Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I'm a tough old cop with a heart of gold and nothing to lose so I tell the person to gently caress off when they thank me for saving they're famil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lonesomedwarf posted:

i usually say "no worries" or if they say "havea good day" i'll say "you too"

hard to handle
you loving bastard. you are required by common decency to reply to "thank you" with either "I love you" or murder the thanker

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

lonesomedwarf posted:

i usually say "no worries" or if they say "havea good day" i'll say "you too"

hard to handle

I reflexively say "no worries" to people to make them feel better when there are indeed worries. It's a short way to say "I'll fix it myself".

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

btw everyone itt who claims to respond to "thank you" with anything other than incomprehensible nerd mumblings is lying

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I generally just use "You're welcome :)" in most cases. I use "No Problem" as well, probably a bit more than the other reply honestly.

It took me nearly 2 years to change from "See ya" as a default goodbye message on phone calls to "Later" or "Ok peace", but then I got my poo poo together and settled on "Have a good one :)" or "Yep! Take it easy. :)" and its all been gravy

Inflection is key, which is why I used the smilies. If you dont come off as generally friendly, you've gotta work on your mannerisms and poo poo and thats a WHOLE other can of worms!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I hate it when people ask you "How you doing?" and if you say "Okay" they are like "Just okay?"

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

you're soooo good lookin'

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

jackyl posted:

you're autistic and you're welcome for the diagnosis

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I hate it when people ask you "How you doing?" and if you say "Okay" they are like "Just okay?"

Sort of similar, but I hate "Its going" as a reply to "How's it going?", above all. Because then I'm forced into either "Heh I hear ya" or just nodding solemnly.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I hate this.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Sort of similar, but I hate "Its going" as a reply to "How's it going?", above all. Because then I'm forced into either "Heh I hear ya" or just nodding solemnly.

I hate this too.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

I generally just use "You're welcome :)" in most cases. I use "No Problem" as well, probably a bit more than the other reply honestly.

It took me nearly 2 years to change from "See ya" as a default goodbye message on phone calls to "Later" or "Ok peace", but then I got my poo poo together and settled on "Have a good one :)" or "Yep! Take it easy. :)" and its all been gravy

Inflection is key, which is why I used the smilies. If you dont come off as generally friendly, you've gotta work on your mannerisms and poo poo and thats a WHOLE other can of worms!

smell ya later!

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

oh here's the beta thread

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stoic Commie posted:

oh here's the beta thread

I start gawking and choking up most of the time, but im trying to get it a bit more under control

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
saying things people don't like will get you far in life, how often does your boss say something you like

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I live in the south where people are generally friendlier and I'm really friendly & smiley even by southern standards and sometimes I can tell it weirds people out. Like smiling & making eye contact with someone is a level of human interaction they are not prepared for.

e: I also will say "thank you" in response to someone else saying "thank you" even though there's nothing for me to thank them for & I am aware that it makes me look like a goober but I can't seem to stop.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I live in the south where people are generally friendlier and I'm really friendly & smiley even by southern standards and sometimes I can tell it weirds people out. Like smiling & making eye contact with someone is a level of human interaction they are not prepared for.

I had an ex who was genuinely SHOCKED that when she'd wave to people upon using a 1-way bridge, they'd reply with a wave and smile. Those old bridges are common around here, due to being historic bridges and thus not really eligible for widening to two lanes. One party waits and waves the other over or vice versa, and the other comes on by and offers a smile and brief wave generally. Just a little thing people do out of courtesy.

I cant imagine something that basic being totally alien to someone to the extent where they'd not only note it, but be surprised by it outright.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
"How's it going?"
"Another day in paradise."

"Need anything else?"
"The key to happiness."

"See you later!"
"Death is certain."

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The standard responses to thank you almost all share the same prosody, alternating between non-stressed and stressed syllables, opening on a non-stressed. This arguably creates the perlocutionary force that reciprocates the expression of thankfulness which IIRC typically opens on a stressed syllable.

So w/e.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Please explain why "you're welcome" is bad, in non-autistic terms.

