Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

Spiffo posted:

Unless it was a weird coincidence last time I loaded my file, I think the cat return times continue even when you're not playing, so send them out before you call it quits?

If this was a portable game, that sort of feature would be useful. On a PS3 it's considerably less.

The Xillia 2 guide says the Kitty Dispatch thing actually works off your console clock, so if you wanted to get a certain day's bonus you just have to change the date on your PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiffo posted:

Unless it was a weird coincidence last time I loaded my file, I think the cat return times continue even when you're not playing, so send them out before you call it quits?

If this was a portable game, that sort of feature would be useful. On a PS3 it's considerably less.

Yeah, my cat basically always returns when I turn the game on after not playing for a bit. Honestly, I just have them constantly searching while I'm doing jobs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Yeah, sometimes I literally forget about them, go and do something else for a bit, and when I return I get the "Your kitty has returned" thing.

Found another cat with a Tales Motif, Nataliana is like Luke in that they're both colored after their namesake.

Brownie is another one with a strange coloring but I don't know what character its supposed to resemble.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

How do I add new locations to the kitty dispatch?

I can't seem to send them to Marksburg

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Spiffo posted:

You have to catch a cat there first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiffo posted:

Any time you catch a cat in an area, that area is added to the dispatch.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Question: How many times does Alvin betray you in this game, and how many times do you take him back? Seriously a cycle of abuse with that guy.

Also do they kill teepo again? I stopped playing the last one when they killed teepo, those bastards.

Tales of Xillia was a depressing game.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm a bit annoyed with the job system in the game, plenty of jobs I could do really easily (Buy an Earth cape for a certain Phantasia character) yet they're behind Title walls so I can't do them without grinding other missions to get a Bronze Seal or whatever.

gannyGrabber posted:

Tales of Xillia was a depressing game.

This game's a bit more depressing honestly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

Also do they kill teepo again? I stopped playing the last one when they killed teepo, those bastards.
Teepo comes back in like 2 hours.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RMZXAnarchy posted:

This game's a bit more depressing honestly.

Yeeeeeaaaah. Also holy poo poo the (first?) Chronos fight kicked my rear end because he took like no damage, even after I swapped to a weapon he wasn't resistant to (nice job adding weapons with an element he resists to the crafting vendor right beforehand, assholes). I don't think I'm too low level for this and I'm only on Moderate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also who stops playing because Teepo dies?

wdarkk posted:

Yeeeeeaaaah. Also holy poo poo the (first?) Chronos fight kicked my rear end because he took like no damage, even after I swapped to a weapon he wasn't resistant to (nice job adding weapons with an element he resists to the crafting vendor right beforehand, assholes). I don't think I'm too low level for this and I'm only on Moderate.

Post again when you get to the next boss fight.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

:smithicide: Oh boy!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Chronos is basically a wall to test if you've A: equipped Magic Guard and B: Understand how to use Magic Guard and Regular Guard.

One thing to keep in mind is that Ludgar's super mode fills up while blocking. There's no reason to over-aggress against that fight because playing defensively lets you cycle into super mode really regularly.

Cake Attack posted:

Muzet? I just stepped on her face. She won't use her Mystic Arts if you block all her attacks and the only really dangerous spell she has is her ground-fire one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also what are people doing when they activate Chromatus, because I've yet to see any evidence that jumping and spamming Azure Edge isn't the most broken thing.

I did 40k against a boss with just under 90k HP doing that.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Also what are people doing when they activate Chromatus, because I've yet to see any evidence that jumping and spamming Azure Edge isn't the most broken thing.

That's what I do. If there's anything better I haven't found it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Also who stops playing because Teepo dies?

I have no problems with Teepo. :colbert:

Besides, yeah he goes back to being basically the same really shortly after that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Muzet? I just stepped on her face. She won't use her Mystic Arts if you block all her attacks and the only really dangerous spell she has is her ground-fire one.

well aren't you good at video games

I had forgotten to upgrade my gear for while when I fought her so I probably had an unnecessarily tough time of it.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I have no problems with Teepo. :colbert:

Besides, yeah he goes back to being basically the same really shortly after that.

I don't mind him either but I can't imagine being so fond of him that I'd quit the game because of his loss.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

well aren't you good at video games

I had forgotten to upgrade my gear for while when I fought her so I probably had an unnecessarily tough time of it.

I had to go down to easy because I'm just not very good at this whole save often thing.
I'm also bad at upgrading gear.

I've noticed getting Linked Arte Chains is much easier in this game than it was in X1. Maybe having the generic Link Cannon/Link Pillar/Link Charge artes helps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I had to go down to easy because I'm just not very good at this whole save often thing.
I'm also bad at upgrading gear.

I've noticed getting Linked Arte Chains is much easier in this game than it was in X1. Maybe having the generic Link Cannon/Link Pillar/Link Charge artes helps.

