Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm excited for the year. MACtion owns, BG owns, defense-optional games own, loose plays resulting in fat guy touchdowns own, weeknight games own, Dogg owns, orange jerseys own, video game offenses own, Bahamas Bowl owns, Pizza Bowl owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I'm glad Flagstaff got represented on the list. It's like a mini Boulder, minus the weed. It's on my list of places to retire one day. Go Lumberjacks or something.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

So CB I assume you're going to stop whining about Beamer and VaTech all the time now? They win 10 games like every year! I don't know how you can complain when Iowa State exists.

You realize I heard the rear end-opposite of this from the entire forum like 5 years ago when I first said Beamer was hot garbage, right? Why not do as others do and just mock people when they poo poo on their obviously bad coach? The entire forum sat there and said "you've had it good for so long who cares if you can't win a big game" when I was bemoaning the current and future state of the program which, if you can't tell, has gotten demonstrably worse to the point where they struggle to win games in the ACC. When I was screaming for Beamer to be fired and that he would never realize he's the problem and not the solution I had a forum of eye rolling retards acting like things could never improve and that Beamer is as good as it will get for VT. Now when it's clear he's pulled a Bowden everyone sits there wondering when he'll retire because they for some reason finally see him as the lukewarm relic of a bygone era of football that he is.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 18, 2014

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Morby posted:

Is Loefler still at VaTech? How is he doing there? I imagine VaTech was probably a better fit for his offense.

He is, this is his second year, and the first year he has more than a singular tight end, so it should be at least interesting. His play design is way better than what we've dealt with in the past, so it looks likely he'll be an upgrade over the previous OC. He's also recruiting QBs hilariously better than we were before, and his revamped O staff has turned our WR and OL recruiting from non-existent to good enough to play freshmen on an offense that didn't really lose any veterans outside of QB.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

You realize I heard the rear end-opposite of this from the entire forum like 5 years ago when I first said Beamer was hot garbage, right? Why not do as others do and just mock people when they poo poo on their obviously bad coach? The entire forum sat there and said "you've had it good for so long who cares if you can't win a big game" when I was bemoaning the current and future state of the program which, if you can't tell, has gotten demonstrably worse to the point where they struggle to win games in the ACC.

You had a famous nuclear meltdown where everyone was concerned for your safety.

We are just whining a little bit.

On a semi-related note, who was the cool FSU dude that got himself banned by posting the golf ball being putted into a girl's rear end in a top hat? Or something like that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

You had a famous nuclear meltdown where everyone was concerned for your safety.

We are just whining a little bit.

On a semi-related note, who was the cool FSU dude that got himself banned by posting the golf ball being putted into a girl's rear end in a top hat? Or something like that.

You guys talk about last season like it was the literal and true worst season in the history of football. As if no team had ever suffered 4-8 and by god you guys bitching about bad offenses is the cutest thing I've ever seen because have you ever in your life watched VT play a game of football where Mike Vick wasn't QB?

You guys had one year of losing football, your first in over three decades, and your faith is so apparently rocked to its core you doubt you'll ever approach 8 wins again.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys had one year of losing football, your first in over three decades, and your faith is so apparently rocked to its core you doubt you'll ever approach 8 wins again.

LeeMajors posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic--there are enough athletes for any offensive production to net 9 to 11 wins.

When you're done overdosing on sweet, sweet hyperbole let me know.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I would actually be shocked if VT didn't return to its historical mediocrity

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This conversation is making me uncomfortable because I'm actually defending Florida fans, although claiming Florida hasn't had a fun offense in a decade IS a bit of an exaggeration.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

go3 posted:

I would actually be shocked if VT didn't return to its historical mediocrity

I'm disappointed my BCS Bowl to poo poo topic didn't take off, now we've got a slap fight between fans of teams that have failed to make a bowl in one season between them since 1993.

e: haven't made/have failed to make is a pretty big distinction

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Last year had some rough spots but god drat what a wild ride it was for a Texas fan. Mack Brown on the hot seat going in, talking big about making a run at the Natty. Utter disaster in game 2, with David Ash going down and the worst run defense in the history of the program. DC fired, replaced with a laughingstock who somehow righted the ship in a remarkably short period of time. A surprise run of success in conference play, Case McCoy funslinging all over Oklahoma, leading the conference in sacks, coming within a half of the conference title. Deloss Dodds retirement reported, officially denied, then officially announced. Mack Brown retirement reported and officially denied. Mack Brown return reported. Mack Brown retirement officially announced. A Greg Robinson defense looking beastly against Oregon. A new AD, a new HC.

This year I think we'll have a little less madness. We'll win some games, we'll lose some games, I'll try not to read too much in to it, and in another year or two we can properly evaluate how Charlie Strong is doing. Or maybe we'll surprise everyone and make a run at the conference title/playoffs. Who the hell even knows.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Bahamas Bowl Or Bust: One Team's Glorious Journey To Being Good Enough For A Bowl But Not Good Enough For Mobile Alabama

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

This conversation is making me uncomfortable because I'm actually defending Florida fans, although claiming Florida hasn't had a fun offense in a decade IS a bit of an exaggeration.

Nah, he said this decade. Starting with 2010 and the John Brantley Experience. Comparable to Hydrogen Sulfide suicide.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

I'm praying for Oklahoma to lose to both Tennessee and us so we can have a magical UT/UT Eiffel tower going on

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bahamas Bowl Or Bust: One Team's Glorious Journey To Being Good Enough For A Bowl But Not Good Enough For Mobile Alabama

Actually it occurs to me that I should probably check C-USA's bowl contracts to see how likely it is for WKU to have a repeat of 8-4 but no bowl game at all.

Though the new coach is Brian Brohm's older brother who doesn't appear to have any particular qualifications that I can see so maybe it won't even come up.

E: When did Wikipedia start calling WKU-MTSU "100 Miles of Hate", I have literally never heard that before

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys talk about last season like it was the literal and true worst season in the history of football. As if no team had ever suffered 4-8 and by god you guys bitching about bad offenses is the cutest thing I've ever seen because have you ever in your life watched VT play a game of football where Mike Vick wasn't QB?

Your team hasn't won less than 7 games since 1992, and the worst season your team has had since you began posting was 7-6.

You melted down over 9 and 10 win seasons but Florida fans are overreacting to a four win season?

Please get off the cross.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Two more loving weeks of non-real football poo poo to talk about, get it all out now, dudes. :protarget:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

Sorry that we're used to a particular brand of football. It's not even that we are clamoring for another title, but having an offense that actually excites fans would be something we haven't seen in this decade.

This is bizarre and absurd coming from a Georgia fan, but- at halftime of the '13 WLOCP, I went outside the bar, took a walk around, and realized it wasn't very much fun slowly slapping around a Florida team for whom moving the ball four yards was a task too hard.

But then the Dawgs got drunk at halftime and proceeded to beat themselves for a good 20 minutes of game time, so things got exciting again. And then Gurley had to be separated from Florida players by state troopers. Good times. Get some TGIII.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 18, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Fluffdaddy posted:

Your team hasn't won less than 7 games since 1992, and the worst season your team has had since you began posting was 7-6.

You melted down over 9 and 10 win seasons but Florida fans are overreacting to a four win season?

Please get off the cross.

Just a tremendous example of not getting the point. Mine was never about win totals, it was about preventing the program from going down the tubes which, shocker, not only came true but continues.

Florida had one bad season out of the blue of which they will undoubtedly recover and move past. VT had a series of bad moves or lack thereof which slowly but surely put them in the position they are today and of which nothing but a head coaching change would fix and as already evidenced a few posts above has people not seeing them able to overcome and regain their former status.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 18, 2014

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Just a tremendous example of not getting the point. Mine was never about win totals, it was about preventing the program from going down the tubes which, shocker, not only came true but continues.

The irony is that our concerns align quite closely with yours, and aren't really tied to wins and losses. Last year was abysmal yes, but I think we are concerned about the direction of the program.

Abysmal offensive coaching, questionable offensive recruiting. One of those offenses we are complaining about won* 11 games.

I think we have legit concerns about what's going to happen. There's lots of uncertainty.

Objectively, though, no UF fan has had anything resembling your meltdown a year or two ago. No one here has been unreasonable. Just whining about lovely football--as we are all prone to do.

*the defense won every single one of those games single-handedly.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

I said this decade to be fair.

Edit: whoops LeeMajors commented for me

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

The irony is that our concerns align quite closely with yours, and aren't really tied to wins and losses. Last year was abysmal yes, but I think we are concerned about the direction of the program.

Abysmal offensive coaching, questionable offensive recruiting. One of those offenses we are complaining about won* 11 games.

I think we have legit concerns about what's going to happen. There's lots of uncertainty.

Objectively, though, no UF fan has had anything resembling your meltdown a year or two ago. No one here has been unreasonable. Just whining about lovely football--as we are all prone to do.

*the defense won every single one of those games single-handedly.

The issue is when I was wanting Beamer to leave(which I've been doing for 5 years now) people thought nothing was wrong because VT won 10 games in a bad conference and a 14 game season. They said "sure the O is lovely but whatever, can't be that bad" and just assumed that 10-4 meant things were peachy keen when anyone with eyes around the program could see that Frank's poor hires and lax attitude had started the Bowden process.

If you ask some people in the fanbase now that aren't afraid to speak the truth lest they not sound like a real fan, they'll say what I started saying years ago which was that Beamer not only hit his glass ceiling but is on the way down. There's no reason why VT can't strive for more success on the field and no reason why the only success has to come under Beamer, it's a ludicrous notion. Equally as ludicrous as acting like what Beamer has become as a coach is anything that any top 60 program would want leading them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Florida had one bad season out of the blue of which they will undoubtedly recover and move past. VT had a series of bad moves or lack thereof which slowly but surely put them in the position they are today and of which nothing but a head coaching change would fix and as already evidenced a few posts above has people not seeing them able to overcome and regain their former status.

My point is your bottom is 90% of the rest of college football's ceiling and its laughable that you think Frank Beamer is making your program worse. It reminds me of the whiny rear end OU fans a few years ago who were crying about Bob Stoops but managed to come back to life after beating Bama last year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Fluffdaddy posted:

its laughable that you think Frank Beamer is making your program worse.

:lol:

You can't actually think the program is trending in a positive direction, you just can't be that blind.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

gently caress the Gators and all, but as an LSU fan I know how dull it can be watching a team win games despite no offensive production to speak of, and it really does make it a lot less enjoyable. Also, it's not like last year was a fluke, they were pretty mediocre in 2010 and 2011 as well. And even in 2012 the offense was still pretty painful to watch most of the time.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

:lol:

You can't actually think the program is trending in a positive direction, you just can't be that blind.

I think its holding steady. You guys were just in a BCS bowl like two years ago.

I also think you are overestimating your ability to find another coach that will take Virginia Tech to anything higher than a 10 win season.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
At least Virginia Tech isn't Virginia, they have that going for them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Its like first world football problems up in here. Meanwhile, the lone Maryland fan weeps in the corner hungry for a Beef O' Brady bowl.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Its like first world football problems up in here. Meanwhile, the lone Maryland fan weeps in the corner hungry for a Beef O' Brady bowl.

In 11 days we can start melting down in gameday threads again. I can't loving wait.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Fluffdaddy posted:

My point is your bottom is 90% of the rest of college football's ceiling

For more than half of FBS that bottom isn't even attainable.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Always good to clear an ankle high bar.

VT has regressed the last few years. It can just be difficult to see because that division is so bad. They were the best team in the conference for a long stretch, but seem to have fallen behind FSU and Clemson (and I don't see them catching up soon). Things aren't terrible, but they are worse and I can understand why CB is upset by it.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think its holding steady. You guys were just in a BCS bowl like two years ago.

I also think you are overestimating your ability to find another coach that will take Virginia Tech to anything higher than a 10 win season.

Hard to say; the last two years were entirely predicated on absurdly lovely coaching hires out of Beamer's circle of unemployed golf buddies. Find me a fanbase that was happy with Mike O'Cain or Curt Newsome. I'd mention our old OC as well, but well he's never worked anywhere else in the college ranks at ANY position, he was hired by VT directly from a tiny high school.

We had a QB coach and RB coach who absolutely refused to contribute in recruiting, an OL coach who has no idea how to coach an OL and spent the year after he was fired by VT poo poo-talking us to the recruits he was initially recruiting. We routinely miss on the vast majority of the top-10 in-state recruits and haven't fielded a competitive offense consistently ever.

However I do think the program's on the up and up, and I have absolutely no doubt that we'll replace Beamer with a competent young coach now that we have an athletic director who's actually planning to improve our athletic department and spend money on coaching hires—see Buzz Williams, we'd have never made a hire that big before Whit came along. Our recruiting's been significantly better the last few years than it has been in ages, we're gonna be playing two true freshmen WRs when all of our returning starters are back. We go from one TE who played a sum total of less than a season of organized football to a legitimate four-deep, and we'll be adjusting to do a lot of 2-3 TE packages because of it. We're actually big and talented across the OL now (though young), and have 3-4 realllllllly good young running backs in addition to more than double the QBs on roster we had before.

In short, this year and next year are the make-or-break seasons before Beamer hangs it up after 2016, and I'm curious to see how he does. Loeffler's the first OC we've had in ages who at all understands play design and Xs and Os, and this is the first time we've had an entire staff pull their weight in recruiting in ages. I feel like we'll see improvement this year and have a chance to make a real splash next year, but hope springs eternal and all. Besides, we're the front-runner for landing the #1 player in the country! Again! ><

P.S. Beamer has done a lot of reallllllly good things for this program, but this program's also done a lot of really good things for him and he hasn't always kept up his end of the bargain. Like every single other person, Beams ain't perfect, and it's absolutely shown over the last 5 years. We have the longest active bowl streak, among the most total wins of the 21st century, it's really hard to bitch. I imagine when Beamer goes we'll have to take a chance on a young up-and-coming coordinator somewhere. The name's I've heard mentioned are Pep Hamilton and Chad Morris so far, the former apparently is our AD's preference, the latter has publicly stated interest in the job.

Sorry for the tl;dr!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dattserberg posted:

:lol: at Tallahassee. I loved my time there but the city is can be kind of a poo poo hole.

Lol kind of

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

Wake Forest after their 2006 Orange Bowl season. I found that out while trying to find a major conference team that actually has recently done worse than KU. Championship be damned, Colorado is definitely a contender. Haven't won a bowl game since 2005, and that's in a conference that isn't Round Robin and has (IMO) some worse teams than the Big XII. Also, KU's final conference win before they beat WVU last year.

This piqued my curiosity. I compiled the records of the Big 5 conference schools for the last five seasons and ranked them by win percentage.

code:
	School		Record
1.	Alabama		60-7
2.	Oregon		57-9
3.	Ohio State	53-12
4.	Stanford	54-13
5.	LSU		53-13
6.	Oklahoma	51-15
7.	Oklahoma State	50-15
8.	Florida State	52-16
9.	South Carolina	49-17
10.	TCU		47-17
11.	Wisconsin	49-18
12.	Michigan State	48-19
13.	Nebraska	48-20
14.	Clemson		47-20
14t.	Virginia Tech	47-20
16.	Auburn		45-21
17.	USC		44-21
18.	Penn State	42-21
19.	Texas		43-22
19t.	Missouri	43-22
19t.	Florida		43-22
22.	Georgia		44-23
23.	Kansas State	42-22
24.	Texas A&M	42-23
25.	Louisville	41-23
26.	Baylor		40-24
27.	West Virginia	39-25
28.	Miami (FL)	38-25
28t.	Utah		38-25
30.	North Carolina	38-26
30t.	Texas Tech	38-26
30t.	Iowa		38-26
30t.	Michigan	38-26
34.	Georgia Tech	39-28
35.	Rutgers		37-27
36	Arkansas	36-27
37.	Pittsburgh	37-28
38.	Northwestern	36-28
38t.	Miss State	36-28
40.	Washington	35-29
40t.	Arizona		35-29
42.	UCLA		36-30
43.	Arizona State	34-30
44.	Syracuse	32-31
44t.	NC State	32-31
44t.	Oregon State	32-31
47.	Ole Miss	30-33
48.	Tennessee	28-34
49.	Boston College	28-35
49t.	Vanderbilt	28-35
51.	Duke		27-36
51t.	Iowa State	27-36
53.	Minnesota	26-37
54.	Maryland	24-38
54t.	California	24-38
56.	Wake Forest	23-38
57.	Illinois	23-39
58.	Purdue		23-39
59.	Kentucky	22-40
60.	Virginia	21-40
61.	Indiana		19-41
62.	Wash State	16-45
62t.	Colorado	16-45
64.	Kansas		14-46
In the past five years, the only schools that have not had a single winning season are: Wake Forest, Indiana, Washington State, Colorado, and Kansas.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 18, 2014

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
As a UK fan, I can totally sympathize with those of you who watched your programs win games despite offensive struggles, have a poor season amidst spectacular seasons or have had to endure decades of bowl games, double-digit win totals and conference contention.

You have my condolences, bros.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Korranus posted:

For more than half of FBS that bottom isn't even attainable.

Just for the hell of it, here's the power conference schools who haven't hit 7 wins in the last 5 years. I stuck with them for a few reasons, most of which should be obvious.

Wake Forest(best mark 6-7)
Kansas(best mark 5-7)
Indiana(best mark 5-7)
Washington State(best mark 6-7)
Colorado(best mark 5-7)

That's it. Those are the Power 5 teams that have struggled to reach VT's bottom.

I don't need to see VT in a bowl every year(although yes, missing one would undoubtedly suck) but if things go in the toilet or if they appear to be heading that way I want a coach that will take responsibility and fix the problems in a timely fashion. Frank was honest to god no different than a message board user. He figuratively hid behind the 10 win total each year to explain Stinespring and the offense until the stink of it all finally caught up to him and he couldn't hold his breath and ignore it anymore and it currently remains to be seen if the hires he made since will work out. When you do stuff like that and when your hires continue to be poor or questionable then you cease to really work as a head coach and should know when to leave well enough alone.

e: haha Thoguh

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

This piqued my curiosity. I compiled the records of the Big 5 conference schools for the last five seasons and ranked them by win percentage.

Last 5 years have sucked :(

Also, TCU is getting quite the benefit of 3 years in the MWC in that list. They are 11-14 since joining. 36-3 from the MWC.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
CU Boulder is too busy being an awesome beautiful place at the foot of a mountain with all of the weed you could possibly smoke to be concerned with winning football games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scarf posted:

CU Boulder is too busy being an awesome beautiful place at the foot of a mountain with all of the weed you could possibly smoke to be concerned with winning football games.

I am continually amazed at how they manage to lose home games despite the fact that opposing teams can't breathe. And yes, Boulder is quite possibly my favorite place in America.

• Locked thread