Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Sure Tones, the F35 purchase, etc if you want to agree with your false premise of cuts when its a structural income problem from Howards high end tax cuts. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

He has had months to think about an answer on ICAC before being asked.

And that is the best he and his entire army of minders and speech writers can come up with?

lol. Tony fails again.

quote:

On 14 September 2011, a radical bill was tabled by Premier Barry O'Farrell which would ban any donations from corporations, unions or other organisations; only individuals would be permitted to donate, up to a cap of one thousand dollars.[18] The bill was passed on 16 February, 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_donations_in_Australia#New_South_Wales

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

epipen posted:

:siren:https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...v-1227027391964:siren:

lol.
tl;dr: wahhhh people are questioning ~the will of the people~

"The population is overwhelmingly against the things that the politicians of the supposedly representative democracy want to do. This is clearly a problem with the voters."

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

SynthOrange posted:

Abots reply to continuing budget woes: Literally 'I dont see you doing any better!'

"What I say to all of the crossbench senators is if you don't like what the Government is putting up, give us your alternative in terms of how we save money.

This is what every company says when they try to ram pay freezes and removal of conditions down your throat. We aren't smart enough to do anything but cut, so you do it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

SynthOrange posted:

Abots reply to continuing budget woes: Literally 'I dont see you doing any better!'

"What I say to all of the crossbench senators is if you don't like what the Government is putting up, give us your alternative in terms of how we save money.

For those playing at home:

*Negative gearing
*Superannuation tax concessions
*Family trust tax concessions
*Capital gains tax discount

Remove/reduce these massive tax loopholes for millionaires, and presto you've balanced the budget.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

SynthOrange posted:

I'm the head chef of a restaurant serving up plates of poo poo to customers. The customers are angry, the bar staff, waitstaff and chefs under me are telling me I can't serve plates of poo poo to people. But I'm going to keep serving plates of poo poo to people until someone makes a burger or something.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 18, 2014

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Haters Objector posted:

For those playing at home:

*Negative gearing
*Superannuation tax concessions
*Family trust tax concessions
*Capital gains tax discount

Remove/reduce these massive tax loopholes for millionaires, and presto you've balanced the budget.

Also build a time machine and go back in time and DON'T SELL TELSTRA.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

Or at the very least, just structurally separate the retail and wholesale arms and keep the wholesale division.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

"You do it then" is a frighteningly stupid thing to say since a lot of the criticism has come from acclaimed economists who can and probably would do better if given the chance. But it's much easier to yell "I DON'T SEE YOU FIXING LABOR'S WASTE :qq:" and then resolutely ignore all responses than it is to take criticism and make a better budget.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
The petulant babies are back in charge.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I like how Abbott is a traditionalist and conservative except when it comes to the role of the Senate why won't you do what we want

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I just found out that this site exists, and boy is it amazing. Lunatic aristocrat and evidently illiterate person Geoffrey Edelsten attempting to write hit pieces on journalists who accurately report his buffoonery.

quote:

The public and more particularly, the subject of a journalist's diatribe, have very few courses open to them to express their disagreement or displeasure with the article published in widely read publications, and then remaining on the internet for an indeterminate period.

This website has been set up to attempt to rectify this imbalance, and allow members of the public to vent their views.

Journalists are required to comply with a code of ethics, but in almost every case reported below, the journalist has breached this code in one or more ways by deliberately publishing factual errors, to which no named source is attributed, fabricating matters and being blatantly dishonest, being totally unbalanced and unfair when they have been given the true facts from their subject, but fail to publish these as an answer to the journalist's point of view.

In addition, many plagiarise the views of others so that the same factual errors are perpetuated.

Well said Geoff, you crazy fucker.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Mithranderp posted:

Also, stop Keating selling CSL for less than what 3 dividend payments on a majority shareholding would've generated in any of the last 4 financial years.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

No but you see privatising them is what made them successful#

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Tony keeps on being Tony

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/18/blackest-day-in-australian-sport-really-a-black-day-for-labor-says-tony-abbott

quote:

The so-called blackest day in Australian sport was really a black day for Australian politics, Tony Abbott has said.

The prime minister stepped up his criticism of the previous Labor government’s response to claims of doping in the country’s most popular sporting codes.

“I’m not saying everything’s perfect when it comes to sport and performance-enhancing drugs,” he told Macquarie Radio on Monday.

“But far from being the blackest day for Australian sport, it was a black day for politics, it was a black day for the Labor party.”

Labor chose to blacken the name of the nation’s sporting elite to give itself a short-term political distraction, Abbott said, describing it as a “silly, squalid, sordid” thing to do. “It’s pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.”[/b]

Eighteen months later, a lot of decent people were still struggling to restore their reputations, he said.

