Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
I always kinda figured that when goons went on about anime, they did so ironically, like posting pictures of Hitler and swastikas and such because quite obviously its all a load of old wank? That's what I thought anyway but the level to which people are taking it I cant help but think... are there actually people on here who genuinely enjoy watching it? And if so I'm curious, what point in your life did you decide actually I wont watch normal shows that confident, sex having genuine regular human beings watch like Prison Break and House, I'm gonne watch a bunch of really bad animations that basically label me a basement dwelling manchild with a schoolgirl fetish for all to see and that guarantee I will die with my virginity intact? I don't mean any offence I really do want to know if anime fans are aware of how they are perceived by the rest of the world and why they choose to immerse themselves further in this fruity little world regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

nothing about anime love is ironic on the something is awful forums

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djI6nc9EVMM

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Mike Gallego posted:

nothing about anime love is ironic on the something is awful forums

That's what got me wondering. Its when someone posted a thread saying help, i want to get into anime which to most people is pretty much the same as if someone said help i want to be a bronie and sure enough all these other goons were giving advice on how this person can throw all their self respect away like its helpful in some way. Is this now an anime forum?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
Actually, it's now considered normal and cool to like gay nerd trash. Just don't, like, write fanfic or do a Tumblr or anything, that is a sperg too far. Watch Jojo.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
if I didn't watch anime I probably wouldn't go out of my way to mention that I don't watch anime. how about you guys?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I've never watched an anime, cos I'm not a paedo.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

PenguinBob posted:

Actually, it's now considered normal and cool to like gay nerd trash. Just don't, like, write fanfic or do a Tumblr or anything, that is a sperg too far. Watch Jojo.

It really isn't. You couldn't go into work for example and say to regular joe's hey i watched some great anime last night without having the piss taken out of you the moment you turned your back. That you think it is makes me wonder if its more to do with the company you keep and if so maybe its time for a change of friends?

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I'd sure hope not

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

It really isn't. You couldn't go into work for example and say to regular joe's hey i watched some great anime last night without having the piss taken out of you the moment you turned your back. That you think it is makes me wonder if its more to do with the company you keep and if so maybe its time for a change of friends?
I don't watch anime and don't know any one in the real world that does

as far as i know the entire anime watching faggots of the world are all gathered on something awful

im gay

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

It's nuGBS dude. Shitlords trying to be ironic shitlords.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I am confused op why do you think the swastikas are ironic

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Do people genuinely like molesting kids ? I just don't understand. How is this possible ? I would expect something like this from some

other animals, but not humans who are well known for not being hosed in the head.

:iiam:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4
anime fans

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

It seems like the guy choosing friends based on whether or not they like the good anime, is actually the weirdo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im the guy in e/n who has only 1 group of friends and is losing them because he can't deal with the fact that people like anime

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Watched Paprika recently and I think I'm going to check out Perfect Blue tonight - anyone a fan?

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
move this thread to yospos, then delete yospos

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

anime sucks and given the chance I would behead the goons who post about it

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

haha gypsum? I hardly knowum. pfffffff

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

ethanol posted:

anime sucks and given the chance I would behead the goons who post about it

would it be with Squall's gunblade?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

no they will not posted:

Watched Paprika recently and I think I'm going to check out Perfect Blue tonight - anyone a fan?

Perfect Blue is really cool, its probably not as good as Paprika but I like it more because I like psychological thriller stuff.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I always kinda figured that when goons went on about anime, they did so ironically, like posting pictures of Hitler and swastikas and such

What the gently caress r u yalkin about

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

no they will not posted:

Satoshi Kon movies are the poo poo and are exempt from classification as Anime, much like Miyazaki/Ghibli stuff.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pretty soon the anime banners will be unfurled from all the windows and the jack-booted anime schoolgirls will go parading through the streets and finally declare the creation of the anime republic, led by the great leader hitler-chan

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Liking anime is soley a matter of prioritization. You either value anime more than you value your ability to live near schools and other public places or you don't.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

just the goku anime

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

univbee posted:

Satoshi Kon movies are the poo poo and are exempt from classification as Anime, much like Miyazaki/Ghibli stuff.

hahaha keep telling yourself that

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

univbee posted:

no they're definitely anime and i think you of all people shouldn't be looking down on anime. i'm sure your family already thinks you're embarrassing enough after that letter you sent them about why the xbox one is bad

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
anime is pretty ok because it gives you exposure to other cultures. living in Alabama, anime is the closest i can get to understanding the oriental cultures and finding ways to co-op them.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Budget Cop posted:

no they're definitely anime and i think you of all people shouldn't be looking down on anime. i'm sure your family already thinks you're embarrassing enough after that letter you sent them about why the xbox one is bad

hahahahaha

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

univbee posted:

nope. Youre still a gross pedophile if you like those things

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Budget Cop posted:

pleast post the letter for everybody to see, univbee

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Budget Cop posted:

dang that is some serious ownage. post the letter so we can see just how big a trifling anime hating loser univbee is

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Budget Cop posted:

Haha I forgot the letter

Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011
the acting is good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

dang that is some serious ownage. post the letter so we can see just how big a trifling anime hating loser univbee is

quote:

The new consoles are arriving soon, with Microsoft and Sony competing for the success of their latest consoles, which should be out sometime in or around November. Normally I wouldn't write something like this, but there are some pretty important things at stake with this particular battle that could change for worse the way future media is distributed. You may have heard it discussed on the news, but there's been a lot of misinformation floating around that I'm going to attempt to set straight.

