary antagonist of the game.

Does anyone remember when that marking on his forehead show up in the Dragon Age games. It looks really familiar.

They look like Dalish tattoos, which helps support my headcanon that the Elder One is Fen'Harel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay. Just throwing this out there.

Your character in Dragon Age Inquisition is the Second Coming of Andraste or even The Maker in earthly form.

There is a good chance I'm wrong (FOR ONCE YOU GUYS) but I will gladly be wrong in this case.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Your character in Dragon Age Inquisition is the Second Coming of Andraste or even The Maker in earthly form.

There is a good chance I'm wrong (FOR ONCE YOU GUYS) but I will gladly be wrong in this case.

Or, more likely given what I can only assume was the villain said in the trailer, the Inquisitor was an unforeseen consequence of the original rift opening that got his/her powers by chance. If anybody else managed to survive the blast, they'd have glowing hand powers too.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, I'd say that image of the Inquisitor reaching out to the glowing light-lady in the trailer certainly implies some connection to her. There are two occasions in the Gamescom trailer and walkthrough where Inquisition NPCs (soldiers and Cullen) call the Inquisitor the "Herald of Andraste". Obviously I have no idea what this means but considering BioWare have said that the Inquisition's level of involvement with the Chantry will be determined by the player, I hope that will be an optional title.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bogwitt posted:

Well, I'd say that image of the Inquisitor reaching out to the glowing light-lady in the trailer certainly implies some connection to her. There are two occasions in the Gamescom trailer and walkthrough where Inquisition NPCs (soldiers and Cullen) call the Inquisitor the "Herald of Andraste". Obviously I have no idea what this means but considering BioWare have said that the Inquisition's level of involvement with the Chantry will be determined by the player, I hope that will be an optional title.

Optional, or restricted to character beliefs. I could handle Cullen and Leliana calling the Inquisitor the Herald of Andraste.

Having different people have different titles for the character might be too complicated for Bioware storytelling though!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Calling the main character Herald is certainly more punchy than Inquisitor.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I rather be called Death, Destroyer of Worlds. I'm no one's herald!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lotish posted:

It could be a little bit confusing if their name is Harold, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Strudel Man posted:

It could be a little bit confusing if their name is Harold, though.

Wouldn't that be even less confusing, then?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Or, more likely given what I can only assume was the villain said in the trailer, the Inquisitor was an unforeseen consequence of the original rift opening that got his/her powers by chance. If anybody else managed to survive the blast, they'd have glowing hand powers too.

Seems like you get thrown into the Fade from the explosion and that glowy, woman thing who may or may not be Andraste that takes your hand is what gives you that power.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Lotish posted:

Harold O'Draste

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Leelee posted:

Harold O'Draste

"Dirty" Harry Drastian.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New gameplay video from Gamescom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuR2zMuUBaY

Quite enjoying the quality of life features like the pop-in-and-out Tactical View and the little enemy status tooltips; not so much enjoying that Youtube compression makes particle effects look like poo poo

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I do like me some of that map that shows up in the beginning.

That's a nice map.

God I hope they don't gently caress up the combat gameplay balance. :ohdear: Fuckin' DA2, man.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 14, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cole's hat in this demo, man. That's some hat.

They mentioned that you get stat points when you buy abilities. Did they cut out the 3 points every level for attributes? Because it occurs to me that I haven't a screen for that.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Is it me.. or Is bioware.. Simply unable to make any decent hairstyles?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Something just looks off and I can't quite place what. Maybe its that it seems kinda choppy in animation or the sound doesn't seem right. Especially with the Witcher 3 gameplay footage today to compare it to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What's wrong? Not into Skrillex?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Not really as into the two handed warrior animations as I was the mage ones.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not a fan of the female-specific movement animation. You'd think a warrior in platemail wouldn't move around like a dainty princess. I wonder if there will be a mod that gives the men that movement set too, just to illustrate how silly it looks.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
You don't like the tottering-with-a-broken-pelvis animation? Perish the thought.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Can someone link a running animation that they consider to be well done? I thought the animations looked ok. Then again, I'm a Skyrim fan and Bethesda is known for their bargain basement animations so my bar might be pretty low.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

graynull posted:

Can someone link a running animation that they consider to be well done? I thought the animations looked ok. Then again, I'm a Skyrim fan and Bethesda is known for their bargain basement animations so my bar might be pretty low.

Well done, how about just not so loving gender-different?

Been a while, but Dark Souls probably doesn't have that crazy differential between sexes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think the motion capture was done by the Power Rangers.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if there will be a mod that gives the men that movement set too, just to illustrate how silly it looks.

