Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dunno how many mraps they actually have tho. i wonder if they are training anyone on helicopters to take advantage of the blackhawks they captured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres no way those guys are going to be able to fly heli's

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THS posted:

i dunno how many mraps they actually have tho. i wonder if they are training anyone on helicopters to take advantage of the blackhawks they captured

Probably not it's sort of counter to how a force like ISIS operates.

To have a air force you need piles of people with specialized training from mechanics to actual pilots. Plus I'm sure the US would bomb the airfield to kingdom come if they somehow decided they wanted to go that route.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Davincie posted:

how much harder is it to fly a blackhawk than to steer a 767 into a skycraper

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
who gives a poo poo about maintenance just pile up a few with c4 and fly them into the us embassy

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

turdriver posted:

who gives a poo poo about maintenance just pile up a few with c4 and fly them into the us embassy

the old battlefield 4 strategy

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Davincie posted:

considering the one major group which eventually merged into ISIS was AQI which consisted largely of former iraqi army personnel laid off overnight by CPAO 2 i wouldn't be so sure

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Plus isn't IS being supported by a cabal of millionaires from the Arab world? I bet they could always buy a merc. or two to fly the choppers in a pinch.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

THS posted:

they went to flight school for that

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

ethanol posted:

a world first jihad reaper drone is gonna hellfire the dam, it's gonna be sweet

why would ISIS flood themselves

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

IMO ISIS could fly the Blackhawks, but they'd have no reason to (even if they had trained pilots, which isnt outside of the realm of possibility). And if they flew them, then maintenance would be a huge issue that I dont think could be overcome easily. Without all the support infrastructure its just a waste of time and resources.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

So this is one of those times where we funnel our enemy a bunch of monkey model M-16s and M113s and Humvees and Bradleys etc, so we can watch them try and play US Marines toys for a while until they abandon them and go back to AKs and Toyotas.

Pentagon had some sneaky project in Vietnam where they gave some people booby trapped explosive soviet 7x62 rounds they they were supposed to plant in enemy pouches and magazines to convince the enemy that the M-16 was superior because AK-47s blew up a lot.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RevSyd posted:

Pentagon had some sneaky project in Vietnam where they gave some people booby trapped explosive soviet 7x62 rounds they they were supposed to plant in enemy pouches and magazines to convince the enemy that the M-16 was superior because AK-47s blew up a lot.

Yeah, but read up on how that project turned out.

There's no need to funnel them anything tbh. Things are at a kind of stalemate for now. I imagine the threat of US air hitting moving groups limits the chance for any real action since ISIS is just hunkering down in villages etc where airstrikes wont hit.

Everyone is just sort of chilling while the Kurds get their breath back, and try to figure out where to go from here.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, but read up on how that project turned out.

what was the name of the project

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

what was the name of the project

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son

Honestly didnt know til I googled "CIA fake ammo vietnam" or some such :(

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003

Davincie posted:

no seriously, send in the anime helicopters

why do they make the anime eyes so big? they dont look asian at all

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
america culturally dominated japan with Disney back in the 50s-60s

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan as a nation is deeply ashamed of who they are as a people

Ever since America nuked and made them their submissive bitch, they've been in a steady cultural and social decline because they have lost their SAMURAI SPIRIT and now they shall know shame for the rest of time

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Japan as a nation is deeply ashamed of who they are as a people

Ever since America nuked and made them their submissive bitch, they've been in a steady cultural and social decline because they have lost their SAMURAI SPIRIT and now they shall know shame for the rest of time

No you see it will be ok because gaijin like their cartoons

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Plus isn't IS being supported by a cabal of millionaires from the Arab world? I bet they could always buy a merc. or two to fly the choppers in a pinch.

