Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've been meaning to watch Kingdom of the a Spiders for over a year now and keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looks like a 70s Shatnerian Eight Legged Freaks. That is something I did not know I even wanted until just now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kingdom of the a Spiders is not a very good movie. It has it's "so bad it's good moments" but mostly it's just sort of boring.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Some Polish posters, applogies if any are reposts

(Working Girl)

(Weekend at Bernies)

Alien (somehow?)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

axleblaze posted:

Kingdom of the a Spiders is not a very good movie. It has it's "so bad it's good moments" but mostly it's just sort of boring.

I like it, but it's very 70's and a little more downbeat at times than a spider invasion flick should be.

Great if you like watching Shanter save a five-year-old girl by hurling her around like a football.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Great if you like watching Shanter save a five-year-old girl by hurling her around like a football.

I will admit when I watched the movie drunk with some friends, we rewound and watched that scene like 20 times in a row. The best part is he picks her up away from spiders and just sort of throws her onto some more spiders.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basticle posted:

(Working Girl)

(Weekend at Bernies)

These are amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Am I tripping or is there another Jedi poster with the exploding Darth Vader head but he's crossing two light sabers over his head? I think it might be a Japanese poster.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Real motherfucker of an ending, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Am I tripping or is there another Jedi poster with the exploding Darth Vader head but he's crossing two light sabers over his head? I think it might be a Japanese poster.

You may be thinking of the original "Revenge of the Jedi" poster:

You can still find these in some US Lowes theaters.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Real motherfucker of an ending, though.
Wasn't it basically The Birds ending, but with a spider-town covered in webs?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Wasn't it basically The Birds ending, but with a spider-town covered in webs?
For a goofy movie about spiders and William Shatner, that loving last shot has stayed with me for, like, 25 years.

It's a goodie.

EDIT: Probably the first ever "THE GOOD GUYS LOSE" movie I ever saw, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't they actually kill a ton of spiders in it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

muscles like this? posted:

Don't they actually kill a ton of spiders in it?

Yeah, they were paying people something like $10/tarantula and they killed a ton during filming for no good reason. It loving sucks

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

axleblaze posted:

Kingdom of the a Spiders

I think it's a better a title :colbert:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Worst tagline ever?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jew better quit Stalin and go see it Reich now

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, they were paying people something like $10/tarantula and they killed a ton during filming for no good reason. It loving sucks

That's not what Shatner says. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K1LmfGcus

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I'm not watching 16 minutes of Shatner talking about a bad movie, sorry

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm not watching 16 minutes of Shatner talking about a bad movie, sorry

So the dude takes a while to get through a sentence, no need to exaggerate!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Kingdom of the Spiders was pretty bad, but it made for a neat Rifftrax. Very old-school MST3K.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So MGM is celebrating their 90th anniversary with special edition Blu-Rays with (you guessed it!) special minimalist covers! You can see them all here, but here's a few that I felt "deserved" to be highlighted, usually because their existing posters didn't need to be improved upon or the minimalist execution was just too hacky:

And finally, my "favorite":

Why yes, that certainly is a road leading to a house. :downs:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 20, 2014

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
i like that West Side Story one

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not bad, but there already is a minimalist Saul Bass poster for the movie!

(Not his best, admittedly.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fruitpunch posted:

i like that West Side Story one

I felt that was the only one that was okay too. Silence of the Lambs' is killing me though because that is a super iconic poster/image and they just...uh, minimalized it. It just feels like so much :effort:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GrandpaPants posted:

I felt that was the only one that was okay too. Silence of the Lambs' is killing me though because that is a super iconic poster/image and they just...uh, minimalized it. It just feels like so much :effort:.

Same with the Usual Suspects, which is the actual cover, just made less interesting.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My biggest problem with those covers (and all minimalist posters really) is that they all convey the same amount of emotion and energy, zero. Is it an action movie? Horror? Comedy? Who cares, here's a sedate reference to something about it. :geno:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I laughed out loud at the Dances With Wolves one, because removed of any context or emotion, it just looks like Costner is a kid on a horse going "Wheeeeeee! Fly, horsie! Fly!"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
If I had never seen Dances With Wolves, that DVD cover would tell me it's a movie about the special bond between a grown man with a child's brain, and his closest friend in the world, a camel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vargo posted:

I laughed out loud at the Dances With Wolves one, because removed of any context or emotion, it just looks like Costner is a kid on a horse going "Wheeeeeee! Fly, horsie! Fly!"

And naked from the waist down, at that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Cleretic posted:

Same with the Usual Suspects, which is the actual cover, just made less interesting.

It actually looks like his film company logo (can't find it atm)I think.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kingtheninja posted:

It actually looks like his film company logo (can't find it atm)I think.

That's a Bad Hat Harry

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not even that they took an iconic image, they too part of an iconic image and removed it from it's iconic context. It's really is just sort of lovely

It also simplifies a Dali painting which is just sort of weird to look at.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bozo the Predator

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Chiming in that the West Side Story one is the only passable one. I'd even say that, as far as updating an iconic poster, it poses a pretty significant challenge to the original advert. I wouldn't mind at all if that became the new default home video image. It tells you everything you need to know about the movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

lelandjs posted:

So MGM is celebrating their 90th anniversary with special edition Blu-Rays with (you guessed it!) special minimalist covers! You can see them all here, but here's a few that I felt "deserved" to be highlighted, usually because their existing posters didn't need to be improved upon or the minimalist execution was just too hacky:
I saw these at Best Buy the other day, with a couple more that weren't posted inclduing "Bull Durham" and a really cheesy one for "The Delta Force". Most of them are just kinda inoffensive. The two best ones are, not surprisingly, the ones based on actual Saul Bass designs: "West Side Story" and "Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

Click to enlarge.

Basticle posted:

Some Polish posters, applogies if any are reposts
Two great ones I didn't see in there:

(Wall Street)

(Danton)

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 20, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I actually kind of like this one.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Spaceballs one is just the worst

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

What no one has told you is that they are essentially slip covers and the real box art is underneath... it's bad, but not as bad as it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

zenintrude posted:

What no one has told you is that they are essentially slip covers and the real box art is underneath... it's bad, but not as bad as it could have been.

That explains why some of them (Silence of the Lambs, Usual Suspects, and apparently Platoon) are basically less interesting versions of the actual posters.