Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

AP posted:

Sometimes less cargo is good idea.

The lack of regard for OSHA regulations is worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't help myself. Now I have the Phoenix.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Innerguard posted:

might make a good exploration vehicle

hey, the reg'lar old Constellation is no longer mentioned on the ship specs page...does this mean we have to choose one or we wind up with an empty shell?

nevermind...andromeda must be the base model

woo hoo, just melted some crap and got me that one with the fabulous bay window! I just hope that I can put my hands on my hips when I stand there.

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 16, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Warcabbit posted:

You lose half your cargo space in the Phoenix. It's nice. It's very pretty, but it's not worth it. The only actual difference is a bigger power plant - the rest is just equipment you can add later.

The actual sale page shows it with bigger primary thrusters at TR7, a bigger powerplant and a class 9 hardpoint for a point defense system. Those are all things that cannot be added later.

Red Herring posted:

Reports from the Brown Sea indicate that the brochure has been confirmed to have the right stats.

If the actual page on which they sell you poo poo is wrong and the PDF is right then that's pretty hosed up considering that sale page with the wrong stats has sold 700k worth of space ships so far with nothing at all indicating this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The PDFs are inconsistent just between the individual stat listing and the table at the end comparing stats. Never mind the web page.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Red Herring posted:

Reports from the Brown Sea indicate that the brochure has been confirmed to have the right stats.

Take that with a grain of salt: apparently it was confirmed by :lesnick:, who is often wrong.

I stand corrected.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 16, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Assuming anything about stats that can be changed by editing a simple XML entry is a good way to end up disappointed. Unless it's physically part of the model I would consider them guidelines at best.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Innerguard posted:

Jesus H Christ. You people are literally the worst.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

RubberJohnny posted:

The Multi-Crew stuff is kind of impressive, but that bottom turret on the Constellation has so little visibility - all your peripheral vision is taken up by the huge complex mechanism that slides you down there, and you can't actually pivot to cover the bottom hemisphere, it looks like you're locked onto the "plane" of the ship.

I wish they'd actually planned out the design of these ships in advance for what they want to do with them, because there isn't one that doesn't have nonsensical bullshit like giant bars right in front of the pilots view, cargo ramps that are too steep to feasibly climb, weird VTOL stuff that doesn't actually work as VTOL because the engines would smash into the ground before the ship lands and so on.

That's the problem - everything is designed to "look cool" but a lot of Star Citizen's stuff (thruster placement, turrets) is laughable from a "is this actually functional" perspective.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I figured that Star Citizen videos have made me plenty of cash in the past so I upgraded to the Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZqKNlRK7yg

Shame that none of the animations are hooked up.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

illectro posted:

I figured that Star Citizen videos have made me plenty of cash in the past so I upgraded to the Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZqKNlRK7yg

Shame that none of the animations are hooked up.

Your commentary that the Constellation is a microcosm of SC itself ("hey, let's add this!") was spot-on. I hadn't thought of it like that before. The Constellation always felt like the poster-child of SC but I can point to why now.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

illectro posted:

They probably removed the bottom turret so they can put another loading ramp and make room for storing the space Bentley. If the planets are going to have large enough areas to drive around on they'll be selling beach front property, racing cars and yachts.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The removal of the lower turret is where I think that secret compartment is. You clipped through it for a second while looking around. Low to ground for loading in a forward secret cargo hold.

For for space drugs on your space yatch.

If gravity of ships can be disabled in fights, what will happen to passengers in the hot tub? Low G Orgy?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Also, Interestingly enough, when I upgraded my Rear admiral to include the phoenix is also included the Grand Piano in the package, which hasn't happened previously when I used the 350r Upgrade and the Super Hornet upgrade.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Innerguard posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people get help Jesus Christ

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

drunkill posted:

If gravity of ships can be disabled in fights at will, what will happen to passengers in the hot tub? Low G Orgy?

Captain's discretion... :dance:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people get help Jesus Christ

It's like they don't want to give me money.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

illectro posted:

Also, Interestingly enough, when I upgraded my Rear admiral to include the phoenix is also included the Grand Piano in the package, which hasn't happened previously when I used the 350r Upgrade and the Super Hornet upgrade.

I assume it's this?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

They probably removed the bottom turret so they can put another loading ramp and make room for storing the space Bentley. If the planets are going to have large enough areas to drive around on they'll be selling beach front property, racing cars and yachts.

They didn't remove the lower turret for the Phoenix, it's just bugged in the current version in the hangar and doesn't deploy.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

AP posted:

Did we learn nothing?

Did those make them 1 million+ ?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

illectro posted:

oh my god if I got that I'd push it out the airlock right over a populated area of a planet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

Did those make them 1 million+ ?

Probably a lot more, they were on sale for months and PGI sell stuff before it's actually in the game.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

AP posted:

Probably a lot more, they were on sale for months and PGI sell stuff before it's actually in the game.

Never thought I'd say this but Star Citizen makes MWO packs look like a good deal. $250 for a ship versus $80 for sixteen mechs.

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 17, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

The Multi-Crew stuff is kind of impressive, but that bottom turret on the Constellation has so little visibility - all your peripheral vision is taken up by the huge complex mechanism that slides you down there, and you can't actually pivot to cover the bottom hemisphere, it looks like you're locked onto the "plane" of the ship.

I wish they'd actually planned out the design of these ships in advance for what they want to do with them, because there isn't one that doesn't have nonsensical bullshit like giant bars right in front of the pilots view, cargo ramps that are too steep to feasibly climb, weird VTOL stuff that doesn't actually work as VTOL because the engines would smash into the ground before the ship lands and so on.

I would think a good solution for the Top/Bottom turret system is what they did in X-Wing Alliance with the YT-1300/YT-2000, you sat facing up/down and had a full 180 view all ahead of you. The Top Turret on the Constellation is doable, but the bottom should have the pilots chair rotate upside down so the view is upright instead of trying to look through your own feet. It is supposed to be Space after all right?

Also I don't know if it is because of SLI, or just broken hangar's but the game likes to load and let me move around, then after a while things start disappearing. Ship Hulls, my Greycat, walls, etc. Anyone else having that issue, I haven't been back in this thread much since shortly after the AC launched. The AC part actually works just fine though. Real Life sucks more than this alpha at the moment...

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 16, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Not sure how I feel about that new Buggy. Are we getting some sort of Mass Effect Planetside exploration here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdpzeQ31CI
That is, mostly barren and forgettable randomly generated landscapes.

On one hand, this might be a nice, inexpensive way to appease the planetside crowd. On the other hand, the inevitable stark contrast between these worlds and the handcrafted ones is the reason why I'd rather not have Planetside Gameplay to begin with.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

Never thought I'd say this but Star Citizen makes MWO packs look like a good deal. $250 for a shop versus $80 for sixteen mechs.

This actually could be the title of this whole thread/boondoggle.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ah but can you walk around the inside of your 16 battlemechs while jerking off over your Mal Reynolds RP fantasies?

I THINK NOT :colbert:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Ah but can you walk around the inside of your 16 battlemechs while jerking off over your Mal Reynolds RP fantasies?

I THINK NOT :colbert:

I have too many freighter ships. One of them has to be Firefly-like.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Over $1m the last two days.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
The interior of the Phoenix looks tacky as gently caress.

combatwordsmith
Sep 6, 2013
Sometimes I worry they'll run out of money, but then another ship or variant goes on sale and my nerves calm as the spergs buy ships before even checking their paypal balance. Thankfully, I've hit my Kickstarter limit already, can't spend any more until something is complete. I say thankfully because all of the Constellation variants are beautiful.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
That 4 player co-op ship demo would have been more convincing if one of them ran into the shitter and closed the door when combat started.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

redwalrus posted:

That 4 player co-op ship demo would have been more convincing if one of them ran into the shitter and closed the door when combat started.

"Time to launch the snub fighter!" :airquote:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So uh, what actual gameplay does this have? From what I've seen, it's a decent walking around a hangar simulator, but, can you actually fly your $350 spaceship or is it really more of a spaceship-shaped digital sculpture?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Keiya posted:

So uh, what actual gameplay does this have? From what I've seen, it's a decent walking around a hangar simulator, but, can you actually fly your $350 spaceship or is it really more of a spaceship-shaped digital sculpture?

I dunno what game play you expect a game that's not finished to have, but I think the arena commander is pretty descent for an early alpha.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Keiya posted:

Currently there's a single-player dog fighting "swarm mode", and a multiplayer dog fighting component with deathmatch, team deathmatch, and CTF. Right now the only three ships you can fly are the Aurora, the 300i, and the Hornet. Most of the ships are still only usable/view-able in the hangar. In spite of that, the stuff you can play right now is moderately fun, even though it needs a lot of polish before it's a real game.

The next patch is supposed to include a racing module and a way to play the swarm mode cooperatively, along with a few more ships to fly. ETA has been quoted as "two weeks", which means it will sometime between 2 weeks and a few months from now. Speaking of a few months... at PAX East they're supposed to show off the FPS module, but no one knows when that will be actually playable.

tl;dr: Star Citizen isn't a real game, is a huge scam, will never be playable, lolol, etc, etc.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 17, 2014

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Have they fixed the awful wobbling/jerking yet? I cant imagine how awful it will be to try flying in a race with the current controls.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Lexusbeat posted:

Have they fixed the awful wobbling/jerking yet? I cant imagine how awful it will be to try flying in a race with the current controls.
In a way they made it worse, because the ships don't handle well at their new top speeds. Which makes sense though, so there finally is a reason to use something else than full throttle.

At some point in the presentation CR actually made a joke that people are bound to complain about this.
I just think it'll take some time getting used to. If you look at the racing video, the one guy who had figured it out (Travis Day?) flew the course pretty smoothly.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I kinda hope the flight characteristics are not finished but rather for now they are using their own version of generic flight module that Warthunder uses for their planes that lack one. As fighting would suck and just push people away from it in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitalidze
Jul 18, 2013

A sky that has become this lovely will not always remain sunny.
Can't decide if I should upgrade my Andromeda.
Will Aquila have Merlin fighter or not?

• Locked thread