Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Flamester posted:

I am the richest at the moment, with over 3000 Dorfbucks. Looks like I finally beat silverminnow with that last match.

Holy hell, 6 for 6 on your bets so far for the entire tournament. Surely that can't last forever. Or can it? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ignite Memories posted:

The rest of you might have things like "lethal weapons" and "competent fighters", but do you have FAN ART?

That's right you don't.

That's awesome.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, even if we lost, Jack is clearly the most badass of anyone in this tournament. Keeps getting heart-shot, keeps fighting.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

But don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
I just don't think it'd understand
And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
He might blow up and kill this man

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jack the Lad posted:

But don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
I just don't think it'd understand
And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
He might blow up and kill this man

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zwingley posted:

I turned my 10 dorfbucks into a nickle short of 36. :negative:

High five, tenbux buddy!

That combat log is hilarious. I stab jack in the heart, leave the spear lodged in the wound for like 20 lines of combat, charge into him, get knocked down and then pull the spear out of Jacks chest. I have no idea how he was alive long enough to cripple Paper but maybe Jack is some kind of superman. Also, jack is a lefty this match. Is everyone a lefty? I never paid attention before.

Then we have Love biting Likely's head and thrashing around like a maniac. 'An artery has been torn' shows up a dozen times during that but he doesn't live long enough to bleed out.

Amazing, thanks to Paper who bought time for us two with his shield.

I will run the next fight in like 3 hours tops.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 18, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Man, you guys are going to get done with this before I even make it home from work. Nice going.

Also - Locomotive Breath, was your submitted fighter's name "Papier Machete"? Because that would be the correct spelling. I didn't get it at all until I saw your thing about correcting spelling and tried to figure out what the original would have been.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Flamester posted:

I am the richest at the moment, with over 3000 Dorfbucks. Looks like I finally beat silverminnow with that last match.

Congrats! You'll either be even more ahead of the pack or behind again after the next match! Ah the life of betting on imaginary arena battles.

As a side note, c'mon Little Guys Long Spears! You got this!

Also my team I guess.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Cross-posting from the main thread because it's pretty relevant:

scamtank posted:

Oh, hey, more science.
  • Quick attacks hit with only half force. Heavy and wild attacks hit with 1.5x force. Precision attacks only affect accuracy.
  • Extremely high skill doesn't really increase the amount of damage per se, but just tilts the table so the rolls consistently hit the upper limit. The upper bounds are your weapon's material strength and your own personal bulk.
  • The new head doesn't have any kind of secret force shielding. It's all to do with the bigger skull.
  • Hitting prone dudes does double damage!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren::siren: Test tournament, round 2, match whatever :siren::siren:

On the left, Catholicism features a kobold named The Pope managed by Coward, Aspenger the female human managed by iLonie, and snarfsnarf the Tigerwoman managed by grobbendonk.

On the right, Little Guys Long Spears. Their fighters are Whip It Out, a gremlin managed by unwantedplatypus, Friendly Friar the Kobold managed by Ninjavitis, and Cat Stevens the tigerman managed by Boing

Looks like they match up in size, lets see how they match up in the arena!

The fighters charge across the arena floor, 2 arrows fly from opposing Kobold archers. Aspenger dodges an Adamantine arrow, while Cat Stevens takes an iron arrow to the hand which chips bone.

The two tigermen square off in the center of the arena while Whip It Out and Aspenger duel. Whip It Out dodges a strike from Aspenger and now realizes there is an archer within range!

In the middle of the arena snarfsnarf swings at Cat Stevens who dodges right into the way of an iron arrow fired by The Pope. The arrow connects solidly, but fails to penetrate the armor. An incredibly lucky outcome for Cat Stevens.
To the left of the arena the little gremlin Whip It Out swings at The Pope who is forced to jump away. Aspenger moves to intercept and protect the little archer.

Note: This picture was taken a moment too late, this is after the description below
Then things happen quickly. Adamantine arrows pepper the arena, none making contact (or even in the logs, wtf).
On the left side: Whip It Out lashes Aspenger in the neck and opening an artery! Aspenger swings back, gets parried, and is struck in the hand by the deadly gremlin causing her to drop her shield.
In the center snarfsnarf bashes Cat Stevens in the tail, fracturing bone. The pain is too much and Cat Stevens goes down! The huge tigerman is helpless and a moment later Cat Stevens is no more. snarfsnarf picks up a much-needed kill for his team. Without wasting a moment, snarfsnarf charges back to help Aspenger.

