Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

totalnewbie posted:

I read the op but has anyone had experience with the ps3 and ps4 versions, both? Is it worth getting a ps4 for this?

I played both. When the beta was still running, I ran it on my PS3 and it was the exact same content as the PS4 version which I played at a friend's. Graphically the PS3 version is lower resolution with some tune-downs on expensive effects like shadows, which is to be expected, but the performance was virtually flawless even though the hardware is ancient. I don't think I saw a single frame drop. Bungie did a really great job with the PS3 version, to their enormous credit. It would be a very logical thing to do if you wanted to get the PS3 game now, and the PS4 version later down the road when you're ready to make the jump. Your Destiny account is Sony/Microsoft-wide.

I bought a PS4 just for Destiny, however it is worth pointing out that I probably wouldn't have done that if there weren't already a bunch of other rather excellent games for the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Welp. Just booked a couple of days off work for the Destiny release. If the servers go down for those launch days it would be pretty funny, in a poo poo way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CheeseFactory posted:

Welp. Just booked a couple of days off work for the Destiny release. If the servers go down for those launch days it would be pretty funny, in a poo poo way.

Yeah, I did the same but I'm waiting til Thursday to take my time off Just In Case. Beta was pretty consistent though and from reading about Bungie's nerve center, it sounds like they are really planning for the load.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You can always preload and do character creation and the first couple of inane Story missions anyway.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I did the same but I'm waiting til Thursday to take my time off Just In Case. Beta was pretty consistent though and from reading about Bungie's nerve center, it sounds like they are really planning for the load.

Yeah i preloaded the beta and PSN/Bungie servers were rock solid, though some people had issues with the store front. So i have high hopes. Next 4 weeks are going to suck.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CheeseFactory posted:

Yeah i preloaded the beta and PSN/Bungie servers were rock solid, though some people had issues with the store front. So i have high hopes. Next 4 weeks are going to suck.

Does anybody else other than me listen to the Destiny soundtrack all day at work...?

:smithicide:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Levantine posted:

I'm in the same boat, I think I'll just take Thursday and Friday off instead of most of the week, I'd hate to have that time to basically wrestle with server messages. I think the evenings shouldn't be too difficult anyways to get some guys together for the few hours I'll have.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ufarn posted:

You can always preload and do character creation and the first couple of inane Story missions anyway.
You mean character creation and about three hallways into the tutorial. At least that's how far I got while it was downloading :sigh:

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Siets posted:

Does anybody else other than me listen to the Destiny soundtrack all day at work...?

I do goon buddy! :whatup:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CrashCat posted:

You mean character creation and about three hallways into the tutorial. At least that's how far I got while it was downloading :sigh:

If you preorder the game, you can get that sweet, sweet early downloading and have the whole game ready to go at midnight. Or whenever the PSN Gnome decides to flip the switch to activate the game.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Midnight PST according to the timer :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Midnight PST according to the timer :(

So people who buy the physical version at midnight can play it immediately, but digital has to wait until 3am EST?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Siets posted:

Temple of Crota, Sepiks Prime and Main Menu 2 :respek:

I'm back home from vacation on the 9th, now I wonder if I'm not going to extend it by an extra day.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fateo McMurray posted:

So people who buy the physical version at midnight can play it immediately, but digital has to wait until 3am EST?

I don't think so. The servers go up when they go up. Digital preorders will have their stuff preloaded a couple days prior. I'm certain everyone gets to log into the game at 3am EST, physical or digital.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That would make midnight launches in any time zone but PST lame. Here's your game! Now wait 1-3 hours to play.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

A Titan looking pretty fly in full Iron Banner armor. Can't wait!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Levantine posted:

I don't think so. The servers go up when they go up. Digital preorders will have their stuff preloaded a couple days prior. I'm certain everyone gets to log into the game at 3am EST, physical or digital.

I'm gunna trust the big rear end timer on my screen for now until I get some clarification, there's probably some twitter account I could ask. I know I can preload but right now it really looks like you won't be able to play until midnight pacific if you order from PSN. I'm sure discs will be fine.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
There's too many drat wolves on that armour.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Aishan posted:

It's ok, he's wearing that wolf armor ironically.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
There's some cool stuff in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyopXs5vCMU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

If they're showing off high-level PvP at Gamescon, I can't wait for PAX :woop:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aishan posted:

There are allegedly 16 wolves on the Gjallarhorn.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Aishan posted:

In the Iron Banner, everyone is equalized to the same level of wolfwolfwolf.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there enough info out on subclasses to know if you can change them sometime later or not?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there enough info out on subclasses to know if you can change them sometime later or not?

Sure. You can change between the two subclasses with no restrictions*.
If you select to "lock" a subclass, you create a new blank copy of it and gain a boost to your primary stat (armor/agility/recovery).
You can then use the locked subclass, or re-level the blank copy at an accelerated pace if you decide you no longer like the choices you made.

* Maybe there's a restriction to changing it during combat, that's not know. Probably not though.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I imagine it, at the very least, drains your super when you switch classes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mango Polo posted:

In the Iron Banner, everyone is equalized to the same level of wolfwolfwolf.

As always, Warlocks look the coolest. :smug:

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
Is there a place to purchase the soundtrack from?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Are PS3 and PS4 players on segregated servers, then? I understood that PS3 players can migrate to PS4 "version" freely, but I didn't realize they were segregated completely.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

That much white after Space Labor Day?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Mango Polo posted:

Sure. You can change between the two subclasses with no restrictions*.

So there's only 2 subclasses each? I was hoping the beta was only showing 2 subclasses...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

totalnewbie posted:

Are PS3 and PS4 players on segregated servers, then? I understood that PS3 players can migrate to PS4 "version" freely, but I didn't realize they were segregated completely.

Correct, there are fears of balancing; higher resolution means PS4 players will have a marked advantage seeing players at a distance, the potential for framerate drop and lag, stuff like that.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

DO IT TO IT posted:

So there's only 2 subclasses each? I was hoping the beta was only showing 2 subclasses...

We don't know, but it's probably just two. If there are more than two, they've been keeping pretty quiet about the others. I'm guessing it'll be two at launch and they'll add another in some future DLC.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

That hunter knife super looks OP as gently caress.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, if you like running around in a dress :gay:.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Triggsz posted:

Yeah, if you like running around in a dress :gay:.

Space dress. :colbert:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

That Warlock looks like a Space Pope.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My roomate told me something with vague details about getting this cheap? I own a PS3 and he's getting the PS4 version. Is there some upgrade voodoo I can preform here?

Beta was lots of fun, Titan domination.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pladdicus posted:

My roomate told me something with vague details about getting this cheap? I own a PS3 and he's getting the PS4 version. Is there some upgrade voodoo I can preform here?

Beta was lots of fun, Titan domination.

There are no upgrades or anything. But considering the amount of content the game seems to have 60 dollars is a steal!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

a shameful boehner posted:

That hunter knife super looks OP as gently caress.

:getin:

• Locked thread