Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

AJ_Impy posted:

How big a job would tweaking the back end to let Commissioners run as and when be?

I'll look into it for the official tournament. I'd need to implement a step where commissioners can select which fight to run out of all fights in the current round, and make sure the site can handle everything when fights are run "out of sequence" and can correctly trigger the procedures that get run when a round is finished.

I don't think it would be too difficult to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

You are awesome. My offer still stands by the way.

I believe all of us would want this to be on the wish list, not a rush job anything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I'll look into it for the official tournament. I'd need to implement a step where commissioners can select which fight to run out of all fights in the current round, and make sure the site can handle everything when fights are run "out of sequence" and can correctly trigger the procedures that get run when a round is finished.

I like this. It makes it a meta-competition to not delay, because you don't want to be the last one holding everything up.

With that in mind, please implement meta-betting where we can bet on which commissioners will finish first, thanks buddy! :cheers:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Where we can bet on which commissioners will finish first, thanks buddy! :cheers:

My wife will make Bill Gates look like a hobo at the end of the tournament.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 2, Match 1 :siren:

On the left, the Daggum Polecats, featuring Knuckle Dragger the Gremlin of Bad Munki, Harold Bird the Human of ignite memories and Ant Agonist the Soldier Ant Woman of pun pundit.

On the right, the Wild Animals, featuring King the Tigerman of King Cohort, One-Eyed Willie the Serpent Man of Neurion and Sunny the Molemarian of Duckaerobics.

Harold Bird and Sunny pull slightly ahead of the others, and Harry strikes first. His halberd describes one arc, and the moleman's foot a different one.

Meanwhile, Knuckle Dragger has decided to pick on someone his own size: King the tiger. His puny punchs pathetically pummel the poobah's pelt, producing no purpose, though the scarily effective Harry cuts up King while he laughs.

Willie, sensing this has the potential to go very badly for his side, tackles Harold Bird around the ankles, but only barely makes him stumble back before getting a cut himself for his trouble. First, second, and third blood to Harold Bird!

At this point, everyone has paired off: Harold with Willie, Knuckle Dragger with King, and Ant Agonist with Sunny.

To King's amazement, Knuckle Dragger actually bruises him. He picks up the gremlin, the better to express his displeasure at close range, and the tiny pugilist goes for his throat. Ineffectually, but very ferociously.

At this point, it's a race: whoever wins their duel first can help their teammates, and it looks like Harold Bird and King, on opposite sides, have dominance.

To probably no one's amazement, it's King who wins, dropping Knuckle Dragger's mutilated corpse to the ground as the others fight on.

Before he can reach them, a badly-timed dodge on Ant Agonist's part leads to Sunny and Willie double teaming Harold Bird, who deftly avoids both and decapitates One-Eyed Willie! The fight is tied and anyone's game.

With a roar of "Cat got your tongue?" the tigerman announces his entrance to the fight by grabbing Harold's tongue, but he can't find a follow-up beyond the pun. It's up to Sunny to bite Harold's lip. Apparently his mouth is his weak point, as he collapses from pain.

The Wild Animals control the fight at this point, with Sunny chopping at Harold's head, looking for a weak point while the human is incapable of defending himself, and King toying with Ant Agonist, hurling her around the arena and performing a series of exposition wrestling moves on her. When she falters, he punches her head off.

At this point, a bizarre standoff occurs. The valiant Harold Bird is still passed out and unable to fight, but neither tiger muscles nor a mole's axe seem able to hurt him. It's hours later before his battered helmet gives way and a third warrior perishes to King's fists.

King and his cronies defeat Harold Bird and his hangers-on
The Wild Animals have defeated Daggum Polecats 3-1!

Kills: Harold Bird 1, King 3

The Daggum Polecats will be temporarily re-animated to fight Team Tiny Arms next round, and a stapled-together Willie will join his companions in facing Lucky Team 13.