Thanks in advance.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

lonesomedwarf posted:

or if im having a bad day i'll say "some worries, brah" and tweak my tiny nipples ha ha it's a reference to a popular situational comedy

witch one

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks in advance.

It makes you look like a dick when you did nothing for the person who is only thanking you because their job demands it. I guess saying it to like, the owner of a small business would be a little better.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Republican Vampire posted:

The standard responses to thank you almost all share the same prosody, alternating between non-stressed and stressed syllables, opening on a non-stressed. This arguably creates the perlocutionary force that reciprocates the expression of thankfulness which IIRC typically opens on a stressed syllable.

So w/e.
augh gently caress you now that you point this out it sounds so stupid but I can't stop doing it that way

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks in advance.

have you ever worked a service job? imagine you're busting your hump to serve someone who is doing nothing except paying the bill, you say "thank you" and they say "you're welcome." "so honored to have been able to serve you, sir."

honestly "you're welcome" is the autistic option here, because it's something you say when you can't understand context or nuance and you just do what you're told when you were 4

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
You're very welcome *finger guns*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
when people respond to "hi how are you?" With anything other than " not bad, you?" it's like, what the gently caress are you doing?! That's not how this works!

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Sometimes Ill expect someone to say "Have a nice day" but they say something else but my brain already autopiloted to "You too" and it's mildly akward

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Moola posted:

when people respond to "hi how are you?" With anything other than " not bad, you?" it's like, what the gently caress are you doing?! That's not how this works!
i always say great or good and don't ask how the other person is doing

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

LifeSizePotato posted:

have you ever worked a service job? imagine you're busting your hump to serve someone who is doing nothing except paying the bill, you say "thank you" and they say "you're welcome." "so honored to have been able to serve you, sir."

honestly "you're welcome" is the autistic option here, because it's something you say when you can't understand context or nuance and you just do what you're told when you were 4

I think the poster was imagining it as a response to a real "thank you." Not some mandatory business thank you.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

i always say great or good and don't ask how the other person is doing

no this is bad

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

LifeSizePotato posted:

tbh i hate "you're welcome" almost as much. i used to work at a restaurant and obviously we'd say "thank you" to our customers. usually, they'd be normal and say "thank you" back, but sometimes it was "you're welcome" and it usually spiked my blood pressure a little. as if we should be so grateful that you graced us with your presence that we might be allowed serve you, your majesty.

in conclusion, "you're welcome" is generally the worst response to "thank you."

can i just get my check man

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Moola posted:

no this is bad
yes but i'm an rear end in a top hat :mrgw:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

LifeSizePotato posted:

tbh i hate "you're welcome" almost as much. i used to work at a restaurant and obviously we'd say "thank you" to our customers. usually, they'd be normal and say "thank you" back, but sometimes it was "you're welcome" and it usually spiked my blood pressure a little. as if we should be so grateful that you graced us with your presence that we might be allowed serve you, your majesty.

in conclusion, "you're welcome" is generally the worst response to "thank you."

I usually just say 'you too' but then I realize they said thanks and enjoy your meal but they're not actually eating a meal oops

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
almost all of my workplace conversations are me not hearing a word of what they said and squawking some affirming sound back while i do something else

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

I usually just say 'you too' but then I realize they said thanks and enjoy your meal but they're not actually eating a meal oops
you bastard next time you do this you must offer them the first bite so they may partake in your meal

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Youruh huhcum

Whenever someone tells me "Thank you!" I spend five minutes ranting about how much of a horrible human being I am and why I never deserve any praise or thanks for managing not to gently caress up one miserable thing in my life. Then they say "You're welcome!" and I start beating them with the nearest blunt object.

When people say "Uh huh" I sneeze violently precisely three times. Luckily I don't have text-to-speech on or I'd be sneezing to this thread.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Trixie Hardcore posted:

this is the worst.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
They think they're being really clever too. There are some bad people out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

community, which i believe is a favourite of the users of the somethingawful forums

Trixie Hardcore posted:

that happend to me once and i said "yeah you know how it is" and they didnt know how to respond because they didnt know how it was

• Locked thread