Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PuTTY riot posted:

the ppl in diy say to buy lumber from a lumber yard not a hardware store idk

think of buying wood at home depot like buying dinner at ikea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PuTTY riot posted:

good advice but for a lot of us there isn't a real lumber yard within reasonable driving distance

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

BONGHITZ posted:

can i buy wood from amazon?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

http://www.amazon.com/Nucasa-M1X6-S-Unfinished-75-Inch-5-5-Inch/dp/B002FU5I3M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1408765819&sr=8-14&keywords=lumber

poor reviews apparently

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

good advice but for a lot of us there isn't a real lumber yard within reasonable driving distance

MacBeath Hardwood, dude. right down in bayview.

for the fine quality lumber for furniture and stuff anyway. if you want just a shitload of 2x4s or something, there's a place next to it i can't remember the name of but they're good too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also, rotor, you live in the sunset, are you hearing all these bangs and pops that sound like a ZSU-23 AAA gun and/or firecrackers? what the hell are they, they've been going off all night

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

please take a picture of rotors house

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

http://www.berrysmill.com/ is where I'm gettin my wood these days :chord:

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

mcmaster-carr is the best thing ever. you can get titanium screws, a bag of 8mm woodruff keys, a life jacket and a 200lb block of aluminum all in the same order

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Socracheese posted:

mcmaster-carr is the best thing ever

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the lumber section at the Home Depot in manhattan is the funniest poo poo tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

also, rotor, you live in the sunset, are you hearing all these bangs and pops that sound like a ZSU-23 AAA gun and/or firecrackers? what the hell are they, they've been going off all night

firecrackers

chinese people fuckin love firecrackers

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

how does that even work

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PuTTY riot posted:

yeah let me just walk my cityboy rear end into a lumberyard and go inside of the foreman's trailer rapecave to make a deal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

theflyingexecutive posted:

my mom is partially responsible for that store's existence

particularly the upselling/impulse buying that goes on in the checkout lines

we drunkenly laughed at it before they moved to nola from those retarded tourist steps

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PuTTY riot posted:

how does that even work

art students

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tbf the one in Brooklyn is real, but the manhattan one is across the street from Bloomingdales, not much contractor work there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Socracheese posted:

mcmaster-carr is the best thing ever. you can get titanium screws, a bag of 8mm woodruff keys, a life jacket and a 200lb block of aluminum all in the same order

digikey is also pretty cool for being the electronic equivalent

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

though its pretty funny to see a mechanical engineer or worse, a non engineer try and order something like say a capacitor from digikey

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sagebrush posted:

good:
- zip ties
i should fukken hope so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

amazingly there are terrible zip ties out there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

amazingly there are terrible zip ties out there

i found this out the hard way :mad:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hahaha i ordered some $8 clothing thing and didnt' pay attention to the shipping time.

it's going to be shipped from china hahahaha

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i should fukken hope so

if you think there is anything that cannot be ruined in an unexpected and from-the-outside hilarious manner by chinese cost-cutting, you're in for a wild ride

i bought cheap zip ties once where only about one in three would actually stay locked in place, and those that did would just snap in half with a strong jerk. how? beats the gently caress out of me

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

though its pretty funny to see a mechanical engineer or worse, a non engineer try and order something like say a capacitor from digikey

but also when they are, too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

hahaha i ordered some $8 clothing thing and didnt' pay attention to the shipping time.

it's going to be shipped from china hahahaha

sometimes i order things from china and they get here 4 days later, it's a crazy world we live in

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i will get to see it in 2 months says this tracker

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if its china post epacket its actually pretty fast. i've got poo poo from china to the miami area in about a week (and epacket is usually free or cheap as gently caress)

if its normal china post air mail it usually takes about a month. get EMS if you need your poo poo Right Now because the few times i've used it (its expensive) its been 2-3 days

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EMS is a system overseen by the goddamned united nations so i would expect that it at least does what it says on the box, yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah EMS owns and shows that shaggar is wrong so it owns even harder

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
you guys have Menards?

like home depot/lowes but the designers are students of MC Escher and whatever you need, does not matter what, is going to be the at the absolute farthest point from where you're standing

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you guys have Menards?

like home depot/lowes but the designers are students of MC Escher and whatever you need, does not matter what, is going to be the at the absolute farthest point from where you're standing

either "inconvenience store" or best store planning ever. imagine going there bored/hungry

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I like Jameco over digikey

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

either "inconvenience store" or best store planning ever. imagine going there bored/hungry

the place is ridiculous huge too, go there for three things and you'll get your exercise in for the week

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bad zip ties AARGHH

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

i like them better too but they don't have quite the selection that digi-key does. no attiny84s :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

not to be confused with jamesco, a yospos venture

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon Wood Services

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Beeftweeter posted:

jamesco, a yospos joint

• Locked thread