Combat Log

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet, turned my 1200 dorfbux into 1600 dorfbux. :downs:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You guys suck :smith:

That was a great fight, man, thanks for stepping up.

edit:Also,

ZeeToo posted:

grabbing Harold's tongue,
WHAT THE poo poo IS THIS?!?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 17, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm wondering if anything smaller than a strangler is even viable in the tournament.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
gently caress yeah, Betting on the King panned out! For all of 79.7 dorfbucks.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ZeeToo posted:

Harold Bird, who deftly avoids both and decapitates One-Eyed Willie!

When Harold Bird retires from fighting he can fall back on his abilities as a mohel.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Playoffs, here we come!

e:

quote:

King punches Knuckle Dragger in the upper body with his right hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the right false ribs through the heart and tearing apart the heart!
A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack!
Knuckle Dragger is no longer stunned.
Knuckle Dragger gives in to pain.

EXPLODING HEART TECHNIQUE

quote:

King grabs Harold Bird by the fifth toe, right foot with his left lower arm!

CATCH A HUMAN BY THE TOE

I also like how King went around breaking all of Harold Bird's limbs while he was unconscious before punching his head in.

We had it figured from the start that Harold Bird was the only threat, with that steel halberd. He really did a number on us; that early halberd strike to the gut could have easily bled King out. Good show, Polecats.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 17, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ignite Memories posted:

You guys suck :smith:

That was a great fight, man, thanks for stepping up.

edit:Also,

WHAT THE poo poo IS THIS?!?

Hey, in the first fight Harold died right away while Ant Agonist at least blocked the other team for a good while after everyone else was dead. It seems we take turns being survivors, next match it will be Knuckle Dragger (it won't).

It looks to me like wrestling moves are a defensive fighter's bane, and that my idiot antwoman always goes to whip the molemarian if there is one, as if such creatures can feel pain.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just chipping in to say I completely agree with the need for concurrent commissioner contributions. That way, if one guy finishes his fights early and another is off on holiday in Timbuktu for a month, fights can be reassigned and a steady stream of them should go through. It could end up being pretty pacy.

That said, I'm glad I have until after ZeeToo's second fight to consider my posting format, etc.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Great stuff, ZeeToo! I particularly appreciated you taking the time to list the fighters, what race they were, and who managed them. Made it all significantly more meaningful. Thanks :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The one problem I'm encountering in reading these 3-per-team fights is remembering who's on which team.

To fix this in my write-up I plan to allocate each team an emoticon and place it before each fighter's name each time it occurs. Hopefully I won't end up butting up against the image limit though. If I do I'll have to think of an alternative plan.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Maugrim posted:

The one problem I'm encountering in reading these 3-per-team fights is remembering who's on which team.

To fix this in my write-up I plan to allocate each team an emoticon and place it before each fighter's name each time it occurs. Hopefully I won't end up butting up against the image limit though. If I do I'll have to think of an alternative plan.

Bold one team, italicise the other? Asterisks for one team, hash symbol for the other?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Bold one team, italics for the other

This is my plan. And in the combat log that gets uploaded as text the names wi be 1_fightername attacks 2_fightername.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 2, Match 2 :siren:

On the left, Lucky Team 13 featuring Gorbash the Minotaur of Iunnrais, Gary Barlow the Molemarian of goatface and Sniffles the Kobold of fluppet.

On the right, Team Tiny Arms featuring Axel the Dark Hero the Dwarf of Galick, I'll strangle you the Strangler of Khisanth Magus and Antoinette the Soldier Ant Woman of Mlle.

As the fight opens, Sniffles, the fight's resident archer, fires away at I'll strangle you, hitting merely a shield. It's up to Gary Barlow to actually hurt the strangler, stunning him with a headscratch. He proceeds to wail away on the stunned foe while Antoinette ineffectually tries to distract him with a whip.

Taking advantage of their bulk, Gorbash joins Gary in striking the stunned foe. He lines up his horn and hits a perfect bull's-eye into the strangler, poking out his central eye and then breaking his spine with a hammer blow. Team Tiny Arms barely manage a distraction before Gorbash's horn comes into play again, crushing I'll strangle you's head.