IS is at this point completely self-sustaining finance wise. They collect taxes from the population they've conquered and sell oil on the black market because they've captured several oil fields. They also have captured oil refineries, so all their gasoline is self-produced.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i just dealt a blow against isis by downloading one of their songs, without paying :911:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Does anyone here have a link to that go pro video shot by insurgents in Yemen, where they attack an outpost surrounded largely by flat terrain? It kind of looks like Call of Duty Yemen. I saw it early on in what I believe was the first iteration of this thread, but I can't find it anymore.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HalPhilipWalker posted:

IS is at this point completely self-sustaining finance wise. They collect taxes from the population they've conquered and sell oil on the black market because they've captured several oil fields. They also have captured oil refineries, so all their gasoline is self-produced.

lmao it's 2014 and there's seriously a loving caliphate up and running

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

KomodoWagon posted:

lmao it's 2014 and there's seriously a loving caliphate up and running

I mean we are only literally a century from the collapse of the last caliphate so...
also http://www.vox.com/2014/7/10/5884593/9-questions-about-the-caliphate-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 18, 2014

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

But it's 2014! We got the internet and tumbler now things are only looking up from here.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

it took years of planning and training just to do that. with how quickly ISIS is burning through any sympathy/supporters they're not going to have time to learn how to use attack helis by themselves

also helis are loving hard to keep flying. i'd never get in one of those things.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
now we can watch poors slaughter eachother in glorious high definition slow motion backed up by sick vocals and music

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

holy poo poo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The middle east is literally turning into call of duty

Send our dumbasses to go no scope these trolls

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

isis dudes would probably be fun to hang out with in the same way it's kind of fun ride atvs with your racist cousins who live out in the country

except instead of having to listen to them bitch about mexicans you'd have to assist them in a beheading, too bad

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
this is all well and good so far but have we decided whether the war nerd has great insights or is just cuckoo

i really need and answer on this.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
We live in a world where Iraqi special forces look exactly like american Policemen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

KARMA! posted:

this is all well and good so far but have we decided whether the war nerd has great insights or is just cuckoo

i really need and answer on this.

people keep saying he hasn't but those same people don't offer a single reason why so i'm guessing he knows what he's talking about

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
just drop ebola on them

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Pooned posted:

We live in a world where Iraqi special forces look exactly like american Policemen.

speaking of which

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dandywalken posted:

the kurds are strange to me because it seems that everyone Ive ever spoken to or read about thinks they're good guys aside from the Turks.

What did they do to obtain such all-reaching approval? Just minding their own business?

The Kurds have the advantage of all the bad stuff they did as Ottoman Henchmen is getting attributed to the Ottoman empire by large and therefore the Turkish people in general. So nobody really cares about them with the exception of those countries the Kurds claim as beeing part of the future Kurdistan which, by now, is free of the Armenians that used to be situationed there but were kind of wiped in the last years of the Ottoman Empire, with the help of the Kurds... but like I mentioned, everybody just blames current day Turkey for anything the Ottoman empire ever did.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Davincie posted:

people keep saying he hasn't but those same people don't offer a single reason why so i'm guessing he knows what he's talking about

You should look up his predicitons on how the current conflict would play out, how the Peshmerga would school ISIS and send them running back to Syria as soon as they entered Kurdistan proper.

Peshmerga turned out to be a bigger letdown than the Iraqi republican guard during gulfwar 1.

Warnerd posted:

The biggest and strongest of the hill tribes, the Iraqi Kurds, are a little safer. Not only do they have the best fighting force in Iraq in the Pesh Merga, but they are safe behind a wall of high hills. The big Kurdish cities, Erbil and Suleimaniya (my beloved home in 2009-10), are safe behind high hills, far from the Sunni plain. Suleimaniya has an official altitude of about 2900 feet/900 meters, and the hills that surround the city are much higher, with Halgurd, Iraqi Kurdistan’s highest point, reaching 12,000 feet. Terrible, terrible ground for a light, mobile attacker like I.S.I.S—thank god, or tectonics, or whatever.
... <SNIP>
At the moment, I.S.I.S isn’t even trying to pick a fight with the Pesh Merga—a fight they would lose very quickly if it ever did happen. But then Sunni jihadis have always liked softer targets, the softer the better.

Yeah not really, kinda need US support to hang on to Erbil.

E: edited in the even more hilarious analysis.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 18, 2014

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
Talking about ISIS music, does anyone know how the cool track is called that plays during their crazy drive-bys? The one with the chanting. tia

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Vittek posted:

Talking about ISIS music, does anyone know how the cool track is called that plays during their crazy drive-bys? The one with the chanting. tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI6Us5_BaVU
This one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
No, it's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

• Locked thread