Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite part of an atom
neutron
proton
electron
View Results

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the thing about atoms is that theres a lot of space. the electron cloud is really big relative to the rest of a molecule and even the protons and neutrons are only held together tenuously. its all very precarious. it also makes you think

everything down past that is just really complicated, and really hard, and is down and sideways and up. its beyond high school physics and i really dont get it

heres a picture of a higgs boson for reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Parasitic new age religious movements/death cults loving ruined the public perception of quantum mechanics.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

We are all made of stars

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
its all bullshit. lol. who thought of this crud?

yeah dude, totally. atoms. the smallest unit. riiiiiiight, I'll beleive it when I see it xD

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

The Bananana posted:

We are all made of stars

not necessarily if you're entirely made of hydrogen

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Al Cowens posted:

Parasitic new age religious movements/death cults loving ruined the public perception of quantum mechanics.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What if our solar system was just a molecule in a huge space trucker's rear end?

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Can you list me one loving single actual merit of "Science" and "physics" other than giving thousands of saggy-ballsacked old men cushy academia jobs and inventing nuclear warffare?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

my religious belief is the last scene of MIB

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
this life poo poo is wild forreal

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

same

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sabel, what the bleep do you know?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

whats that episode of the simpsons where at the start it zooms in really far and thers molecules and then it goes further and further and the moleules i don't know what they are turn into the solar system and then it goes in more and goes back to the simpsons sitting on the couch and then i think homer says "whoa"

or maybe it's the other way around

that was pretty cool but i had the same idea once when i was stoned

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

killaer posted:

its all bullshit. lol. who thought of this crud?

yeah dude, totally. atoms. the smallest unit. riiiiiiight, I'll beleive it when I see it xD

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im gonna stick some protons up my cock iykwim

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
iw ant 2 die

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
The electron seems to be the most dynamic of the "molecules." I liked that whole concept of "electron density" vs strictly positional certainty of any electron at any time but it doesnt make much sense I mean quantum physics seems to be like on the EDGE of the fathomable physical phenomenon universe timesphere.

Electrons move for electricity and chemical interactions, COOL. But what does it actually MEAN? I mean computers and stuff is cool but what if we went to a more rustic state of mind? Who needs electrons?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
i just wanted an excuse to post that cause it was cool. thanks bro

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

if u cut a sperm in half and then cut that in half and so on eventually u will find a tiny baby makes u think...~~

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Al Cowens posted:

but how can you relly know anything maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

turdriver posted:

iw ant 2 die

sam

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
This is legit something I never reconciled with - Why is the conception of the DNA double-helix directly tied to the LSD trips of two scientists who stole most of the research notes from some girl scientist? I dont get it

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
wat

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

THS posted:

the electron cloud is really big relative to the rest of a molecule

An electron is not a cloud. The electron is only in one place at a time. If you map out the places it is likely to be, that looks like a cloud. But that is not the same as being a cloud.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

killaer posted:

The electron seems to be the most dynamic of the "molecules." I liked that whole concept of "electron density" vs strictly positional certainty of any electron at any time but it doesnt make much sense I mean quantum physics seems to be like on the EDGE of the fathomable physical phenomenon universe timesphere.

Electrons move for electricity and chemical interactions, COOL. But what does it actually MEAN? I mean computers and stuff is cool but what if we went to a more rustic state of mind? Who needs electrons?

electron seems to be winning. a pretty cool thing considering how unpredictable it is electrons are fuckin weird. they just move too fast? is it even a thing you could take a picture of with a good enough camera?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
dying like gives me a freak out seizure every once in awhilw but its chiilll

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Maneck posted:

An electron is not a cloud. The electron is only in one place at a time. If you map out the places it is likely to be, that looks like a cloud. But that is not the same as being a cloud.

dude i loving know that this is just a way to understand it, like how fast it is. like my earlier question i guess we just need a fast enough camera and then bohr will be vindicated

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

THS posted:

the electron cloud is really big relative to the rest of a molecule
kind of like how the pubic bush is very large compared to the rest of the genitals... makes u think,..

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

you wanna talk about molecules? here's some loving molecules for ya

http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/anim_innerlife.html

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Prettz posted:

you wanna talk about molecules? here's some loving molecules for ya

http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/anim_innerlife.html
ha nice try but i dont watch anime :cool:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I believe in the one-electron universe.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
my dunmbass got a chem degree hahahahaha

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

something i really appreciate about scientists is that were currently hitting the limit of moore's law, like real physical limitations to silicon chips. videogames will not become real until we overcome this. right now they are focusing on lowering power consumption and adding more cores to my graphics card and i hope its enough

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

my dunmbass got a chem degree hahahahaha

science degree bros :smith: :respek: :smith:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pro my neut rear end

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

THS posted:

something i really appreciate about scientists is that were currently hitting the limit of moore's law, like real physical limitations to silicon chips. videogames will not become real until we overcome this. right now they are focusing on lowering power consumption and adding more cores to my graphics card and i hope its enough
some day... some day nerds will be able to experience the real world...

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

this is interesting and all but i really want to know what episode of the simpsons that intro was in

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i work in IT so im just riding the benefits of modern physics with little to no understanding. im selling people office 365 subscriptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

THS posted:

im selling people office 365 subscriptions
you monster

• Locked thread