Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Drifter posted:

And honestly, for people in this thread to be shocked that a lovely looking game has potentially raised a lot of money is laughable.

I think the more telling part of it being a scam is the amount they asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Found it

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gender-bender-dna-twister-extreme

Didn't make as much money as I thought, still a lot all things considered.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

About that Elysian Shadows KS, 13 people pledged $1000, 5 people pledged $5000. Knowing the trends in kickstarters, where even super high profile and fan pandering campaigns fail to get more than a tiny handful of $1k+ pledges, this has got to be totally faked. There's a whole slew of backers at various triple digit reward tiers, too. This just doesn't happen.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I have no idea what 24 Killers, but it's adorable and I'm glad that at this rate, it will definitely exist.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

About that Elysian Shadows KS, 13 people pledged $1000, 5 people pledged $5000. Knowing the trends in kickstarters, where even super high profile and fan pandering campaigns fail to get more than a tiny handful of $1k+ pledges, this has got to be totally faked. There's a whole slew of backers at various triple digit reward tiers, too. This just doesn't happen.

Not sure if it could yield THAT much support, but they do have almost 10,000 youtube subscribers who follow their 'making of' documentaries. I've seem them around Twitter here and there: https://www.youtube.com/user/GyroVorbis

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1945059142/elysian-shadows-next-gen-2d-rpg/#chart-daily

hahahaha, look at day 7. Average number of backers, but holy poo poo out of nowhere $24,000.

Plus the spikes the last few days when in most campaigns things cool down till the push at the end. I'm comparing this to all the projects I've backed and it looks like none of them. What a joke.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait, the Ouya Free the Games fund is still a thing??

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

I have no idea what 24 Killers, but it's adorable and I'm glad that at this rate, it will definitely exist.

Ummm... Earthbound on creepy acid?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

No Gravitas posted:

Ummm... Earthbound on creepy acid?

That's sort of implying that Earthbound wasn't already a creepy acid trip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Genocyber posted:

Found it

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gender-bender-dna-twister-extreme

Didn't make as much money as I thought, still a lot all things considered.

A lot of money for people who apparently desperately avoid drawing feet and avoid drawing hands as much as possible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of money for people who apparently desperately avoid drawing feet and avoid drawing hands as much as possible.

They're just keeping as true to the universe as possible, the characters can't see their feet, either.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

GrandpaPants posted:

That's sort of implying that Earthbound wasn't already a creepy acid trip.

Yeah, it looks like these guys just had a slightly creepier trip than the Earthbound guys. ... Slightly.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Wait, the Ouya Free the Games fund is still a thing??
It's still a thing because, seemingly, they still have a giant pile of money left-over and no one to give it to. Sending your game out as an OUYA exclusive is a bad idea for obvious reasons, and they're totally unwilling to negotiate other funding deals with the same money (a bunch of us have messaged them about alternative exclusive deals, yada - they're entirely inflexible).

So it's pretty much just a pot to be targeted by scammers at this point. It's kinda annoying to think how many actually-good indie games they could have just, you know, "funded" with that money in exchange for exclusives. That would have even made the timed exclusive bit reasonable, but, nope. They just wanted to hitch their wagon to other already-successful indie projects.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

It's still a thing because, seemingly, they still have a giant pile of money left-over and no one to give it to. Sending your game out as an OUYA exclusive is a bad idea for obvious reasons, and they're totally unwilling to negotiate other funding deals with the same money (a bunch of us have messaged them about alternative exclusive deals, yada - they're entirely inflexible).

So it's pretty much just a pot to be targeted by scammers at this point. It's kinda annoying to think how many actually-good indie games they could have just, you know, "funded" with that money in exchange for exclusives. That would have even made the timed exclusive bit reasonable, but, nope. They just wanted to hitch their wagon to other already-successful indie projects.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if its the venture capitalist is laundering his money through OUYA or something.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
And yet there's still people who will vehemently defend that worthless piece of crap.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Krabkolash posted:

What I don't get is how something like Hive Jump (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0) can struggle struggle and something like Elysian Shadows can succeed. Has there been coverage of it somewhere I've not heard of?

Hopefully the Hive Jump will get a push since they're gonna be at PAX.

