Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've never gotten into miracles. Sorcery is a ton of fun, but I don't see the synergies you can apparently get through miracles (other than tranquil walk of peace, and I despise that miracle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

double nine posted:

I've never gotten into miracles. Sorcery is a ton of fun, but I don't see the synergies you can apparently get through miracles (other than tranquil walk of peace, and I despise that miracle)

Throwing lightning is the best reward for helping out other players.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Homeward is really convenient, divine weapons are nice in the Catacombs, the Lightning Spear line is pretty good. There's also all of the healing stuff and Vow of Silence. Gravelord (Great)Sword Dance is pretty cool as well.

You can make people fall to their deaths in Blighttown really easily with Force. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I go to fight Havel and a random hollow just wanders in and tagteams me. Not that it matters because Astora's straight sword did 60 whole damage on a backstab. gently caress Havel. :darksouls:

Also, wow, 360 version is dead isn't it? No darkwraiths, no summons.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It's definitely much more dead than the PC version, since the PC version came out a year later.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 360 version was always kinda dead. The most active version is still the PS3 version. For one, you don't need a subscription service to play online, and for two Demon's Souls was PS3 exclusive so all of the vets got the PS3 version of DaS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that's a little sad. I figured it'd be a ghost town, but I didn't think it'd be quite so empty. Good thing I planned on going through with someone and didn't want to do PVP I guess. Though I could always just buy the pc version and put up with GFWL if I wanted.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Okay so how does one figure out (within the confines of the game) which special weapons the unique souls create? For example, how does anybody ever figure out that the "Core of an Iron Golem" can be taken to the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo and combined with one of a handful of specific weapons at specific levels to create a specific weapon? I expect that the answer is "you don't, you have to look it up on the wiki" or, alternatively, just be really lucky and talk to the right person while having the right leveled weapons in your inventory. I'd been carrying around a few unique souls until I finally caved and looked up their purpose, and decided I'd rather have the souls than the weapons they can create.

I don't like using the wiki to spoil things like that for myself, but it seems like I'd never get to a point where I'd naturally discover what most of them do.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I believe you can see the weapon a soul creates just by having the soul in your inventory. And it tells you what the base weapon you need is. So actually there's pretty much no guesswork at all involved in that. For once.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I believe you can see the weapon a soul creates just by having the soul in your inventory. And it tells you what the base weapon you need is. So actually there's pretty much no guesswork at all involved in that. For once.

Wait, shut the gently caress up...really? I'm going to have to go check this out, because I've never noticed that before.

Also, to update on the whole "95% shield but no apparent damage" thing, yeah, you guys were right: I was taking damage, but it was just teeny, tiny slivers of 1-2 points that were virtually imperceptible on the HUD.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, shut the gently caress up...really? I'm going to have to go check this out, because I've never noticed that before.

Also, to update on the whole "95% shield but no apparent damage" thing, yeah, you guys were right: I was taking damage, but it was just teeny, tiny slivers of 1-2 points that were virtually imperceptible on the HUD.

No, he's wrong, you need to have a weapon of the appropriate type at +10 to see the option come up at the blacksmith.

Catalysts can't be upgraded, so it's way easier to see the boss catalyst options.

However many boss weapons can upgrade from multiple types. The (cursed) Greatsword of Artorias, for example, can be obtained with a +10 dagger, straight sword, or greatsword.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 16, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tarezax posted:

No, he's wrong, you need to have a weapon of the appropriate type at +10 to see the option come up at the blacksmith.

Catalysts can't be upgraded, so it's way easier to see the boss catalyst options.

However many boss weapons can upgrade from multiple types. The (cursed) Greatsword of Artorias, for example, can be obtained with a +10 dagger, straight sword, or greatsword.

Yeah good to know. I loaded the game and played for an hour before I remembered why I had originally loaded the game, though. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Talking to the blacksmith in Anor Londo does provide you a list of what you can create with your weapons, but the problem is that it actually spoils what boss souls are required and tells you about a bunch of bosses you didn't even know about.

Boss weapons were intended to be a secret of sorts, so it's difficult to even test properly without upgrading every weapon to +10. Which of course plenty of people have done, since getting large shards at a certain point is really trivial.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm glad DS2 did away with that mechanic because honestly it's kind of silly expecting people to either check an online source or randomly/deliberately find the recipes by mass upgrading weapons. It serves no purpose to obfuscate them. If they required weapons to be at the max upgrade level (or displayed the boss weapon at any level) then it might've been fine but as it stands you can easily have your weapons upgraded in such a way that you won't even notice he can craft something with them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The entire game is built around obfuscation of things and there are far more ludicrous things you need to go through, if your goal is to collect all the things.

It's not like you can even make all the things, because the same certain souls are required to make different weapons. And the boss weapons aren't necessarily all that great anyway.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah good to know. I loaded the game and played for an hour before I remembered why I had originally loaded the game, though. :v:
Time flows differently in Lordran. :v:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mordaedil posted:

The entire game is built around obfuscation of things and there are far more ludicrous things you need to go through, if your goal is to collect all the things.

It's not like you can even make all the things, because the same certain souls are required to make different weapons. And the boss weapons aren't necessarily all that great anyway.

Sure, but the bosses and their souls are integral to the game and every player is bound to come across them. The quality of the weapons is irrelevant. What exactly was lost when the system changed? Trawling the wiki for recipes.

I see it as a quality of life change of which there are many in Dark Souls II.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

At least it's not like Demon's Souls. They have been making it easier with every game at least, though they all have their dumb aspects. Maybe in Bloodborne you won't even have to upgrade anymore, that'd be a nice change of pace.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

Sure, but the bosses and their souls are integral to the game and every player is bound to come across them. The quality of the weapons is irrelevant. What exactly was lost when the system changed? Trawling the wiki for recipes.

I see it as a quality of life change of which there are many in Dark Souls II.

I kinda agree it should have been handled the other way so it'd be bother easier to know what you'd need and not accidentally spoil yourself on what souls are in the game, but you'd know what you could do with the souls you have, and it rather giving you a tip on what weapon you'd need to upgrade to +10 to get that weapon.

And yeah, Dark Souls II has a lot of quality of life changes, but I don't really know if the crafting was that much better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Crafting is definitely better if nothing else than you have immediate access to smiths and boss weapon sellers. Walking all the way to the Anor Londo blacksmith is so annoying, even more so than Straith's bonfire because the latter is simple enough once you figure out how to easily take out the kamikaze guys.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Making boss weapons is incredibly easy in DkS2 compared to DkS1, you just trade the boss soul and some regular souls at the vender and viola. It's upgrading them that's hard since you have a limited amount of petrified dragon bones. It's better now post DLC since there's a respawning enemy in that with a high chance to drop them at least, but you still have to actually get to that point and kill those enemies to get them. Scarcity of upgrading materials is the problem that DkS2 has in general, but at least it isn't an rear end in a top hat about it like Demon's Souls and doesn't hide the slabs like DkS1.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Can we not talk about Dark Souls 2 in this thread beyond a few superficial things? I haven't beaten DS1 and want to go into DS2 fully blind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've completely forgotten; what determines how much damage the Hellkite's flame breath does? A quarter of the time it's an instant kill, the rest it's half damage. I do nothing different on any occasion.

Also, jesus gently caress since when did Havel have a 360 degree spin attack god drat it.

e: Alright I give up on Havel he's killing me by hitting the wall next to me after I've rolled behind him.

e: Between Havel's assfucking, the Hellkite just randomly killing me, and now the boar not giving me the boar helm after killing it first try this replay of Dark Souls is not off to a fun start.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 16, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I've completely forgotten; what determines how much damage the Hellkite's flame breath does? A quarter of the time it's an instant kill, the rest it's half damage. I do nothing different on any occasion.

Also, jesus gently caress since when did Havel have a 360 degree spin attack god drat it.

e: Alright I give up on Havel he's killing me by hitting the wall next to me after I've rolled behind him.

e: Between Havel's assfucking, the Hellkite just randomly killing me, and now the boar not giving me the boar helm after killing it first try this replay of Dark Souls is not off to a fun start.

just parry havel it's easy.

just kidding havel is a bitch to fight, I usually end up dodging and backstabbing the prick. Hellkite I leave alone until I've got a +15 weapon and curbstomp that annoying piece of typhoid pusstained mothball.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

just parry havel it's easy.

just kidding havel is a bitch to fight, I usually end up dodging and backstabbing the prick. Hellkite I leave alone until I've got a +15 weapon and curbstomp that annoying piece of typhoid pusstained mothball.

Yeah, that's what I tried, but since he one-shots me, I inevitably hosed up around the tenth stab and died. The hellkite's just a pain because I kept running past the bridge to get to him because it's faster. It's gone a lot more smoothly now that I've left that area. I even saw a pair of phantoms to help with the Parish! Too bad I can't be summoned though; I need to beat the gargoyles twice so I can get the lightning spear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Havel is just constant right-turn sidestep, most of his attacks miss completely if you do this so just backstab. Get a dagger or something that gets bonus damage off backstabs to speed the process.

On my 2nd DS run, I accidentally killed the Hellkite by doing the arrow thing under the bridge to take off his tail, I heard the usual scream, then I heard a scream and 10,000 souls entered my bank :psyduck:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Havel's crazy easy, but if you're having trouble you can always make him follow you up the stairs until he gets too far away from his spawn area and starts walking back. Free hits. Really tedious though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Havel's crazy easy, but if you're having trouble you can always make him follow you up the stairs until he gets too far away from his spawn area and starts walking back. Free hits. Really tedious though.

I actually tried that and it went well until he figured out how dumb that was and he just charged through. :shepface:

The problem with hugging his right forever is that he kept doing a spin attack that tracked me anywhere and annihilated me. I'll just go kill him in Darkroot. It's not worth the frustration.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, I didn't have any issues killing Havel on my first ever attempt, either. I was SL ~60 or 65, focusing mostly on Strength and Endurance, with Black Iron Armor +2, a basic Black Iron Helm, Elite Knight Greaves +2 or 3, and basic Silver Knight Gauntlets. I was using a Large Club +5. He was relatively easy to walk around, with attacks that were completely telegraphed. I just watched him charge up an attack, stepped out of the way, beat on him with the club a couple of times, and repeated for a few rounds. No fancy rolling, parrying, or exploits. We stayed in the small room he starts off in.

Then again, I'm not sure if I was overleveled for the fight or what (since it was my first time, I have no point of reference). And I've had trouble with other fights that were probably pretty easy for most players, like the Greatsword-wielding Heavy Knight toward the end of the Painted World, and those Royal Brass Giants right before S&O.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, I didn't have any issues killing Havel on my first ever attempt, either. I was SL ~60 or 65, focusing mostly on Strength and Endurance, with Black Iron Armor +2, a basic Black Iron Helm, Elite Knight Greaves +2 or 3, and basic Silver Knight Gauntlets. I was using a Large Club +5. He was relatively easy to walk around, with attacks that were completely telegraphed. I just watched him charge up an attack, stepped out of the way, beat on him with the club a couple of times, and repeated for a few rounds. No fancy rolling, parrying, or exploits.

Then again, I'm not sure if I was overleveled for the fight or what (since it was my first time, I have no point of reference). And I've had trouble with other fights that were probably pretty easy for most players, like the Greatsword-wielding Heavy Knight toward the end of the Painted World, and those Royal Brass Giants right before S&O.