Sniffles is still reloading as Gorbash turns his attention to Axel. This is short-lived; he merely hurls away the dwarf to help Gary Barlow double-team Antoinette. Antoinette refuses to let this turn into a rout, though. She calmly blocks both giants' attacks with different shields and hits Gary with a perfect mace hit, shredding one of his lungs.

Gorbash throws Antoinette the opposite direction he did Axel, and the pair turn back to the dwarf. Gorbash's hammer breaks a hand, but Axel never had anything in them to begin with. Then as Gary grabs Axel by the teeth for another bizarre throw, something weird occurs: Gorbash stumbles into his teammate, knocking the molemarian over. They simply don't have the grace of their smaller foes.

Grace or no, Gary merely stands up, and Gorbash punches Axel in the head, knocking him out. He leaves Gary to try ineffectually to finish off the dwarf by biting through copper armor while he settles things with Tiny Arms' last ready fighter. A broken leg later and Antoinette crumples to the floor as well.

Sniffles reminds us he exists by shooting his second arrow. This time he hits. Both of Axel's hands are broken now. It's a token gesture; Antoinette passes out as well, and it's just a matter of a fatal shot inevitably working through armor.

Gorbash splatters Antoinette's head, then Axel's.

Lucky Team 13 has annihilated Team Tiny Arms in an utterly lopsided 3-0 win.

Kills: Gorbash 3

Next round, Team Tiny Arms will face the Daggum Polecats in a face-saving match between two two-time losers, and one of the Wild Animals and Lucky Team 13 will finally tast defeat at the hands of the other.

Combat Log

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

pun pundit posted:

Hey, in the first fight Harold died right away while Ant Agonist at least blocked the other team for a good while after everyone else was dead. It seems we take turns being survivors, next match it will be Knuckle Dragger (it won't).

I'm more referring to the fact that I seem to be the only person who brought a weapon that can kill people.

also, what the gently caress kind of helmet protects your entire head while you're unconscious but allows your tongue to be grabbed? What was I doing with my tongue??!

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 17, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well done on the fights ZeeToo. Little guys simply don't stand a chance it seems. Maybe if any little guys get to playoffs they will actually stop being almost-useless but god drat.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Guys, I said to protect me so that I could kill people. Not let them all gang up on me until I'm dead!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

quote:

Gorbash joins Gary in striking the stunned foe. He lines up his horn and hits a perfect bull's-eye into the strangler, poking out his central eye and then breaking his spine with a hammer blow.

This was the exact origin of Gorbash's name. Testing showed that he was fond of this signature move. Gore, than bash.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

pun pundit posted:

It looks to me like wrestling moves are a defensive fighter's bane, and that my idiot antwoman always goes to whip the molemarian if there is one, as if such creatures can feel pain.

Wrestling moves are indeed tough for a smaller defensive fighter. If you're larger than the wrestler or can put some steel into a leg or vital organ before they can wrestle you, though, your prospects increase dramatically.

Ghostwoods posted:

I particularly appreciated you taking the time to list the fighters, what race they were, and who managed them. Made it all significantly more meaningful. Thanks :)

To you and others with suggestions: I do like to try to make it clear who's on what team, but I thought emotes/formatting/constant team inclusions looked too intrusive here.

Ignite Memories posted:

also, what the gently caress kind of helmet protects your entire head while you're unconscious but allows your tongue to be grabbed? What was I doing with my tongue??!

As far as I understand the DF logic here, the helmet protects your 'head', but not necessarily things attached to the head. So your lips, tongue and probably nose get less/no protection. Brain and skull go inside, not attached to.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Little guys simply don't stand a chance it seems. Maybe if any little guys get to playoffs they will actually stop being almost-useless but god drat.

This may or may not be true, but these fights would not be enough evidence. Bad Munki's gremlin is aggressively useless, because he was hoping Toady had included something (your gauntlets count as a weapon to improve your punches) that he didn't. The soldier ant women I ran did fairly well. What I'm seeing that's killing the little guys right now is that it seems that even with a lesser weapon skill, you can block some shots with parrying. This gives little guys less of a chance to win with improved skill before being chain-charged-knockdown-stunned into oblivion. Better fighting on your back offsets this somewhat, but not entirely.

