Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

ENJOY THE RIDE.

WATCH FRACT: OSC. LP

CLICK NUMBERED IMAGES

BUY FRACT: OSC. GAME
STEAM
HUMBLE STORE
GOG.COM

BUY FRACT: OSC. SOUNDTRACK

OR STREAM ON SPOTIFY

MORE NEON AND SYNTHS

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What is going on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What is going on.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I dunno, but it certainly looks pretty. Think I'll stop worrying about it and just go along for the ride.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

What is going on.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
If playing video games has ever taught me anything, it's that any kind of installation with this many failsafes is either a power plant or a world-ending superweapon and, obviously, this place already has power.
Thus, WE ARE THE DEATH BRINGER, DESTROYER OF WORLDS.:black101:

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
There are far less involved methods of teaching color theorey.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
When do you start fighting the Blood Dragons?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I liked this game. Felt like Myst but with more neon and synth.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

REQUESTING DOCUMENTATION ON POWER TRANSFER PROCEDURE

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

CONTINUING REPAIR OF GREEN SECTOR

What is going on.

Carbon dioxide posted:

REQUESTING DOCUMENTATION ON POWER TRANSFER PROCEDURE

ALL WILL BE CLEAR IN TIME

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

This is really chill. feels like myst combined with the cyberspace sections from dystopia.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love this game, the payoff is amazing and worth the wait.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

FINAL GREEN ERROR DETECTED, ENDING SECTOR

33% OF CONDUITS CONNECTED
NEXT SECTOR: MAGENTA

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

UNRELATED SYNTHS & NEON VIDEO FOUND, SHARING
https://vimeo.com/103533906

PLEASE SHARE MORE NEON AND SYNTHS IF DETECTED

ANOTHER EXAMPLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCQmNMOqUY

THANK YOU

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for showing this off, I went ahead and bought it. It's a really pretty game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
This is highly relevant to the thread. Synth supreme!

But in all honestly, I'd never heard of this game at all, glad it's being shown off!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game really feels like an art piece from the 80s. Just leisurely bringing an old space station or something back to life with the power of music.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 19, 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

CONTINUING TO NEXT SECTOR: MAGENTA

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It's like someone turned Rez into a dreamy puzzle platformer.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

RESUMING SECTOR MAGENTA

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Just wanted to say that I really adore the narration, Samopsa. Thanks for keeping it so sympathetic to the game. It's a really beautiful experience.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, the game does look nice.

But half the time (probably more), I have no clue what your thought processes are. The puzzles look really very difficult and as far as I can see you're just moving or clicking some random poo poo and all of a sudden the puzzle is solved.

Maybe it feels different if you play it yourself, I don't know.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, the game does look nice.

But half the time (probably more), I have no clue what your thought processes are. The puzzles look really very difficult and as far as I can see you're just moving or clicking some random poo poo and all of a sudden the puzzle is solved.

Maybe it feels different if you play it yourself, I don't know.

I'm not sure how he's navigating, but the puzzles themselves, at least in terms of "what is even going on" are fairly straight forward by the time the second round comes up. First is that there's apparently a navigating vs. puzzle-solving view. Puzzle-view only does stuff when you're at certain places or looking at certain things. Look at the temples again, the platforms that he's standing on are color-coded to the block that you can move when you're in puzzle-view. So the process is to get to the appropriate platforms in the right order to let you move the blocks into the right place. The magenta bridges let you get to different platforms.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the whole thing seems straight forward honestly, like the platforms being where you can move cubes, or the whole gimmick of the beat thing.

the way the first one worked seems to be that the color block makes the apertures on those spheres slowly open, and each one has a different timing, what he had to do was get them to all be in sync so that the laser would go through.

The pink calibration is a bit more complex to explain, basically he needs to get the thin bars to hit the thicker bars at the bottom to make em light up, and when all of them are lit up at the same time, the bottom bit fills, and he needs to sustain that till it touches the bottom. the trick was that some would have a short duration or would only go down partway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, but is there any sensible way to tackle the 'synth board' puzzles after each main puzzle? I mean, you can look at how far the thing gets coloured and you can listen if the melody sounds good, but it still seems to be a whole lot of random trial and error to me.

E: Oh, the person above me just answered my question I guess.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

A bit out of the LP character: but yes, these dudes above are correct. The thing about this game is nothing is explained at all. Well, you could read the manual, but who does that ITYOOL 2013? So it's really trial-and-error based, and exploring and experiencing this world is a big part of the draw. Even though this is not my first run through, it still took me a good 10 minutes to solve the final magenta synth-calibration thing. That's why I've been keeping the commentary really sparse, just enjoy the game (and buy it for yourself, it's really good)!