The Pope is forced to dodge again and again, unable to pause to reload. Whip It Out continues to get the better of Aspenger, knocking Aspenger unconscious with a devastating blow to the arm. Two strikes are now deflected by Aspengers helmet, and then snarfsnarf arrives like an avalanche. The Pope finally reloads but misses Whip It Out narrowly. snarfsnarf casually blocks an adamantine arrow on his copper shield.
Blows are exchanged, then snarfsnarf knocks Whip It Out down with a charge. Whip It Out strikes from the ground, but is unable to penetrate the larger fighters armor.

What happens next is not in the images sadly. It happened too quick, I was not expecting it.

Whip It Out rolls away from snarfsnarf, swings and connects with The Pope causing a mild bruise. The little gremlin turns and smacks Aspenger in the head for the 5th time, but the helmet protects the downed human. Another turn and Whip It Out hits snarfsnarf but is again unable to harm the armored giant. Whip It Out dodges from snarfsnarf's attack and smacks The Pope again. This little bastard is beating on all 3 of the Catholicism team. Good show, little guy. This goes on for a few more moments before Aspenger finally regains consciousness and stands up.

I dont know if it was the shock of Aspenger standing that halted Whip It Out for a half-second, but that's what I believe. The Pope fires point blank and hits the fiesty gremlin in the left leg, chipping bone and bringing him to the floor. Even as he is going to the floor, Whip It Out strikes out at the two larger opponents.

This little guy will not go down without a fight. snarfsnarf and Aspenger swing ineffectually at the downed gremlin, but Whip It Out gives them both a beating while his broken leg trails behind him uselessly.

Friendly Friar sees his teammate down and fires two quick shots. Neither come close. He reloads in a hurry.

Like all good things, it must come to an end. The Pope finds his moment and fires another arrow from point blank range. It flies true, flying into Whip It Outs right leg and chipping the bone. This is too much for the little guy and he passes out from the pain.

snarfsnarf stands above the downed gremlin and smashes him eight or nine times with his copper shield before finally killing the little fighter.

Now it is a duel of the archers, The Pope quickly takes the advantage by driving an Iron Arrow into the right lung of Friendly Friar.

Friendly Friar looks up just in time to see snarfsnarf bringing a shield down onto his skull.

Game over, Little Guys Long Spears.

Catholicism wins 3-0, with all 3 kills going to snarfsnarf.

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 18, 2014

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Also - Locomotive Breath, was your submitted fighter's name "Papier Machete"? Because that would be the correct spelling. I didn't get it at all until I saw your thing about correcting spelling and tried to figure out what the original would have been.

Aaaah, my fighter's name may or may not have been an attempt at a pun based around papier mache, that I may or may not have botched with my own incompetence. I can neither confirm nor deny! Though I'd seen it spelled without the "i" before, so I thought that much was correct. It was more putting an extra "t" in machete that brought eternal shame to me and my team.

Oh also that was an okay write up or whatever, I guess. :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Yet again a heroic effort by a small whip-and-shield wielder is let down by their teammates. :smith:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The Pope did a good job there. Really stayed in the fight, and his shot counted in the end.

Made me a cool 531.03 dwarfbucks while he was at it, too. Woo! Got my bet in JUST in time!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I loving double-tapped the spacebar which paused and then immediately unpaused and then the entire second half of the fight happened in about one second. I didnt get any screenshots, but they would basically look the same as the one above it.

That was pretty funny to see the gremlin dodging the human, then realize he's close to the archer and start chasing the archer instead.

Edit: That's it for me this round as commissioner, so whoever is up go ahead and run the next ones.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 18, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I won a bet. The dream is dead.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
You know, seeing it like this, I like the name formatting. I might just use it.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I loving double-tapped the spacebar which paused and then immediately unpaused and then the entire second half of the fight happened in about one second. I didnt get any screenshots, but they would basically look the same as the one above it.

Yeah, I run almost the entire fight by serially pressing '.' for just that reason.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Silverminnow posted:

Little Guys Long Spears! You got this!

Dammit Little Guys Long Spears! That should plummet me down the betting pool enough that I wont be able to hit the top again!

Cool fight though, and yeah I like the bold and italics idea as well.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
One thing to note for commissioners: Do not swap windows when you are running a macro in the DF window. It'll screw up the macro and you'll have to start over.

I fully closed DF and re-launched to make sure everything was 100% good before I ran the fight after that happened to me.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
As of right now, the Boatmurdered and Gemclod division scenarios appear to be pretty clear.

Lucky Team 13 and The Wild Animals are headed to the playoffs. Their match next week will determine their playoff seeding (the winner gets to play a second place team in the first round, and the loser has to play a first place team in the first round). Daggum Polecats and Team Tiny Arms are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs at this point; next week they will be fighting just for the sake of pride.

