Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Wonderllama posted:

how about orlando?
I'll bite on this, Orlando doesn't make any sense because we're too close to Tampa and there's already the Solar Bears here who draw a crowd but it's only because the tickets are relatively cheap.

You start charging NHL prices for hockey and I can almost guarantee that no one will come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ottawa's big announcement was technically "we now have the cheapest owner in the NHL"

Guy probably donated $100 to ALS after the ice bucket challenge

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

real_scud posted:

I'll bite on this, Orlando doesn't make any sense because we're too close to Tampa and there's already the Solar Bears here who draw a crowd but it's only because the tickets are relatively cheap.

You start charging NHL prices for hockey and I can almost guarantee that no one will come.

Thats true.

Jacksonville it is. The Jacksonville Beach Cruisers.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

Thats true.

Jacksonville it is. The Jacksonville Beach Cruisers.

Fred Durst on the PA announcing goals. Free Waffle House hashbrowns if the team scores three. Every ad on the dashers is for dental implants. This could work!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sorry, took a bit to find, but Hamilton already has a slogan for their team:

(Doors Pub shirt, for anyone wondering)

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

If we're considering dirty cities nobody likes, why hasn't anyone said Fort McMurray? :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rene Bork posted:

If we're considering dirty cities nobody likes, why hasn't anyone said Fort McMurray? :v:

He already has the Bruins.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rene Bork posted:

If we're considering dirty cities nobody likes

No, no, they're talking about moving the Islanders OUT of NY.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rene Bork posted:

The Fort Mac Uruk-hai™.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

JoelJoel posted:

Other than trying to expand the NHL into places where they don't like hockey I can't see a better location. QC may deserve it more but financially Hamilton is almost guaranteed to be a home run (which also probably means they will never do it, FFS).

hamilton is a bad financial move for the nhl. all those potential hamilton fans are already priced into the tv contract and they already buy merchandise. putting a team in hamilton just moves money from the other owners without increasing the bottom line of the league. an untapped market with potential to make new fans is always going to be preferred to somewhere hockey mad like hamilton

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It's pretty amazing that after years of literally degrading stats bloggers to the press the Leafs go out and hire two of them.

If Leiweke's not out then that's interesting, one of the few times that Friedman's been off. He deserves to go just for the goddamn Bon Jovi banner.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
New team will be in Seattle anyway, and if Florida is the team to go, if fixes the conferences too (kinda)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

It's pretty amazing that after years of literally degrading stats bloggers to the press the Leafs go out and hire two of them.

Mumble, mumble, and keep your enemies closer.

They'll probably get a desk in the basement over by the furnace and forgotten.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

the talent deficit posted:

hamilton is a bad financial move for the nhl. all those potential hamilton fans are already priced into the tv contract and they already buy merchandise. putting a team in hamilton just moves money from the other owners without increasing the bottom line of the league. an untapped market with potential to make new fans is always going to be preferred to somewhere hockey mad like hamilton

From a total earnings point of view all it likely means is that people will spend money on a hamilton thing as opposed to a toronto or buffalo or detroit thing. Other than that they'd have a sold out arena for the next ever.

Don't get me wrong, I may be an idiot fanboy but I'm not delusional, Hamilton will never get a NHL team.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

Mumble, mumble, and keep your enemies closer.

They'll probably get a desk in the basement over by the furnace and forgotten.

"Apparently this website is telling other teams which players are good, and they're going out and getting those players"

"What? That won't do at all! Have them shut down and burn all the records."

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hey Steve, what do you think of the new Leafs hires?

quote:

steve simmons @simmonssteve · 1m
I like the hiring of Darryl Metcalf. I dislike the hiring of Cam Charron, who from my experiences is a weasel who can't be trusted.

Also it sucks that while the Leafs are bringing critics in house and finally admitting that their direction has been way off, my favorite team signed Brooks Orpik for 5 years and a billion doallrs.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 19, 2014

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Haha, what? Did Simmons ask Charron to paint his fence in exchange for some blintzes?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

The Leafs finally realized that most NHL management is so incompetent that they can't compete with amateur bloggers using publicly available data and with a limited understanding of statistics.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Haha, what? Did Simmons ask Charron to paint his fence in exchange for some blintzes?

He claims it's because Charron posted supposedly confidential emails between the two of them last summer.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Simmons having a twitter meltdown is pretty funny, especially with his bad high school yearbook picture av.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jeez next teams will be hiring sbnation bloggers to get into flame wars with journalists and other teams.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

If Leiweke's not out then that's interesting, one of the few times that Friedman's been off. He deserves to go just for the goddamn Bon Jovi banner.

Hey, it worked for the Blue Jays, right?

I think it's cool that the fancy stat guys are being hired by garbage teams who are probably going to continue to do poorly, because the problems go a lot deeper in both orgs than what metrics they're using to evaluate talent. The old boys culture journalists will be able to point to them as examples of how fancy stats are useless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toronto doesn't even understand normal NHL.com stats like shooting percentage.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

MLSE has announced open auditions for positions on its analytics team. They will be held on HFBoards and 30 contracts will be handed out (to whomever posts the mosts).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

Report out of Dreger when the meetings were going on was that it was Nonis who was going to bat for Carlyle the most, iirc. I can't imagine Randy going first with that in mind.