Nope, no need to wonder because frostbite 3. It's been ~4 years since frostbite 2 released unmoddable and people threw a fit/tried stuff only to still see no progress. Just in general, don't expect anything since EA isn't willing to open up the engine or release any documentation and without either of those two things happening you really shouldn't expect people to want to put in the effort to make even the simplest of things (texture swaps) happen. Somebody already explained how the texture compression algorithm is largely at fault here in limiting even the possible range of mods to being live memory edit based and even then still way too hard to make such that they haven't been made for battlefield 3 or 4 as much as people want them.

But yeah, the gender specific animations are kind of silly. A masculine/feminine slider or toggle could handle that well enough at character creation, sort of like dragon's dogma did for its neutral stances and idles. On the questionably bright side though, without mods there to fix complaints, people tend to complain directly at the game makers themselves a lot more. Whether they actually respond to the complaints is still a question, but they're at least more likely to consider them when they come in greater number due to no other alternatives existing. So, if you're unhappy with the animations, for instance, might as well give some of their twitters or whatever other social medias they use a try asking for a toggle or why one doesn't exist. That way they can respond with coy snark and play it off like it was already an option all along! ("What makes you think we won't have this option?" etc.)

graynull posted:

Don't have any links, but it would be on-topic to say DICE usually has good running animations in its games (mirror's edge, battlefield series). Most modern games have decent ones, I feel, even if for gameplay reasons they make the characters run like tanks (dragon's dogma, ground zeroes). Bioware has never done good running animations though, similar to bethesda.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drifter posted:

Well done, how about just not so loving gender-different?

Been a while, but Dark Souls probably doesn't have that crazy differential between sexes.

The running is one thing but good lord that walk animation...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Well the combat looks very fun.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Just watch any of the PS1 Syphon Filter games, greatest run-cycle in the history of video games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So how will player races affect the game?

Alouicious posted:

Just watch any of the PS1 Syphon Filter games, greatest run-cycle in the history of video games
Not a joke post.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Alouicious posted:

skip past the first 30 or so seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBQRNBKRrM

Good lord...it's...

Beautiful. :angel:

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Lotish posted:

Cole's hat in this demo, man. That's some hat.

They mentioned that you get stat points when you buy abilities. Did they cut out the 3 points every level for attributes? Because it occurs to me that I haven't a screen for that.

From what I could tell from the gameplay, it looks like attribute stats are baked into the abilities. Each time you buy f.inst a melee ability, you also gain some strength, and presumably when you buy magic spells, you would gain intelligence or something.

I think I prefer this method to the old games, really. DA was never really especially complex with the player stats; You had one stat you pumped, and then maybe got a bit of willpower or constitution on the side, unless you felt like intentionally gimping yourself (and it was obvious which stats to go for without looking at min-max guides). This way your stats will be less lopsided, and grow according to the style of play you develop along the way. If you start out as a basher, but decide halfway through to do a more battle-mage style of play, you just start buying the spells and that will give you the int you lack, rather than having maybe to respec because you dumped all your points into strength. With the amount of skills they have, even carrying around a few useless ones after you switch styles won't be a reroll-worthy hinderance.

Another nice effect, assuming I understood the system correctly, is that this sort of switch in playstyle is something you can do at any time, rather than f.inst having to wait a few levels until you have the int to buy the spells you want.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Yeah Dragon Age basically just had you get enough stats to wear what you planned to wear, and then pump your main stat. This new system seems a lot more interesting.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I'm not a fan of the female-specific movement animation. You'd think a warrior in platemail wouldn't move around like a dainty princess. I wonder if there will be a mod that gives the men that movement set too, just to illustrate how silly it looks.

Yeah, I think it's the same animation as DA2, just slightly toned down. Still looks loving silly though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Tactical Camera doesn't really seem to be interestingly highlighting the tactical nature of the game. It just seems to be a stop and point gameplay, there doesn't seem to be any attacks of opportunity type deals or danger from running close to other enemies.

Gameplay looks very similar to DA2.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Yeah, I think it's the same animation as DA2, just slightly toned down. Still looks loving silly though.

I went back to the E3 demo with the lady qunari to see if it was a different animation since I didn't really make a fuss at the time. It's the same. It's only harder to tell because it's obscured by nice cloth physics. Still, they tout the progressive horn constantly but the subtle sexism poo poo is what flies under their (and everyone else's) radar. I can understand the need of making them not just have all the men's animations but in this case, it's a detriment.

Edit: By "everyone else's" I mean the enthusiast press.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 14, 2014

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Eddain posted:

Yeah Dragon Age basically just had you get enough stats to wear what you planned to wear, and then pump your main stat. This new system seems a lot more interesting.

wait i must of missed something..
What new system are they implimenting for the armour/stats

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

So it's like a 4 out of 5 on the MROWWWLLL scale?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Krowley posted:

So it's like a 4 out of 5 on the MROWWWLLL scale?

I was trying to remember what smexy wording he had used.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also: how will player races affect the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Also: how will player races affect the game?

The amount of complaints on player forums.

• Locked thread