Yeah, the fact that every character has a generic link art means it's really really easy to keep chains up, you can do a simple 4-chain just by swapping between characters.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is there any point to exploring the alternate dimensions? I can't really say the idea of looking through these same maps again sounds like much fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Is there any point to exploring the alternate dimensions? I can't really say the idea of looking through these same maps again sounds like much fun.

They have their own treasures which usually includes some nice items or a hell of a lot of cash-moneys.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

Chronos is basically a wall to test if you've A: equipped Magic Guard and B: Understand how to use Magic Guard and Regular Guard.

Wait that's a fight you have to win. I thought it was one of the ones that you can lose with no difference to the story.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait that's a fight you have to win. I thought it was one of the ones that you can lose with no difference to the story.

I never actually died to him, I just quit to the main menu because I'd run out of life bottles long before he ran out of HP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I didn't die to him so I don't know but I was assuming considering people were posting about it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah you need to win that fight.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So I've just gotten to chapter 8.

Gaius, er... Erston, is a bit of an oddball.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gaius is my surprise favorite party member. He's just the right mix of serious but a little off.

The best part is when you talk to him around town and he's like "Just so you know, I'll be observing your every move. Except, uh, not in a creepy stalker way." (paraphrased)

KoB
May 1, 2009
My biggest problem with sequels to RPGs like this is that in the 1st game as Jude I punched dragons to death with my bare hands but now the party is all weak as hell and no one acknowledges them as badasses :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

My biggest problem with sequels to RPGs like this is that in the 1st game as Jude I punched dragons to death with my bare hands but now the party is all weak as hell and no one acknowledges them as badasses :negative:

There's actually a reason for this. In the first game you had a Plot McGuffin that you used to get more powerful (and the post-game bonus dungeon went into more detail about its history.) By the sequel the plot McGuffin has stopped working so everyone is back to Level 1 and using a new plot mcguffin.

Likewise, Jude invested all of his massive JRPG stash of money into research.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would still say the latter's a problem, since nobody seems to know how the party saved the world, though.

So I beat the evil Muzet. I guess the party is officially worse than Gaius now, aren't they?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask about this. In prep for the sequel coming out I thought I'd give the first Xilia a try and, honestly, I'm having some difficulty with it. I just got past the falls (the first time cat tail lady shows up) and it's really not grabbing me. Does the game markedly turn around in the future? Is playing on hard a bad idea?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I've come across many "Character" quests given out by characters for past games.

Each of them gives a Sealed *Game Title* item.

Sealed Xillia is given to us by Baba himself, who wants a Harpy Edge to trim his beard. :3:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

I don't mind him either but I can't imagine being so fond of him that I'd quit the game because of his loss.

After the party welcomes back Alvin for the 187108951078th time, morale was at an all-time low. Then they killed Teepo and broke what's-her-name (Elize?). There's only so much horrible poo poo that I can put up with in a game. Does Alvin die in this one? Please tell me he dies in this one.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Brackhar posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask about this. In prep for the sequel coming out I thought I'd give the first Xilia a try and, honestly, I'm having some difficulty with it. I just got past the falls (the first time cat tail lady shows up) and it's really not grabbing me. Does the game markedly turn around in the future? Is playing on hard a bad idea?

It definitely improves the further you get as the story becomes more involved and the battle system opens up considerably. I'd give it a few more hours before giving up because by most accounts Xillia 2 is even better; would be a shame to miss out.

gannyGrabber posted:

After the party welcomes back Alvin for the 187108951078th time, morale was at an all-time low. Then they killed Teepo and broke what's-her-name (Elize?). There's only so much horrible poo poo that I can put up with in a game. Does Alvin die in this one? Please tell me he dies in this one.

Jesus man, it's just a silly Tales game. If you don't like Alvin you can turn him into a literal puppy dog. :)

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 22, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

If you don't like Alvin, you might be a fundamentally broken individual. Check with a doctor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

Dude, teepo dying is like the only reason Elize comes out of her shell and starts saying what she actually means. It's a Good Thing.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Are there actually any new areas in the game? Aside from some small ones with Spirius Corp and the train at the very start, I don't think I've seen any new content (area-wise).

e; and they re-use the train several times, too

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone who played and hated Xilia enjoyed this game? I generally like the Tales series but I thought Xilia was Legendia-tier.

Is the mutton still fresh?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Probably not? The story is 50% expanding on Xillia 1's story and the battle system is almost but not quite exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

Probably not? The story is 50% expanding on Xillia 1's story and the battle system is almost but not quite exactly the same.

It wasn't the story and battle system I minded. Battle system was fine and the story was a Tales story so whatever. It just felt like a really half assed game to me, for whatever reason. Awful voice acting. Fairly boring world, although the requisite second world was cool if miniscule.

• Locked thread