Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Welcome to D&D, come for the tedious arguments, stay for the unvarnished racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

Welcome to D&D, come for the tedious arguments, stay for the unvarnished racism
What do you mean "unvarnished?" That is some practiced, polished, professional racism right there. That's fine rich mahogany racism, or at least a decent oak. It's no particle board. It definitely has varnish.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

What do you mean "unvarnished?" That is some practiced, polished, professional racism right there. That's fine rich mahogany racism, or at least a decent oak. It's no particle board. It definitely has varnish.

Sometimes it can be charmingly paternalistic, other times hostile and aggressive - you know I'm talking about inlays here, people. We're making variation present in this racism.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 24, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mahogany? What's wrong with you? Birch only.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

on the left posted:

A good portion of America genuinely feels that Officer Wilson did nothing wrong.
By the admission of some Wilson supporters yesterday, they more accurately believe that a thief should be shot dead.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

KernelSlanders posted:

Rich, corinthian racism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i am harry posted:

By the admission of some Wilson supporters yesterday, they more accurately believe that a thief should be shot dead.
"Sharia Law? No way, we hate it! It coddles criminals by just cutting off a hand!" -- Wilson supporters

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Sharia Law? No way, we hate it! It coddles criminals by just cutting off a hand!" -- Wilson supporters

only applies to blacks and other untermenschen, our precious white children are incapable of being malicious, they just make mistakes

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
You only need one hand to steal a handful of swishers. Executing criminals is the only way to be sure they wont do it again. Seems perfectly rational to me.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

on the left posted:

I haven't been able to find any answer on how many bullets he fired. It doesn't matter how many the officer used though, he'd be justified in dumping the magazine to stop an advancing threat.

ETA: The examiner made a comment about how the officer shouldn't have shot so many times, is what I was referring to.
From the NYT article awhile back, we can surmise that at least 8 shots were fired.
1 was fired in the car.
1 or more were fired while Brown was running away.
6 struck Brown.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love "college leftists" as an insult because it reveals the reactionaries' disdain of education and learning.

"Can't trust that one folks, he reads them books that got all sorts of funny ideas in 'em. Now me, I learned from the school of the Real World, sitting at my great-grandpappy's knee listening to him tell how a black boy'll stab you the second you turn yer back" :clint:

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

on the left posted:

What must your worldview be like to think that the only reason someone could think the way I do is to rile up a bunch of college leftists? People are able to have ideas that differ from your own, that's the point of democracy. A good portion of America genuinely feels that Officer Wilson did nothing wrong.

Personally I think the shooting was part of a lovers quarrel, Brown and Wilson were probably had a secret but genuine and intense romance and Brown had jilted Wilson in some way. This is consistent with Wilson stopping Brown for the minor crime of jaywalking. It also explains how Brown may have ran away but turned back on an armed officer after being 30 feet away-he realized his true feelings and turned to race towards Wilson and embrace him, realizing that the social consequences of admitting his love could never hurt as much as the gaping hole in his heart would should he ignore his feelings. Wilson, in a fit of panic and irrational anger combined with the fear of some of his other officers (who we now know were homophobic to the point of endorsing violence) fired on Brown in a irrational attempt to protect himself from both the consequences of their relationship as well as his true feelings. This was not a tragedy of racism but instead a Shakespearean one, like to Othello or some stupid poo poo like that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Saw all of the new posts and reports of the police doing ~something~ and feared the worst, luckily it was just everyone getting trolled all night.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Personally I think the shooting was part of a lovers quarrel, Brown and Wilson were probably had a secret but genuine and intense romance and Brown had jilted Wilson in some way. This is consistent with Wilson stopping Brown for the minor crime of jaywalking. It also explains how Brown may have ran away but turned back on an armed officer after being 30 feet away-he realized his true feelings and turned to race towards Wilson and embrace him, realizing that the social consequences of admitting his love could never hurt as much as the gaping hole in his heart would should he ignore his feelings. Wilson, in a fit of panic and irrational anger combined with the fear of some of his other officers (who we now know were homophobic to the point of endorsing violence) fired on Brown in a irrational attempt to protect himself from both the consequences of their relationship as well as his true feelings. This was not a tragedy of racism but instead a Shakespearean one, like to Othello or some stupid poo poo like that.

:golfclap: Holy poo poo, and still more plausible than many of the theories posted here.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

:golfclap: Holy poo poo, and still more plausible than the official explanation.

Fixed that for you

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Today's paper:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Here in Hawaii most of the police is locals (not haoles like me) at least. I don't know if that makes a difference in the quality of interactions with citizens, but it at least makes things not appear as lopsided as that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Neo Duckberg posted:

Who would have thought that despite vigorous protesting nothing would change...

I know right? The Montgomery Bus Boycott was resolved in what, a day or two?

Kilty Monroe posted:

So, as of right now, is the "charging" account of Brown's shooting part of the official police version of events, or has it always been something just passed around by racist idiots believing it was official?

Aren't those the same people?

edit

KernelSlanders posted:

loving :golfclap: right here.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 24, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I have pushed people before. Guess I need to be gunned down in the name of public safety

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

No way. NO loving way.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

No way. NO loving way.

You have faith in humanity? Shameful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

No way. NO loving way.

I wouldn't doubt that someone in the crowd was saying that.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

No way. NO loving way.

How many Americans have you met? That is TOTALLY possible.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Michael Brown's funeral is tomorrow, the brown family is asking for no protests as well. I'm almost done with the documentary, I was thinking about releasing it tomorrow but I think I will wait until Tuesday for the family.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I hope someone got those "shoot shoot shoot" on camera :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I love "college leftists" as an insult because it reveals the reactionaries' disdain of education and learning.

