Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Can this possibly end without a death, on one side or the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Press getting arrested for attempting to do their jobs now too: https://twitter.com/robcrilly

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So can LRADs cause permanent hearing damage?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KernelSlanders posted:

What's the legal authority to declare a curfew?

The governor can declare a state of emergency, and that gives him sweeping powers up to and including martial law.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
http://new.livestream.com/timcast/events/3295551 - right on the front line of the protesters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Javes posted:

So can LRADs cause permanent hearing damage?

Absolutely.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
VICE owning yet another crisis with press coverage. Ukraine, Venezuela, ISIS, Ferguson, etc. Makes the rest of the media look worthless.

[immediately turns volume down on computer]

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Gunshots

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Gunshots heard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Note that the first two words making up LRAD are "long range". Guess what they're not using their LRAD at.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Johnson orders two journos arrested, but they're free now

https://twitter.com/robcrilly

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
First two comments I saw on the Vice stream:

"Pants up! Don't Loot!"

"Who let the chimps out?"

:smithicide:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cease to Hope posted:

They were still detained, which is illegal.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

smg77 posted:

"Pants up! Don't Loot!"

4Chan is in the chat.

Looks like the cops are trying to flank the protesters.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Cease to Hope posted:

What an odd choice to send him there.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
This is like a loving nightmare, I hope Tim Pool makes it out OK.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hobbesmaster posted:

Note that the first two words making up LRAD are "long range". Guess what they're not using their LRAD at.

That would imply them to have any training with these weapons.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
VICE dude sounds like he is running, feed is choppy.

smg77 posted:

"Pants up! Don't Loot!"

They're trolls trying to be funny. Welcome to the internet.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

smg77 posted:

"Pants up! Don't Loot!"

I've been keeping an eye on a couple streams, there's a bunch of racists on all of them. Sad but not surprising.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
VICE reports someone was hit, said they can't feel their leg. Police charged.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Vice guy mentioned REALLY quick while moving that someone was hit and can't move his leg?

Jesus gently caress.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

yep

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Vice guy mentioned REALLY quick while moving that someone was hit and can't move his leg?

Jesus gently caress.

Said he heard someone say they were hit. KSDK says possibly a woman was hit.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mike Brown preliminary autopsy released: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us/michael-brown-autopsy-shows-he-was-shot-at-least-6-times.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=1&referrer=

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shot at long range.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Six times.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
KARG video streamer being confronted/threatened by police...hard to understand cause I'm listening to both streams.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

At least.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Glad I got out of there when I did, I saw the police blockade had been set up way earlier today than yesterday. I gears talk of tear gas as I was leaving, but hadn't heard gunshots.

I interviewed an eyewitness today who said that what she had seen was mike brown turn and run from the officer, the officer fired, brown jerked as if he was shot from behind, stopped, turned and put his hands up, then the officer approached him still firing. She doesn't have an estimate on the number of shots but saw the officer shoot brown in the head while approaching him.

Another guy I talked to said he heard 11 shots and was very particular about that number. I don't know if that included a shot allegedly inside the car but if it doesn't, that would make sense if a clip is 12 bullets.

He also mentioned the officer was in an SUV, not a car. The difference is important as the witness testimony is that Wilson grabbed brown around the neck to pull him in, which would be impossible if he was seated in a cruiser. It would also make it more difficult for brown to try to go for the officer's gun.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

The - at least - six shots were apparently all from the front, scattered over the head and right arm. At least that's what the article's telling me, later full autopsies will be done to confirm of course.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Regarding the autopsy, aren't police trained that when they fire their weapon to keep shooting until they feel the threat has ceased? Brown being shot 6 times doesn't surprise me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Coup de grace.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

shot at long range.

They need to test his clothes to confirm this unfortunately.

Four fuckin entry wounds in his right arm??

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Real hurthling! posted:

shot at long range.

"long range" in that context means far enough to not have powder burns -- only a few feet. Don't read too much into that just yet.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"Get the gently caress out of here or I will shoot you with this."

Police officer with gun drawn, to the KARG video streamer a couple of minutes ago.

Jesus gently caress.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

what gun shoots those wooden disks? who manufactures them?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

pillsburysoldier posted:

what gun shoots those wooden disks? who manufactures them?

They are a 12 gauge specialty shell. Or 37mm.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Javes posted:

Regarding the autopsy, aren't police trained that when they fire their weapon to keep shooting until they feel the threat has ceased? Brown being shot 6 times doesn't surprise me.

*fires gun five times at an unarmed kid* uhhhhhhh I guess he might be the terminator better be safe *takes one more shot*

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

That livestream is like some creepy loving dystopian society found footage horror movie, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Javes posted:

“In my capacity as the forensic examiner for the New York State Police, I would say, ‘You’re not supposed to shoot so many times,’ ” said Dr. Baden, who retired from the state police in 2011. “Right now there is too little information to forensically reconstruct the shooting.”

That's from intervew Baden did after the autopsy report, so apparently it's not all that common.

• Locked thread