Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Dexxter Jexxter shook his head in exasperation. They were never going to get anywhere proceeding like this. He decided to get their attention so he could start to move them along the right path.

"Sigh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have never watched a Wes Anderson movie :dealwithit:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

How will you deal with the destruction of all you hold dear?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You'd sound like yuming with an extra comma in there.

Therefore, I'm still voting Meinberg.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I will shine brighter than the hottest :sun: in my moment of triumph

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Noticing that no one was taking heed, Dexxter decided to raise his voice a bit.

"ugh."

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You've fallen into my trap dexx

I CONTROL THE X's

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Hey guys, I'm town.

So, I woke up this morning to receive a PM in my inbox from a certain someone. That certain someone was discussing a game of Mafia that we were both engaged in together. He went on to insult and berate me, and tell me that the fate of the game lay fully on my hands as it slipped towards defeat.

That someone is in this very game. And that person is... very rude.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
You know who have OOT communication about the game?

Masons, perhaps. So let's vote meinberg.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Muse please give me your $100

Therefore vote Meinberg

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I promise on the trust of our friendship that I will do honest town things with it

Therefore vote Meinberg

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

So is this what I am to expect no matter where I go? Whether or near or far, always castigated as a villain, always shunned for my failures.

Should I rage or despair? Should I struggle or surrender?

No matter. The end result is always the same. Forever untrusted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:smith:

I still wuv you Meinberg

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I actually like Meinberg even though he is wrong about a great many things and tries his hardest to troll me. This is the honest truth.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mills posted:

Muse please give me your $100

Therefore vote Meinberg

Mills I feel like you are just using our friendship to get ahead in life.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Meinberg just post Pacino Shylock

I shall prick you, and you will bleed

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I deny this categorically and if you honestly feel that way then I apologise sincerely and certainly don't want your $100.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

What use has a god among men for money

None

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

Meinberg just post Pacino Shylock

I shall prick you, and you will bleed

I got to play Shylock myself a couple years ago, when the local college theater put on a production in the park. It was pretty awesome. Can't help but feel bad for the guy, though. Especially when those loving gentiles kidnap his daughter, and then laugh at him about it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Human nature is to divide and corrode what connects them

I will end this petty squabbling...

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Now then, it would be wonderful if we could start playing mafia before we delve further into jokephase. In case some of you have not read it, I will quote my treatise on why jokephase should be abolished, which you can read in its native form over at the SA Mafia Wiki.

quote:

A Catastrophe in Comedyland

Jokephase. We've all been there, We all long to go back. But before we do, let's examine this critically. Is making jokes in a mafia game really such a good thing, or is it, in fact, harmful? As some of you have already noticed, I agree with the latter view. I will now outline three points as to why this is the case.

1. Jokes distract from logical discussion. Have you ever been hot on the heels of a criminal, only for him to drop a banana peel on the ground, which you then slip on due to how funny that would be, you slipping on the banana peel? Probably not. It's simply a metaphor. However, the principle applies to mafia. People will abandon their duty to pursue scum in favor of being 'funny.' It's understandable as to why. Who doesn't love a funny person? That is a rhetorical question which I refuse to answer, but until jokephase is outlawed, scum will continue to get away with this. Which brings me to my next point:

2. Jokes allow scum to hide. This is linked to Point 1, but I thought it deserved its own bullet. Nobody wants to execute someone who is funny. As said above, who doesn't love a funny person? So, potentially, members of the mafia are given leeway while members of the town are picked off for their own lack of charisma.
Not only does this social behaviour allow scum to hide and completely defeat the purpose of mafia (an informed minority vs an uninformed majority,(read more here) not a game of 'who is the coolest',) but it also means that I, personally, am at an automatic disadvantage in every game I am in.

3. It's insensitive. I expect I'll get an earful for this one, but hear me out. Jokephase is just plain cruel. Why, you ask? Because, simply put, some people do not understand jokes.
Taken from http://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_spectrum.htm:

quote:

Problems with speech and language comprehension are a telltale sign of the autism spectrum disorders. Symptoms may include: Taking what is said too literally, missing humor, irony, and sarcasm.

