Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it was probably edgy in its day, but it doesn't hold a candle to George RR Martin. First of all, the whole plot gets spoiled for you in the first act. There's no incest or tits or dragons, and you don't even see Lady Macbeth kill herself. It's so bad most actors won't even mention it by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
Macwho?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

king lear is better

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Copley Depot posted:

Yeah it was probably edgy in its day, but it doesn't hold a candle to George RR Martin.

Shakespeare finished Macbeth.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
But in fact their IS incest, OP; by the standards of the time, the cucking of the old king by his brother was considered INCESTOUS

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
roman polanski's version is pretty good. the sword fight at the end owns and i dont htink it is overrated at all

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
isnt he the groundskeepr on the sampsons

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Banquo 4 lyfe

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I liked Macbeth, but hated Hamlet. What a whiny doucher.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I personally liked Othello more as it gives us a new and exciting take on the tradition interracial cuckolding scenario.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Helical Nightmares posted:

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

baw posted:

roman polanski's version is pretty good. the sword fight at the end owns and i dont htink it is overrated at all

The Polanski version is great.

Also: Kozintsev's Hamlet and King Lear are the best film adaptations of Shakespeare.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
And if you want to watch other adaptations of Macbeth, skip Orson Welles's one. He did a good job with Othello and Henry IV, but his Macbeth stinks. Ian McKellen was in a good version in the 70s (which is probably impossible to find), and Patrick Stewart was in a decent version recently (though it was all modernized and stupid -- I guess Macbeth is supposed to be a modern dictator or something in it?).

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Op needs his tongue ripped out, and his hands chopped off.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

as long as we can all agree that keanu reeves is the greatest living shakespearian actor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's cool in a sense that the Manson cult brutally murdered Roman Polanski's wife so that modern cinema could finally get one sick-rear end take on Macbeth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Parallax Scroll posted:

king lear is better

yeah but that's hardly a fair comparison

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hamlet is better

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
othello's the weakest of the big four

baw
Nov 5, 2008

rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead is better than hamlet

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

baw posted:

rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead is better than hamlet

no loving way. though i did like the hamlet in the film adaptation.

now that he killed himself, robin williams was a brilliant osric in retrospect

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
OUT, OUT, DAMNED OP

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i loving hate reading shakespeare and i will never enjoy his plays or adaptations of them.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i thnik reading shakespeare is dumb, in general

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
watching it being performed is better, but they always edit out stuff. and when they don't, you get monstrosities like branagh's hamlet

baw
Nov 5, 2008

what is the worst film adaptation of a shakespeare play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

baw posted:

what is the worst film adaptation of a shakespeare play

Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet has not aged well at all.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
the worst i've seen is the ethan hawke hamlet (bill murray as polonius!)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, Ethan Hawke Hamlet is pretty loving bad.

The "To be or not to be" soliloquy is given in a Blockbuster video in the "Action" aisles (GET IT!?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxAvnTaw7A

I once had a teacher who thought that because of the contemporary setting my class would relate to it better and "get" what Shakespeare was going for. I think my class was really dumb for her to have thought that. Like special ed dumb.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet has not aged well at all.

oh, yeah. this one really sucks too.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i have good memories of it, i remember mercutio's death scene being great. i was in my teens when i saw it tho

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
but at least romeo + juliet had a lot of stupid poo poo going on all the time. ethan hawke hamlet is really boring all the way through.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

now that i think about it literally the only part i remember is the mercutio death scene

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Exactly. Romeo + Juliet is retarded, but it has retard energy and strength in most if not all of its scenes. Ethan Hawke Hamlet is that weird early 00s pre 9/11 rich NYC ennui personified in a very bad way. When Bill Murray can't salvage your picture, it's loving terrible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

baw posted:

i have good memories of it, i remember mercutio's death scene being great. i was in my teens when i saw it tho

There's an annoying cut every second and half the cast just shouts their lines like they don't understand what the gently caress they're saying. I actually don't hate the Ethan Hawke Hamlet, though. I know I probably should, but it's at least watchable in a tidy 90 minutes and does some interesting things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you want to see one kickass Shakespeare adaptation from the whole regrettable "MTV movies" period of the late 90s, watch Anthony Hopkins' Titus Andronicus.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i watched it for a class after reading the play. the play was weird as poo poo and didnt even seem like something shakespeare would write and the movie well lol

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If you want to see one kickass Shakespeare adaptation from the whole regrettable "MTV movies" period of the late 90s, watch Anthony Hopkins' Titus Andronicus.

this is indeed good. julie taymour did an adaptation of the tempest a few years ago. i haven't seen it, but it wasn't well received

it's sad that no one wants to adapt henry iv because it's split into two plays. it's probably his fourth best play, behind hamlet, macbeth, and king lear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Bitches leave. The best Macbeth is Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.

• Locked thread