The short version is that if you want to buy one of the next generation consoles, I implore you to go with the Sony PlayStation 4. The good news is that this system will be $100 cheaper ($400) than Microsoft's Xbox One ($500), so we're already off to an excellent start. Neither unit is backwards compatible with its predecessor, so even if you have a lot of Xbox 360 games you can keep that console and start fresh with a PS4; you'd be starting fresh with an Xbox One anyway.

The main difference is that Microsoft is looking to permanently change how media ownership works. Basically, if you buy a game you are more or less stuck with it, with very few avenues to sell it, exchange it, or give it away. Every game comes with a unique serial number, or product key code. You're probably familiar with how these work if you've ever installed Microsoft Office or a paid Adobe product like Photoshop. These must be registered to your account before you can start playing the game. Once registered, transfers have to go through Microsoft. A license can be given away once to one of your friends; they can't intern give the game to someone else or give it back to you, they are then stuck with it forever. Trading in games at stores will only be possible at stores that have a service agreement with Microsoft and a computer system allowing them to manage licenses, which will cut off smaller stores and likely be limited to larger outfits like EB Games and Future Shop. This will also not be possible initially when the system comes out, and a publisher can disable all of these functions; first buyer is the only allowed user.

In order to manage these licenses, the console itself will require a persistent high-speed internet connection. If the Xbox One is unable to communicate with Microsoft's online license servers for longer than 24 hours, ALL games will be automatically disabled until the connection is re-established. The system will be locked down to 21 countries initially, with some fairly important markets missing, including all of Africa, Asia, as well as Japan, a country so video game crazy that Space Invaders' 1978 caused a coin shortage in the entire country. All games will have to be purchased in your home country and the system can only be used in your home country (this likely means no travel between Canada and the U.S. with it). When Microsoft was challenged with what that meant for soldiers stationed overseas on R&R time, or in the Navy on a connection-less submarine, Microsoft's answer was a smug "We have a system for [you], it's called the Xbox 360 [the system they released 7 years ago]". (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...alled-xbox-360/)

All Xbox One consoles come with a Kinect, a camera that must be connected and pointed at your couch for the system to work. Microsoft took out a patent that leverages the technology to limit the number of people in your living room for pay per view events and the like. If your world cup party has too many people, it will either disable the signal or bill you, and the amount billed could be huge (like what sports bars pay). You can view the patent here: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...=DN/20120278904

Finally, it's likely that in the future, when the Xbox One's successor is released, Microsoft will take down the activation servers, once they've decided that they're no longer cost-effective to keep up and running. They've already done exactly this for their first Xbox, a few years after the Xbox 360 was released. (http://www.itworld.com/personal-tec...inal-xbox-games) These blatant money-grabbing anti-consumer tactics are in sharp contrast to Sony's, a region-free console that uses traditional discs. If you want to trade a game, all that has to happen is for the disc to change hands. That's all, the end. (A video demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA)

If you're wondering what happened with the Xbox 360's success, well, the short version is that Microsoft got lucky because Sony screwed up the PlayStation 3's launch. While it had a subscription fee, Microsoft's multiplayer services were unprecedented since the original Xbox's 2002 launch, and the PS3's version of the service, while free, was lacking in a lot of areas, especially since the Xbox and Xbox 360 simply had more people playing them (which is very important for multiplayer). Coming off the runaway success of PlayStations 1 and 2, Sony launched their system a year late at an incredibly high price point ($500-$600), mainly in an attempt to get Blu-ray into as many homes as possible to defeat the then-contender HD-DVD. While Blu-ray eventually won that war, it cost them some success in the video game world, which took an especially hard hit when their servers were compromised and many of their online services were disabled for several weeks. Sony did an amazing thing by pretty much admitting that they screwed up and were doing everything possible to make it right, which is unheard of for a corporation, especially one based in the notoriously face-saving Japanese culture (you can view their apology here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u8W784FTkw). Their services have improved by leaps and bounds, and they have caught up nicely. The Xbox 360 was only really successful in the U.S. and Canada, with many of its benefits being U.S.-only, something they don't appear to have learned from this time around. Their first units also had a failure rate so high that a class action was eventually leveraged against Microsoft for the design flaw.

Coupled with Windows 8, it's clear to me that Microsoft is management culture gone berserk, with the decision makers insulated by yes men and who think they can impose their will on the public, which you can also see with Windows 8 as they tried to impose their app store onto everyone (they wanted their cut the same way Apple gets theirs). I'll be sticking to Windows 7 outside of work, and my next laptop when the time comes will, despite the high cost, likely be a Mac.

If you have any questions about anything I've said, or any other computer/video game questions, let me know. Thank you!

To be fair, Microsoft did revoke the DRM the following day, so clearly it worked. :smug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

univbee posted:

To be fair, Microsoft did revoke the DRM the following day, so clearly it worked. :smug:

xbox

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

holy poo poo, piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

• Locked thread