Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
This actually happened last night. I am a nerd. (that TIE didn't get to celebrate his escape for very long)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FuSchnick posted:

This actually happened last night. I am a nerd. (that TIE didn't get to celebrate his escape for very long)

You have a green one as well, I hope :colbert:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

FuSchnick posted:

Please say he barrel rolled to get there. :allears:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

You can attach focus to an FCS too because it's after the first attack, not an action itself. If you can maintain arc on your target, FCS is strictly better than Predator. Granted, in a B-Wing that isn't always the case, but intelligent flying can put it to some drat good use.

Yeah, but unless you're also cramming Gunner on there, you don't get that TL reroll until the next turn. So you're balancing one attack with focus and a second attack with TL + Focus against 2 attacks with 1 reroll plus focus on each, with a chance for a second reroll on each. Not saying FCS is bad, it's good, especially with things that can make 2 attacks, but I think Predator is generally stronger and more easily used.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Today, I took:

Leebo + Determination, Chewbacca

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors, Push the Limit

Jake Farrell + Push the Limit

Farlander got blown up pretty quickly, which sucked because I didn't have time to really test him out. Also, if you have no Focus icons, can you still spend his stress token?

Jake Farrell was pretty awesome though. I was able to stay at range 1 of my opponents Dash + HLC and Outlander, and just dump damage onto it. Unfortunately, I critted off the HLC early enough to end up letting Dash do enough damage to make Jake easy pickins for the two A-Wings my opponent also brought.

I'm sad that my Leebo combo never got to trigger.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Today, I took:

Leebo + Determination, Chewbacca

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors, Push the Limit

Jake Farrell + Push the Limit

Farlander got blown up pretty quickly, which sucked because I didn't have time to really test him out. Also, if you have no Focus icons, can you still spend his stress token?

Jake Farrell was pretty awesome though. I was able to stay at range 1 of my opponents Dash + HLC and Outlander, and just dump damage onto it. Unfortunately, I critted off the HLC early enough to end up letting Dash do enough damage to make Jake easy pickins for the two A-Wings my opponent also brought.

I'm sad that my Leebo combo never got to trigger.

That's a pretty funky combo and I might have to copy it at some point for shits. Regarding Farlander, the Rule of Garven says you don't need focus results or even roll attack dice at all to spend focus tokens. By the same logic, the only limitation of Farlander's ability is the base trigger, "When attacking".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also, if you have no Focus icons, can you still spend his stress token?

You can spend focus tokens without having the Focus action, and in any case he's specifically "removing 1 stress token" to change the dice results.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm seeing talk on the FFG forums about the merits of the Black Squadron Pilot with either Predator or Outmaneuver. Interestingly enough, a close comparison to this setup is the much-maligned Alpha Squadron Pilot. I'm really not going to get into the detailed strengths and weaknesses for both, I think that it's really interesting because historically the ASP has fared pretty poorly due to being caught somewhere between a low PS blocker and a barrel-rolling flanker, but being able to do neither well. The BSP+Pred/Outmaneuver also kind of fits this pseudo blocker/shooter land too, being too expensive and PS4 to block effectively while only bringing the same firepower as an Interceptor under certain conditions.

The Alpha Squadron Pilot is still my favorite pilot because I like the artwork and I think it can work under certain conditions, it's certainly something to consider.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

After some playtesting last night I think I like the Falcon A B list suggested here. I was surprised with two new ships when I got home from work so I have the Ion Pulse and the Munitions failsafe cards now. I'm not sure what to do with the last three points though. Should I keep the Ion cannon on the B or swap it for some other upgrade? Right now my list looks like this;

Chewie + Gunner
Green Squad + Ion Pulse + PTL + MFS
Blue Squad + FCS + Ion Cannon

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, in my ongoing crusade to abuse Green Squadron, toying with whether Expose can be playable at 4 points and Green's ability as the only unnamed pilot to get two EPT's...

How does anyone feel about using this, over & over:

Green Squadron Pilot (24)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Expose (4), Push the Limit (3)

A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Expose (4), Push the Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Ruthlessness (3), Push the Limit (3)

The core concept being you have PtL A-Wings that can on demand turn themselves into X-Wings, in terms of Firepower/Agility. Get in close, dogfight around with Boost, and abuse the PtL Action to always have Evade or Focus until you line up a good shot, then Expose to get the extra Firepower.

E: Obviously, you can interchange the Expose/Ruthlessness with your combination of Predator, Ruthlessness or Outmanoeuvre, depending on your personal preference, I can't decide which at this pointt.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 22, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ruthlessness is Imperial only
edit: for content, not too into Expose, still. Rather do Predator or Outmaneuver

alg fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 22, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think I'd rather take Outmaneuver instead, honestly. Doesn't eat an action and you should generally not be in arcs with PtL A-Wings I'd imagine. TL + Focus and -1 Agility to the target is probably better than +1 dice and only TL or Focus, but someone should check on that.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

I think I'd rather take Outmaneuver instead, honestly. Doesn't eat an action and you should generally not be in arcs with PtL A-Wings I'd imagine. TL + Focus and -1 Agility to the target is probably better than +1 dice and only TL or Focus, but someone should check on that.

Two focused dice is better than three unfocused dice, before you even take into account anything else.

Odds of two hits with two focused dice is about 56%
Odds of two or more hits on three unfocused dice is exactly 50%

Edit for more numbers:

Odds of two hits with two focused, TL'ed dice is about 95%
Odds of two or more hits with 3 focused dice is about 84%
Odds of two or more hits with 3 target locked dice is about 89%

Edit-edit: I may be handling target locks incorrectly in the inputs to my binomial probability calculator, I might be wrong.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 22, 2014

tovarich
Feb 28, 2001

overdesigned posted:

Two focused dice is better than three unfocused dice, before you even take into account anything else.

Odds of two hits with two focused dice is about 56%
Odds of two or more hits on three unfocused dice is exactly 50%

Edit for more numbers:

Odds of two hits with two focused, TL'ed dice is about 95%
Odds of two or more hits with 3 focused dice is about 84%
Odds of two or more hits with 3 target locked dice is about 89%

Edit-edit: I may be handling target locks incorrectly in the inputs to my binomial probability calculator, I might be wrong.
I couldn't figure out a closed form for the way target locks and focus interact. Simulation to the rescue!

Edited to answer the original question:

A-Wing w/ Outmaneuver, Focus, TL vs TIE Fighter

quote:

Ran 100000 simulations with...
Attacker has 2 dice, focus, target lock
Defender has 2 dice, no focus, no evade

Avg Damage: 1.14

*** Damage histogram ***
0 (20.1%): ##########
1 (45.9%): ######################
2 (34.0%): #################

*** Crit histogram ***
0 (76.1%): ######################################
1 (22.9%): ###########
2 (1.0%) :

A-Wing w/ Expose, TL vs TIE Fighter

quote:

Attacker has 3 dice, no focus, target lock
Defender has 3 dice, no focus, no evade

Avg Damage: 1.22

*** Damage histogram ***
0 (27.9%): #############
1 (33.1%): ################
2 (28.7%): ##############
3 (10.3%): #####

*** Crit histogram ***
0 (63.5%): ###############################
1 (31.3%): ###############
2 (5.0%) : ##
3 (0.1%) :

A-Wing w/ Expose, Focus vs TIE Fighter

quote:

Attacker has 3 dice, focus, no target lock
Defender has 3 dice, no focus, no evade

Avg Damage: 1.22

*** Damage histogram ***
0 (27.7%): #############
1 (33.2%): ################
2 (28.9%): ##############
3 (10.3%): #####

*** Crit histogram ***
0 (73.6%): ####################################
1 (24.0%): ###########
2 (2.4%) : #

tovarich fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 22, 2014

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

tovarich posted:

I couldn't figure out a closed form for the way target locks and focus interact. Simulation to the rescue!

Edited to answer the original question:

A-Wing w/ Outmaneuver, Focus, TL vs TIE Fighter

A-Wing w/ Expose, TL vs TIE Fighter

A-Wing w/ Expose, Focus vs TIE Fighter

Your first case has the defender with 2 dice instead of 3 like the others. Not sure if that's a cosmetic thing or not, but I know that rolling 0 hits with focus and target lock on 2 dice only has about a 1.5% chance, so I assume your histograms do factor in the defense rolls.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

So, in my ongoing crusade to abuse Green Squadron, toying with whether Expose can be playable at 4 points and Green's ability as the only unnamed pilot to get two EPT's...

How does anyone feel about using this, over & over:

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Ruthlessness (3), Push the Limit (3)

The core concept being you have PtL A-Wings that can on demand turn themselves into X-Wings, in terms of Firepower/Agility. Get in close, dogfight around with Boost, and abuse the PtL Action to always have Evade or Focus until you line up a good shot, then Expose to get the extra Firepower.

E: Obviously, you can interchange the Expose/Ruthlessness with your combination of Predator, Ruthlessness or Outmanoeuvre, depending on your personal preference, I can't decide which at this pointt.

That looks awesome, and I'm probably going to play something similar once Rebel Aces is out. I do feel like I'd want a tank though, since the Greens will likely go down pretty quickly if caught in focused fire. Here's what I'm probably going to run:

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (23)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Predator (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (23)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Predator (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (26)
B-Wing (22), B-Wing/E2 (1), C-3PO (3)

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
For any of those in the UK in Kent, Xpress games in Canterbury is holding its 100pt tournament this morning from 11am onwards. This is hopefully going to become a regular thing. Come on down if you want to get your hands on some sweet sweet alt art cards and make laser noises in a room with other dudes and ladies.

:smugdog:

I likely should have pointed this out far in advance as some local goons have said, but turns out someone has to organise this thing, and it turns out that it seems to be me. If there is any interest in the thread about this do please leave a reply or drop me a PM so I can get a feel for numbers, just to see if we've any local players who'd be interested.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone know when they expect a reprint of the Y-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Slave 1, and Falcon? The stars aligned, my wife said she'd play, and I can do overtime at will so now I am planning to have at least one of each expansion, but the Y, A, and Interceptor are priced high as poo poo due to them being out of stock anywhere reasonable.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know when they expect a reprint of the Y-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Slave 1, and Falcon? The stars aligned, my wife said she'd play, and I can do overtime at will so now I am planning to have at least one of each expansion, but the Y, A, and Interceptor are priced high as poo poo due to them being out of stock anywhere reasonable.

Have you checked Barnes and Noble nearby? Mine had most of these in stock last time i was in.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Feeple posted:

Have you checked Barnes and Noble nearby? Mine had most of these in stock last time i was in.

I haven't, but mainly because gas is expensive and we're looking at retail (15?) + cost of gas vs internet (10) and no gas cost if I buy enough to get free shipping. I suppose if that's the option I have though, I guess I'll eat that.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

signalnoise posted:

I haven't, but mainly because gas is expensive and we're looking at retail (15?) + cost of gas vs internet (10) and no gas cost if I buy enough to get free shipping. I suppose if that's the option I have though, I guess I'll eat that.

They have a website with their stock, you don't have to leave your chair to look.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Sarcophallus posted:

They have a website with their stock, you don't have to leave your chair to look.

I don't think B&N tracks their individual expansion stock online.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Ville Valo posted:

I don't think B&N tracks their individual expansion stock online.

All their stores have telephones, though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

signalnoise posted:

Are you in continental US?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finally get to play this game again.

Jan Ors has a neat ability and I was thinking of bringing some z-95s with cluster missiles to use it. I was looking at ways to mitigate the horde of stress tokens that Jan will get and then thought "why bother?". The HWK's red maneuvers are all poo poo and his ability isn't Action based, so why should I care how many stress tokens he gets?

Here's a funky list:

100 points

Jan Ors
Ion Cannon Turret
30 points

Green Squadron Pilot
Push the Limit
22 points

Bandit Squadron Pilot x3
Cluster Missiles
48 points

pbpancho posted:

Because as long as she's stressed she can't take stress to boost an attack...

Ah drat, I missed the "if you have no stress tokens part"...

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 23, 2014

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Finally get to play this game again.

Jan Ors has a neat ability and I was thinking of bringing a couple z-95s with cluster missiles to use it. I was looking at ways to mitigate the horde of stress tokens that Jan will get and then thought "why bother?". The HWK's red maneuvers are all poo poo and his ability isn't Action based, so why should I care how many stress tokens he gets?

Because as long as she's stressed she can't take stress to boost an attack...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg posted:

Are you in continental US?

Yes

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If I can find an exact list of each piece that comes with each kit, I'll sell you used A/Y/TIE I for 15 bux + shipping total. I have extras and I'm willing to help a goon out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg posted:

If I can find an exact list of each piece that comes with each kit, I'll sell you A/Y/TIE I for 15 bux + shipping total. I have extras and I'm willing to help a goon out.

I will PM you

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Okay well screw the HWK, what about this list?

=====================
Etahn's Missile Party
=====================

100 points

Pilots
------

"Dutch" Vander (32)
Y-Wing (23), Proton Torpedoes (4), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Etahn A’baht (36)
E-Wing (32), R2 Astromech (1), Push the Limit (3)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (16)
Z-95 Headhunter (12), Cluster Missiles (4)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (16)
Z-95 Headhunter (12), Cluster Missiles (4)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

If I can find an exact list of each piece that comes with each kit, I'll sell you used A/Y/TIE I for 15 bux + shipping total. I have extras and I'm willing to help a goon out.

For the record, the X-wing wikia has a breakdown of the contents of every expansion pack:

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Y-Wing_Expansion_Pack
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/A-Wing_Expansion_Pack
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Interceptor_Expansion_Pack

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I have that, but I need to see the tokens listed. BGG has TIE/I and Y-Wing but not A-Wing.

edit: got my GenCon stuff just as I was packing up signalnoise's stuff.

can't fuckin wait to fly that YT-2400

alg fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 23, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I ended up running 24 hours worth of Star Wars RPG dev games for FFG at GenCon, and in addition to my badge and room being covered, I made a ton of store credit bux with which I'll be buying all the tiny plastic spaceships and probably pre-ordering Armada.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg is a really cool dude thanks alg

alg
Mar 14, 2007

signalnoise posted:

alg is a really cool dude thanks alg

It's cool dude, a goon gets some new ships without stressin his wife out amd I make room for Rebel Aces / scum :getin:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Played a few games now. It's really fun and it's not even that expensive either.

Love the A-Wing and the E-Wing. Not too sure about the B-Wing but I haven't really tried out torps/missiles/secondary weapons yet. I figure I'll get an X-Wing and the Rebel Aces pack and that will be it for the Rebel side. Thinking one of those VT-49s and a bunch of cheap Tie Fighters would make for a fun Imperial fleet to play.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
You don't really need to look too hard into missiles and torpedoes; they have a really hard time pulling their weight. Ion cannons and Heavy Laser cannons and be pretty good, but even without them the B-Wing is a monster.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I personally love missiles and torpedoes. I'm under no illusions that they're good, but I love using them. Especially on B-Wings and TIE Bombers that can take an EPT. Push the Limit to TL and Focus is practically a guaranteed five hits. That may or may not be worth six points, but it's a drat good shot to take out a TIE Fighter or Interceptor in one hit.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I won a store tournament today! Only 6 players, but I went 3-0 and blanked my third-round opponent 100-0.

I flew:
Han Solo + Predator + C-3P0 + Engine Upgrade + Millennium Falcon
Tarn Mison + R7 Astromech + Flechette Torpedo
Bandit Squadron + Ion Pulse Missile

First round was up against
Whisper + Vet Instinct + Adv. Cloaking
Omicron Group Pilot + Engine Upgrade + Fire Control System
Black Squadron + Predator
Black Squadron + Predator

I got Han bumped nose-to-nose with Whisper on the first turn of combat, and Whisper stayed stuck there for three full turns until he went down. OGP kept hammering at Han who died the turn after Whisper, but not after putting some hurt on said OGP. It came down to shieldless OGP and one Black Squadron vs a full-health Tarn Mison, who got his time to shine late-game and took them both out.

Second round was up against a near mirror-match:
Han Solo + Luke Skywalker + Navigator + Millennium Falcon
Tarn Mison + R7 Astromech
Tala Squadron Pilot + Ion Pulse Missile

My X and Z got their munitions off on enemy Han, and got him put on the run before his X and Z could really get in the game. He focused fire on my smaller ships while I worked on his Han, who went down almost simultaneously with my X and Z, and I was able to mop up his smaller ships with my mostly-undamaged Han.

Third round was up against:
Wedge Antilles
Airen Cracken + Outmaneuver
Dagger Squadron
Dagger Squadron

I was able to isolate his X and Z somewhat thanks to asteroids, and also managed to boost my Falcon behind and around said X and Z such that only Wedge was able to get a single range-3 shot on him, and immediately started laying waste with range-1 Han shots. That was pretty killer. Wedge put up a hell of a fight, even after getting double-stressed by flechettes and a crit, but I got him killed and Airen followed shortly thereafter. At that point my Z was at 1HP so I just got him out of the combat zone and took down the B's with Tarn and Han.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I, too, played a tournament today. I went 3-1, which is way better than I thought I would do. I lost to a triple phantom build that because of my misplay just erased Chewie.

The build, which was stolen from here, was:

Chewie + Gunner
Green Squad with PtL and Cluster Missiles
Dagger Squad with Advanced Sensors.

I almost always forgot to use the drat missiles, so I might give Outmaneuver to the Dagger or engine upgrade to Chewbacca. I also only used the Gunner twice, but it was due to my opponent either figuring out 1 damage isn't too bad compared to a new re-roll, or just good dice. The times he got used were gold, though.

Man, Phantoms are scary! Surprised I don't see them with a Captive more often.

• Locked thread