Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Austrian mook posted:

Is it? I'll hold off then unless Hand Knit says its okay.

My phones camera quality is pretty bad but I'll see what I can do, provided its okay with the mods

quote:

Fair dealing is an exception under the Copyright Act (Section 29) that allows an individual to copy material protected by copyright for the purposes of research, private study, education, parody, satire, criticism, review and news reporting

As long as you're doing one of those you're fine, but probably ask a mod just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Austrian mook posted:

Is it? I'll hold off then unless Hand Knit says its okay.

My phones camera quality is pretty bad but I'll see what I can do, provided its okay with the mods

Rule of thumb is that, for whole articles behind a paywall, excerpts and paraphrase are good but full transcription is out. I imagine that that same rule applies to for-sale copies of magazine articles.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Mook, I wanna see your cutting satire

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Just go to Barnes and Noble or Chapters or whatever and read it and put it back. Kids these days :argh:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ElwoodCuse posted:

Just go to Barnes and Noble or Chapters or whatever and read it and put it back. Kids these days :argh:

What are these things you speak of? Like video rental places or something?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'll buy the mag on my way home from work

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is nerdy but if any of you are into fantasy hockey simulation stuff and were turned off by the reviews / ridiculous price of Franchise Hockey Manager, it's currently in a 2.99$ bundle over on bundlestars. EHM 2007 is great, but I'm willing to give FHM a shot at that price.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Vicas posted:

Mook, I wanna see your cutting satire

I'm gonna write the next Canterbury Tales

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Continuing their hiring explosion, the Edmonton Oilers are hiring a Graphic Designer if any goons here saw that Mythbusters episode about polishing turds and thought "Yes."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jordan7hm posted:

This is nerdy but if any of you are into fantasy hockey simulation stuff and were turned off by the reviews / ridiculous price of Franchise Hockey Manager, it's currently in a 2.99$ bundle over on bundlestars. EHM 2007 is great, but I'm willing to give FHM a shot at that price.

Is FHM still buggy as poo poo?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DOOP posted:

Probably. I've downloaded it but not had a chance to try it yet.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Humidex of 42 has me sweating more than Kyle Wellwood after a spaghetti buffet. Anyone know if he still hockeys?

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I want to know why the hockey news thinks the NHL should bannish the ice girls.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

dyn posted:

Because those wimmin don't belong at a hockey game those gals don't even keep their eye on the game they're just gonna be sitting and BLAMMO spit on the face from the bench ya gotta keep yer head up lady

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

dyn posted:

I'm against it mainly because I feel that at best, it adds nothing to the game, and at worst, it treats women less as people and more as objects to be observed.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Hand Knit posted:

Rule of thumb is that, for whole articles behind a paywall, excerpts and paraphrase are good but full transcription is out. I imagine that that same rule applies to for-sale copies of magazine articles.

the official legal rule is usually 30% of the total content at least with academic journals and books iirc

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stickarts posted:

Humidex of 42 has me sweating more than Kyle Wellwood after a spaghetti buffet. Anyone know if he still hockeys?

He retired last season.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DOOP posted:

Yes. They've been promising another patch for months now but it's taking away time from developing FHM 15 or some bullshit basically just keep playing EHM2007 instead.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

Wow, the video for that thing is fantastically charming. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhTFXkkfRE&t=165s

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I'm against it mainly because I feel that at best, it adds nothing to the game, and at worst, it treats women less as people and more as objects to be observed.

This, mainly. Also, the (apparently) terrible working conditions. It also makes me feel a bit weird when the fairly drunk fifty-something man one row down from me is hollering at the girls on the ice.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Vincent Van Goat posted:

They clean up the ice during TV timeouts, entertain the crowd during stoppages, and do all sorts of charity and outreach for the community all year long. They're also pretty active with social media and put up a lot of interesting behind the scenes stuff on Instagram/Facebook. Two of my good friends have been ice girls (one NHL, the other ECHL) and both loved it because it was an extremely rewarding opportunity and about as good as it gets in terms of a part time job while going to school. I'd say they contribute quite a bit to any given franchise and I really don't understand the opposition to them unless it's some blanket statement about it being a travesty to show skin in their uniforms. Hell, like 40% of the ice crew here are male.

Of course, I base all of this off my experience in LA so maybe it's the complete opposite for other teams.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Teeter posted:

They clean up the ice during TV timeouts, entertain the crowd during stoppages, and do all sorts of charity and outreach for the community all year long. They're also pretty active with social media and put up a lot of interesting behind the scenes stuff on Instagram/Facebook. Two of my good friends have been ice girls (one NHL, the other ECHL) and both loved it because it was an extremely rewarding opportunity and about as good as it gets in terms of a part time job while going to school. I'd say they contribute quite a bit to any given franchise and I really don't understand the opposition to them unless it's some blanket statement about it being a travesty to show skin in their uniforms. Hell, like 40% of the ice crew here are male.

Of course, I base all of this off my experience in LA so maybe it's the complete opposite for other teams.

It's cool to hear that a few of them like it, but after reading stuff like this it makes it seem like not the best job. And, even if the individuals themselves are okay and accepting of the "role" they're taking it's still perpetuating a social problem that I'm not entirely okay with. But also the ice girls need to be saved from being spit on and hacked at by the likes of Parise and Lundqvist.

I mean, I'd like to believe that most of the ice girls have a good experience that helps them get through school and experience the positives you listed (and more) but more than a few of them have come to say that they are treated very poorly.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Teeter posted:

I don't doubt that they do great things, it's just that I see no reason for them to dress like this:

(No offense intended towards the Stars, I know other teams do it, I just grabbed the first image I found)

The female members of the ice crew at the ECHL games I go to wear the same things as the guys, a t-shirt and jogging pants, and there seems to be plenty of participation in regards to events.

Things like this don't inspire me with confidence either.

Ergo Propter Hog fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they were actual cheerleaders then you can kind of overlook the outfits (or at least it's a battle you wouldn't win) but that some teams also make them act as ushers and actual ice crew and all that is silly.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Austrian mook posted:

I've heard a lot of that one Ducks announcer you all hate bitching at his co-announcer back before I was a regular Centre Ice user.

E: I used this one European stream which would always show a schedule of the played games and their score, if the game was over it would read: SLUT. Never figured out what that was about or what it meant.

Slut would be Swedish for finished.

I know that if you get the AHL online video package, unless it is a rare televised game, most games just use the in-arena video feed, and the home team audio call, which means a lot of slides and pictures with no context, and a fair bit of back-from-commercial cuing, and banter between the radio man and his support staff.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

the ice bucket challenge thing might be dumb but wouldn't we all like to dump a bucket of ice water on gary bettman's head

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=49&id=629400&cmpid=nhl-twt

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Zamboni Jesus posted:

the ice bucket challenge thing might be dumb but wouldn't we all like to dump a bucket of ice water on gary bettman's head

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=49&id=629400&cmpid=nhl-twt

Oh nooooo, how did that hydrofloric acid get in theeerrrreeee?!

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

has anyone challenged that player who couldn't do a pullup at the combine yet just to see if he can lift the bucket of water over his head or not?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I just started to get into NHL hockey this past year, so I was wondering what Bettman has done to make himself so reviled. I'm not defending the guy, just curious. I'm assuming the lockout last year had something to do with it.

Ergo Propter Hog fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 15, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I just started to get into NHL hockey this past year, so I was wondering what Betteman has done to make himself so reviled. I'm not defending the guy, just curious. I'm assuming the lockout last year had something to do with it.

Actually he's presided over three lockouts, and that's pretty much why everyone hates him.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Also just look at him, he's got such a punchable face

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I just started to get into NHL hockey this past year, so I was wondering what Betteman has done to make himself so reviled. I'm not defending the guy, just curious. I'm assuming the lockout last year had something to do with it.

also the lockout in 2004-5

and the lockout in 1994-5

the jets and nordiques both left under his watch while southern expansion happened also which gets him a lot of hate from canadians though the former wasn't really his fault

also look at him

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The fact that his default tactic for CBA negotiations is to hold a lockout is sort of damning. And somehow it always gets spun that the players are to blame, but that prolly has to do with how the North American populace feels about employees in general.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

He cancels hockey all the time and then acts like a conniving weasel to get everyone mad at the wrong people, all in the name of making as much money for himself and the other rich fuckers as possible.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Seems to take a special kind of incompetence to mess it up three times. His face doesn't look super-punchable, but based on his track record, I'm sure that'll change in a few years

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

none of the lockouts were a mess-up from the owners point-of-view

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Seems to take a special kind of incompetence to mess it up three times. His face doesn't look super-punchable, but based on his track record, I'm sure that'll change in a few years

Do you follow basketball? If so: he was trained under David Stern. :thumbsup:

(I don't follow basketball at all myself, I just know that when I try to explain to a basketball fan why Gary Bettman is a human anus, and I bring that fact up, they always go "Ooooooh, yeah, gently caress him then.")

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Franks Happy Place posted:

Do you follow basketball? If so: he was trained under David Stern. :thumbsup:

(I don't follow basketball at all myself, I just know that when I try to explain to a basketball fan why Gary Bettman is a human anus, and I bring that fact up, they always go "Ooooooh, yeah, gently caress him then.")

My brother likes basketball a lot, so I have a general idea of David Stern and his actions. I'm less than thrilled now that I know about that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zamboni Jesus posted:

also the lockout in 2004-5

and the lockout in 1994-5

the jets and nordiques both left under his watch while southern expansion happened also which gets him a lot of hate from canadians though the former wasn't really his fault

also look at him
That and he helped fix the Penguins into getting Crosby and rigged the 2009 SCF for the Penguins :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
And he screwed the Flyers out of Patrick Kane!

• Locked thread