I can do a short voice walkthrough later on on some of the more obscure mechanics, but I'd rather do it once I've finished the cyan sector for reasons.

Speaking of which..

CONTINUING PROGRESS: FINALIZING SECTOR MAGENTA

GRID PATTERNS USED IN FINAL CALIBRATION:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So wait, how did you know what bits the put at the bottom on the cathedral? that's the only thing that hasn't made sense yes.

also i noticed that green seemed to have plenty of glowing fluid, and now magenta has a bunch of glowing crystals. Is cyan plants or gas? or have you saved it for last for a reason? (please dont actually tell me, i can wait a day.)

Also the pacing on your videos is pretty much perfect, i like they while they are short they also come out real fast.

Keep up the good work.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Zoig posted:

So wait, how did you know what bits the put at the bottom on the cathedral? that's the only thing that hasn't made sense yes.

See the images in my posts + the icons. It basically just copying settings found in the environment.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

no, not the grid bit, the part underneath them. do they even matter?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That part appeared to put itself in the correct order automatically.

Edit: Reworded my sentence, thinking and typing is hard.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 21, 2014

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

yeah but I'm trying to figure out what the hell the point of it was. it was the "beatmaps" of the previous temples, but he put one beatmap 3 times in a row, and then the first one at the end, and i have no idea if he was supposed to do the specifically, or he was just winging it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The order of the beatmaps doesn't matter, so long as sound is playing you can adjust the tuners. So, just order them up however you want! Be a musician!

Samopsa posted:

A bit out of the LP character: but yes, these dudes above are correct. The thing about this game is nothing is explained at all. Well, you could read the manual, but who does that ITYOOL 2013? So it's really trial-and-error based, and exploring and experiencing this world is a big part of the draw.

In regards to the bolded, are you going to do a video with spelunking/getting hopelessly lost? I really like the game, but I did get confused as to where to go next on occasion.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

STARTING FINAL SECTOR: CYAN

Oblivion4568238 posted:

The order of the beatmaps doesn't matter, so long as sound is playing you can adjust the tuners. So, just order them up however you want! Be a musician!

In regards to the bolded, are you going to do a video with spelunking/getting hopelessly lost? I really like the game, but I did get confused as to where to go next on occasion.

Yup, the lower beat-maps are just for reference, they don't actually do anything but start the music so you can tune it.
Navigation is pretty easy: just follow the non-activated waypoint markers to find the new waypoints! Also, the waypoint map kinda corresponds to the ingame world.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This looks beautiful, but you may want to put up a warning about motion sickness.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I got this game for myself and I think I know what the payoff of doing all this is. Its really cool, are we gonna see it after cyan, or is there even more to do?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For the puzzles in this sector, it seems a lot more intuitive what you have to do to solve them. I didn't get a "what is this and what the hell do I have to do here" feeling like in the other sectors. I wonder if the designers intended Cyan as some sort of tutorial section.

Of course there's no need to finish a sector before starting with the others, the order is all up to the player.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Actually it looks like green was the intended first sector, when you finish one of the puzzles, the camera automatically turns to that door with the monolith behind it and nothing else, so you know to look for more things like that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

For the puzzles in this sector, it seems a lot more intuitive what you have to do to solve them. I didn't get a "what is this and what the hell do I have to do here" feeling like in the other sectors. I wonder if the designers intended Cyan as some sort of tutorial section.

Of course there's no need to finish a sector before starting with the others, the order is all up to the player.

Yeah, the coolest thing in this game when you play is to just walk around when you get stuck at a puzzle, and see if there's something else to do/see/listen. I found the green puzzles to be the easiest, the final cyan puzzle is pretty hard.

Zoig posted:

So I got this game for myself and I think I know what the payoff of doing all this is. Its really cool, are we gonna see it after cyan, or is there even more to do?

After cyan I'm doing a small aside and then I'm finishing off the game with the final puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Samopsa posted:

Navigation is pretty easy: just follow the non-activated waypoint markers to find the new waypoints! Also, the waypoint map kinda corresponds to the ingame world.

It's more that I kept walking after finishing the three main green puzzles and ended up overlooking one of the middle magenta puzzles. There's also achievements for finding curiosities off the beaten path, and I've gotten a couple of those. There's some weird stuff out there. FakeEdit: Kinda like the thing you found around six minutes in the video! Are you going to go back to that later?

• Locked thread