Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neo Duckberg posted:

Converging at the church now

Pray to Satan for protection. Loudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Just went to the Harlem vigil. About 120-ish people, community leaders speaking. Focus on Eric Garner and the delightful NYPD as well.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The police are apparently taking down traffic barriers on West Ferguson (main street) and directing traffic by hand.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNolen/status/500062111255789568
https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/500063822972203008

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 15, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

armoredgorilla posted:

Twitter is the primary way this entire issue has been communicated for the last week. It's holding its own at the platform. The lower class and disenfranchised have to voice their problems that would otherwise be unavailable through mainstream media.

So no, Twitter owns.

I'm not saying it's bad that people were able to use it, but there should be better tools for that purpose. Twitter is built around a stupid loving gimmick that limits sentence length and was built with celebrity publicity in mind, which is kind of at odds with the dead serious need to show police brutality and civil rights violations to the world.

I can't wait for the vine videos that just loop a kid getting his head smashed open into infinity because nobody bothered to make a non-joke phone interface with the internet.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I'd be interested to see the end numbers for all the Mike Brown protests today. The live reddit feed is showing a lot of people at a lot of different cities.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Looks like we're going inside

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The world's largest Good Cop/Bad Cop routine is going down, right now

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

AngrySpork posted:

Good lord, I assume I'm hearing the LRAD?

Yes and the video does not do it justice. I live in Pittsburgh, was out and about for the G20 when it was abused as they were pointing it not just at protesters and marchers with indifference but also at people's homes at people who were looking out their windows wondering what was going on. While running for cover (I ducked inside a bar) I was blasted with the LRAD for only the briefest of seconds but jesus christ my left ear has not been the same since.

Just before I got blasted, I remember one grandmother, right by the Stephen Foster home yelled from her porch that her grandchildren were sleeping only for them to target her until she went back inside. Rocks and other objects were then thrown at the LRAD operator and the tear gas started to flow after that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rygar201 posted:

Hahahahaha :v:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Inside the church, introducing some community leaders

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming

Rygar201 posted:

This. So this

geeves posted:

LRAD info.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it caused permanent damage. I just thought it made you nauseous and unbearably uncomfortable

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Good Cop
Bad Cop
White Cop
Black Cop

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Make Captain Johnson the next chief of police unironically.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Captain Johnson 2016

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The local Fox affiliate is livestreaming. Just a video feed, no commentary.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AngrySpork posted:

This. So this

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it caused permanent damage. I just thought it made you nauseous and unbearably uncomfortable

It doesn't do the latter and it can do the former. It's not some magic sci-fi device. It's basically just a very efficient loudspeaker that is more compact and can deliver more dBs than traditional speakers so it causes permanent damage if it's not used properly (volume too high at too close a range). The high pitched siren is supposed to be for crowd dispersal but by the book it should only be set at a level that is uncomfortable but below the damage point. It also is used to give directions from greater distances than traditional megaphones. I've been on both ends of one and yes, earplugs and muffs are effective.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

The local Fox affiliate is livestreaming. Just a video feed, no commentary.

Got my daily "cars honking" regimen taken care of.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's also really heartening that there seems to be a surprisingly broad consensus for rolling back police militarization as a result of this: I think there's a good chance that the 1033 program get significantly pulled back as a result of this. The amazing difference in responses that militarized tactics vs. good tactics got is basically impossible to deny.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

evilweasel posted:

It's also really heartening that there seems to be a surprisingly broad consensus for rolling back police militarization as a result of this: I think there's a good chance that the 1033 program get significantly pulled back as a result of this. The amazing difference in responses that militarized tactics vs. good tactics got is basically impossible to deny.

Optimism in D&D? Mods???

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The county police and the state police seem to be like night and day. But I hope that having better cops doesn't lead to the protest dying down. This is something that really ought to spread rather than be pacified.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Like if they want to keep the SWAT gear (helmets, cool POLICE camo BP-vests, etc) but please take away their automatics and heavy armored oppression wagons, not even the local cops around here have automatics, but they do have AR-15s, and we're supposedly ON THE FRONT LINES OF THE WAR ON DRUGS & ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

evilweasel posted:

The anti-militarization wave will probably disappear pretty quickly once all the tension dies off, but the difference between showing up kitted out with tactical gear and showing up with your regular gear and talking to the people involved is definitely night and day. People were angry because they were hurt and just acknowledging that and acknowledging them went so far.

Really, more than anti-militarization, the police need to be trained in empathy and de-escalation. This was a situation that could have been handled far easier on Saturday or Sunday night than waiting this long.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Changing the culture of the police in the US is the real hard part though. All the equipment doesn't matter unless you have a culture that promotes aggressiveness, lack of critical thinking skills, no community interaction, and a "shootfirst, ask questions later" mentality that appears to be standard operating procedure now.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ShutteredIn posted:

Optimism in D&D? Mods???

Agent Optimisteur

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

bassguitarhero posted:

The anti-militarization wave will probably disappear pretty quickly once all the tension dies off, but the difference between showing up kitted out with tactical gear and showing up with your regular gear and talking to the people involved is definitely night and day. People were angry because they were hurt and just acknowledging that and acknowledging them went so far.

Really, more than anti-militarization, the police need to be trained in empathy and de-escalation. This was a situation that could have been handled far easier on Saturday or Sunday night than waiting this long.

Yeah I don't actually think any of this equipment is a problem in and of itself (though we could have a conversation about increase in no-knock raids, etc), it's the idea that you should show up to a protest looking like you're ready to kill everyone. Like what the gently caress, whose idea was that?

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Amazing that hugs, handshakes, and talkin actually worked better than tear gas, lrads, beanbag rounds, rubber bullets, and cops waving around m4s or whatever the gently caress.

Hippy poo poo working, that's awesome.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Here's the Post-Dispatch on Johnson's role in de-escalating things. Obvious stuff now, but something to link later I guess.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Are protesters going to go home now that they're best friends with a "nice" cop, or will they still force the Feds to investigate and get some harsher laws against police brutality?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Feds won't back off the investigation once protests dies down (which they likely will in a few days), but no chance at tougher laws against cops.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Most people are milling around outside or walking back. I'm going back to to the command post to see what's up

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Xandu posted:

Yeah I don't actually think any of this equipment is a problem in and of itself (though we could have a conversation about increase in no-knock raids, etc), it's the idea that you should show up to a protest looking like you're ready to kill everyone. Like what the gently caress, whose idea was that?

The equipment can be a problem in the sense that people mistake toys for good training. Rolling out fancy new things can be way sexier to voters than good police work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Are protesters going to go home now that they're best friends with a "nice" cop, or will they still force the Feds to investigate and get some harsher laws against police brutality?

The ACLU is filing a zillion lawsuits related to all this so I don't think St Louis is getting out of this easily.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

The equipment can be a problem in the sense that people mistake toys for good training. Rolling out fancy new things can be way sexier to voters than good police work

Sexier to cops, too, but yeah, giving them these toys makes them went to use them even when they aren't appropriate.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I like how the newly appointed cop to take over the security just happened to be a Black guy. And how the Governor made sure to surround himself with Black people while he made his press speech.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

the posted:

I like how the newly appointed cop to take over the security just happened to be a Black guy.

Well, he also happened to be someone from the local community who knew what the gently caress he was doing, so maybe a good choice?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Cease to Hope posted:

Here's the Post-Dispatch on Johnson's role in de-escalating things. Obvious stuff now, but something to link later I guess.

Lest you suspect that the assholes who put their christian names on all the racist venom are a special occasion. EVERY article in the Post-Dispatch has a comments section that is just like this.

If there were any justice in this world "Post Dispatch Top Commenter" would be an impediment to employment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the posted:

I like how the newly appointed cop to take over the security just happened to be a Black guy. And how the Governor made sure to surround himself with Black people while he made his press speech.

I'm imagining the governor telling the state troopers to put the highest ranking black cop in the state in charge.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

quote:

"Earlier today at a gathering at Christ the King United Church of Christ Nixon"
Phrasing.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It doesn't do the latter and it can do the former. It's not some magic sci-fi device. It's basically just a very efficient loudspeaker that is more compact and can deliver more dBs than traditional speakers so it causes permanent damage if it's not used properly (volume too high at too close a range). The high pitched siren is supposed to be for crowd dispersal but by the book it should only be set at a level that is uncomfortable but below the damage point. It also is used to give directions from greater distances than traditional megaphones. I've been on both ends of one and yes, earplugs and muffs are effective.

There is a microwave? laser that might do more of what he's thinking. I don't know if it was this thread or the GBS thread with the 60 Minutes clip.

But yes, 150+ dB at close range (less than 50 yards) is incredibly dangerous.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm not saying it's bad that people were able to use it, but there should be better tools for that purpose. Twitter is built around a stupid loving gimmick that limits sentence length and was built with celebrity publicity in mind, which is kind of at odds with the dead serious need to show police brutality and civil rights violations to the world.

I can't wait for the vine videos that just loop a kid getting his head smashed open into infinity because nobody bothered to make a non-joke phone interface with the internet.

Thats fair. I appreciate how Twitters limit forces people to get to the point but it still IS a limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

the posted:

This is both the correct thing to do, and not in any way a sign that things will be fixed to any meaningful degree.

It's like the Gaza Ceasefire of racial politics.

• Locked thread