Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
AnyBody else use a Falcon in a tournament today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Otterspace posted:

AnyBody else use a Falcon in a tournament today?

Yep. went 1-0 drop and started daydrinking

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I did! I used Chewie in a tournament today and went 2-0 to win (only 4 people showed up). I ran:

45 - Chewbacca + Predator
43 - Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + R2-D2
12 - Bandit Squadron Pilot

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Phantoms OP, YT-1300 okay

susan
Jan 14, 2013
So I bit the bullet and bought the starter set for this today. Any general advice for next purchases, and/or general newbie advice? I do have extensive Warmachine experience and some old BFG experience too, so I'm not exactly new to mini-gaming, but this is a whole new genre for me to be dipping my toe in to. I have no idea if I'll be focusing on the Imperials or the Rebels yet.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

susan posted:

So I bit the bullet and bought the starter set for this today. Any general advice for next purchases, and/or general newbie advice? I do have extensive Warmachine experience and some old BFG experience too, so I'm not exactly new to mini-gaming, but this is a whole new genre for me to be dipping my toe in to. I have no idea if I'll be focusing on the Imperials or the Rebels yet.

Buy a Falcon win games

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

susan posted:

Buy an Interceptor and an X or Y or A wing and play some 50 point games.

But frankly go with what you think is cool. A lot of people get two starters for 2 X wings, 4 Ties, 2 sets of all the templates.

I bought in wanting to do Imperials, but I've ended up focusing on rebels purely by picking up an ebay lot and ending up with 5 rebel ships of varying types to allow me to play a fairly varied rebel force (2 X, Y, A, E), whereas for my Imperials is 5 Ties, Int, Advanced, Defender and a Firespray. I thinks Imps tend more towards multiples of the same ship, though once my next order comes in and I pick up Rebel Aces I can do XXBB, AABB, XXAA, while I'll still be wanting to pick up Imperial Aces and another Interceptor to do 4 Ints.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So this weekend was a LAN party for me and I decided to bring along my X-Wing collection for shiggles. Managed to get a bunch of folks into the game, and had a lot of fun. Best thing about X-WIng is how simple the rules are when compared to, say, Warhammer - we caught the attention of some of the visitors to the LAN, one girl started watching us about halfway through the first demo game. Asked smart questions, followed along, and when she asked to join in with the next play she actually did pretty well - which is a pretty dang good thing when you consider that she herself stated she wasn't really much of a gamer or a SW fan. Many dice were rolled, many laughs were had, many plastic little spaceships shot down.

Bumper kiss! Alternatively, love can bloom.. on a battlefield.. in a galaxy far far away..

She and her friend seemed highly entertained by us managing to accidentally arrange our ships vaguely suggestively..

For a given definition of 'entertained'...

susan posted:

General newbie advice:
*The biggest/most common mistake newbies make is how focus works. Using a focus token after a roll changes ALL your eye results oin that roll into successes (evasions on green dice, regular noncritical damage on red dice), not just one.
*For imperials, unshielded TIEs (fighters, interceptors, bombers) live and die by not getting shot at - they have high evasion but the utter lack of shielding means any shot at them is potential critical damage. Use your speed and mobility to your advantage, -especially- barrel roll. You can position the 1-straight maneuver template in any way you like, as long as the whole width of the end touches plastic - and the base of the TIE may then be positioned in any way of the like as long as, again, the whole width of the other end of the 1-straight template touches plastic. In other words, you can use a barrel roll to not only move sideways, but sidle yourself about half a base's length worth forwards or backwards while at it - very convenient for slipping in and out of firing arcs. Yes TIEs have three defense dice, four at range 3, but the best defense is not being in a position where they can even try shooting at you. Especially the standard 2-offence TIEs rely on using their mobility to get up close to the enemy and boost that dinky 2-point attack into a more respectable 3 with close range bonuses.
*For rebels, it's often very tempting to put ALL those wargear slots into use, but oftentimes you're better served by taking more bodies/bodies with better pilot skill. Missiles and torpedoes can be a powerful alpha punch but have trouble pulling their other weight otherwise - the more recent expansions are working on mitigating this, but you're still often served best by just picking up an elite skill or a droid upgrade or similar. In general you'll only want to pick up an upgrade or two per ship - something like a Y-wing or a B-wing loaded up the wazoo with secondary weapons and torpedoes is a huge target that tends to get everybody on the other team shooting at it first.

Purchase advice:
*Consider getting a second core box. A second set of movement templates and dice makes the game run more smoothly, and 2 X-Wings and 4 TIEs are a solid core to either army. You also get the whole bunch for actually cheaper than if you purchased those ships separately, PLUS those dice, tokens, templates and damage cards. (I got lucky at the local mall and found a whole bunch of X-WIng starter boxes for half price - only downside being it's the Finnish translation. Picked one up anyways, I now have four XWings and 7 TIEs...)
*What I love about the X-wing approach to expansions is how each ship comes with variant pilots and upgrade cards; in Warhammer terms you get the rules and things you need to play special character versions of the basic ships you buy, plus wargear cards. Most wargear cards will function just as well on ships they didn't come with, so even if you end up buying one ship you don't find yourself playing much you can still get some use out of the pack. One touch I like is how if the ship comes with special abilities not covered with the basic rulebook (bombs, ion weapons, the boost and cloak abilities, the new upcoming S-loop maneuver) you also get a little cheat card with the rules for that mechanic on it. Very refreshing after years of GW games.
*The only 'poor' ship in the lineup, currently, is the HWK-290 - and even then it's usable, if suboptimal, as a dedicated support boat. Other than that there aren't really any pitfalls you could fall into - the A-Wing is perhaps a little overcosted for its price but very fast and nimble and is also getting a buff with the upcoming Rebel Aces pack. FFG is generally pretty good at balancing the game, so you can feel free to pick up pretty much anything that catches your eye and looks cool to you and be pretty sure it'll perform on the table.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'd say the HWK is more usable than the TIE Advanced, but that might be just because I expected more from the latter.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'd say the HWK is more usable than the TIE Advanced, but that might be just because I expected more from the latter.

I'd say that's definitely true, especially with Roark Garnet being a badass against Phantoms and TIE Advanced being a giant waste of points against everything.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, I'm still disappointed FFG didn't made Kyle Katarn the badass he is. My childhood! :argh:
I did have decent results with a Kyle in the Moldy Crow, funneling Focus to Garven, who funneled it then to Wedge. Though, I'm think of subbing Wedge for the PS6 B-Wing, because it's another fighter I'm very fond of.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The TIE Advanced is going to suck a little less once Rebel Aces hits and you can put Proton Rockets on it.

But only a little.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Who knows what S&V has in store for HWK290 :shobon:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I really want to like this game so much, and seeing Scum and Villainy as the new faction may be enough to get me to try again after my initial disappointment. I really want to mess around with the Starvipers and other new stuff.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

What were/are your initial disappointments?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What were/are your initial disappointments?

You honestly probably already addressed them a few months back, if you hit ? to see my posts in this thread. It may have been the guy I was playing with, or that we only had the core set and an extra X Wing and extra TIE fighter. We played several games, that went on extremely long and neither of us really managed to hurt each other. The TIE and X Wing seemed so balanced against each other than even getting up close, using focus, and doing as much as we could to shift the dice in our favor, it still felt like we were just flying in circles, rolling dice, and having nothing actually happen turn after turn. The last game we didn't even finish, but after forty five minutes of neither of us being able to shoot down even a single other ship, we called it quits.

It wasn't very exciting and after about 4 games over 2 weeks, I packed it up and haven't touched it since. I'm moving back to the US soon and might look at getting into it again. I can watch the Tabletop videos of X Wing, and read game reports and be psyched for it, but in practice it came off as really boring when I played with the Core.

I love Scum and Villainy though, so I am thinking of maybe getting Slave I and some other ships and try again with more variety/more ships and see if that helps things. I also really like the look of Armada, but I'm waiting to hear more about how it plays. Did they have any demos of it at Gencon or was it just showing off the product/models?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Gravy Train Robber posted:

You honestly probably already addressed them a few months back, if you hit ? to see my posts in this thread. It may have been the guy I was playing with, or that we only had the core set and an extra X Wing and extra TIE fighter. We played several games, that went on extremely long and neither of us really managed to hurt each other. The TIE and X Wing seemed so balanced against each other than even getting up close, using focus, and doing as much as we could to shift the dice in our favor, it still felt like we were just flying in circles, rolling dice, and having nothing actually happen turn after turn. The last game we didn't even finish, but after forty five minutes of neither of us being able to shoot down even a single other ship, we called it quits.

It wasn't very exciting and after about 4 games over 2 weeks, I packed it up and haven't touched it since. I'm moving back to the US soon and might look at getting into it again. I can watch the Tabletop videos of X Wing, and read game reports and be psyched for it, but in practice it came off as really boring when I played with the Core.

I love Scum and Villainy though, so I am thinking of maybe getting Slave I and some other ships and try again with more variety/more ships and see if that helps things. I also really like the look of Armada, but I'm waiting to hear more about how it plays. Did they have any demos of it at Gencon or was it just showing off the product/models?

Ah, right on, I can dig those complaints. As for Armada, there were a ton of demos of it at the FFG booth, but most of the game pieces were/are still in beta so anything could change. It looked rad, though. I didn't get a chance to play it sadly, since I was busy killing PCs over in the FFG game room.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

That's probably my biggest complaint about the stock game, too - combat can end up pretty 'swingy', where either ships pewpewpew at one another while doing no damage, unless the attacking player gets lucky and the defending ship gets unlucky and the ship gets oneshotted. The expansions, however, have refined the game, with tougher and more easy-to-hit ships like Y-wings, B-wings and pretty much all large ships, along with increased ways of making sure you get into those advantageous positions. Proper maneuvering also helps a lot - maneuvering into the range and angle for maximum damage is very, very deadly, but when you've got new players just trying the game out, yeah, you tend to end up with ships carouseling around one another and taking potshots at range 3.

Which is NOT to say 'learn to play, noob!', just an observation :)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

There's a couple demo videos from Gencon floating around. The Team Covenant one actually does a pretty good job at showing most of the mechanics and how the game plays, if you can ignore their babble. Looks pretty rad!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxO1t9wY10

This is the same guy who did one of the demos I played. He was super cool and put up with all my bullshit questions.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks guys :) ! Yeah, I'm strongly suspecting I'll pick up another starter pack shortly, and then maybe some random cool fighters here and there to fill things out.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I totes forgot about the TIE Advanced. Then again I kind of liked farting around with Vader and an Engine Upgrade for maximum hilarity.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

susan posted:

Thanks guys :) ! Yeah, I'm strongly suspecting I'll pick up another starter pack shortly, and then maybe some random cool fighters here and there to fill things out.

I just started recently as well and the A-Wing is really fun. I'd say just buy any fighter you think looks cool and go from there.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxO1t9wY10

This is the same guy who did one of the demos I played. He was super cool and put up with all my bullshit questions.

That's James, he's one of the Armada designers. He worked on X-Wing until after Wave 4 as well.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

overdesigned posted:

The TIE Advanced is going to suck a little less once Rebel Aces hits and you can put Proton Rockets on it.

But only a little.

I think Darth Vader is still the best use for the Advanced (x1). My original Wave 1 list was Vader, Mauler Mithel, Backstabber, Dark Curse and a Black Squadron Pilot (there were upgrades). And it actually worked really well, Vader could pass of free actions and Dark Curse was an annoying flanker. Maarek Stele suffers from a lack of attack dice and PS7, if you are going to trigger his ability it's going to be later in the game and really he's 2 points less than Vader so it's almost a no brainer.

The Storm Squadron Pilot probably should have an EPT, although it was a bit of a thing in Wave 1 where generics wouldn't get an EPT, the notable exception being the Black Squadron Pilot. I'll make it a challenge that the next list I make will actually have a TIE Advanced in it, and not Vader in the x1.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With Ion Pulse missiles out, the Advanced is probably one of the more effective ways to get those onto the field on the Imperial side. Bombers just die too easily.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really hope we get a Most Wanted style box for Imperials with more options for TIEs/Advanceds/Interceptors and an Avenger sculpt as an alt Advanced.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I want more Y-Wings.

Please. Just give me more Y-Wings.

Now that the game has branched out so much, I wonder if it might not be a good idea for FFG to release faction starter boxes that build on the core set. A Rebel faction starter box could be an X-Wing and two Y-Wings, with new cards for the Y-Wings at the very least. An Imperial one could have an Advanced and two Fighters with similarly new cards.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Strobe posted:

I want more Y-Wings.

Please. Just give me more Y-Wings.

Now that the game has branched out so much, I wonder if it might not be a good idea for FFG to release faction starter boxes that build on the core set. A Rebel faction starter box could be an X-Wing and two Y-Wings, with new cards for the Y-Wings at the very least. An Imperial one could have an Advanced and two Fighters with similarly new cards.
God I hope not, I'll have to sell more minis to make room

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I flew the Rear Admiral Chiraneau Decimator with Experimental Interface, Expose, and Mara Jade today. Getting into range one with that thing is terrifying. Some lucky pilot gets to be the recipient of five target-locked dice, with partial focus, and a stress. Ruins just about anybody's day.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Decimator is going to be great, soon I'll be able to fly around blast away super-mobile A-Wings regardless of firing arcs. Glorious.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I didn't do so well at this weekend's tournament. My first opponent did 3 Bs and Tarn, we went tit for tat for a while and then he ended up getting really good rolls the last two turns before time was up and killed 2 of my ships. I only managed to get one B wing down. My second brought a Falcon, a Y wing, And an E wing. He survived by the skin of his teeth. I focused fire on the Falcon and got it down to one hull. If I could'nt hit the falcon I focused on the Y and managed to get it down low too. The E had R2D2 and kept getting regen shields, but I only really shot at it once or twice since he didnt fly it too well and it never had any shots on me. So he managed to get one of my ships and I pumped out damage but never got a kill before time was up. I did shoot a really nice ion pulse rocket at his falcon when it was angled toward the table edge which would have forced it off the table but he rolled 1 focus die that gave him the evade. The third guy had shuttle spam and a firespray and my crappy piloting let me get boxed in and shot to pieces. I still had a blast and I can't wait for the next one. It made me want to keep trying new lists though. I saw some interesting things that did surprisingly well. I think I need to get more than one of each ship though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Flew Chewie/Dash tonight, HLC got critted away on the 3rd turn :negative:

I spent the rest of the game firing at a 1 hull Phantom and losing. Han/generic Outrider pilot it is.

Watched The Gate wipe the floor with a whiny manchild, though, which was worth it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Watched The Gate wipe the floor with a whiny manchild, though, which was worth it.

Oh man. I almost felt bad because his dice were pretty terrible, but drat.

In other news, Roark soloed 6 out of 8 HP on 2 A-Wings with his ion cannon (Blount helped by Ion Pulsing one and shooting an HP off the other)! Neither A-Wing was ever really able to maneuver, and since I caught them stressed from PtL, they also never really got to take actions. The first game I played I got steamrolled though, because I deployed bad and maneuvered bad. It was pretty terrible, but I am going to blame having not played any Rebel ships from wave 3 or 4 before. :colbert:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 26, 2014

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Played two games last night for our 8-week league we're running, one at 100 points and my first at 150 points. Since I brought back all the new shinys from GenCon our store owner/league runner said I could use them, so I threw together a bunch of new stuff just to get them on the table, unsure how they'd play. Here's the lists:

code:
99 Points

Keyan Farlander/B-Wing (29)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Flechette Torpedo (2)
Flechette Torpedo (2)
Push the Limit (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)
Kyle Katarn (3)

Eaden Vrill/YT-2400 Freighter (32)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Cluster Missiles (4)
R2-D2 (4)
Outrider (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

----------

149 points

As above, minus 1x Flechette Torpedo, plus:

Tycho Celchu/A-Wing (26)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)

Jake Farrell/A-Wing (24)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
I won both games, both against Imperial lists (100 point opponent was Krassis (FS), Bounty Hunter (FS), Omicron (Shuttle) all with Recon Specialist; 150 point opponent was Jendon (Shuttle), Jonus (Bomber), Krassis (FS) all decked out with a ton of upgrades I don't remember). The 2400/BWing component of the lists were especially fun to play, albeit complex to play well with all the various upgrades and powers available.

With Farlander, being able to activate, use Sensors to Focus, PtL for Target Lock, reveal a green maneuver to clear stress and then assign a 2nd Focus is amazing. I do wish I could also add an Engine Upgrade to it, but the slot is needed for the E2/Katarn additions.

The Outlander title + HLC made for some really interesting maneuvering decisions, where I had to continue pushing myself into range 2-3 to be able to fire. I took the missiles to have a one-time range-1 option, but opponents pushing themselves in close made things complicated, but really fun decision making all around. I thought maybe Anti-Pursuit Lasers would be worth adding, but not sure that hoping opponents actually end up overlapping would be more useful than just having the Boost action to add more distance.

I've been out of the thread for a couple weeks due to GenCon/general time away from stuff; anyone else come up with any stand out lists/combos with the new Rebel Aces/wave 5 stuff?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I really want something to try the autoblaster YT-2400 and report back myself.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll give it a whirl today, going to get some play in this afternoon.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Merauder posted:

With Farlander, being able to activate, use Sensors to Focus, PtL for Target Lock, reveal a green maneuver to clear stress and then assign a 2nd Focus is amazing. I do wish I could also add an Engine Upgrade to it, but the slot is needed for the E2/Katarn additions.

Why on Earth would you do this, when you can spend your stress token as a focus when you attack? :psyduck:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Strobe posted:

Why on Earth would you do this, when you can spend your stress token as a focus when you attack? :psyduck:

I'd rather have 2x Focus to potentially float for defending than 1x Stress to spend attacking and 1x Focus for defending. It often will come out the same way, except in the cases where you don't end up having to use Focus / don't roll any eyes when attacking.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Merauder posted:

I'd rather have 2x Focus to potentially float for defending than 1x Stress to spend attacking and 1x Focus for defending. It often will come out the same way, except in the cases where you don't end up having to use Focus / don't roll any eyes when attacking.

Kyle gives you the second focus whether you remove stress with a green or by removing it with Farlander's ability on an attack, so why do a green maneuver? Do a white, use the first focus for defense against a higher PS attack if you need it, then attack, use stress to activate Farlander, and get your second focus with Kyle for later defenses.

• Locked thread