“It was just really appalling that people could stoop to this level,” he said.

Labor ministers Kate Lundy and Jason Clare were flanked by sporting chiefs when they released the findings of an anti-doping investigation in February 2013.

Richard Ings, the former boss of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (Asada), labelled it the blackest day in Australian sport.

Justice John Middleton has reserved his decision in a federal court case over whether the investigation of Essendon by Asada and the AFL was lawful.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Wait is he saying doping is totally Cool and Good.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, he's saying, vote for me sports fans.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Sports fans had a party (rip)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

LaborLibs chose to blacken the name of the nation’s sporting eliteunions to give itself a short-term political distraction, Abbott said, describing it as a “silly, squalid, sordid” thing to do. “It’s pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.”

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I'm crying into my keyboard at the thought of the impugned reputations of all those drug cheats

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gough Suppressant posted:

He has had months to think about an answer on ICAC before being asked.

And that is the best he and his entire army of minders and speech writers can come up with?

It's not even a new line; the "it's only illegal because Labor made it illegal" has been floating around as a defence for a while.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Good to know laws are only meant to apply to me if I think they should.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Another thing that voters are against but Abbot and co are blithely continuing with, the destruction of RET and solar:

Philip Coorey, AFR posted:

The federal government is moving towards abolishing the Renewable Energy Target rather than scaling it back in a move that will cost almost $11 billion in proposed investment and which is at odds with the views of its own Environment Minister.

The Australian Financial Review understands Prime Minister Tony Abbott has asked businessman Dick Warburton, whom he handpicked after the election to review the RET, to do more work on the option of terminating the target altogether. This was after Mr Warburton’s review leant towards scaling back the RET.

Sources said Environment Minister Greg Hunt, who advocated scaling back the RET as a compromise, has been sidelined from the process and is understood to be unhappy. They said Mr Abbott, Treasurer Joe Hockey and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann are pushing the issue now.

A government source said when the government announced its decision, possibly before the end of this month, it was now “more likely’’ the RET will be abolished under a so-called “closed to new entrants scenario’’ in which existing contracts only would be honoured.

Given Clive Palmer has vowed to block any change to the RET until after the 2016 election, it remains unclear when the government could declare the RET terminated.

Independent modelling commissioned by the Climate Institute and other environmental groups, and which will be released Monday, found that under the termination scenario, coal-fired power generators would reap an extra $25 billion in profits between 2015 and 2030.

There would be no reduction to household power prices and carbon emissions would climb by 15 million tonnes a year on the back of a 9 percent increase in coal-fired power.

DIMINISHED INVESTMENTS
Abolishing the RET would diminish investment in renewable energy by $10.6 billion, said the modelling, conducted by consulting firm Jacobs.

Conceived under the Howard government, the RET mandated that 20 per cent of Australia’s electricity be ­generated from renewable sources by 2020. The Abbott government has been lobbied heavily by the business and energy sectors to abolish or water it down as renewable energy gained a larger than expected share of the ­electricity market.

When the RET was first conceived, it was envisaged 20 per cent of total power production by 2020 would equate to 41,000 gigawatt/hours of renewable energy produced each year.

Under the scaleback favoured by Mr Hunt, annual production of renewable energy in 2020 would be reduced to 27,000GWh. But this would still amount to 20 per cent of total energy production because forecast total energy production for 2020 had been downgraded due to the decline in ­manufacturing, especially the collapse of the car industry and the closure of two ­aluminium smelters. This is known as the “real 20 per cent” option.

The abolition proposal would reduce renewable energy production in 2020 to 16,000GWh.

It is understood Mr Abbott’s office was briefed on the recommendations of the Warburton review in late July. The review found the RET did not add ­significantly to household and commercial power bills, as its critics, including Mr Abbott, had argued, and that it should be scaled back to the real 20 per cent model as advocated by Mr Hunt.

With the government favouring ­termination, Mr Warburton was asked to give the option more consideration and his report is expected this week.

ENERGY OVERSUPPLY

The government source said the market was oversupplied with energy and there was no longer any cause for a mandated use of any specific type of power. The source said while there would be investment losses if the RET was abolished, or even scaled back, investors “would have to have been blind to know this wasn’t coming’’.

Miles George, managing director of renewable company Infigen Energy, said either scaling back or terminating the RET “would be devastating”.

He said the creation of sovereign risk would be significant and the very issue had been raised by prospective foreign investors, including Canadian pension funds which Mr Abbott sought to woo when abroad in June.

“Infigen’s shareholder base of over 20,000 investors has invested in ­renewable energy in Australia on the basis of a fixed target of 41,000 GWh by 2020,’’ Mr George said. “This is no different to investors in private public partnerships acquiring a toll road ­concession, or a port lease.