Yeah I was SL 10. :v:

I'm now convinced those two phantoms and myself are the only ones left in the Undead Burg/Parish area too. It's kind of sad how empty it is. It reminds me of the broken multiplayer from launch.

e: The rear end is pretty nice. Should I bother upgrading any other weapons for a while or stick with this until later on? Dex/Fth build.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 16, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I was SL 10. :v:

I'm now convinced those two phantoms and myself are the only ones left in the Undead Burg/Parish area too. It's kind of sad how empty it is. It reminds me of the broken multiplayer from launch.

e: The rear end is pretty nice. Should I bother upgrading any other weapons for a while or stick with this until later on? Dex/Fth build.

The Astora Straight Sword will do you well for now, but it really doesn't hold up, it's like the Faith version of the Drake sword. You might want to start pumping another weapon because that thing is gonna become useless around Sen's Fortress.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

The Astora Straight Sword will do you well for now, but it really doesn't hold up, it's like the Faith version of the Drake sword. You might want to start pumping another weapon because that thing is gonna become useless around Sen's Fortress.

That's about what I thought, thanks. I'm thinking either ending up with a falchion or some hanzo steel as my main weapon and just lightning infusing it. Or maybe the gold/silver tracers if I feel like it. My first runthrough I used the Gravelord Greatsword and my second I used Quelaag's Furysword, so I want to do something completely different this time around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Drake Sword and Astora's Sword is funny because they become useless at Sen's Fortress, which gives you a weapon that'll basically last you to the rest of the game. And this weapon encourages turtle style.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tae posted:

Drake Sword and Astora's Sword is funny because they become useless at Sen's Fortress, which gives you a weapon that'll basically last you to the rest of the game. And this weapon encourages turtle style.

The Lightning Spear? I've actually never really bothered with spears in Souls games. I forgot Ricard's Rapier drops in there though, that'll be worth going for.

e: Before I forget to ask can I use Sunlight Blade on lightning-infused weapons or only normal weapons? I don't recall.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 16, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The only faith weapons in the game that I can think of are strength based. You can infuse something with divine or occult but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that really benefits from it out of the dex weapons.

If you're willing to grind, the Baldur Side Sword is what a lot of people like for straight dex stuff and it's dropped from the knights in the Parish.

edit: lightning isn't faith based, it has no scaling in DkS1. Same with fire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only faith weapons in the game that I can think of are strength based. You can infuse something with divine or occult but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that really benefits from it out of the dex weapons.

Really it's just a supplement for some more fun.

quote:

edit: lightning isn't faith based, it has no scaling in DkS1. Same with fire.

Ah, I didn't remember that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I beat Havel by backstabbing him and when I backstabbed him he glitched out and was standing still motionless for the rest of the fight, so I just backstabbed him a few more times and he went down.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Manatee Cannon posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Really it's just a supplement for some more fun.
Crescent Axe is D/D Str/Dex or something. DSS is C/B Str/Dex, Darkmoon Bow is E/D.

Otherwise, there's the mentioned rear end, Grant, and the Artorias GSes if you count those GS guys.

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011
Does the positioning of the pauldron on the Knight/Elite Knight armor while two-handing a weapon seem odd to anyone else? I recently started playing the game again and I don't remember it looking so wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Balder Knights being able to parry you backstabbing them is weird as hell. You both hold perfectly still, then the player slides in front of them, performs a normal attack seconds later, then they parry you. And in two hours I got summoned once. I could just go back in a few hours for lightning spear but I was trying to grind these lovely Balder guys anyway. I regret that decision.

e: Now that I'm out of the Parish and I've forgotten what the hell is in Darkroot, I'm back to getting really tense and feeling like I'm about to get jumped, even though there is surely no one still bothering to invade. I got my lightning spears too. I'll never get Great Lightning Spear but they do some heavy damage, and it looks like GLS is only marginally stronger anyway. Also I managed to fall to my doom after killing the Moonlight Butterfly. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread