Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
For those who are missing out I'm going to do the nasty thing and RECORD VIDEO at the event, possibly with RANDOM PEOPLE in frame (will fine tune my consent plan soon).

I will be wearing a set of binaural** microphones to capture a few moments of the environment for people in 3D SOUND.

**(Try this with headphones for an exaggerated version of the effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

mitztronic posted:

got a tentative schedule

Monday 8-10pm - Desert Shift (Trip Hop)
Thursday 8-10pm - Dune Traveler (Psychedelic)

follow updates here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/461808887289932/

or add me on facebook (facebook.com/jonmitz) and print out the burner map before you go.

edit: burner map: https://burnermap.com/map/

You're my neighbor! I'll be at the roller disco 7:30 & Esplanade

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
New page, reminder:
:siren: GOON MEET: Friday at 4pm, location is 3:15 and A (HomeBrauHaus, free beer if you bring your cup!) :siren:

*edit: RockstarLibrarian has released her "Music Guide" : http://www.rockstarlibrarian.com/?p=1857. Have I mentioned that I'm super stoked to be near Carl Cox's new camp? I'll probably be hanging there quite a bit at night :)

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 19, 2014

skram
Dec 15, 2005
Anybody want to help out a stranded goon in SF?

My ride fell through and Ive been desperately looking for somebody to catch a ride with. I have a car pass if needed and very minimal set up.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That should be easy enough to find. Important detail missing: When are you hoping to arrive at BRC?

*edit :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 20, 2014

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I leave on Thursday and I have packed absolutely none of the things. fuckfuckfuck

See ya'll out there.

skram
Dec 15, 2005

Alfajor posted:

That should be easy enough to find. Important detail missing: When are you hoping to arrive at BRC?

*edit :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

Im actually having a terrible time finding someone to ride with.
I was planning on arriving at gates open and leaving sometime Sunday/Monday

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Finished packing all the things. Come say hi to me at Berlin outpost where I go as Ranger Turnip. I'll issue you a hall pass.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Haha, I know the guy running the Playground Experience where Carl Cox is gonna be, his name is Yoms, he's a Euroburner, black dude with dreads and super nice. Make sure you tell him I say hi if you bump into him.

Not long to go now. Have had a couple of last minuters on my Facebook suddenly deciding to gently caress everything and just go from London, so suddenly they're rinsing £800 GBP on 13hr + flights, scrabbling for camps... god speed. This must be the only festival in the world that makes people behave like this I swear.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yoms is a total dude.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

skram posted:

Im actually having a terrible time finding someone to ride with.
I was planning on arriving at gates open and leaving sometime Sunday/Monday

I've got a lead on a ride from SF, but don't know details. I'll put you in touch if the person in question gets back to me.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

OniKun posted:

I leave on Thursday and I have packed absolutely none of the things. fuckfuckfuck

See ya'll out there.

Yeah I leave today and :aaa:

But for real I'm pretty sure I've gotten worse at packing ahead of time. I'm just glad we are overnighting in Reno on the way up otherwise I'd probably my borderline psychotic now.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I've been seeing weather reports through reddit that predict high 80s and lows in the 50s. Anyone have same or conflicting reports from a trustworthy source? I'm surprised its predicted to be so mild.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Smeed posted:

I've been seeing weather reports through reddit that predict high 80s and lows in the 50s. Anyone have same or conflicting reports from a trustworthy source? I'm surprised its predicted to be so mild.

Make sure the weather reports are coming from as close to BRC as possible. The difference between even Gerlach and playa can be pretty extreme.

This is the most local weather station I'm aware of. I think it's on the comms tower near center camp? Also don't forget that the weather is going to do whatever the gently caress it's going to do. Be prepared for the playa to turn into a lake bed for a day or so.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Smeed posted:

Keep in mind weather forcasts arent really that accurate after a few days at best. Sometimes they are, sometimes they arent, but you cant count on them.

Based on the weather forcasts, you can expect 80's and 50's with 20-50% humidity, but as for clouds, winds, rain, etc you dont know.

It did rain a week or so ago, and the more it rains leading up to BM the less dust is in the air, but I'm not sure if it rained close enough that it will make any meaningful impact.

Plan for everything - 40+ MPH winds, hail and rain, 90-100 degree weather. I doubt it will go below freezing this year, at least :3

gadgethugs posted:

the weather is going to do whatever the gently caress it's going to do

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 20, 2014

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

90% finished packing. Starting our drive Friday morning! Hope everyone's preparations went / are going well. See you out there!

Zilla
Nov 14, 2005

can you see my nuts
Left a couple days ago from Tennessee to begin my slow cross-country journey. Somehow I got three weeks off work so I'm getting to spend a little extra time looking at cool stuff along the way, currently in Denver. Anyway this will be burn number two for me and I'm super excited to get out there. I'm going to do my best to remember to make it to the meet up. See you guys out there!

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
Ok guys, one last, desperate, goonie attempt to land the last ticket we need! If anyone has one, we would be much obliged to lay our hands on it. And willing to part with cash too, of course.

Right now our desperate plan is to drive West, starting early Saturday morning. We're coming from Michigan. We'll be poking at the internet the whole way. We'll have some signs posted on the RV too.

We're hoping to arrive in Fernley, early evening on Sunday. We'll check out Walmart there and possibly post someone to the Truck Stop in town, armed with signs and ready to do silly things (and pay cash!) for a ticket.

I don't know how long we'll hang out in Fernley, but if nothing pans out, then we'll probably try to sell our existing pair of tickets and simply tour the American West. I can't imagine dropping off our 3rd in Reno airport and waving goodbye. Heck, touring the American West is not a bad consolation prize for the ridiculous amount of work we have put into getting this motorhome (Dodge 440 motor we've tuned to 9.1 mpg!) on the road! I've never seen the Grand Canyon after all.

Any thought as to the possibility of landing a ticket in Fernley as prescribed above?

Thanks for reading, goons!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I thought you were stranded in SF.
As for Fernley ticket shopping, you probably won't be alone. Make your signs legible from far away, and best of luck. You could try Craigslist, but beware of scammers and all that fun stuff. Here's Reno's CL: http://reno.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=burning+man+ticket&sort=rel

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
We've emailed to numerous CL postings all over the country. Only 1, scammy response. We'll keep trying though as we are persistent! Still, CL is a shot and we will keep at it, and other resources too.

I've never been to SF either, so guessing you were addressing (or confusing me with) someone else. :)

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Zilla posted:

Left a couple days ago from Tennessee to begin my slow cross-country journey. Somehow I got three weeks off work so I'm getting to spend a little extra time looking at cool stuff along the way, currently in Denver. Anyway this will be burn number two for me and I'm super excited to get out there. I'm going to do my best to remember to make it to the meet up. See you guys out there!

If you head up north through Fort Collins shoot me a PM and I can host you on some brewery tour action.

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
I have 56 tabs opened to CL for states between Michigan and Nevada, and a Chrome add-on to refresh all of those tabs at once! I've made a post in every metro area between here and there. If a ticket comes up on Craigslist along our route, I'm gonna find that mother-fucker! Only 1 scam email exchange so far, so that is good at least.

drat, I am a GOOOOOOON!

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
Thoughts on a Craigslist response?

Guy has a ticket and offered it up. I asked him to take a picture of it and include a paper with his name on it and send it to me. He complied, and even included my name, so clearly the guy has a ticket.

I am now asking for a picture of the ticket number itself so I can verify the ticket is not on the "voided" list. Assuming he comes through with that, is this about the maximum guarantee I can get? I understand there is still some risk involved. I am trying to balance hassle for him against security for me.

Thoughts?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If anyone finds a Bass Nug pin at Burning man, pick it up for me <3

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659643

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Packed all of camp yesterday, early entry team is on the road right now with 240+ gallons of homebrew beer, a big rear end bar, shade, kitchen and more. I can't wait to head out next week!

In the meantime, here's a GREAT video to get in the mood: http://vimeo.com/103975643

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
i have a few items packed :nervous:

hopefully i dont get kept at work until 7pm today again.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Feels weird to be 30hrs before departure and almost completely ready: this is my 4th year, and aside from somewhat panic-inducing placement, things feel pretty stable. I'm with Playasophy at 3:00 Plaza (& B, at about 1:00 on the plaza if Man-ward is 12). It seems like we've landed in higher traffic, randomly shaped areas the last couple years, but we're pretty good at making 3d Sketchup models of our camp and people dig our hookah lounge / conversation space. We'll be serving iced coffee and hookahs afternoons (2-5pm Tu/Th/F; 8-10p W, maybe more if there's demand/coverage), and have a :pcgaming: LED lighting setup on the inside of our public dome for night duty.

I feel like the goon meet is close enough to camp that I can't reasonably miss it, plus the beer sounds awesome.

Now, time to finish up my LED jacket project, which is guaranteed to break in a novel and interesting way now that I've covered all the previous failure modes.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Oh my goooooooood, I am leaving on Sunday night for my first Burn, I am so excited, I can't contain myselfnadjf adsf aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Y'all have fun in the dust! Not making it out this year, but I'm working on stuff for my regional in October already.

Gonna be delicious...

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Hard year this year, so I'm counting it a victory to even make it at all. No fancy costumes, but I've got my fiddle so all is well. Stop by the Dusty Swan, 415 and A and drink whiskey to irish tunes!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Last year I remember reading a lot of the "OMG rich people at BM!!1" after the event occurred. This year I'm seeing a lot of the same type of articles, but this time BEFORE the burn has even happened (chock full of even more conjecture about of how the wealthy are spoiling themselves at BRC). I'm interested to hear how this year goes for the proletariate among us.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

http://www.ustream.tv/burningman !

Also: Embrace will burn on Friday at sunrise/7am, promises to be amazing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
BRC is closed thru tonight & possibly into tomorrow a.m. Cars being turned back @ Wadsworth. Cars also being turned around @ event entrance.

Get a hotel if you are already close people, they won't let you in.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

If you are stuck in Reno, here's a good guide to town :) http://freshbakin.com/drowningman/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, hey, the weather finally decided to remind us all that the Playa is a fickle mistress. :)

Maybe it'll cut down on tourists next year.

Having said this, I expect karma, and have now revised my kit for the Iowa regional for snow.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Leaving tomorrow morning :toot:

Meanwhile, here's a great link: http://makezine.com/2014/08/26/behind-the-scenes-the-build-at-burning-man/

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Random notes from this year's burn:

- Sorry, couldn't make the goon meet. Woke up in the late afternoon after staying up all night and watching Embrace burn.
- We got the gamut of weather. Torrential rain, hail, heat, sandstorms, and wind. Lessons learned: Always have a backup plan, and go in an RV if at all possible. I tented this year with access to my friends' RV and it was a good place to retreat when the weather got bad.
- Money can't solve everything. White Ocean's camp had 34 huge furnished hexayurts, all air-conditioned. Except they didn't get to seal them before the rainstorm on Monday and Mother Nature swamped everything inside.
- Our friend was stuck in line for 13 hours when they closed the gate due to rain. He couldn't even leave his RV because the ground was so muddy. Apparently the playa subtly slopes towards the gate, so the gate road gets hit by rain much worse than the city itself.
- 2 people got hit by lightning, both lived but one needed medical attention. It's scary to be in a place so perfectly flat where you're just as likely to be a lightning rod as any of the structures around you.
- 1 person got run over and killed by an art car on Thurs night. :smith: Light on details at the moment.
- P Diddy turned up (again), seen dancing at Disco Knights. Not that I care, but it's interesting to me that some celebrities go.
- Police presence seemed very light this year.
- After White Ocean released a killer line-up well ahead of the burn, other sound camps are considering banding together and not releasing their lineups until they're on the playa (or the week before) in an attempt to stop people going to Burning Man just to see their favorite international superstar DJ.
- International superstar DJs are quite approachable at Burning Man and will totally hang out with you all night. :)
- Leaving at 4am after the Man burns got us out onto the road without stopping at all.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I read that a few groups wandered over to the "fancy camps" to see how hospitable they were to strangers. No one tried to enter any of the camps necessarily, the areas were set up with a circle of RVs on the outside, but when they approached, a couple of the sherpa/party planners/whatever got very pissed and went out to confront the group (maybe 5 people from the story I read).

One sherpa ended up getting physical with one of the group members who was writing down notes about the encounter. Also a member of one of the camps came out and threw a fit at the group, mistaking something one of the burners had as a video camera. He was threatening to start punching people if this report is to be believed. :cripes:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Really? The "circling of the wagons" of RVs is pretty common in big camps, it helps prevent randoms from wandering through. Opulent Temple in particular had bad experiences with people nicking things like bikes or generators(!), or just wandering over and using the shower structures. Not to mention the RV-wall shields the camp from the wind and the view of the cops who might be looking for illicit drug use. The big camps also tend to have a bracelet or necklace which identifies a person as a member of the camp so they can identify strangers. OT gets a bit nervous about non-members backstage, because those people often bring drugs and do them out in the open, and that's an invitation to get the whole camp searched. But in all my years I've never actually seen a confrontation.

Edit: I guess you mean this article: http://recode.net/2014/08/29/k-street-black-rock-burning-mans-billionaires-row/ I think it's terrible journalism. They went over there to "test the hospitality", which already suggests the writer doesn't know what they're on about - no-one's obligated to give you anything at Burning Man. And they didn't even know for sure if the camp they went to was turnkey. If someone stood around outside my camp and started taking notes and filming it, I'd probably tell them to gently caress off too.

minato fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

First year for my wife and I, made it out of the gate around 11 this morning in 30 minutes. No wait except right at the highway. We got in on Sunday before the rain and enjoyed every minute of the week. Holy poo poo I am exhausted right now. 8 straight nights with 4 hours of sleep (sometimes less) is really exhausting. We camped about 4:45 and H with a bunch of random people, our neighborhood was awesome.

Personal note of the burn for me is that my wife and I worked a couple of runner shifts at Center camp, met a ton of cool people and had so much fun. I would highly recommend volunteering at center camp for a few shifts if you ever get a chance, particularly for first years. Long story short we ended up meeting Will Smith and chatting with him for a little while. He and his entourage came into center camp to order coffee while they were walking around on Friday. I chatted with him for a few minutes until I got yelled back to working my shift.

Me and Will in the picture with the Center Camp volunteer booth in the background.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread