Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

aas Bandit posted:

The Canyon car in TM2 is a completely different vehicle from the TM1 version (and handles very differently).

Canyon was probably my least-favorite car to drive in TM1, and the TM2 version is a huge improvement, IMO.

The TM1 one was called Desert (or Speed).
And it was probably objectively the best car/handling in TrackMania so far, as it was the only one besides Stadium where you could get top times with any controller including keyboard, and it had loads of depth with the way the car handled when driving on two wheels in turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hell yeah, that car was loving genius and I'm pretty sad they never revisited that. Plus, it's great at doing tricks in Stunt mode.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

aas Bandit posted:

^^^All of the environments (TM1 and TM2) have their share of unreal stunts though? They all have loops and wallrides and so on...?
Yeah sorry, I just meant they play differently.

TM Forever sure had a lot more variety than TM2, but given it basically just ported the environments from all previous TM games it's not really surprising.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 21, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Combining all the environments was a pretty nice thing to do, though, since it ensured everyone could play with everyone else. That is, unless you didn't buy United, in which case why have you not bought United yet? Steam sales usually bring it down to 5-10 bucks by now. Get it, it's amazing.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Alright, here's video 1! This time in full HD (1080P). Make sure to download the video or watch in full-screen on my site to get the best details possible!

Race 1 - Buffering and Pain

HD ~ SD ~ YouTube ~ TM-Tube

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I was doing pretty well against the rest of the noobs until the dirt part :(

Edit - The minecraft guy is so cute thought :allears:

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 21, 2014

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Camoes posted:

Edit - The minecraft guy is so cute thought :allears:

He's running away from my Creeper car and that's why he's better than me.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
You seem to have the beginning music mixed only in the left channel on that video. It's only a small issue, since it fades out quickly anyhow.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Eddy Rasta posted:

You seem to have the beginning music mixed only in the left channel on that video. It's only a small issue, since it fades out quickly anyhow.

Yea I did the editing without headphones, so I didn't catch it until it was uploaded and stuff.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Grawl posted:

Alright, here's video 1! This time in full HD (1080P). Make sure to download the video or watch in full-screen on my site to get the best details possible!

Shout-out to Jabor for having a pro-rear end skin. Almost as cool as my Lada. :coal:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Great Joe posted:

Shout-out to Jabor for having a pro-rear end skin. Almost as cool as my Lada. :coal:

I actually picked the Lada, but then you came along and picked it too.

So I was forced to pick a different skin.

gently caress you.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Grawl posted:

I actually picked the Lada, but then you came along and picked it too.

So I was forced to pick a different skin.

gently caress you.

Hey man, I'd be cool with there being two Ladas. :hfive:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Grawl posted:

There's how you do it! Clearly there is room for improvement, looking at the variation between my runs... anyone up for it? :v:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I fixed the audio issues, old links still work.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Huh, I always figured I'd screwed up the dirt section the worst. But then looking at the C-listers video, I'm right near the back up until the hump and then claw most of it back just over that section. I guess I could have shaved like half a second if I'd figured out how to do that opening loop right.

(As an aside, I'd also considered the Lada skin, but then decided I wanted something a little more obscure.)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jabor posted:

Huh, I always figured I'd screwed up the dirt section the worst. But then looking at the C-listers video, I'm right near the back up until the hump and then claw most of it back just over that section. I guess I could have shaved like half a second if I'd figured out how to do that opening loop right.

(As an aside, I'd also considered the Lada skin, but then decided I wanted something a little more obscure.)

I thought I did the dirt section great!

...Until it turns out that out of all the A listers, I'm literally the only person who took that line.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Entropist posted:

There's how you do it! Clearly there is room for improvement, looking at the variation between my runs... anyone up for it? :v:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope! t:mad:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Grawl posted:

Nice job--that was fun to watch, even after having to see it over and over while camming it. :) Great work guys!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Renegret posted:

I thought I did the dirt section great!

...Until it turns out that out of all the A listers, I'm literally the only person who took that line.

You, and me! You can see it in the group A vid.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
You tricked me good with the fake buffering on that video. I hosed around with it a whole bunch before I realized what was happening. Hey, I'm on crappy hotel wifi, cut me some slack :v:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Shaved off one second, then two, then another. I'm getting faster at riding your mom, and she doesn't seem to mind.

Foozle
May 29, 2006
But holy hell that last hill climb. That's the goddamn destroyer of runs. I've had spectacular runs ruined just because I didn't hit that thing just right. At this rate, I'll probably end up with my fastest run being one where I land a jump upside-down but hit that hill perfect.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Foozle posted:

But holy hell that last hill climb. That's the goddamn destroyer of runs. I've had spectacular runs ruined just because I didn't hit that thing just right. At this rate, I'll probably end up with my fastest run being one where I land a jump upside-down but hit that hill perfect.

Same. I keep getting amazing runs, five seconds off gold only to tap the wall at the end and come to a absolute stop.

gently caress this end.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
And here I thought my Mad Max car was...well, not exactly witty but it's vaguely Australian! That's comedy, right?

I'm gonna get deported aren't I?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Grawl posted:

Man, it never hits home how slow you are until you're waiting for your car to come in yelling "Come on, you asshat! FINISH ALREADY!"

