Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Personally I don't do it, but I have friends who do. My opinion is you tip for the service you receive when you go out to eat: Bring me food/drink/wet naps/whatever, refills, clear plates, etc. It's a meal without any of the hassle that goes along with it, I have no issue tipping someone to do that for me. We very rarely get delivery but when we do I tip them as well, I just really see no reason to tip when I get takeout. The argument I hear the most is it takes effort for someone to pack up the food so it's ready to go, which I get but I'm not sure it's worth a tip.

I know tipping varies in prevalence around the world, but I think it's an interesting topic almost everyone has an opinion on. I'd also like to hear what people in the industry think about tipping for takeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I find tipping just enables the poors to not boot strap themselves so I never tip.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
tipping is such a scam. i don't ever do it

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Here we go.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
No tipping for take out, plus if I get take out, it's almost always from a family run restaurant.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Usually the host does takeout because they actually get paid min wage. Tipping then becomes the bonus it should be and not the subsidation of wages by cheap resturant owners that it has become.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

InterceptorV8 posted:

No tipping for take out, plus if I get take out, it's almost always from a family run restaurant.
but what if they have a little takeout jar u risk feeling like a jerk

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
something something mr pink something europe something something...

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i only tip for circumcised waiters who are on an airplane on a treadmill that's .99999....=1 mile long (gun control)

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
I hope you die in a brush fire for starting this thread.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
every server you tip adequately is another liberal who opts out of revolution because things aren't that bad

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Smeego posted:

but what if they have a little takeout jar u risk feeling like a jerk

Pay with a Credit and or Debit card.

I don't tip the people bagging my groceries, so why would I on take out?

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
If there's a jar, why not? Throw in a dollar. If not, no.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

a tipping thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTfJR6HBrg
http://www.ebony.com/news-views/are-black-people-really-bad-tippers-981#axzz3AUAGuxlf

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i only tip for circumcised waiters who are on an airplane on a treadmill that's .99999....=1 mile long (gun control)

was gunna post something about circumcision but you did it even more subtley and better. :bravo:

i only give the tip if it's a sexy hostess. that way she will remember me so when i msg her on tinder, she'll be dtf the nice goonerosity gentleman who tipped his takeout. otherwise nah

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 15, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

But only when I'm in Gaza.

f0rce
Aug 26, 2007
<^.^>
If I get a large takeout order I like to throw ~5-10% just because people rarely tip for takeout. Even though its just a few bucks they are much more likely to remember you and make sure your order is correct, prepared quickly, and properly packaged. For a restaurant that does mostly sit down dining, takeout orders are considered a pain by the staff. If they are busy its understandable that your takeout order is not their top priority when they have a room full of hungry impatient dinners. A little bit goes a long way.

I should also add that it is common for servers to be taxed and required to tip out on their total sales, not their actual tips. If you place a $100 takeout order they may have to tip out ~$6 on that order plus a few $ for taxes. Its understandable you may not want to tip on a takeout, but its unfair to COST someone money to prepare your takeout.

f0rce fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 15, 2014

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I tip only when the cook can see me tip so I get larger servings as a regular.

Make sure to smile at the cook when you tip so they know whats up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
i work at a fancy restaurant at a very nice resort hotel. most people dont tip for takeout, but some leave a few dollars. its very very rare for someone to leave 20% unless its on just a coffee or something. the tip goes to the hostess who makes $8/hr otherwise.

some people get takeout and eat it in their room so they dont have to pay a 20% room service delivery fee.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Mrs Manners tipping guideline for take out is:

Take Out

No obligation
10% for extra service (curb delivery) or a large, complicated order

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Shrinkage posted:

i tell my chefs which customers dont tip.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i don't tip for takeout generally bcause I tip mainly for good service but I don't know if someone left a steamer in my food until after I've already gotten and paid for the takeout

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Shrinkage posted:

crappy tipping regulars are the worst

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
Just throw a buck in the little thing next to the register you cheap prick.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort,

sup 4 diamond resort buddy :hfive:

keys, colorado, or elsewhere?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.
Sounds like your employer is loving you. You should quit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LorneReams posted:

he should certainly document everything precisely so he can do something about it when he does decide to quit

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If I have to perform any aspect of the restaurant service myself then I do not tip.

So at a pub or restaurant where you order at a checkout then they bring your food I do not tip.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, I was just talking about pizza places and the like. I've never gotten takeout from a real restaurant, and if I do (which I won't), I'll be sure to tip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LorneReams posted:

for real

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Okay, I'll confess here. I always tip when eat at a restaurant, but I usually do not tip if I'm getting takeout from a restaurant.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
i tip 25% at sitdown restaurants or for bar drinks, and ~10% for takeout. it ends up being a negligible amount of money in the big picture, and gets me better service and often free poo poo at the restaurants i go to on a regular basis.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Okay, I'll confess here. I always tip when eat at a restaurant, but I usually do not tip if I'm getting takeout from a restaurant.

You should BURN in HELL.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wait are we talking about that curbside takeaway from applebees or whatever bullshit? if so, then lol

i never tip if im picking up a pizza or some sandwiches or whatever.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Your employer docking your wages in a way that's almost certainly illegal isn't the customer's fault, and I say this as someone who would tip for the scenario you describe. Binding arbitration isn't a free pass to break the law.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

univbee posted:

Binding arbitration isn't a free pass to break the law.
No, it pretty much is.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Crunk Abortion posted:

I don't think your rant applies to when I run in and grab some egg rolls or something from my local chinese place. Those people are typically just running the register.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Your employer docking your wages in a way that's almost certainly illegal isn't the customer's fault, and I say this as someone who would tip for the scenario you describe. Binding arbitration isn't a free pass to break the law.

Yeah, I don't think you have to pay taxes on income you haven't earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

FogHelmut posted:

wait are we talking about that curbside takeaway from applebees or whatever bullshit? if so, then lol

i never tip if im picking up a pizza or some sandwiches or whatever.

I'm talking any restaurant. Pizza place, Applebees, the nice Greek place down the street... I usually don't tip if I'm getting takeout.

I go out to eat a lot, but only get takeout a handful of times per year. They usually just take my card over the phone and when I get there they just hand me the food. I normally never have to take out my wallet during the process.

• Locked thread