Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

corpuscollossus posted:

Should've farmed Cathorla off to an eastern european side and got him back. He's a bargain at twice that price.

Wegner thought "Well I already have Ramsey and Ozil no need for Fabregas"

What a loving mistake..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Got Sanchez instead! *hoists up shorts*

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NNick posted:

Wegner thought "Well I already have Ramsey and Ozil no need for Fabregas"

What a loving mistake..

Remember posters saying he shouldn't buy Fabregas because we already had Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Flamini, and Arteta for three midfield spots. No way could Fabregas break into that midfield. Only Ramsey on form would keep him out, smdh

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

RVProfootballer posted:

Remember posters saying he shouldn't buy Fabregas because we already had Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Flamini, and Arteta for three midfield spots. No way could Fabregas break into that midfield. Only Ramsey on form would keep him out, smdh

Eh it's more that buying cesc would have required playing Ozil or Ramsey out of position, and would be a weird place to spend a bunch of money. If no one else comes in though, then yeah not buying Fabregas will turn out to be a pretty fake and gay decision.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Not that you're wrong but it's been one loving game, you guys do know he's been playing for Barcelona for the past few years right? They're pretty good too

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cesc "Epogen" Fabregas

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
People laughed when i put schurrle in the fully sick xi but he has only gone and won the world cup since. What a loving player.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Where can I watch video highlights of matches? Not on the official PL premier league site, not on NBC sports.

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

Eh it's more that buying cesc would have required playing Ozil or Ramsey out of position, and would be a weird place to spend a bunch of money. If no one else comes in though, then yeah not buying Fabregas will turn out to be a pretty fake and gay decision.

First sentence is correct, the squad is not crying out for a Fabregas type of player anymore, not when Ramsey and Ozil are there. The second sentence is not correct unless you think Fabregas is a feasible option for the more defensive minded midfield role, in which case lol. If there's anyone from that Chelsea midfield I could magically sign for Arsenal its Matic, not Fabregas.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Tetrix posted:

Where can I watch video highlights of matches? Not on the official PL premier league site, not on NBC sports.

This usually has just the goals: http://www.goalsarena.org/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Steve Evets posted:

First sentence is correct, the squad is not crying out for a Fabregas type of player anymore, not when Ramsey and Ozil are there. The second sentence is not correct unless you think Fabregas is a feasible option for the more defensive minded midfield role, in which case lol. If there's anyone from that Chelsea midfield I could magically sign for Arsenal its Matic, not Fabregas.

Neither Ramsey nor Özil will play every game, even assuming neither gets injured. Fabregas is an Özil-type buy; he was available, not absurdly overpriced, and would have improved the starting squad and depth massively. It's all fantasy because I guess he went to Chelsea to win trophies and Arsenal probably had as good a chance of signing him as United, but it would have been sick as hell to have him back.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
wenger didn't sign Fabregas because it would have hindered jack wilshere's progress and that owns

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
arteta and rosicky will be well out of it within a year tbh and could easily have been shipped out for a few pounds to make space. he's a retard

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Steve Evets posted:

Lol you people are so delusional it owns

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

lmaoboy1998 posted:

wenger didn't sign Fabregas because it would have hindered jack wilshere's progress and that owns

What progress? He's been poo poo every time I've seen him for the last 2 years.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Haggis Heed posted:

What progress? He's been poo poo every time I've seen him for the last 2 years.

And that owns.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

lmaoboy1998 posted:

arteta and rosicky will be well out of it within a year tbh and could easily have been shipped out for a few pounds to make space. he's a retard

This!!!!!!!!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anti-Rosicky posters are the worst.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

He's still decent but he's 33 ffs. Arteta is way past it though. Anyway, I don't think placating either of them was the reason Wenger decided not to bring Cesc back.

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol you people are so delusional it owns

Agreed, thinking that a midfield trio of Fabregas Ramsey and Ozil will work or that Wenger would actually leave one of them on the bench is deluded.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wengy posted:

He's still decent but he's 33 ffs. Arteta is way past it though. Anyway, I don't think placating either of them was the reason Wenger decided not to bring Cesc back.

Any reasonable rumors about his wages? I'd guess Wenger was priced out, even if he'd tried to get him back.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Steve Evets posted:

Agreed, thinking that a midfield trio of Fabregas Ramsey and Ozil will work or that Wenger would actually leave one of them on the bench is deluded.

It would work and it would be the sickest midfield in world football. But even if it didn't Fabregas has played in the Arteta role before and done reasonably well. and one of Ozil and Ramsey will likely be tired injured at any one time so it's not like he'd never get games there either. in addition to all this, NOT getting him gives a rival a huge bargain for a sort of player they didn't have. overall the man's a big time dipshit

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Any reasonable rumors about his wages? I'd guess Wenger was priced out, even if he'd tried to get him back.

Guess you don't know that Wenger outright turned him down.

lmaoboy1998 posted:

It would work and it would be the sickest midfield in world football. But even if it didn't Fabregas has played in the Arteta role before and done reasonably well. and one of Ozil and Ramsey will likely be tired injured at any one time so it's not like he'd never get games there either. in addition to all this, NOT getting him gives a rival a huge bargain for a sort of player they didn't have. overall the man's a big time dipshit

Every half decent team in the league would be rubbing their hands together at the prospects of facing a midfield with absolutely 0 defensive ability. And it would make sitting deep with 10 men behind the ball and watching Arsenal pass themselves to death and counter the easiest thing ever. I'm deluded yet people suggesting that one of Ozil Ramsey or Fabregas should restrict their play by sitting deep and being responsible for tough tackling in midfield while at the same time employing peak tiki taka is sound reasoning.

Steve Evets fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 19, 2014

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Yeah, all of this basically. Fabregas wasn't a necessity but he would have done us wonders.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

He probably thought Cesc was going to hinder Wilshere's development lol

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Steve Evets posted:

Every half decent team in the league would be rubbing their hands together at the prospects of facing a midfield with absolutely 0 defensive ability. And it would make sitting deep with 10 men behind the ball and watching Arsenal pass themselves to death and counter the easiest thing ever. I'm deluded yet people suggesting that one of Ozil Ramsey or Fabregas should restrict their play by sitting deep and being responsible for tough tackling in midfield while at the same time employing peak tiki taka is sound reasoning.

The thing is Chelsea played him in that 'restricted' role yesterday and he still got a tasty assist. The man owns.

I'll make this even simpler: Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky and Arteta played over 100 games between them for Arsenal last year and Cesc Fabregas is better in their position than every single one of them.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Most of those players picked up a lot of games on the wing, where Cesc isn't really very good. And you soundly really want cesc to play instead of Arteta.

Anyway, what would have happened if Cesc had signed is that Cesc would take Ramsey's spot and Ramsey would get played out left. It would have been cool and good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Steve Evets posted:

Dementia is setting in, poor Wengy :(

Most of those players picked up a lot of games on the wing, where Cesc isn't really very good. And you soundly really want cesc to play instead of Arteta.

Anyway, what would have happened if Cesc had signed is that Cesc would take Ramsey's spot and Ramsey would get played out left. It would have been cool and good.

Ramsey wouldn't have gone anywhere. I'm also not convinced Fabregas would be much worse than Arteta in the holding role, though I agree he obviously isn't the ideal defensive midfielder (Wenger will never sign the ideal defensive midfielder). In any case, I'm sure City fans aren't too sad that Toure, Fernando, and Fernandinho can't all play at the same time. Then when one of them gets injured or loses form, they can have a nearly full strength midfield, rather than signing loving Kim Källström in January as cover.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
there is no dimension on which '33 year old Everton legend' mikel arteta is better than Cesc Fabregas

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

lmaoboy1998 posted:

there is no dimension on which '33 year old Everton legend' mikel arteta is better than Cesc Fabregas

Actually his eyebrow game is several tiers higher

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
he is also less of a oval office

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

lmaoboy1998 posted:

The thing is Chelsea played him in that 'restricted' role yesterday and he still got a tasty assist. The man owns.

I'll make this even simpler: Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky and Arteta played over 100 games between them for Arsenal last year and Cesc Fabregas is better in their position than every single one of them.

Matic was the 'restricted' player, not Cesc. One of Matic or Ramires, or even both of them will support Fabregas and allow him to play.

Cazorla played mostly in the wide areas. Yes Fabregas is better than Cazorla out wide, but Sanchez is better than both of them out wide. Fabregas has never been played in a position where he has to put in more than token defensive work in midfield, and I don't see how people would expect him to suddenly be able to absorb the defensive midfield burden. Arteta isn't the greatest, but the fact that he is a more limited player than Fabregas makes him more suited to a more limited role. In other words it would be criminal to tell Fabregas to sit there and play in a restricted area and play 5 yard passes with whoever is nearest, and then be responsible for breaking up the oppositions play, which he isn't good at doing in the first place. Only Wilshere and Rosicky play in Fabregas' natural position, and while Fabregas is better than both and would have improved the depth in that area, it would have also meant that you would have had a situation with Ozil Fabregas and Ramsey, all 3 of whom are too good to drop but only two of them can be fit into the core of the side effectively. It would have taken half the season to figure out which combo works best and Wenger probably thought it better to just get what we actually needed around what we already had than to keep tinkering.

Bottom line, bringing Fabregas back either means playing a daft, unbalanced team, or regularly benching one of Ozil, Fabregas or Ramsey. It wasn't a no brainer to bring him back and the fact that Fabregas looks good on a football pitch doesn't mean it was a bad decision.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
"Arsenal should buy Fabregas and play him as a holding midfielder"

A literal thing that was said on these forums. Holy poo poo.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Fabregas is also a better striker than Olivier Giroud. Play him up top imo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I loving hate this forum.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Hmm, this team just doesn't have space for Cesc Fabregas"

A literal thing said by Arsenal fans on this forum. Holy poo poo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

"Arsenal should buy Fabregas and play him as a holding midfielder"

A literal thing that was said on these forums. Holy poo poo.

Arteta is not some defensive maestro!

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Who's Cesc Fabregas?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

peanut- posted:

"Hmm, this team just doesn't have space for Cesc Fabregas"

A literal thing said by Arsenal fans on this forum. Holy poo poo.

It's pretty clear I wasn't against buying Fabregas. It's just that the opinions coming out of here are bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Close this thread, the matches are over.

• Locked thread