“If the Government pulls the rug from under institutional investors in renewable energy we shouldn’t expect those investors to come back to buy other infrastructure assets here, ­including the electricity networks and ­generation assets that the governments of NSW and Queensland are proposing to sell or lease.”

So despite the fact that it's unlikely to even come to pass until 2016ish, plenty of time for a concerted and embarrassing campaign to be whipped up (dunno where you live, but round my way there is HEAPS of solar power going on), Abbott is going to get Hunt to wear it, destroy jobs and a major industry AND investment but who cares right, coal is saved!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Captain Pissweak posted:

Good to know laws are only meant to apply to me if I think they should.

Which government made riding without a helmet illegal?

This is important.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ban Islam now

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
if muslims enlightened how me, a white, learned english

checkmate islamists

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Beetfauxnen posted:

the day after i ask about a bike! Cartoon is behind this I just know it. :argh:
:smug:

Joan Kirner in 1989 in Victoria.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

First class passenger receives free bottles of whiskey, complains about having to pay additional baggage costs.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

No, he's saying, vote for me sports fans.

I don't really fit the bill of "sports fan" but I have a feeling I would watch a lot more sport if there was more god drat performance enhancing drugs in it. In an ideal world, doping would be mandatory for athletes. Is any sport without it any good at all?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
esports

e: im a professional esports doper

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

esports

e: im a professional esports doper

It does actually happen.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I don't really fit the bill of "sports fan" but I have a feeling I would watch a lot more sport if there was more god drat performance enhancing drugs in it. In an ideal world, doping would be mandatory for athletes. Is any sport without it any good at all?

It reads to me more like Abbott is completely at the end of his rope and (shockingly) has no idea what to do or how to comport himself as a Prime Minister, so he's just going to fall back to being in opposition and continue to just endlessly dump on Labor instead giving governing a go.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
To be honest though, Abbott does kind of have a point about the "blackest day in Australian sport" press conference. It was pretty stupid in the sense that two ministers stood there and talked about their investigation showing rock-solid evidence of widespread doping and match fixing, but then basically had nothing to back themselves up until much later on.

It really felt like it was a case of "press conference first, sort out the details later". And the way they were talking, it sounded like most football players across all codes were doing it - not just two clubs with idiot coaches. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was actually more widespread than we've seen so far, but there's no (public) evidence to back anything up.

And whatever happened with the match-fixing claims? Supposedly there were all these international crime gangs targeting Australian sport for match fixing, but all I can remember is a couple of sub A-League soccer players on the take?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Laserface posted:

Goons,

Where's the best burgers in Adelaide?
Agree with what's been posted above.

Today we're having a Young Greens meeting in town and likely to be having drinks nearby afterwards if you're in the area. There's also the protests against Abbott this Thursday that a few of us will be attending. Hit us up on the SA Young Greens Facebook group or the Green Goons Group if you're keen.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

webmeister posted:

To be honest though, Abbott does kind of have a point about the "blackest day in Australian sport" press conference. It was pretty stupid in the sense that two ministers stood there and talked about their investigation showing rock-solid evidence of widespread doping and match fixing, but then basically had nothing to back themselves up until much later on.

Yeah, some law professor was giving some background on NewsRadio last week and said the Essendon case is pretty solid - ASADA way overstepped its legal authority in the way they teamed up with the feds, and are likely going to get a kicking as a result.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tirade posted:

Yeah, some law professor was giving some background on NewsRadio last week and said the Essendon case is pretty solid - ASADA way overstepped its legal authority in the way they teamed up with the feds, and are likely going to get a kicking as a result.

Although this in no way restricts ASADA from re-issuing notices to show cause, and use the information they have gathered since the joint investigation to prosecute those.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Despite my best efforts of asking the dude in the office where the best burgers are, or where the best things ti visit are at night, he still hasnt cottoned on to the idea that I dont want to get dinner with him.

since he wants to eat at my hotel tonight, I guess I am going to just eat a regular steak dinner instead of finding the best burger in the country.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Laserface posted:

Despite my best efforts of asking the dude in the office where the best burgers are, or where the best things ti visit are at night, he still hasnt cottoned on to the idea that I dont want to get dinner with him.

since he wants to eat at my hotel tonight, I guess I am going to just eat a regular steak dinner instead of finding the best burger in the country.

Arrange to meet him in the hotel foyer at 7pm. Leave the hotel at 6:45pm and turn your phone off.

Tomorrow, tell him that you got really sick and your phone ran out of battery.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Don't eat at the hotel with him, he is a sadsack who will never help you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tell him you don't want no scrubs.

• Locked thread