Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thank you. Uh huh.
Thank you. Uh huh.

What the gently caress does uh huh mean? Is it short for you're welcome? Am I not welcome. Do you not feel you are worth being thanked.

Society is crumbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
uh huh

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
it means the thanks wasn't appreciated or needed, idiot. I do this sometimes when somebody needlessly says "be well" or "have a good day" and I say: "Yup" and then walk off

Badass
Apr 14, 2014

Its like mhhm but more formal

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

tbh i hate "you're welcome" almost as much. i used to work at a restaurant and obviously we'd say "thank you" to our customers. usually, they'd be normal and say "thank you" back, but sometimes it was "you're welcome" and it usually spiked my blood pressure a little. as if we should be so grateful that you graced us with your presence that we might be allowed serve you, your majesty.

in conclusion, "you're welcome" is generally the worst response to "thank you."

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

LifeSizePotato posted:

tbh i hate "you're welcome" almost as much. i used to work at a restaurant and obviously we'd say "thank you" to our customers. usually, they'd be normal and say "thank you" back, but sometimes it was "you're welcome" and it usually spiked my blood pressure a little. as if we should be so grateful that you graced us with your presence that we might be allowed serve you, your majesty.

People say "you're welcome" because they are running on autopilot & "you're welcome" is what you are taught to say in response to "thank you" when you are a little kid & learning manners. You're welcome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Trixie Hardcore posted:

People say "you're welcome" because they are running on autopilot & "you're welcome" is what you are taught to say in response to "thank you" when you are a little kid & learning manners. You're welcome.

Thank you.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

i know, but it's not even good autopilot. "how are you?" "fine." that's okay. "you're welcome" is just tainted with condescension, at least in this autistic goon's opinion.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

LifeSizePotato posted:

you're autistic and you're welcome for the diagnosis

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

jackyl posted:

you're autistic and you're welcome for the diagnosis

thank you

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i say no problemo then throw up the shaka

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

You too

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

uh huh

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
A: here's your bloomin' onion with extra dippin' sauces

B: ...

A: ...

B: ...

A: you're welcome!

B: uh huh

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
If I can tell someone speaks Tagalog, I'll usually say 'Salamat' and then 'Walang Anuman'.

Arabic is 'Shukran' and you're welcome is 'Afwan'

Ordu, Punjabi and Hindi is 'Shukriya'.

You can be polite to a few billion people with just a few words. I think that's pretty cool.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I say "No problem." to being thanked. Even if it was a huge loving problem.
I want my new auto response to be "You goddamn better."

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I mostly say "you're welcome" when people say thanks for a thing I did, but when I am given service I like to say "no thank YOU!" Or "that was lovely, you did a great job". But sometimes "you're welcome" just kinda falls out and makes it awkward for everyone.

I don't think I've ever said "uh huh" in response to "thank you".

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

One time I was mad at my husband and he said "I love you" and I said "GOOD SO YOU SHOULD". It felt harsh.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

no problem
sure thing
you bet
happy to help
thank you
don't mention it
any time
uh huh
ain't no thang, brotha

these all sound better than "you're welcome" 99% of the time

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its what they say when they don't like or care about you

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I thought it's just a southwestern United States thing

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

no problem
sure thing
you bet
happy to help
thank you
don't mention it
any time
uh huh
ain't no thang, brotha

these all sound better than "you're welcome" 99% of the time

I know, and they were all beaten out of me when I did call centre work. They were very definite about phrases you could and could not say. "No problem" was absolutely forbidden as the word "problem" might cause someone to think about problems, and "any time" suggested that people should call when they didn't need to. Lots of others were considered not formal enough. That call centre was weird as poo poo and hosed me up more than the years I spent doing every drug I could get my hands on.
I don't do many drugs any more but I do still say "that's correct" instead of "yeah" too often for comfort.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSizePotato posted:

I totally agree because I worked in the food service industry for a while, I don't think people who have nevcer held a service job would understand.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
From what I've seen, often people working a cash register have been trained to thank their customers for their purchasing goods.
I try to confuse them by thanking them first, for I would not be able to purchase their goods without them selling them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

From what I've seen, often people working a cash register have been trained to thank their customers for their purchasing goods.
I try to confuse them by thanking them first, for I would not be able to purchase their goods without them selling them.

I always try to say 'have a nice day' before the cashier can.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I do this all the time, and it goes a long way towards making people not feel like poo poo.
Thank ya
Thank you!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
more like YER SMELL CUM amirite

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

No problem.

LifeSizePotato posted:

i know, but it's not even good autopilot. "how are you?" "fine." that's okay. "you're welcome" is just tainted with condescension, at least in this autistic goon's opinion.

Your welcome.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what a polite young thread

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
"Uh huh" is awful, but the bitching about "you're welcome" is ridiculous.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

high levels of autism detected

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
gonna bookmark this autism thread for later

e: THnak you ^^ your welcum

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Eye-contact, a smile, and a nod is more than sufficient as a response to common courtesy. You don't have to loving say anything at all.

But I guess for some of you making eye-contact with strangers is traumatic or something, so you need to debate which choice of meaningless spoken platitude is better or worse than others as you stare at the floor and shuffle away.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 16, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
No prob, buddy!

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

ninotoreS posted:

Eye-contact, a smile, and a nod is more than sufficient as a response to common courtesy. You don't have to loving say anything at all.

But I guess for some of making eye-contact with strangers is traumatic or something.

I agree with the eye contact, but I'd prefer to say something along with it. I don't want to do some Charlie Chaplin routine.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
"Thank you"

"gently caress my shitter"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I have no idea what this stupid thread is about but the OP is a human being.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i usually say "no worries" or if they say "havea good day" i'll say "you too"

hard to handle

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

or if im having a bad day i'll say "some worries, brah" and tweak my tiny nipples ha ha it's a reference to a popular situational comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anything that isn't "okay gently caress off" coming out of my mouth when people say thank you is just an accident

• Locked thread