I'm going to want more testing to swear to it, but it might be better to play with racial points and costs than say that they're categorically useless. Gremlins and dark gnomes may end up being nearly non-viable, though again I'm not committing yet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just wanted him to wear one of those beaky helmets. He's Hal Bird.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

I'm going to want more testing to swear to it, but it might be better to play with racial points and costs than say that they're categorically useless. Gremlins and dark gnomes may end up being nearly non-viable, though again I'm not committing yet.

How many non-gimmick small guys have we seen? Is there a single solid dagger/dodge/(optional buckler) gremlin or pick/dodge dark gnome participating in the tournament? If not, we really don't have enough data to make this judgement.

I'm going to do some testing with the observer skill, since it helps evade charge-attacks. It might help even the odds, at the very least.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
:saddowns: Axel is a very bad punchyman.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why does Gary keep chewing people. I didn't make him a chewer.

edit - Oh, both of his hands got mangled.

goatface fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 17, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

my dad posted:

Is there a single solid dagger/dodge/(optional buckler) gremlin or pick/dodge dark gnome participating in the tournament?

I'm a short-sword/dodge/shield Kobold,so rather small. I was thinking of going with a pick, but thought they were too expensive.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is it too late to enter a contestant?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
The winner of the last 1v1 tournament was a Strangler, so I don't know if I'm ready to say stuntys are useless. Also, no one should be trying to make any meaning or scientific data from the team with Bad Munki's Gremlin losing.

A big unknown right now is how the extra points small guys get will take effect as the tournament goes on. A Kobold can get an Adamantine weapon after a single victory, whereas a Tigerman or Minotaur have to save their points and skip out on upgrading skills. Stuntys might get a lot more powerful late in the tournament when their stronger weapons + skills lets land crippling first strikes a lot more reliably.

edit: Wrestling might need a cost increase, as it allows the bigger contestants to essentially combine their weapon + weapon skill together points wise while also not really being an effective option for smaller fighters.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 17, 2014

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Jon Joe posted:

Is it too late to enter a contestant?

For this tournament, yes. But you can always join the next one!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My strangler is only somewhat gimmicky. I splurged about half of my points on my weapon so that no matter what armor my target had I could do damage, then got very basic armor, and the rest went into weapon skill and dodging. I'm thinking I should have forgone the armor, and maybe gone with a steel weapon, and put all of that into dodging, because the armor isn't helping me any. Both fights now I've gotten incapacitated pretty quickly, without being able to get much use out of my weapon.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy poo poo the bets on this next fight are lopsided. That really surprises me because this is the only fight in our division that I think we have a decent chance to win.

6 unarmored fighters, the team ahead in the betting have much better weapons but drat this is going to be our one victory I hope.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Holy poo poo the bets on this next fight are lopsided. That really surprises me because this is the only fight in our division that I think we have a decent chance to win.

6 unarmored fighters, the team ahead in the betting have much better weapons but drat this is going to be our one victory I hope.

Unarmored? What? I have armor. It's really, really good armor, too. Not that I should have said that, given that nothing got past my shield in round one.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 17, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

Unarmored? What? I have armor. It's really, really good armor, too. Not that I should have said that, given that nothing got past my shield in round one.

Oh god damnit. Well gently caress this game and gently caress all of you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's going to be a problem.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah we are exceptionally boned now. Remember that email when I said 'gently caress the steel long sword you have, iron will do for the first round' ?

Remember that? Good times.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yeah we are exceptionally boned now. Remember that email when I said 'gently caress the steel long sword you have, iron will do for the first round' ?

Remember that? Good times.

Well, it's not full coverage or anything. Basically if it's a body shot or an upper limb shot I won't care. Otherwise I'm plenty hosed.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

Well, it's not full coverage or anything. Basically if it's a body shot or an upper limb shot I won't care. Otherwise I'm plenty hosed.

You hear that, bitey? Go get him!

Edit: I post a lot when there is a sick baby sleeping and won't let me stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

You hear that, bitey? Go get him her!

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread