Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
New Half in the bag, featuring Into the storm, and Ninja Turtles.

BUT gently caress THAT CUZ THERE'S MORE TALKING ABOUT :siren:!!!!BOYHOOD!!!!:siren:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-into-the-storm-and-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

edit: haha darn beaten, but this deserves two links to fully appreciate how loving GREAT BOYHOOD IS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I demand more movie reviews with Rich just sitting there with his arms crossed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I never got into RLM. Where do I start?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

LoonShia posted:

I never got into RLM. Where do I start?

Best of the Worst.

For Half in the Bag, try Jack and Jill and Resident Evil.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start with the thing that got them popular, their Star Wars prequel review series. Their Star Trek TNG movie reviews are also a good spot, but after that, you can pretty much just watch any old episode of Half in the Bag.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
gently caress you Jay Escape from LA is awesome and just as good as Escape from NY :colbert:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Escape from LA is only good if you consider it to be a satire of the staleness and unoriginality of sequels.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It does have pretty badass ending though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Do not even ask posted:

Escape from LA is only good if you consider it to be a satire of the staleness and unoriginality of sequels.

I watched them in reverse order, so I felt Escape from NY wasn't nearly as over the top and thus a little less entertaining. Nothing beats Kurt Russell surfing his way out of LA.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Same here except I thought to myself "Why is the first one so much better?"

At least LA had Bruce Campbell in it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

e X posted:

It does have pretty badass ending though.
And the best basketball scene other than that scene in Alien Resurrection

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That basketball scene is horrible imo. I saw it for the first time last year after putting off for so long (and it worked out because it's set in 2013! It was meant to be), and I actually dug it for a while. It was goofier, but Snake owned, and had some good scenes, like the Bangkok Rules scene, or the plastic surgery one. But man, that basketball scene dragged forever, and the movie never recovered. But the surfing scene was hilarious.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Todd's got a new One Hit Wonderland: "Hooked on a Feeling" by Blue Swede

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

He had the wrong opinion because he didn't like it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bro Team (I guess it sort of meets the IC criteria if loving JonTron is covered) is in dire straits, mostly due to Machinima's doing.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Form a union or something already, ya'll internet goofballs.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The last Retsutalk had a bit of a focus on bullet-hell shooters, and then Jontron did a thing on them :tinfoil:

(Also featuring Samurai Zombie Nation - one of the Spoony one's first; and Cho Aniki, which is Cho Aniki and needs no further description.)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Not that big of a shock, they both acknowledge eachother's feedback and Slowbeef has been streaming bullet-hell stuff for weeks.

Altho all of those shooters that Jontron covered aren't exactly Bullet-Hell. I wish he would have poked more at Fantasy Zone other than "Man, Powerups. Totes like Iphone game amirite" because him sort of suspecting that there was something a bit messed up going on the background is sort of right on the sequel.

SZN also had an amusing story of being the Westernized version of a game that was a bit less weird in the original version, it being a Tengu Head instead of a Samurai Head. And if he had played it until the end the whole "Darc Seed needs people around the house" makes a bit more sense than he expected.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He had the wrong opinion because he didn't like it.

Todd also hates Depeche Mode, don't take his opinions too seriously

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How can y'all talk about amazing basketball scenes and not even mention this gem from Catwoman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

Form a union or something already, ya'll internet goofballs.

Just don't deal with Machima. They have a history of loving their clients.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Huh, for some reason I always thought it was Suede too.
When he showed footage of the band, for some reason I thought it was some kind of Star Wars tribute act with Luke singing...and then I realised that's just what the lead singer looks like.
But yes, I can't say I like this song, there's something extremely uncomfortable about oogga-chugga-oogga-chugga. Like..racial stereotype uncomfortable. And it coming from a native american stereotype novelty song makes a lot of sense.

Still, lots of interesting stuff about the song - I had no idea it had such a long history before this particular version.
I'm surprised he didn't mention the fact that the other side of Jonathan king's single was..."I don't want to be gay." Uhhhhhh....

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Yup, my skin still crawls like gently caress at the sight of Jimmy Savile.

Child molester, Incesstual corpse fucker, friend of Margaret Thatcher and presenter of Top of the Pops. Ugh.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yup, my skin still crawls like gently caress at the sight of Jimmy Savile.

Child molester, Incesstual corpse fucker, friend of Margaret Thatcher and presenter of Top of the Pops. Ugh.

Todd apparently watches a lot of his show during research.

I think he said that it never stops being uncomfortable.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Todd apparently watches a lot of his show during research.

I think he said that it never stops being uncomfortable.

Try that but for all of British TV.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Benne posted:

How can y'all talk about amazing basketball scenes and not even mention this gem from Catwoman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

Clearly a charge, no basket.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Huh, for some reason I always thought it was Suede too.
When he showed footage of the band, for some reason I thought it was some kind of Star Wars tribute act with Luke singing...and then I realised that's just what the lead singer looks like.
But yes, I can't say I like this song, there's something extremely uncomfortable about oogga-chugga-oogga-chugga. Like..racial stereotype uncomfortable. And it coming from a native american stereotype novelty song makes a lot of sense.

Still, lots of interesting stuff about the song - I had no idea it had such a long history before this particular version.
I'm surprised he didn't mention the fact that the other side of Jonathan king's single was..."I don't want to be gay." Uhhhhhh....

For years I thought the song was an original David Hasselhoff song. The fact that it isn't just makes me dissapointed

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For some reason I always thought it was Neil Diamond. That may have just been Kazaa lying to me. Wouldn't have been the first time.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That was a weak as hell video. I can't name a single actual criticism Todd had of the song, it all just came back to "I don't like it" and "~just listen~" as if this beloved pop song was supposed to be self-evidently lovely. Todd is usually pretty decent at recognizing that taste in music is insanely subjective, and drat good at articulating precisely why he does(n't) like a song, but that OHW is a pretty massive failure of both of those skills.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
After listening to the BJ Thomas version, I can somewhat appreciate why he dislikes the Blue Swede version. The original is relatively underplayed and nuanced-- it's a kinder, softer "Hooked on a Feeling." The Blue Swede version is such bombast in comparison. That's why it stands out to most people, but most people don't have the quieter version as a point of comparison. I guess it's the same as Todd's complaint against Pseudo Echo's cover of "Funky Town" (except that no one likes Pseudo Echo's version of "Funky Town"). Often (not always), when you amp something up to a ridiculous degree, you gut out whatever made the song interesting/fun/original. Personally, I like the Blue Swede version, but upon hearing the original, I think I like it better.

Of course, I like the flying-on-a-motorcycle/fur-clad-toboggan-surfer/random-alien-a-minute-in Hoff version best. You don't beat Mitch von Malibu.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This sucks, broteam is a cool guy.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Ronk a Donk posted:

Of course, I like the flying-on-a-motorcycle/fur-clad-toboggan-surfer/random-alien-a-minute-in Hoff version best. You don't beat Mitch von Malibu.
That is the greatest Hasselhoff video of all time, followed by Jump in My Car.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

On the off-chance you read this Lupa, thanks for introducing me to "Bernard and the Genie." I had a memory of your review today, fired the review up up, found the movie itself online and it was a welcome pick-me-up. Keep doing what you're doing girl, it does have an impact.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

mind the walrus posted:

On the off-chance you read this Lupa, thanks for introducing me to "Bernard and the Genie." I had a memory of your review today, fired the review up up, found the movie itself online and it was a welcome pick-me-up. Keep doing what you're doing girl, it does have an impact.

Oh thank you! It was a really fun Christmas movie; much more heartfelt than I expected. Glad it lifted your spirits!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

I was going to post the unintentionally hilarious single cover by Jonathan King that Todd showed in the video and then...uh, yeah. :stare:

I did get a chuckle at the Blue Swede cover of Half Breed joke as I'm a half-Swede.

It really wasn't a very fun review to watch. Todd's fixation on the "ooga-chaka" thing gets old halfway through. I do understand his vitriol, though: when a band puts out what you perceive as an inferior cover that eclipses the original, that can be a tough one to swallow. But even by his own admission the original (as a whole) wasn't that great to begin with, so why get so upset?

His frustration with the subject matter becomes an obstacle in enjoying the video. The Hasselhoff version alone is worthy of a video for the sheer goofy :psyduck: of it all. But here, had you sneezed at the moment Todd mentioned it, you would've missed it.

Look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 18, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

David Hasselhoff is very precious.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

KayTee posted:

The last Retsutalk had a bit of a focus on bullet-hell shooters, and then Jontron did a thing on them :tinfoil:

(Also featuring Samurai Zombie Nation - one of the Spoony one's first; and Cho Aniki, which is Cho Aniki and needs no further description.)

What's the one he mentions at about 1:30? The colorful one where you're fighting a giant mermaid? Sounds like he's saying "Herodius" or "Theordius". It's hard to understand him sometimes but I'd like to know what that one is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

cubs2084 posted:

What's the one he mentions at about 1:30? The colorful one where you're fighting a giant mermaid?

One of the Parodius games; dunno which one offhand though.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

On his pissy "Wow Japanese suuuuure are weird" during the Artichoke part, he glossed over GyNoug. I'm surprised THAT didn't pop on his description, but again there are very good reasons (Both sort of challenging and well the cybernatic bleeding making GBS threads dick on stage 5. NWS)

The game is Parodius 2/Gokujou Parodius for the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

That is the greatest Hasselhoff video of all time, followed by Jump in My Car.

In third place?

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC_ej9qS_k

• Locked thread