Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yo, Spermy Smurf. Do you want to swap divisions? I've got a ton going on right now. If you'd rather wait, I will run a fight tomorrow evening (about 22 hours from now), but it would be so much easier for me if I could delay my turn a day or two.

[Edit] wait, poo poo, that would mean you'd be running a fight with your own fighter. Jazzimus? Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I was kind of hoping to avoid having people run fights with their own fighters, but what the hell, it's only the practice tournament anyway. It's fine with me if you guys swap.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I was kind of hoping to avoid having people run fights with their own fighters, but what the hell, it's only the practice tournament anyway. It's fine with me if you guys swap.

I suggest for the actual tournament none of the commissioners have fighters in the tournament. Detailed knowledge of builds can affect the playoffs.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I won't be able to run the fights till tomorrow morning at like 9am EST. I don't mind swapping if everyone is cool with that timeframe.

I don't think the commissioners having fighters is a big deal. I don't care what people have for fighters, I am just going to download the macros and run fights, not snoop and tell my teammates what we should prepare for.

If commissioners shouldn't have fighters, I would rather have a dude in the arena than run fights to make things go quicker.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf has a fighter in this one? I'll run it, I don't mind.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

apostateCourier posted:

I suggest for the actual tournament none of the commissioners have fighters in the tournament. Detailed knowledge of builds can affect the playoffs.

Yeah I am actually going to second this idea, I feel like in the actual arena tournament commissioners with their own fighters is only going to lead to people either attempting to cheat or just accusations that the commissioners are cheating.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I intend to make those accusations no matter what, sooooo

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy gently caress some of you take this too serious.

I vote for a new rule: if you seriously think that the commissioners don't have anything better to do, and are such small people, that they would snoop and use their knowledge to cheat in a make believe loving dwarf fortress thread then I think you should not participate on grounds of being too whiney.

Edit: or go make your own thread.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Alternatively, we could just not give a poo poo if there's corruption in our make-believe fairytale bloodbath game thing.

E: What this guy said.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf cheats.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Spermy Smurf cheats.

The instant I get to run one of your fights you better believe I am having a loving dragon eat your fighter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No lords, no masters.

Someone automate the whole system, tia.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Holy gently caress some of you take this too serious.

I vote for a new rule: if you seriously think that the commissioners don't have anything better to do, and are such small people, that they would snoop and use their knowledge to cheat in a make believe loving dwarf fortress thread then I think you should not participate on grounds of being too whiney.

Edit: or go make your own thread.

All I'm saying is that in running the macros you see the build, and it's really, really hard to not let that affect your later points expenditures at all.

Honestly, running the round robin round with your fighter in it is less of a big deal, because if you move forward none of the info you glean can affect your decisions.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We don't get enough points for me to change my build in any meaningful way. I could buy some steel boots to protect from a steel weapon but I already know basic builds for most teams out there and I know steel won't be enough regardless.

I won't tell my team dick, and to be perfectly honest I am kind of terrible with names. I might know that ONE FIGHTER somewhere has x or y that we should defend against, but no way in gently caress am I going to remember who or even what team.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

The instant I get to run one of your fights you better believe I am having a loving dragon eat your fighter.

You're just proving my point, man. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What this arena really needs is slade dentures.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Am I gathering that we're low on commissioners with time right now? I can run another fight or two if we need.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't want to run my own fight, so go ahead and run one more (if it's mine) if you want. I will do the one after. That would be you taking one of my designated fights and leave the other commissioners setups the same.

I mostly don't want to run it because I have a feeling I will throw my tower out the window after we lose horribly.

If the next fight isn't mine, I will run it in about 12hrs. Not too bad of a wait I hope.

Edit: do we want to burn through this round in 36hrs? I figured Jazz would want the round to last a week or so.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 18, 2014

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I can run some fights in 8 hours or so. I'd do them now, but I should really be asleep.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

If commissioners shouldn't have fighters, I would rather have a dude in the arena than run fights to make things go quicker.

Yeah, I think if we didn't allow commissioners to have fighters in the tournament, we wouldn't get any volunteers that wanted to do all the work without being able to otherwise participate. Then it would be like before, with just me doing just one effortpost fight a month. And nobody wants that.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: do we want to burn through this round in 36hrs? I figured Jazz would want the round to last a week or so.

If you guys are able to finish everything that quickly, it's fine by me.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm actually willing to run without playing/betting if it simplifies things.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Jazzimus Prime posted:

If you guys are able to finish everything that quickly, it's fine by me.

I'd love to see how fast a turnover we could manage if we go for it.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Besides skill levels, what exactly is secret about fighter builds? Every fight we learn what weapons the fighters are using, and some of the pieces of armor they wear. And even if you look at a fighter's skills, what does that even tell you? What is the difference between a proficient axeman or a talented axeman?