Clearly I have some improvement to do.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
your mom was really fun at first and I felt really good about your mom.

But now I'm getting down and dirty with your mom and I just don't feel like I can perform well enough.

(I still can't beat my best time from Monday, maybe I got lucky?)

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Finally got some time to sit down and play with your mom. She's a down and dirty girl who likes to have a fun but if you step out of line she'll whip you good. I'm gonna put in a few more hours with your mom and work on a few of her tricky places which need attention.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Spelling Mitsake posted:

your mom was really fun at first and I felt really good about your mom.

But now I'm getting down and dirty with your mom and I just don't feel like I can perform well enough.

(I still can't beat my best time from Monday, maybe I got lucky?)

I had the same problem for a while, Your Mom is a temptress, who invites you in with an easy score, then gets the clamps out and makes you work for more.
I did manage to squeeze another three seconds out of her yesterday.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

your mom has this one tight opening when you take her from behind and it's driving me mad, but when you do her right it just feels so good :gizz:

edit:

Grimwit posted:

Man, it never hits home how slow you are until you're waiting for your car to come in yelling "Come on, you asshat! FINISH ALREADY!"

Clearly I have some improvement to do.
Work on your corners. You wanna approach from the outside, take the middle on the inside, and exit on the outside again. Take a look at how the Top Tier cars, especially the ones in front, just take every corner touching the inside shoulder of almost every corner. Try to do that.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 22, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Foozle posted:

Yeah from my experience the jump into the boost pad and the final hill are the bits that'll save you / cost you the most time.

For the boost pad, you wanna make sure you line up early so you don't flip out on the jump, and then the smoother you land and the smoother you cut the dirt corner, the more time you'll save.

For the final hill, you have to go full speed ahead the second you get the non-dirt sections, so you can just turn into the hill and hopefully have enough momentum to make it over the hump.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That's actually a good reason the backwards way works so well. It circumvents that hillclimb and the boost jump completely.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
We've
come too far
to give up
on our tires
so let's
race a car
'Till the track
catches fire!

I'd be faster in a truck!
We crash hard, I'm like "gently caress!"
My skin looks like a duck!
We're drivin' to get lucky!

I'd be faster in a herse!
We got that Entropist curse!
My best time is my worse!
We're drivin' to get lucky!

*repeat 20 times*

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I'm out of time for the week. I really need to get better at dirt, there's a bunch of time I know I can gain.

There should be 1 little thing of interest in my replay though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I've got a good feeling about your mom, like she's finally treating me alright. :wiggle:

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
A friend of mine was kind enough to gift me TM2 Stadium after listening to me make gurgling frustrated concentration noises for a few hours while I played old Gooncup tracks, thought it'd be funny to listen to me do them a lot more often.

Of course, first thing I did was hop right in your mom. drat, that's a slippery, filthy piece of work but it's just like riding a bike after the first few times. Every time I ride that dirt stain up and down, it just keeps feeling better and better until I just can't help myself and... :holy: I'm jiggling all over, running the skirt hard and getting tossed in the air. I rode your mom for a few hours but I know I got a day or two make her really scream for mercy. I always seem to do best at dirty shits like your mom. :heysexy:

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Submitted this week's replay. I feel like I got a decent time, still have maybe another half second to shave off (of your mom) on the route I took but it was taking too many tries to do so. Hopefully I didn't miss any blatantly obvious time saves along the way.

I'm really curious to see what a fast backwards run looks like, I couldn't come within 5 seconds of my best run going forward.

Edit: Jokes.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007
Getting over your mom's threshold at the end there is really difficult to do correctly and have ruined really good sessions for me. What a shame.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I just sent in my replay. I never managed to beat my best time from Monday.

gently caress your mom.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Ghetto Wizard posted:

Getting over your mom's threshold at the end there is really difficult to do correctly and have ruined really good sessions for me. What a shame.

For some of the people talking about "end" or "start", I'm not sure if you're going in reverse or not. I just submitted my replay for the backwards route, and both the start and the end are bitchy. The start only because you're trying to get turned around as quickly and cleanly as possible and get the hell through that first CP without fumbling around too much, and the end because trying to navigate that first/last checkpoint in reverse and not get all stuck up on that weird hill with the tumor...

I'm really curious to see how much variation there ends up being in the replays. I know there will be the forward/reverse split, but I tried a few different options on the reverse route, mostly different ways to deal with the booster platform area. Replay cams should be an interesting challenge. :stare:

Edit: Also, I love it when you're trying for an hour to shave off the other quarter to half a second that you know is possible, and you end up hitting everything really nice and grab nearly another second instead. It eliminates that whole "well...do I grind for a while longer and get another quarter or a tenth...?" inner conversation. It's just "yep, that's it. Done." :unsmith:

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

aas Bandit posted:

I'm really curious to see how much variation there ends up being in the replays. I know there will be the forward/reverse split, but I tried a few different options on the reverse route, mostly different ways to deal with the booster platform area. Replay cams should be an interesting challenge. :stare:

I found one particularly amusing (to me, at least) alternate route when doing your mom backwards, but even with that I just couldn't get my backwards route even remotely close to my forward time :(

I really wanted to submit a backwards replay too, but not enough to sacrifice five seconds.

• Locked thread