Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here you go!

http://www.kfiam640.com/media/podcast-bill-handel-on-demand-BillHandel/violence-erupts-in-missouri-8a-0818-25175985/

Starts at 14:30, he says once a police officer pulls out a gun, it's policy that he has to unload it. The guy is Bill Handel, who I've never heard of and I doubt anyone else has either.

The "police policy" trope really pisses me off, and I think we should try to call people out on using it. It doesn't matter in the least what police policy is; it matters what the law is. Otherwise we don't live in a democracy if the rules governing when our government can kill its citizens are decided by unelected technocrats rather than the legislature. Anyone arguing for the relevancy of police policy at mitigating responsibility should be reminded that it is just a variation of the just-following-orders defense that we so roundly rejected at Nuremberg.

fake edit: and no, I'm not trying to compare the cops to Nazis. It's just a stupid argument people (including some Nazis and man non-Nazis) make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Elotana posted:

LEO now leaking (or making poo poo up about) Brown's sealed juvenile record through conservative Twitter, because reasons

Charles C. Johnson ?@ChuckCJohnson · 30m
News tip from law enforcement source: #MichaelBrown Brown was charged with 2nd degree murder as a juvenile. Confirming now... #Ferguson

Lol what.

They're asking me to believe that a black child was charged with murder and didn't go to jail as an adult? And that he was still able to go to college and his life wasn't ruined? That there aren't any articles about it?

They joke.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

LEO now leaking (or making poo poo up about) Brown's sealed juvenile record through conservative Twitter, because reasons

News tip from law enforcement source: #MichaelBrown Brown was charged with 2nd degree murder as a juvenile. Confirming now... #Ferguson

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, that's some next level smear campaign poo poo going on over there now.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, that's some next level smear campaign poo poo going on over there now.

St. Louis county cops scared as gently caress right now

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A

Is that George Zimmerman's lawyer at 4:23?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Reporters now claiming that Michael Brown also supports Palestine, that scum. Kill him now!!

Oh wait, he's already dead.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Willing to bet that it's a completely different Mike Brown.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Elotana posted:

HAHahahahha that's this shitstain.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/charles-johnson-lawsuit-sam-hall-mississippi

Probably safe to dismiss this poo poo for now.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

KernelSlanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A

Is that George Zimmerman's lawyer at 4:23?

Yeah he's a CNN pundit now.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Magres posted:

I'm kinda surprised no enterprising criminals have ever tried doing fake no-knocks to steal poo poo in plain sight.

I know of 2 people who were robbed by fake cops knocking on the door. One had fake warrant.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Stream with St Louis County Police scanner:

http://m.ustream.tv/channel/st-louis-county-police-scanner

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

bassguitarhero posted:

St. Louis county cops scared as gently caress right now

Also, isn't leaking someone's juvenile records like one of those things that like as bad as being caught destroying evidence? Something that will basically piss a judge off and make them never give you the benefit of doubt during trial?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah but then we're just blaming the victim, as in the double standard means black children are more likely to get tear gassed to it's irresponsible to bring them to a majority-black protest. White people are afforded higher protections.

Plenty of black people have challenged the participation of children in the Civil Rights movement precisely because white supremacist violence is real. This isn't a hypothetical situation. It's one thing to theorize that leaving your children behind is self-victimization; it's another to know for a fact that you risk danger via participation. Many African Americans chose not to participate in demonstrations throughout the past hundred years of activism for fear of violence. That's an incredibly difficult dilemma, and one that intensifies when you're talking about children who may have limited agency. I understand your argument, but it's too idealized.

And I'll concede from here on. No need to derail further.

edit:

vvv oh, for sure. The original racist dude's comments are much more prevalent in these discussions but I just didn't want to dismiss the broader idea entirely. It's an incredibly tough subject that can border on the other extreme of victim-blaming, where the assumption is that all black people (and their children, in this scenario) need to be heroically involved in every protest against racism.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 18, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Naet posted:

Plenty of black people have challenged the participation of children in the Civil Rights movement precisely because white supremacist violence is real. This isn't a hypothetical situation. It's one thing to theorize that leaving your children behind is self-victimization; it's another to know for a fact that you risk danger via participation. Many African Americans chose not to participate in demonstrations throughout the past hundred years of activism for fear of violence. That's an incredibly difficult dilemma, and one that intensifies when you're talking about children who may have limited agency. I understand your argument, but it's too idealized.

And I'll concede from here on. No need to derail further.

Oh I agree with you, I'm just saying that when people say "why would you bring a child to this" what they're saying is "why would you bring a (black) child to this (place where we specifically do violence against black people)"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In retrospect, you end up looking like a crazy conspiracy theorist when you go "Don't trust the media! It's all lies!"

The only problem is that's absolutely true. The media narrative is a whole bunch of outright lies and distortions of the truth.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

In retrospect, you end up looking like a crazy conspiracy theorist when you go "Don't trust the media! It's all lies!"

The only problem is that's absolutely true. The media narrative is a whole bunch of outright lies and distortions of the truth.

The only sources you can trust are the Twitch streams it seems, and those are disjointed and chaotic too. It's a clusterfuck all the way up and down, and people on the fence demand evidence and proven facts that don't exist, and may never exist.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

chitoryu12 posted:

And character assassination.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Crain posted:

And character assassination.

Technically the cops are the ones doing the assassination. :v:

The media is guilty of never checking things before it airs if it's from the police out of fear of being behind the other guy and loosing viewers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The only sources you can trust are the Twitch streams it seems, and those are disjointed and chaotic too. It's a clusterfuck all the way up and down, and people on the fence demand evidence and proven facts that don't exist, and may never exist.

The streams end up being the best resource because it's the next best thing to actually being in Ferguson getting tear gassed yourself. You can literally see the stuff as it happens and when the media reports on it you start going "No, that's bullshit. I saw that exact incident and that never happened."

Like, remember the police press conference last night that the girls filmed? Every one of us started calling bullshit because so many of us saw what happened (almost) with our own eyes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Another link to the Obama livestream if anyone needs it.

He's late again, as usual. He might be waiting until 4:20 in honor of the Choom Gang :350:

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Elotana posted:

It isn't even hard to disprove this poo poo. Why?

I mean, I know why, just...goddamn. :suicide:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have issues with labeling "the media" as a single entity, but I do want to point out something pretty weird about CNN's web coverage:

Here's their front page headline and teaser:

quote:

Attorney: Autopsy results enough to charge officer
Private autopsy results revealed
The autopsy conducted for Michael Brown's family found no evidence that he struggled with a police officer before his death. FULL STORY

Here's the headline when you open the story:

quote:

Michael Brown rushed officer, radio caller says

The first several paragraphs:

quote:

Ferguson, Missouri (CNN) -- The Ferguson, Missouri, police officer who killed Michael Brown says the teenager rushed at him full speed in the moments before the shooting, according to an account phoned into a St. Louis radio station and confirmed as accurate by a source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

According to the account on KTFK, phoned in by a woman who identified herself as "Josie," the altercation began after Officer Darren Wilson rolled down his window to tell Brown and a friend to stop walking in the street.

When Wilson tried to get out of his cruiser, Brown first tried to push the officer back into the car, then punched him in the face and grabbed for his gun before breaking free after the gun went off once, the caller said.

Wilson pursued Brown and his friend, ordering them to freeze, according to the account. When they turned around, Brown began taunting Wilson, saying he would not arrest them, then ran at the officer at full speed, the caller said.

Wilson then began shooting. The final shot was to Brown's forehead, and the teenager fell two or three feet in front of Wilson, the caller said.

A source with detailed knowledge of the investigation later told CNN the caller's account is "accurate," in that it matches what Wilson has told investigators.

If true, the account represents the first telling of events from the perspective of Wilson, whose shooting of Brown has touched off nightly protests and violence in the suburban St. Louis city.

But then here's the rest of the first section.

quote:

Earlier Monday, an autopsy conducted for the family of Brown found no evidence that he struggled with Wilson before his death, according to the pathologist in charge of the examination.

Dr. Michael Baden said no signs of a struggle were revealed in his autopsy of Brown's body, conducted after an official examination by the St. Louis County medical examiner's office.

And forensics consultant Shawn Parcells, who assisted Baden, said the findings are consistent with witness reports that Brown may have been shot as he walked away and that he was shot again with his hands up.

Brown family attorney Daryl Parks said he was particularly concerned about gunshots that medical examiners hired by the family indicate came from behind and above.

"Why would he be shot in the very top of his head, a 6-foot-4 man?" Parks asked. "Makes no sense."

The autopsy results are the latest development in the investigation into Brown's death, which has resulted in nightly, sometimes violent, protests in Ferguson that have prompted Missouri's governor to declare a curfew and send in the state National Guard.

"Given these deliberate, coordinated and intensifying violent attacks on lives and property in Ferguson, I am directing the highly capable men and women of the Missouri National Guard ... in restoring peace and order to this community," Gov. Jay Nixon said in a statement.

The protests have also gained international attention. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement Monday on the events in Ferguson, saying that he "hopes local and federal investigations will shed full light on the killing" of Brown. Ban called on authorities to ensure that people are able to assemble peacefully and urged law enforcement to abide by U.S. and "international standards in dealing with demonstrations."

Gunfire, tear gas and Molotov cocktails Sunday night marked some of the fiercest clashes yet between police and protesters furious about the death of the unarmed teenager.

The family autopsy found that Brown was shot at least six times, including two shots to his head. Three of the bullets may have re-entered his body, causing additional damage, Baden said.

One wound to his arm was consistent with a witness statement that Brown was walking away and appeared to jerk, as if shot, Parcells said. The wounds to his arm could have also have occurred while he had his hands up, possibly in a defensive posture, Parcells said.
One of the bullets entered his head and came out through his eye; another -- likely the fatal wound, Baden said -- struck Brown on the top of his head and caused irreparable damage to his brain.

Family attorney Benjamin Crump said Brown probably would have been either kneeling or bending forward when he was struck with those bullets.

Brown had abrasions on his face consistent with falling onto the ground, Baden said.

Witness: 'I knew this was not right' New image of officer Darren Wilson Captain: 'This is my neighborhood'

He cautioned that he needs access to autopsy results, including tests on Brown's clothes and X-rays, before making some conclusions.
But Crump said what it already revealed offered more than "ample" evidence to support Wilson's arrest.

"What does this autopsy say? That the witness accounts were true, that he was shot multiple times," Crump told reporters.

It seems like they wrote one story (which was fairly balanced, although I don't like their section on the protesters, and it at least acknowledges various attempts to control the narrative) and then another writer came in and added the first few paragraphs and changed the headline. They must have multiple people updating it without a lot of coordination. Not a shock from CNN, who are often not the most with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Magres posted:

I'm kinda surprised no enterprising criminals have ever tried doing fake no-knocks to steal poo poo in plain sight.

This is actually a pretty common way to steal drugs. Even the Wire did it, but I've seen it happen in the real world. Oh, and they also often kill people, even when compliant.

---

I will say, that as a 6'4" tall man, if I am charging you head down, you still need to be like 6'6" to make hitting the top of my head make any sense.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 18, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's actually really common for stories to be written like that. They know that most people won't read the whole thing (especially an article as long as that one), so whatever narrative they want to push gets put at the very top and may even be written as if it's fact (as you see there, with them only putting "the caller said" at the end of each statement). Then it's not until toward the end of the article that contradictory statements that reveal the bullshit get posted.

I saw this today with an article on AOL News. It was a typical hysterical "NEW DRUG ON THE STREETS RISING IN POPULARITY!" fear mongering, talking about a new drug called "wax" that's 15-20 times stronger than marijuana and causes psychosis and brain damage. It's not until the very last lines of the article that they admit that they're just talking about hash oil under a new slang term and the supposed psychosis and brain damage aren't actually supported by any medical studies and is just some bullshit being repeated by a cop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually really common for stories to be written like that. They know that most people won't read the whole thing (especially an article as long as that one), so whatever narrative they want to push gets put at the very top and may even be written as if it's fact (as you see there, with them only putting "the caller said" at the end of each statement). Then it's not until toward the end of the article that contradictory statements that reveal the bullshit get posted.
What's weird about it to me is the changing headlines. It reads like somebody wrote a balanced story, and then someone else (editorial mandate? hard to say) went in and changed the headline and added several paragraphs to change the narrative. It makes me wonder if CNN's left hand knows what its right is doing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

What is Obamas talking point for the day? We murdered some folks?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/Truthbuster/status/501454355460259840 RT @thom_wong: Have to write this again: #MikeBrown was shot TWICE as many x as ALL firearms discharged by British Police last yr #Ferguson

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Russia, China, and Iran are taking up the opportunity to troll the US.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-ferguson-michael-brown-shooting-world-reaction-20140818-story.html#page=1

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Good. This is bullshit. I can't believe just how predictably this is mirroring the Treyvon Martin shooting. This, along with the regular school shootings, is America's legacy right now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The hell is the Sri Lanka paper doing talking about gun violence? The only gun violence that's been going on in Ferguson has been from the cops.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

bassguitarhero posted:

I called my mum yesterday, who lives in England, who immediately freaked the entire gently caress out that I was in Ferguson to begin with and was sure that Mike Brown was a "bully" because the only thing she'd seen was the security camera footage. She was livid I would be working on a documentary about his death when he was clearly such a bad guy. That's the effect the media has on a white woman who has a black son.

Life is strange.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nm posted:

This is actually a pretty common way to steal drugs. Even the Wire did it, but I've seen it happen in the real world. Oh, and they also often kill people, even when compliant.

---

I will say, that as a 6'4" tall man, if I am charging you head down, you still need to be like 6'6" to make hitting the top of my head make any sense.

Whichever version of events happened, that last shot probably hit him as he was falling down from the previous shots.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Two minutes until Obama speaks.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

A Putin "Hands up, don't shoot!" pose would be gold.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Obama speaking: http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

(On IS so far.)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm going to mute this entire speech

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

greatn posted:

Whichever version of events happened, that last shot probably hit him as he was falling down from the previous shots.

Probably. And this detail BY ITSELF isn't necessarily damning.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw this today with an article on AOL News. It was a typical hysterical "NEW DRUG ON THE STREETS RISING IN POPULARITY!" fear mongering, talking about a new drug called "wax" that's 15-20 times stronger than marijuana and causes psychosis and brain damage. It's not until the very last lines of the article that they admit that they're just talking about hash oil under a new slang term and the supposed psychosis and brain damage aren't actually supported by any medical studies and is just some bullshit being repeated by a cop.

They actually called wax "disguised as a household item", as if it's disguised as anything (it's not, and legally must be sold in child-resistant packaging anyways), and as if paraffin wax is a common household item in TYOOL 2014.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Obama without a tie on seems weird.

e: Lotta Iraq news so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

zen death robot posted:

Check out the twitter feeds of the three people that have writer credits on that and tell me who sees like the shittiest writer desperate for some hits:

https://twitter.com/HollyYanCNN

https://twitter.com/SKastenbaum

https://twitter.com/mwpearson

From the looks of that it seems like Pearson's dream job is Buzzfeed.

• Locked thread