I also don't think that either will get canned before the start of the season. I can't imagine a coach getting extended and fired in a single offseason, and the AGM situation is too problematic. Unless Shanahan's quest for another assistant is just a cover for finding Nonis' replacement, which would be outlandish.

Were such an occasion to arise, Nonis and Carlyle would likely officially go together. And again, I think that Nonis doesn't really make decisions anymore.

eXXon posted:

The Leafs finally realized that most NHL management is so incompetent that they can't compete with amateur bloggers using publicly available data and with a limited understanding of statistics.

Metcalf isn't an analyst, but buying out his site so other teams can't use it is the sort of evil machination that a megarich team like the Leafs can use.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hand Knit posted:

Were such an occasion to arise, Nonis and Carlyle would likely officially go together. And again, I think that Nonis doesn't really make decisions anymore.

So in the same off-season they let him extend gently caress head and then took away his powers? Could have saved us all a headache by simply doing the latter (also, we could have had a shot at Trotz).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yes yes, analysis doesn't necessarily translate to positive applications, especially when those closest to the issue are also its biggest detractors. It's still better than hiring the same dumb old bastards out of nepotism. If all these guys do is help out with the contracts of the team's actual good players (ala Gardiner) and find people of actual value to fill marginal third line roles (ala Winnik instead of the Kontiola and Komarov signings that were made pre-hire) then they'll do some good.

Nobody's calling the Leafs a playoff team now. The people who would try to point at a lack of instant success to further their own viewpoints are the same people that reject stats and analysis to begin with, so who cares?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Metcalf isn't an analyst, but buying out his site so other teams can't use it is the sort of evil machination that a megarich team like the Leafs can use.

Surely every NHL team can hire someone to recreate extraskater? Just pick a random data scientist from one of those silicon valley incubators. They don't even need to know anything about hockey.

Someone also mentioned putting extraskater back up but fudging oh let's say Tyler Bozak's numbers before trading him.

I thought all of the data from extraskater could be scraped from public sites, except maybe the shot distance data which is not especially reliable anyways.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Oilers are back baby

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Koopa Kid posted:

Nobody's calling the Leafs a playoff team now. The people who would try to point at a lack of instant success to further their own viewpoints are the same people that reject stats and analysis to begin with, so who cares?

They have a highly potent offense and (if last year can be counted on again) a really good keeper. Plus they managed to keep themselves in a playoff spot most of last year despite... well, we all know. I think this team is a playoff team without the present group of fuckwits running the show.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Every major (1mil+ population) metro in Canada already has a team. Why would the NHL give a team to Hamilton, a metro area of 750k, when a place like the Seattle metro area has 3.6 million and allegedly wants a team?

Anyway congrats to the Islanders and Toronto fans on having good things happen today.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hamilton home games will just be packed with Leafs fans like in Ottawa hth

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

They have a highly potent offense and (if last year can be counted on again) a really good keeper. Plus they managed to keep themselves in a playoff spot most of last year despite... well, we all know. I think this team is a playoff team without the present group of fuckwits running the show.

Their position in the standings was an illusion, propped up by the fact that their offense and goaltending was unsustainable. That's the point, the supposed 'positives' of the team couldn't even be relied upon for one season, let alone be carried over.

No amount of analysis is going to stop Carlyle being Carlyle. Interviews with Spott haven't given me much hope that he's any better.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Charles Wang is dead (in 2 years)

praise allah

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Any NHL team using extraskater for anything needs to be contracted. These are organizations worth on average nearly half a billion dollars, and the least of them has player-only operating expenses in the 50 million dollar range. Extraskater is not something that costs tens of thousands of dollars to duplicate, let alone more than that.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
lol if there were actually teams in the nhl using extraskater instead of compiling their own data

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Should have sent a poet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haha.

Doesn't absolve Cam Charron though. We already knew Simmons was a weasel.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^ loving gold!

yellowcar posted:

Hamilton home games will just be packed with Leafs fans like in Ottawa hth

Difference being that all other home game would also be full.

Koopa Kid posted:

Their position in the standings was an illusion, propped up by the fact that their offense and goaltending was unsustainable. That's the point, the supposed 'positives' of the team couldn't even be relied upon for one season, let alone be carried over.

No amount of analysis is going to stop Carlyle being Carlyle. Interviews with Spott haven't given me much hope that he's any better.

I'm not arguing that the team was good last year, but when you have that good a PP and can score that many goals, backed by Bernier playing out of his mind, you should be able to push for the playoffs.

They were unsustainable because other than getting huge saves and putting in goals the leafs last did nothing right.

Either way, I'm done with this team for the forseeable future so they can finish 10th again for all I care. Feels good to be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

Should have sent a poet.

Put down that flamethrower, James. You'll hurt someone.

• Locked thread