Hive Jump needs to release the drat demo they floated to the press already.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Shalinor posted:

Didn't they modify the exclusivity though, so it can still be released on PCs? https://gigaom.com/2013/10/31/ouya-ceo-uhrman-we-were-too-naive-about-its-free-the-games-fund-trouble/ Actually that article doesn't mention the changes to exclusivity, but you can see it in the rules now:

quote:

http://www.freethegamesfund.com/rules.html
Game Developer is permitted to develop, market and sell a PC version of the Developed Game during the Exclusivity Period. Developer hereby agrees to release the Developed Game on the OUYA storefront prior to or on the same date as the commercial release of any PC version of the Developed Game.
I know Neverending Nightmares successfully used the program, and that game's going to be coming out on PC at the same time so it doesn't effect me at all.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 25, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Didn't they modify the exclusivity though, so it can still be released on PCs? https://gigaom.com/2013/10/31/ouya-ceo-uhrman-we-were-too-naive-about-its-free-the-games-fund-trouble/ Actually that article doesn't mention the changes to exclusivity, but you can see it in the rules now: http://www.freethegamesfund.com/rules.html

I know Neverending Nightmares successfully used the program, and that game's going to be coming out on PC at the same time so it doesn't effect me at all.
Neverending Nightmares was the one to get them to finally break down and modify the deal, yeah. It's still obnoxious enough to not really be worth attaching the "OUYA" name to your project, though, when the alternative is "pivot and release a PC-to-mobile console port in a few months" or "try for a Sony console deal" or "talk to Nintendo about 3DS." All of those are potentially BIG money, waaaay more than any matching funds you're likely to get, especially when weighed against the damage you do to your product's visibility by aligning its image with "OUYA" as far as customers are concerned.

There's definitely a range of budgets where the OUYA matching funds make sense, but if at all possible, it's a much better call to try and fund it yourself and leave those Sony / Nintendo / mobile / etc avenues open.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 25, 2014

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
The Confederate Express brothers have vanished from the apartment they were squatting.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/money/business/tourism/2014/08/20/airbnb-palm-springs-squatter/14362779/

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2014/08/21/airbnb-squatters-leave-palm-springs-condo/#25546101=0

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Gryphon Knight Epic has less than $1000 left to go with 5 days left. I'm excited to see this succeed because not only does it look like a well-executed game, but also the devs have been responsive as well. Suggested a change to their stretch goals presentation and they said they'd do it once they hit their main goal.

The Chroma Squad devs have been really great during Beta testing as well. They've done a good job listing to backers; they've even implemented stuff like UI changes and character abilities I've suggested.

For other people who have backed successful projects, what's been your experience with the team behind them? Who's contributed something cool to a game we could see if we check it out?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

God it feels like these guys would pop up some where else like cockroaches. I do wonder if Air BnB would try to sue them and force them into a court battle.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BexGu posted:

God it feels like these guys would pop up some where else like cockroaches. I do wonder if Air BnB would try to sue them and force them into a court battle.

Hope there are photos available of those two so others can make sure they don't let these guys into anything resembling an apartment again.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I'm still waiting to see if they keep updating their Kickstarter, or if that's just flat out dropped as a scam now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shalinor posted:

I'm still waiting to see if they keep updating their Kickstarter, or if that's just flat out dropped as a scam now.

Didn't they throw up an update going like "SO HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT THAT BNB EH" or something?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

AnonSpore posted:

Didn't they throw up an update going like "SO HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT THAT BNB EH" or something?

"10/10 would squat again" or something.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

AnonSpore posted:

I think it was a comment on a previous update along the lines if "A+ would squat again".

Was it ever confirmed that the brother is a real person and not just the same guy using an alias?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

I think it was a comment on a previous update along the lines if "A+ would squat again".

Was it ever confirmed that the brother is a real person and not just the same guy using an alias?

They were both in the Kickstarter video, weren't they?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Hope there are photos available of those two so others can make sure they don't let these guys into anything resembling an apartment again.

Oh yeah, there are photos of them floating around.

It's hard to say what AirBnB can or will do. They apparently dragged their feet this time, until the media got involved, and then they started throwing money at that poor woman hand over fist. If it happens again, that'll be a big black eye for the organization.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CatsPajamas posted:

The Chroma Squad devs have been really great during Beta testing as well. They've done a good job listing to backers; they've even implemented stuff like UI changes and character abilities I've suggested.

