Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It was fun watching the mall prices after the origin of flask flops were finally revealed in chat. Didn't quite get in on that cash train, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
How would one go about Mafia gCLIing turning in booze?

I can visit the store by calling place.php, and I got the choiceadventure number (973) and set it... but Mafia doesn't autochoose.

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice

sfwarlock posted:

I can visit the store by calling place.php, and I got the choiceadventure number (973) and set it... but Mafia doesn't autochoose.

Here's how you'd do it in ash:
code:
void turnInHooch()
{
	set_property("choiceAdventure973", 2);

visit_url("place.php?whichplace=twitch&action=twitch_shoerepair");
	run_combat(); // Also handles choice adventures
}

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sfwarlock posted:

code:
set choiceAdventure973 = 2

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Does Mafia have an auto-pvp thing that I can't find? Seems like it should

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
pvp (x fights) flowers/loot/fame

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

tripwood posted:

pvp (x fights) flowers/loot/fame

Bless you

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
How do I activate or load the Price Gun script for kolmafia? It's in adobe acrobat format and it doesn't show up on the file list for my scripts folder when I try loading it into the program.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
So the new iotm seems lovely. The only part of it with hardcore usefulness is the +combat, but it's luck of the draw to get that item. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

It's a grimoire, it will have edge use with a couple items and be otherwise terrible.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Not_Log posted:

It's a grimoire, it will have edge use with a couple items and be otherwise terrible.

Agreed, get it for the entertainment factor, not the sperglord min-max hardcore optimal factor.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
It may produce special items in the next challenge path, as the Thinknerd Grimoire produced Classy Monkeys for the first Class Act run. But yeah, grimoires are mainly for the entertainment factor. I bought one.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Thank you all for reminding me to go buy a grimoire. Better do that when I get home before I forget again.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Worth it for the groll dolls and kick me signs

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best strategy for reaching level 30? I just reached the sea and have some monster level adjustments equipped (the smiths tome helped a lot), but is there more I can be doing? Is this just going to be one big long grind?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stool Sample posted:

What's the best strategy for reaching level 30? I just reached the sea and have some monster level adjustments equipped (the smiths tome helped a lot), but is there more I can be doing? Is this just going to be one big long grind?

its best to find some scaling monsters to beat up on

spring break beach, fernswarthy's basement, transporter transponders, etc

they'll scale to your stats, so you can easilly outclass anything from the sea et al

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

ayn rand hand job posted:

its best to find some scaling monsters to beat up on

spring break beach, fernswarthy's basement, transporter transponders, etc

they'll scale to your stats, so you can easilly outclass anything from the sea et al

sounds good to me, totally forgot about the basement

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Stool Sample posted:

Scaling monsters. Buff your main stat as high as you can and take on the video game dungeon (scales to 10,000), the shield generator (scales to 5,000 and gives lunar isotopes), or the diner on Spring Break Beach (doesn't require a consumable). Remember to bring a Sombrero, a Baby Sandworm, or a Galloping Grill.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Any guesses or Word Of Devs on whether you still get a bottle day if you start a run in-season but finish out of season?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

IMJack posted:

Scaling monsters. Buff your main stat as high as you can and take on the video game dungeon (scales to 10,000), the shield generator (scales to 5,000 and gives lunar isotopes), or the diner on Spring Break Beach (doesn't require a consumable). Remember to bring a Sombrero, a Baby Sandworm, or a Galloping Grill.

So the wiki is out of date in terms of ML formula for those monsters - is mainstat always the stats to boost? How small of a bonus do we think helps to increase ML, and at what point is a straight ML boost better in a slot.

That said I'm tempted to sneak a tiny bit of +item drop in where I can, even at the cost of some small amount of stats, so I can make running dungeons break even and do them forever until I'm a bit higher in level - I'm going to delve for another telescope piece I've decided.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

inkmoth posted:

So the wiki is out of date in terms of ML formula for those monsters - is mainstat always the stats to boost? How small of a bonus do we think helps to increase ML, and at what point is a straight ML boost better in a slot.

Unless it's changed recently, 1 point of mainstat = 1 point of ML for stat gain purposes with scaling monsters. At the point where you want to be levelling from scaling monsters, you're almost certainly better off wearing percentage-based mainstat increases than absolute ML increasers.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

inkmoth posted:

That said I'm tempted to sneak a tiny bit of +item drop in where I can, even at the cost of some small amount of stats, so I can make running dungeons break even and do them forever until I'm a bit higher in level - I'm going to delve for another telescope piece I've decided.