The entire Gemclod division is wide open, with four teams tied at a win and a loss each! For Nonindicative Name, Catholicism, Little Guys Long Spears, and Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants, it's simple: win next week, and you advance to the playoffs. Lose, and you stay home!

Spermy Smurf posted:

One thing to note for commissioners: Do not swap windows when you are running a macro in the DF window. It'll screw up the macro and you'll have to start over.

I fully closed DF and re-launched to make sure everything was 100% good before I ran the fight after that happened to me.

This might have been what was causing those rare "random" macro problems I was encountering before. I'll add this to the commissioner instructions, thanks.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
That copper shield I bought for snarfsnarf is really paying off, I didn't expect to see her use it offensively

grobbendonk fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 18, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

This might have been what was causing those rare "random" macro problems I was encountering before. I'll add this to the commissioner instructions, thanks.

I know for sure that DF still respects modifier keys while running a macro. So if you fire up a macro that does something simple like a few plain keystrokes, but you hold down alt while it's running, that alt key will apply to every key press, which makes everything go cray-cray. Thus, alt-tabbing in the middle of a macro means that, at least for a moment, you're holding down the alt key on a bunch of your macro steps. Switching to a different app by way of the mouse SHOULD get around that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If someone doesn't run fights soon then I will abuse my commissioner power and run more tomorrow regardless of who is supposed to run them.

I got a taste of DF Arena and I want more!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Goddamn, Whip It Out is pretty :black101:. I thought Cat Stevens would be the star of the team.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Catholicism is avenged! :catholic:

Cardinals Aspenger and snarfsnarf have brought pride to the church, and a warm glow to the heart of this infallible kobold prelate. Who is also a woman for some reason. And holy crap that gremlin would not go down.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

If someone doesn't run fights soon then I will abuse my commissioner power and run more tomorrow regardless of who is supposed to run them.

I got a taste of DF Arena and I want more!

I think it's Maugrim's turn now, but maybe you can run one of his fights if we don't hear from him in the next few hours.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put Maug and Spermy in the arena, the winner gets to run the match.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Yet again a heroic effort by a small whip-and-shield wielder is let down by their teammates. :smith:

Ahem, its a scourge and whip it out has no use for shields.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

pun pundit posted:

Hey, buddy, over the last two fights all you've done is paralyzed one minotaur. I wouldn't be so high-and-mighty if I were you.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Ahem, its a scourge and whip it out has no use for shields.

gently caress yeah, scourge power :whip::respek::whip:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Looking forward to seeing how our division hashes out. Also dammit Cat Stevens- I bet on your team based on your previous performance.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

grobbendonk posted:

That copper shield I bought for snarfsnarf is really paying off, I didn't expect to see her use it offensively

Holy crap, I just read the combat log. You are not kidding.

Combat Log posted:

The 2_Whip It Out gives in to pain.
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the lower body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the upper body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the upper body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and bruising the left lung!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the lower body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and bruising the spleen!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the upper body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and shattering the right true ribs!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the upper body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the upper body with her copper shield, bruising the muscle and bruising the heart!
1_snarfsnarf strikes 2_Whip It Out in the upper body with her copper shield and the injured part is crushed!
2_Whip It Out has been struck down.

:stare:

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I'm just happy my ant got a hit in. :shobon:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I think it's Maugrim's turn now, but maybe you can run one of his fights if we don't hear from him in the next few hours.

Please go ahead and run the next fight (or three) guys, I'm genuinely inundated this week. If I get a chance I will pop up and grab a fight, but don't wait for me.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Ramc posted:

Looking forward to seeing how our division hashes out. Also dammit Cat Stevens- I bet on your team based on your previous performance.

Cat Stevens is a master of drama. It's much more exciting when we win the next round this way.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Please go ahead and run the next fight (or three) guys, I'm genuinely inundated this week. If I get a chance I will pop up and grab a fight, but don't wait for me.

Grabbing the next fight now.

There are more rounds and plenty more opportunity to run fights, so I figure you'll get another chance.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren::siren: Test tournament, round 2, match the next one:siren::siren:

On the left, Cave Pals Friend Squad features an antwoman named PedAnt managed by Reverence, Pulpy Van Winkle the male troll managed by Solid Poopsnake, and Nibbles the kobold managed by atomicthumbs.

On the right, Minotaur Mites. Their fighters are Grimdark the Smiley, the Kobold managed by perpetulance, MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior the minotaur managed by ZeeToo who can gently caress himself for making me type that name, and Gnomelette the female dark gnome managed by Maugrim. Now I want an omelette and I just had breakfast. Thanks a lot.

I haven't really checked the other teams very much, but is this the only Dark Gnome and Troll in the tournament? Regardless, lets fight.

They move across the arena, the first arrow from Grimdark harmlessly blocked by PedAnt. MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior and his smaller teammate Gnomelette race to the middle, seeking to block the enemy from their archer. The Cave Pals have no such archer and all charge the enemy.

A few blows are traded between the fighters, and within seconds MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior is brought to the arena floor by a well placed strike by PedAnt. The huge minotaur's left foot has been shattered! MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior continues trading blows from the ground, but is unable to do much. Another stab by PedAnt rips through his guts, causing unbearable pain and the big fighter falls unconscious. PedAnt stabs the minotaur in the head twice, Pulpy Van Winkle smashes him once and the minotaur is no more. The kill goes to PedAnt.

I have to say that things look very bleak for Gnomelette. She is all alone in the center of the arena against three much larger opponents. An amazing thing happens; Gnomelette dances away from them and puts together a very impressive performance of dodging away from his teammate and smacking the poo poo out of the opponents.

An arrow from Grimdark the Smiley flies true(ish), smashing the troll Pulpy Van Winkle's foot/toes to shards. This only enrages the troll who immediately smacks Gnomelette twice but only causing bruises. Pulpy Van Winkle charges the little fighter, but a quick dodge by Gnomelette causes Pulpy to collide with his teammate PedAnt!

But it doesn't help Gnomelette whose weapon or size is far too small to actually hurt anyone with more than a bruise. PedAnt stands up and casually slices Gnomelette's left leg, severing nerves and sending her to the floor. Once the Dark Gnome is down, PedAnt stabs her through the chest and severs the spine in the process. Gnomelette drops her weapons from hands that will no longer function.

Hey, Nibbles, about time you loving showed up. Nibbles takes part of a hand from the prone Gnomelette, and then PedAnt takes the rest of that hand off. Another swipe and Gnomette has lost both hands. Puply Van Winkle swings at Gnomelette and launches her skidding across the arena floor. Another arrow flies into the melee from Grimdark the Smiley but is blocked by PedAnt. Pulpy Van Winkle smashes Gnomelettes left leg to pulp, then Nibbles takes the entire forearm from the poor gnome. Gnomelette swings back at Nibbles (with what?) and then bleeds to death. Unsure who gets this kill, PedAnt did most of the work so I am awarding it to her.

All three of the Cave Pals turn and look at the lone kobold archer. Grimdark gets off another shot before being forced to dodge and dodge and dodge and dodge. He makes it nearly halfway across the arena after PedAnt stabs him in the leg. He reloads and fires point blank at Pulpy Van Winkle, but the arrow fails to penetrate through his copper mail. Nibbles finally makes it back to the fray and rips off part of Grimdark's jaw. Nibbles slashes again and again, cutting through to Grimdarks kidney, then nearly chopping his foot off. Pulpy Van Winkle smashes the kobold archer and sends him sliding across the floor where Nibbles chops his head off. Grimdark is down.

Cave Pals Friend Squad wins with an easy 3-0 victory. PedAnt gets 2 kills, Nibbles gets 1.

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This next fight will determine a playoff spot for either Platinum Helms or Meat and Two Veg. The winner will have a 2-0 record, the loser will be tied for second place (with Cave Pals and 1-1 records) and I forget how we do tiebreakers.

Minotaur Mites has been eliminated from playoff contention :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

This next fight will determine a playoff spot for either Platinum Helms or Meat and Two Veg. The winner will have a 2-0 record, the loser will be tied for second place (with Cave Pals and 1-1 records) and I forget how we do tiebreakers.

Minotaur Mites has been eliminated from playoff contention :(

Welp. After finding the *science notes* I posted on the last this very page, I'm not terribly surprised by that result - smaller contestants seem to be even more hosed in this version than they were in DF2010. Still, I'm glad Gnomelette got a chance to show off her pretty decent dodging skills.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 19, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
There is actually one more troll! Goodchild's Van Winkle, in The Ugly Ones.

Kind of interesting that in the "be experimental, it's a test" tournament we have 2 gremlins, 1 gnome, 0 yetis, and 2 trolls. We've got like six humans and seven kobolds or something like that, though.

I guess the extremes of size aren't as popular right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Maybe this is just observer bias but it feels like medium sized fighters armed with spears have been highly effective but perhaps that's just been a common build. There's been some very successful "big guy with a hammer" builds too. Shields feel as though they are a lot better than I remember with even a plain oak shield being a multiple lifesaver.

I guess "hide behind something and stab the other guy from where he can't stab you back" is a time-honoured path to success.

• Locked thread