What ended up happening with all that Saban bullshit?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

It's not strictly a game, but rather a gaming convention. Kickstarter for the "GX: Everyone Games" convention the convention formerly known as GaymerX, is looking to host its third convention. GaymerX, as the name suggests, started as a convention for LGBT gamers, aiming to provide a safe space and give them some attention. It has since branched out to represent more generally marginalized demographics in computer games, both in terms of players, but also from what I understand putting focus on the diversity of content (or lack thereof) in games.

Last year they had to hold their last show, because it was becoming too expensive to host, but due to support from various developers (including Blizzard putting 100K into the pot), they are coming back again. They are looking to fund part of it via the Kickstarter I linked up there, with the KS being about 50% of the funds they need (the rest comes from sponsors).

I think that is a pretty noble thing to get behind.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think they've released an official word yet, but the latest version of the Beta included some very Power Rangers-esque sound effects, and there's a reference in game with someone sending you a letter saying you're stealing their ideas and they'll sue. Our main contact on the forums got flustered when new people registered on the forums just to complain/say they're burning down SABAN's HQ/etc. He said he wasn't allowed to release any information.

For the record, there's been I believe 3 or 4 new versions of the Beta since that update (current is 0.1.28), so it doesn't seem like Chroma Squad is having any development issues. It's my impression the initial update came across poorly due to language differences (dev team is Brazilian) - judging from the forum response it seems like it was meant in a more joking tone, which really didn't come across in the initial update. Considering things still seem to be proceeding smoothly I'm not worried about it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From what I understand from the original update SABAN had a talk with them about being too close to copyright BUT was willing to work with them. So SABAN gets a cut but Chrome Squad gets to use some Power Rangers type assets. All in all a pretty happy ending for Chrome Squad instead of either getting sued or have to fight a battle in court.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: Wrong thread :smith:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I really want to see the GLigeN64 graphics plugin succeed.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gliden64-graphics-plugin

As of the 26th it has $4,621 of the $6,000 goal (77%) with 11 days left.

N64 Emulation is way behind a lot of other things. It doesn't do anything to fix the high level emulation (HLE) nature of N64 emulation but it would be a big step in graphics.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 26, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

GhostBoy posted:

It's not strictly a game, but rather a gaming convention. Kickstarter for the "GX: Everyone Games" convention the convention formerly known as GaymerX, is looking to host its third convention. GaymerX, as the name suggests, started as a convention for LGBT gamers, aiming to provide a safe space and give them some attention. It has since branched out to represent more generally marginalized demographics in computer games, both in terms of players, but also from what I understand putting focus on the diversity of content (or lack thereof) in games.

Last year they had to hold their last show, because it was becoming too expensive to host, but due to support from various developers (including Blizzard putting 100K into the pot), they are coming back again. They are looking to fund part of it via the Kickstarter I linked up there, with the KS being about 50% of the funds they need (the rest comes from sponsors).

I think that is a pretty noble thing to get behind.

Yeah this seems like a worthwhile endeavor. I wish I was anywhere near San Fran and could justify going though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

Gryphon Knight Epic has less than $1000 left to go with 5 days left. I'm excited to see this succeed because not only does it look like a well-executed game, but also the devs have been responsive as well. Suggested a change to their stretch goals presentation and they said they'd do it once they hit their main goal.

Thanks for reminding me about this. Been meaning to donate and I keep forgetting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Fritz: A Video Game About World War One has abut 22 hours ago and is only $750 short of its goal. I hope it makes it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Fritz: A Video Game About World War One has abut 22 hours ago and is only $750 short of its goal. I hope it makes it.

It will. That close I wouldn't even blame the developer for putting the rest in, assuming they weren't idiots and said "Let's set a really low and unworkable goal because we'll obviously get more than that :downs: "

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mimetic posted:

They were both in the Kickstarter video, weren't they?
Yeah, they're both in the Confederate Express video. They also both appear in court documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sienna Storm posted another update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1591209713/sienna-storm/posts/961473

Should I c/paste the whole thing?