Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shwqa posted:

Nah whatever company owns the TCG is just going to buy Nintendo with all the money they are going to make. Then someone who isn't scared of decades old technology can run Nintendo.

Nintendo's been making money hand over fist in mobile gaming for the last ~30 years. They aren't in any rush to risk canabalizing the 3DS or start giving Apple 30% of their profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah well the past year they've been losing money hand over fist.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
It's estimated they have enough money to operate for 25 years on a loss.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It's estimated they have enough money to operate for 25 years on a loss.

Nintendo's a public company with shareholders. "We have enough liquid cash to operate on a loss for decades" is the worst thing they could possibly say as a defense.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Nintendo's a public company with shareholders. "We have enough liquid cash to operate on a loss for decades" is the worst thing they could possibly say as a defense.

Seriously. This may be a true fact but it is also the most idiotic stance for a business.

gently caress doing anything successful, let's just slowly live off our fat til we're poor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please don't turn this into the armchair Nintendo analyst thread. Games already has one.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Pako Car Chase Simulator is really fun and only $.99

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please don't turn this into the armchair Nintendo analyst thread. Games already has one.

Apologies. :)

For content: the dev for Motorsport Manager confirmed on the tweeter that his app passed review and he's just arranging some reviews before it gets released. Hoping that means next week. He did assure me if it passed review it would be out before Aug was done.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sad lions posted:

Really loving slick (presentation wise at least).
The production value went through the roof.
I've only tried the free starting case but so far it looks to be very much in the spirit of the older games.

I'm hoping that the success they've been having will convince them to release the Miles Edgeworth games on iOS. I really enjoyed the first one.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Quick New Star Soccer kvetches, on my second career:

* Whatever algorithm assigns the postgame ratings is an rear end. The fans don't care whether your teammates won't move an inch to collect your header, if they line up for your centering pass one millimeter from a defender obviously blocking their route to the goal, or if it gives you nothing but sharp-angle header shots with a defender already on top of you and no teammates in sight; if your teammates give up soft goals and you tie or lose, you take the blame from one or more groups.

* The ads... good lord. This is the single most annoying bit of nagware I've ever seen. Granted, it's only a buck to remove that, but if you don't you can look forward to can't-skip videos for the same games over and over and over again, sometimes several times in a row between consecutive games.

* Is there any upside to a girlfriend in this game? It's one more attention source to feed and she'll get you in trouble at intervals.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

delfin posted:

Quick New Star Soccer kvetches, on my second career:

* Whatever algorithm assigns the postgame ratings is an rear end. The fans don't care whether your teammates won't move an inch to collect your header, if they line up for your centering pass one millimeter from a defender obviously blocking their route to the goal, or if it gives you nothing but sharp-angle header shots with a defender already on top of you and no teammates in sight; if your teammates give up soft goals and you tie or lose, you take the blame from one or more groups.

* The ads... good lord. This is the single most annoying bit of nagware I've ever seen. Granted, it's only a buck to remove that, but if you don't you can look forward to can't-skip videos for the same games over and over and over again, sometimes several times in a row between consecutive games.

* Is there any upside to a girlfriend in this game? It's one more attention source to feed and she'll get you in trouble at intervals.
Yeah, I removed ads the second I realized the base game was worth playing.

And yup, the game doesn't give two shits about whether you were dealt a hard or easy hand. That's pretty realistic for real life fans and pundits too, to be honest.

Girlfriend, nope, not really. It will bring your happiness up, but I have no idea if that impacts anything. Basically you want to avoid girls until you're already the best player in the world, otherwise she will stunt your development.

New Star Soccer = Most realistic soccer/life simulator

In other news I tried a no-IAP career to see what the huff was about. Only one season in, but the progress is pretty similar to the IAP agent/trainer/boots careers I've done. Skills are 50% maxed after one season (except Free Kicks), which means skill decay would have to go absolutely nuts to become a problem. The biggest difference is that without the IAP Trainer, you have to play games at Low effort (1 heart) instead of Medium, which gives fewer chances and punishes you harder for making mistakes. If I was to recommend one IAP to invest in, it would be the trainer. Another 25% energy after every match is absolutely huge. It's silly cheap anyway for the amount of entertainment this game offers, so I'd still get trainer/agent/boots.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 17, 2014

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

obi_ant posted:

Apparently there are a bunch of games by Cartoon Network... Any of them good?

The PowerPuff Girls game is pretty good. It's a metroidvania that's developed by Radiangames. The only issue is that there are some minimally intrusive ads in what is a pay app, but it actually warns you about it on the app description.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ihatepants posted:

The PowerPuff Girls game is pretty good. It's a metroidvania that's developed by Radiangames. The only issue is that there are some minimally intrusive ads in what is a pay app, but it actually warns you about it on the app description.

Definitely thought it was made by Randian games. Now I want an objectivism simulator. I mean more so than Democracy 3 already is. :v:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

tuyop posted:

Definitely thought it was made by Randian games. Now I want an objectivism simulator. I mean more so than Democracy 3 already is. :v:

Didn't Bioshock just come out for iPad? :haw:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Godus. Ugh. Left on a trip to a place where I don't have a solid internet connection and decided to download a game before I left. Chose this one without reading up on it and it turns out it requires to be constantly connected.

Is there an actual reason for this (the ~~Clooooouud~~), or is it just some DRM fuckery?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Godus. Ugh. Left on a trip to a place where I don't have a solid internet connection and decided to download a game before I left. Chose this one without reading up on it and it turns out it requires to be constantly connected.

Is there an actual reason for this (the ~~Clooooouud~~), or is it just some DRM fuckery?