For a lot of older scaling monsters, Monster Attack was directly tied to Moxie. After a while they tied it to main stat instead.

Stat gains scale directly proportionally to Monster Level, so increasing ML by +Monster Level enchanted gear or +Stat gear is worth the same.

It's just easier to jack up your mainstat by percentage bonuses and not stick to flat increases like Monster Level.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Any guesses or Word Of Devs on whether you still get a bottle day if you start a run in-season but finish out of season?

According to this post the answer would be no. The Type 69 restrictions drop, and you still get bonus karma but no bottled day.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
So apparently this is a thing:

Discuss.

Shades of April Fool's Days gone by...

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

I'm super glad my main isn't one of the accounts with ads. This is all kinds of disappointing.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
This isn't funny. :smith:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
So that's why Jick said on the last radio show "Welcome to the last Kingdom of Loathing podcast before everyone hates us and everything sucks forever."

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

So that's why Jick said on the last radio show "Welcome to the last Kingdom of Loathing podcast before everyone hates us and everything sucks forever."

How much do they need exactly? They already have digital crack known as IOTM. Does Jick want to buy a yacht?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

huggernaut posted:

I'm super glad my main isn't one of the accounts with ads. This is all kinds of disappointing.

I for one will certainly not be turning off adblock for this page to find out if I'm affected. Schrödinger's website says Jick still loves me.

That said, I will keep buying iotms with my :10bux: to hopefully keep the game running.

E:I guess we can look forward to power-creep heavy IOTMs :10bux:

inkmoth fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 12, 2014

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Dante Logos posted:

How much do they need exactly? They already have digital crack known as IOTM. Does Jick want to buy a yacht?

It'd take over one thousand Mr. A purchases to pay one person working on the game a poverty wage.

Factor in server, offices, and equipment costs, yachts, etc, and it makes sense.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

I think they just work out of Jick's basement so you can cross off most of those things.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Not_Log posted:

I think they just work out of Jick's basement so you can cross off most of those things.

Nah, it looked like a real office on the last live stream. Unless he keeps a jackhammer testing facility in his sub-basement.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not entirely sure how effective this'll be - kol has a lot of people automating it (I wouldn't be surprised if that actually exceeds the number of people playing it straight, at least on a per-pageview basis), so unless they do something to distinguish that traffic from actual eyeballs they're going to get pathetic CTR or even just straight-up kicked off ad networks.

At least the fact that they're A/B testing it rather than going all-in suggests that they're open to changing things in order to get a good compromise between getting the revenue they need and not screwing up the look-and-feel of the game.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Jabor posted:

I'm not entirely sure how effective this'll be - kol has a lot of people automating it (I wouldn't be surprised if that actually exceeds the number of people playing it straight, at least on a per-pageview basis), so unless they do something to distinguish that traffic from actual eyeballs they're going to get pathetic CTR or even just straight-up kicked off ad networks.

I'm worried that because of this, Mafia will go away.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I imagine that if mafia went away it would basically be the end of KoL anyway. I bet a lot of people simply wouldn't play without it.

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice
Mafia sends a custom user agent so they can tell that traffic is coming from it and not normal page hits.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Don't they work at the Idle Thumbs/Campo Santo office? Or is that just where they record the podcast?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Fun fact, the person sodomizing Jick in that picture is me, 8 years ago. (original) That was a fun house party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jabor posted:

At least the fact that they're A/B testing it rather than going all-in suggests that they're open to changing things in order to get a good compromise between getting the revenue they need and not screwing up the look-and-feel of the game.

Pretty sure the "A/B testing" is using the old nodelete flag -- if you've ever donated or kept a Mr. A. in your inventory over a rollover, you don't see ads-- please chime in if your experience contradicts this, though. I can't argue with not showing ads to anyone who's ever donated, $10 offering a permanent no-ads seems like a pretty decent deal and I can't imagine playing the game even semi-seriously and never grabbing a Mr. A-- are these ads showing up off the bat for new accounts, though? Not that I think that's "unfair" in any way but I think that may exacerbate the shrinking userbase problem that necessitated the ads in the first place; it's a hard enough game to get into and if I were brand new the presence of big-rear end "COME PLAY, MY LORD" banners on either side of the adventure window might just be enough to make me say gently caress it.

• Locked thread