"Can't trust that one folks, he reads them books that got all sorts of funny ideas in 'em. Now me, I learned from the school of the Real World, sitting at my great-grandpappy's knee listening to him tell how a black boy'll stab you the second you turn yer back" :clint:

Yeah that's funny, given the white american cynicism and hatred of large government that they think its solely in the purview of college leftists and rioting blacks to distrust and dislike the police, as if the cops were totally welcome in chinatowns and koreatowns etc. either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Peven Stan posted:

Yeah that's funny, given the white american cynicism and hatred of large government that they think its solely in the purview of college leftists and rioting blacks to distrust and dislike the police, as if the cops were totally welcome in chinatowns and koreatowns etc. either.

You forgot that to those guys, the Chinese and Koreans are "slant-eyed shifty thieves."

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Samurai Sanders posted:

Here in Hawaii most of the police is locals (not haoles like me) at least. I don't know if that makes a difference in the quality of interactions with citizens, but it at least makes things not appear as lopsided as that.

In the UK any situation where things are likely to get tasty involves totally different police than those who regularly work in the area being drafted in. The assumed wisdom is that local officers might hesitate to put the baton in, no idea if that's fully the reason but it passes the smell test.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Has someone already posted the wapo story about how the killer officer's previous job was at a police department that had to be shut down due to extreme racism?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vitamin P posted:

In the UK any situation where things are likely to get tasty involves totally different police than those who regularly work in the area being drafted in. The assumed wisdom is that local officers might hesitate to put the baton in, no idea if that's fully the reason but it passes the smell test.

From what I understand, the UK police are viewed by the public (and in turn view the public) much differently than in the United States. Here, there's a general "gently caress the police" attitude almost anywhere you go even among law-abiding citizens because of the rampant abuse and corruption, as well as the tendency for the cops to draw their guns as a first resort and shoot tons of unarmed, unthreatening people. The cops do that because they're taught to treat every suspect as potentially a violent lunatic about to murder everyone around them to get out of arrest (people love to bring up the prevalence of armed criminals in the US to justify that fear, but statistically an officer is pretty unlikely to get shot during the day).

British police aren't really treated that way at all, nor are you especially likely to be walking down the street with your hands in your pockets and get screamed at and gunned down for looking too shifty and dark-skinned.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Has someone already posted the wapo story about how the killer officer's previous job was at a police department that had to be shut down due to extreme racism?

Also that the GoFundMe for Wilson was setup directly by the Ferguson PD.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vitamin P posted:

It is true that I sometimes hear stories of corruption here that seem related to the police being very close to the citizens. A while ago an officer was disciplined for telling a shop owner to hire a private security guy (who was his friend) rather than calling the police. I guess there's a happy medium to be found there somewhere.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

All you guys were saying that conservatives don't want to fund police departments, which is clearly wrong. They just want to be able to incentivize good behavior.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

From the NYT article awhile back, we can surmise that at least 8 shots were fired.
1 was fired in the car.
1 or more were fired while Brown was running away.
6 struck Brown.

The one fired while brown was running away may also have been one of the ones that struck brown. There are some accounts that suggest he was hit, then turned around to surrender.

Also, do we know where the shot that went off in the car hit? It seems like that location should pretty clearly either support or contradict the "he reached for the gun" story.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I'm pretty damned sure the other witnesses said Brown tried to surrender and never mentioned "charging".

Being shot 3-4 times made him angry, and you wouldn't like him when he's angry...

i am harry posted:

They must love Rand Paul's platform of killing people who rob liquor stores with a predator drone.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

like I get that a lot of internet nerds are terrified of physical contact but "pushed a guy once" is not sufficient qualification to be named a Menace to Society

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Every single witness account (all independently of each other, not people who know each other or discussed the story beforehand) said that Brown ran away and then surrendered before being killed. The "he hulked out and charged" thing comes from an anonymous source that claims to have heard it as the official police record, and it's being repeated without corroboration.

Any time you try to point out to a Wilson supporter that the story goes against all witness accounts and doesn't match the autopsy report, they ironically say "We don't have enough information to confirm that."

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

From what I understand, the UK police are viewed by the public (and in turn view the public) much differently than in the United States. Here, there's a general "gently caress the police" attitude almost anywhere you go even among law-abiding citizens because of the rampant abuse and corruption, as well as the tendency for the cops to draw their guns as a first resort and shoot tons of unarmed, unthreatening people. The cops do that because they're taught to treat every suspect as potentially a violent lunatic about to murder everyone around them to get out of arrest (people love to bring up the prevalence of armed criminals in the US to justify that fear, but statistically an officer is pretty unlikely to get shot during the day).

British police aren't really treated that way at all, nor are you especially likely to be walking down the street with your hands in your pockets and get screamed at and gunned down for looking too shifty and dark-skinned.

I've tried to make this point repeatedly in the police reform thread, but it's not really corruption that's the problem. Police departments do take corruption very seriously and will prosecute police who attempt to enrich themselves either from the department itself or members of the community. Rather the problem is abuse of police power through unjustified violence on people in the community (often, but not exclusively minorities) and bending/breaking rules to secure more fines or civil forfeitures that enrich police departments or other convictions that make the departments look good that the police as an institution encourage and protect their officers from repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PupsOfWar posted:

like I get that a lot of internet nerds are terrified of physical contact but "pushed a guy once" is not sufficient qualification to be named a Menace to Society

This 84 year old man could've easily killed or seriously maimed dozens of officers with his shove so it makes sense to beat the poo poo out of him

• Locked thread