I understand it's the 'funny' disease to make fun of, but people who suffer from Autism sometimes literally cannot understand jokes, conceive of what a joke is, take part in a joke, make a joke, or recognize the difference between Adam Sandler and the works of Jean-Paul Sartre (:swoon:) Should these people feel exclusion from our games simply because we cannot abandon an outmoded and needless byproduct of an older time, when mafia games were played face to face with actual other human beings?

Probably not!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I''m sorry no one laughs at your jokes Gulag :(

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Now then, it would be wonderful if we could start playing mafia before we delve further into jokephase. In case some of you have not read it, I will quote my treatise on why jokephase should be abolished, which you can read in its native form over at the SA Mafia Wiki.

I understand it's the 'funny' disease to make fun of, but people who suffer from Autism sometimes literally cannot understand jokes, conceive of what a joke is, take part in a joke, make a joke, or recognize the difference between Adam Sandler and the works of Jean-Paul Sartre (:swoon:) Should these people feel exclusion from our games simply because we cannot abandon an outmoded and needless byproduct of an older time, when mafia games were played face to face with actual other human beings?

Probably not!
[/quote]

fart

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rarity posted:

I''m sorry no one laughs at your jokes Gulag :(

If only you could see life's true essence

You would all laugh with me...

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Bye I'm going to bed losers

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I see it, Benjamin......

Your anger.....

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Your Personal Muse posted:

Bye I'm going to bed losers

Sleep? More like surrender!

Anyway, I need a nap.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
Confirmed

Rarity posted:

I have never watched a Wes Anderson movie

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

you sleep, michael, but restless lie....

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Confirming.

Mills, if I give you $100 what will you do for me?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Confirming

##vote opop

See you D2.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Confirming.

Mills, if I give you $100 what will you do for me?

Gross.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I have a day vig. It's pointed at tremendous taste right now. I will fire it eight hours before the deadline.

Taste you have until then to convince me to shoot someone else.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did someone call me? Hi

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DHD are we rivals? I mean I always appreciate a good rivalry but you're so insignificant I'm not sure this will work. You are like the buzzing of flies to me.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

DHD are we rivals? I mean I always appreciate a good rivalry but you're so insignificant I'm not sure this will work. You are like the buzzing of flies to me.

How significant am I?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Good morning gents.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Opopanax posted:

Did someone call me? Hi

Hi Opop,

I signed up for your game before I signed up for this game. And yet, this game has started. What happened?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Magnus Gallant posted:

How significant am I?

You're a significant other

King Burgundy posted:

Hi Opop,

I signed up for your game before I signed up for this game. And yet, this game has started. What happened?

I died. I'm ghostpostin'

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Wow, and to think I thought of you as a mentor and a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Dick Hallorann woke with a start. All night, he had been plagued by strange dreams, dreams of the old hotel. That was nothing new, hardly a week had gone by in the last decade where he didn't have nightmares about what happened. This, however, was different.

This was new.

Dick rolled out of bed with a groan. His axe wound never hurt so bad as right when he woke up, like it was telling him to stay in bed. Somedays he listened to it, but you couldn't live your life that way and still call it living. Grabbing the sturdy oak cane from beside his bedside, he hobbled his way over to a dresser made from the same wood as his cane, from back when he did that sort of thing. With a tremendous effort, Dick knelt down, his knees popping off like it was the Forth of July. Pulling open the drawer and pushing aside a couple layers of ugly sweaters, he saw it and his heart stopped. There at the bottom of the drawer was a small badge, faintly illuminated by some unknown power. "God drat," he whispered, "after all this time."

The Shining had called him back to the force. The glowing badge could only mean one thing, ghosts in a hotel. Not on his watch. Not again. He stood suddenly, strengthened by the power of The Shining. He twirled his cane through a series of combat forms before snapping the thick wood in his hands and throwing it aside. He wouldn't be needing it again, Dick knew this was probably a one-way trip. He walked over to the phone and dialed instinctively dialed a number he couldn't have known.

"Hello, Grand Budapest Hotel? I'd like to make a reservation."

• Locked thread