Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

FogHelmut posted:

I had an Intellivision :colbert:

gently caress yeah! Ever play Utopia? BOOP BLEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

sorry i was a sega kid

Sega was still "Nintendo" to every parent.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dr Strangepants posted:

gently caress yeah! Ever play Utopia? BOOP BLEEP

BRRRRRMP

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Hed posted:

I remember seeing screenshots in Nintendo Power and it had a shitton of extra things, like statues at the end of the hallways and stuff. When we didn't see these in the finished game we assumed they were also puzzles or something to find. I think they were just taken out before release but who knows.

There is a ROM floating around of the prototype. It has a bunch of differences and isn't censored, I don't know if the statues are in it though.

jamcadbury
Nov 12, 2004
South Side Mexican

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

sorry i was a sega kid

gotta go fast

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
vaguely

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

I remember seeing screenshots in Nintendo Power and it had a shitton of extra things, like statues at the end of the hallways and stuff. When we didn't see these in the finished game we assumed they were also puzzles or something to find. I think they were just taken out before release but who knows.

http://tcrf.net/Proto:Maniac_Mansion_%28NES,_USA%29

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Chris Awful posted:

Where were you when you blew Super Mario Bros. 3?

Uh, in my room. After all, I wanted the cartridge to work before I started playing... :colbert:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Maniac mansion best old Nintendo game

Back when LucasArts was a top brand. Sigh. Those were the days.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

dontcareaboutname posted:

why would you play nintendo when you could play old sierra and origin games?

also old nintendo games sucked only tolerable games were megaman.

i don't know what origin is, but playing sierra and lucas arts games as a kid was a slightly better way to waste your time than playing nintendo games.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
My childhood friends used to make fun of me because one of my favorite SNES games was Illusion of Gaia. Nobody else liked that game and I don't know why. It is so awesome.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I never had a Nintendo while I grew up. My father said sitting in front of the TV that long with meaningless games made you stupid.

After enough crying and whining they eventually caved and let me have a Game Boy though. It sucked compared to the full colour TV consoles, I had to play NES and SNES at friends houses and was stuck being player 2 all my life.
Little did they know I would have my petty revenge once I started earning my own money though. I bought pretty much every new console out of spite and still do.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ProfessorMurder posted:

My childhood friends used to make fun of me because one of my favorite SNES games was Illusion of Gaia. Nobody else liked that game and I don't know why. It is so awesome.

I don't remember why I got that game. I don't remember if it was a gift, if I thought it looked cool at the store, nothing. I have no idea at all why I came into possession of that game.

loving terrible.

I was very young, and video games were so rare to my poor rear end self, that each of them had to be good. There wasn't an option.

That game is the game that taught me that games could suck dick. Just a boring, poo poo filled game. When I later learned what the word 'malaise' meant, the soundtrack to Illusion of Gaia started playing in my head.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

everyone i knew back then had a Sega Genesis

there was one SNES kid but he was the weird kid who smelled bad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

P.S.

Super.

loving.

Dodgeball.

Forever.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

I don't remember why I got that game. I don't remember if it was a gift, if I thought it looked cool at the store, nothing. I have no idea at all why I came into possession of that game.

loving terrible.

I was very young, and video games were so rare to my poor rear end self, that each of them had to be good. There wasn't an option.

That game is the game that taught me that games could suck dick. Just a boring, poo poo filled game. When I later learned what the word 'malaise' meant, the soundtrack to Illusion of Gaia started playing in my head.

The Illusion of Gaia hate continues :sigh:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely love Illusion of Gaia and most people do too. The game was good enough that Nintendo bought the rights to it so they could release it in the US. I think that's like the only time that ever happened besides Xenogear Chronicles or whatever.

Illusion of Gaia is probably in my top 5 of all time.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I absolutely love Illusion of Gaia and most people do too. The game was good enough that Nintendo bought the rights to it so they could release it in the US. I think that's like the only time that ever happened besides Xenogear Chronicles or whatever.

Illusion of Gaia is probably in my top 5 of all time.

Hell yeah :hfive:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

everyone i knew back then had a Sega Genesis

there was one SNES kid but he was the weird kid who smelled bad

now he probably gets laid on the reg, and you are still trying to get your autism medication regulated, get owned human being

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

no they weren't very memorable

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Agreed. Kirbys Adventures was pretty good too. gently caress Abadox, tho. That poo poo was harder than calculus.

New Kirby game is freaking amazing, it's the reason my kid now has a 2DS.

Nostalgia gaming is for young 'uns who have a choice and their own TV - Only rich kids had their own TV in the 1980s.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
illusion of gaia is good. hope that weakens the IOG fan's persecution complex somewhat

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XNUTJpA7c

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Kelfeftaf posted:

illusion of gaia is good. hope that weakens the IOG fan's persecution complex somewhat

sure does thanks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The TMNT NES game taught me very early on in life that I would suck at all 2D platformers :smith:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I even liked the part in illusion of gaia where you sit on a raft and do nothing

Sky garden area owned

The music owned

Please share your illusion of Gaia memories in this thread

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

The TMNT NES game taught me very early on in life that I would suck at all 2D platformers :smith:

water level was my bane, but then I would get past that sometimes and have no idea what to do

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I even liked the part in illusion of gaia where you sit on a raft and do nothing

Sky garden area owned

The music owned

Please share your illusion of Gaia memories in this thread

When you get to become Phoenix and melt through the floors of the pyramid was pretty cool.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

The best thing Nintendo ever did was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Dwight Evans posted:

The SNES is the greatest console of all time, OP.

Though the Nes was pretty solid too. gently caress the N64, can't believe I fell for that poo poo.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
the best thing they did was put out the n64. massive contribution to my loss of interest in video games

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Kelfeftaf posted:

the best thing they did was put out the n64. massive contribution to my loss of interest in video games

I agree that the n64 wasn't very good, but to lose interest in all video games seems pretty narrow-minded.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Well that explains it. At least I could still microwave Ed's hamster in the version we had.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

ProfessorMurder posted:

I agree that the n64 wasn't very good, but to lose interest in all video games seems pretty narrow-minded.

Okay. I'll try to broaden my mind by playing a Mega Man game.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Kelfeftaf posted:

Okay. I'll try to broaden my mind by playing a Mega Man game.

Screw Mega Man, try Donkey Kong instead

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
yeah, i'll check out a donkey kong game

I remember Donkey Kong 64 getting a lot of good reviews when it came out and then being incredibly disappointed once I played it. That game was garbage.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I had one of those lovely top loading nes consoles. If there was a slight bump the cartridge would wobble, lose contact and the game would freeze. gently caress that thing.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

contra was good

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
i liked/hated when back in elementary school other kids would tell you ridiculous video game tall tales. some kid once tried to convince me his uncle was a sega exec and had a cartridge that could play every game available on genesis (including games that didn't exist, like Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and 5). there were also purportedly hundreds of secret characters in mortal kombat and street fighter ii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Kelfeftaf posted:

yeah, i'll check out a donkey kong game

I remember Donkey Kong 64 getting a lot of good reviews when it came out and then being incredibly disappointed once I played it. That game was garbage.

The SNES Donkey Kong Country games were pretty fun

• Locked thread