Read the past few pages or so - it's a FarmVille timer kind of game.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
Looked back several pages and didn't see anything like this: are there any recent RPGs outside of the major franchise ports (FF, Dragon Quest, etc.) worth playing? I'm super out of the loop on this stuff.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Battleheart: Legacy was pretty fun, though it's an Action RPG, not turn-based.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Continuing the CYOA chat I have to recommed This is not a test for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/this-is-not-test-survival/id681453732?mt=8

I'll elaborate later when not phone posting, but suffice to say I like the replay value (I think there are random events and it rewards exploration), the presentation, the post apoc setting and the price $1.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Klungar posted:

Battleheart: Legacy was pretty fun, though it's an Action RPG, not turn-based.

I can't beat this game... I have like 3 different class players at the final boss and its just .. can't be done

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dvlos posted:

I can't beat this game... I have like 3 different class players at the final boss and its just .. can't be done

Stack buffs and hit him with a permanent poison. Make sure you can kill the minions and then stay the gently caress away from his blue circle of instant death.

Edit: I'm away from my iPad but from memory I used. Enrage, song of valor, the paladin buff, blood magic, with creeping poison. My passives were 10% extra dot, 10% more damage to undead, 50% extra magical critical damage, 5% life steal, 10% faster cool down. And I had extra critical damage mage robes, and 2 50% extra critical damage accessories. I used cyclone to handle the minions.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 18, 2014

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm level 10 in B:L and I can't find a single thing to do other than grind out lower level goblins and it's super depressing.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I'm level 10 in B:L and I can't find a single thing to do other than grind out lower level goblins and it's super depressing.

Yeah level 8-15 are definitely the worst part of the game. Make sure to pick up +exp and life steal accessorys. They help out a bunch. Don't ignore buffs, they are extremely useful even without using DOT. Also if you are going rogue, use stealth to rush to the end high level dungeon and get high level items early.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Shwqa posted:

Yeah level 8-15 are definitely the worst part of the game. Make sure to pick up +exp and life steal accessorys. They help out a bunch. Don't ignore buffs, they are extremely useful even without using DOT. Also if you are going rogue, use stealth to rush to the end high level dungeon and get high level items early.

I am a Rogue, which dungeon?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I might be doing a game day thing for the after school program I work at. My new boss wants to find some more uses for the school's iPads. Now I need to find some iOS games that would be good for 2-6th graders. Something that has network play or could be played on a single iPad.

No Minecraft though. That didn't end well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I might be doing a game day thing for the after school program I work at. My new boss wants to find some more uses for the school's iPads. Now I need to find some iOS games that would be good for 2-6th graders. Something that has network play or could be played on a single iPad.

Spaceteam? Please tell me what happened with minecraft.

Spaceteam may be too advanced for that age group as far as reading level goes. I'd say like 30% of the 7-9 graders I've tried to get to play it find "omnichronometer" and similar words totally unpronounceable in the heat of the moment. Though they do fine with symbol mode, ironically. It would be great if it works because you could have space team competitions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is Kairobotica any good? It's been mentioned a few times in thread but no real conclusions made.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Is Kairobotica any good? It's been mentioned a few times in thread but no real conclusions made.

It's kind of tedious actually. The combat is really slow compared to Dungeon Story, Epic Astro Story or Ninja Village. Kairobotica is in the same sort of vein but those three just did it way better.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Spaceteam? Please tell me what happened with minecraft.

Spaceteam may be too advanced for that age group as far as reading level goes. I'd say like 30% of the 7-9 graders I've tried to get to play it find "omnichronometer" and similar words totally unpronounceable in the heat of the moment. Though they do fine with symbol mode, ironically. It would be great if it works because you could have space team competitions.

They kept burning down each other's poo poo. The kids complained to their parents, the parents complained to the school thinking they would do something about it and...yeah...

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

They kept burning down each other's poo poo. The kids complained to their parents, the parents complained to the school thinking they would do something about it and...yeah...

:allears: Ah. The true nature of man revealed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

Hahaha the parents thought the school would stop kids from griefing each other in minecraft? And they called the school to say this? Parents are the loving best.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lord of the Flies, now in block form!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What about Hearthstone?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

It's kind of tedious actually. The combat is really slow compared to Dungeon Story, Epic Astro Story or Ninja Village. Kairobotica is in the same sort of vein but those three just did it way better.

Thank you for this, saved me some money.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BigRed0427 posted:

Carcassonne, Lost Cities, Ascension/Sol Forge/Hearthstone maybe(I'd prefer Ascension as there's no pregame deck building), other card/board games on iOS, etc. My brother worked on Pox, which is simple but is actually trying to indirectly show why vaccination is important; might be neat or not neat depending on what your school/kids' parents are like.

For games that are more about interaction and less screen-time-ish, there's Heads Up, Fingle, Bounden, and probably some others.

There's also Ready Steady Bang and King of Opera for same screen multiplayer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't think 2nd graders can handle any of that kind of stuff. Your best bet is going into the kids section on the App store and browsing some of that stuff.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

For kids 7 and above I would recommend

Plants versus zombies 2- its free and kids get bored easy.
Tiny thief - it is a clever and cute adventure game
Ticket to ride - board games are always fun
Space team- team building and encourage sounding out words. Plus it is free.

Above all just don't get anything too grindy. You want them doing stuff not just playing some lovely free to play game that just has them pressing a button and sitting back (which is the games I like :suicide:)

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 19, 2014

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I guess there is a prequel to A Dark Room out called "The Ensign". I bought it and haven't made it past about 5mins

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anything by Toca Boca. That poo poo is like crack for littlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think 2nd graders can handle any of that kind of stuff. Your best bet is going into the kids section on the App store and browsing some of that stuff.

Kids aren't stupid. If they can figure out Pokemon cards they can figure out Carcassonne or Ascension.

• Locked thread