The only way this could possibly affect anyone is if the commissioners could see fighter builds before the tournament started. After that, it's pretty easy to figure out how your opponents will advance. It's not like you could completely switch builds in-between fights without seriously gimping them, anyways.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Download fighters. Run 10 sims, bet appropriately.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm a short-sword/dodge/shield Kobold

:catstare:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Okay, I'm gearing up to run Spermy Smurf's fight as it's the next fight. Look for results in an hourish, more or less if I get briefly distracted.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
I, for one, am looking forward to the glorious victory of the pantless heroes over their non-indicatively named rivals. As I'm sure most people are! Look I can hope. Don't try to take that away from me.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 2, Match 3 :siren:

On the left, Nonindicative Name features Jack the Human of Jack the Lad, IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER the Tigerman of Anchors and Likely Shortlived the Human of apostateCourier. They have the most confusing names of the tournament.

On the right, Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants features Paper Machete the Elf of Locomotive breath, Spermy the Molemarian of Spermy Smurf and Love the Strangler of Tunicate.

IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER opens up with a hammerblow to Paper Machete, but merely bruises the elf, who is more focused on blocking Jack's attack. Paper Machete draws first blood with a nasty cut on Jack's arm. Spermy follows up with a spear stab straight through Jack's heart.

While this is happening, Likely Shortlived has her own problems to deal with, as Love bites her hard enough to reach bone. It looks like IAMA's human allies are not holding their own well.

Indeed, the incredibly focused and vicious Love bites Likely Shortlived's shield hand over and over until she drops the shield and passes out.

Spermy, however, cannot find a good follow-up to his heart shot. He tries to knock down Jack, who is still fighting fit despite his ruined heart, but finds himself knocked off all four of his feet instead. It's still enough to throw Jack off-kilter, and he stumbles into IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER and falls down.

IAMA barely notices him. He's still trying to figure out how to hurt the elf Paper Machete. His bronze maul doesn't seem to be doing the job. It's up to Jack, who pulls himself together and slices the bare flesh with the incredibly overkill adamantine sword, to down the elf. Paper Machete responds in kind, and the two hack at each other for a while. Paper Machete can't keep it together, however, and passes out from the pain. IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER finally gets himself together, and his immense maul flattens one of the elf's legs entirely. His next strike removes the elf's head.

While he is doing that, Spermy's spear finds Jack again, breaking his ribcage. This, combined with his ruined heart, is finally too much for him, and he collapses. Another thrust, and his brain is torn asunder.

One has fallen on each side, and Love is worrying Likely Shortlived's head, but can't seem to actually kill the human and is unwilling to leave her alive. It's down to Spermy and IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER to duel. Spermy parries the tiger, or werewolf, then strikes his leg. IAMA falls to the ground. Another leg shot, and he passes out.

Finally, Love's horrific biting causes Likely Shortlived to die of bloodloss and Spermy splits the whatever-he-is's head in two.

Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants wins 3-1 over Nonindicative Name!

Kills: Spermy 2, Love 1, IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER 1

Next time, Nonindicative Name comes back to fight Little Guys Long Spears, and Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants takes on Catholicism.

Combat Log

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Double-posting to say, separately from the update, a thank-you to Jazzimus Prime. I've tried running these fights before, without the site's support, and goddamn if this isn't a huge benefit. For when the rest of you start using it, it is an amazing help.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ZeeToo posted:

Double-posting to say, separately from the update, a thank-you to Jazzimus Prime. I've tried running these fights before, without the site's support, and goddamn if this isn't a huge benefit. For when the rest of you start using it, it is an amazing help.

Glad you find it helpful!

ZeeToo posted:

Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants wins 3-1 over Nonindicative Name!

I don't think very many of us saw that result coming. :stare:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jack just keeps getting stabbed in the heart. Also, there went all my dorfbux!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Glad you find it helpful!

I don't think very many of us saw that result coming. :stare:

I did, turning my 250 dorfbucks into nearly 900. :woop:

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well you see FAFLNP won solely due to the efforts of Paper Machete because

And that's why I deserve all the credit. :v: Also thank you for correcting my terrible spelling Jazz. I will be eternally grateful, so long as the definition of eternity is changed to about 5-10 minutes.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

SynthOrange posted:

I did, turning my 250 dorfbucks into nearly 900. :woop:

I turned my 10 dorfbucks into a nickle short of 36. :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Love shakes Likely Shortlived around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!
An artery in the head has been opened by the attack!

That's pretty much all Love did for the last quarter of the match. Shaking a human around by the head. :allears:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The rest of you might have things like "lethal weapons" and "competent fighters", but do you have FAN ART?

That's right you don't.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's not fanart! That's just art! Of your OC!

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
I am the richest at the moment, with over 3000 Dorfbucks. Looks like I finally beat silverminnow with that last match.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ignite Memories posted:

The rest of you might have things like "lethal weapons" and "competent fighters", but do you have FAN ART?

That's right you don't.

:woop: I don't think this thread has had any original fan art since PublicOpinion whose artwork I miss, please come back stopped following the thread. (King Cohort's Tekken contributions are appreciated but don't really count as original fan art)

Also, you have a very lethal weapon and a quite competent fighter, it's just that your teammates don't really -- well, no, I take that back, actually, it's just Munki, sorry.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

That's pretty much all Love did for the last quarter of the match. Shaking a human around by the head. :allears:

Love doesn't quite understand kissing.

Fortunately, that brings my 77 dwarfbux up to 276. If only I had bet heavily on this match instead of the last one.

• Locked thread