Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
:siren: Latest update (3/7) That's it! Game's over, basically!!

Possibly last bonus update. Check out the evil powers you didn't see.

Infamous: Second Son was that game at E3 2013. Namely, it looked cool as hell. Released three years after Infamous 2, Sucker Punch wisely decided to start fresh with a new protagonist that wasn’t mind-numbingly dull. This being the case, you’re totally fine jumping into this game without any knowledge of the prequels. Which is nice, Second Son is actually a pretty solid game and an improvement in many way though I’m not sure whether or not I could say it’s really worth buying a PS4 over. Movement is fluid, fun, and the controls just feel good. Combat is a little thin and lacks variety, but it’s frenetic and engaging. Delsin is likeable and not a boring, gruff, broody white dude. The spray paint aesthetic really works... it hits a lot of high marks.

Second Son takes place in the far-flung future of 2016, seven years after the good ending of Infamous 2 (which is Cole sacrificing himself and killing nearly all of the other Conduits in the world). The government has created the Department of Unified Protection in order to capture the surviving Conduits bio-terrorists. You will hear these words very often.

Our hero, Delsin Rowe, is a graffiti artist living on an Akomish (which is fictional) reservation near Seattle. He doesn’t really care about his heritage or anything other than just doing what he wants to do. He has a bit of an issue with authority—you know, usual mid 20s stuff.

How’s this going to work?

Second Son is a solid game but it still has some trappings of the series such as the completely binary morality, which is about as subtle and nuanced as a train conducted by a bull crashing into a china shop. Delsin’s looks, abilities, and the way people perceive him revolve around his karma. The story itself doesn’t really change whether you’re playing good or evil, beyond some changes in dialogue here and there, so I’m leaving Delsin’s malleable psyche in your perfectly qualified hands. Of course, there are benefits to moral consistency... but who cares about that? Delsin will also have plenty of opportunities to tag various spots of Not-Quite-Seattle, and these are also down to a good/evil choice so those are up to you as well. Other than that, we probably won’t be collecting everything if only because that’s sort of a waste of time. We’ll be sure to do all of the stencil art and get all of the dead drops to flesh out the plot, but unless there’s a huge demand for 100%, that’s going to be the plan.

For the most part, videos will be group commentary and you'll be able to choose if you want to hear us blab over cutscenes, or not in order to show deference to this very serious video game.

In short: If there’s a moral choice to make, that’s all on you.

(and actually one other big one that isn’t based around morality but we’ll get there when we get there.)

There will, for the most part, be two sets of videos. One will typically have sparse, solo commentary that will mostly let the game speak for itself though I'll do my best to be informative or have something... meaningful(?) to say about the game. The others will be very 2007 and a bunch of chatty garbage that will make a concentrated effort to talk about the game but it will probably just be a lot of bullshitting and observational humor. You've been warned!!

What about all of that DLC?

If the thread happens to go past the three months, then I'll certainly tackle First Light. I can't even find Cole's Legacy anymore so I'm not sure if that's available. I'm not sure how to present Paper Trail so if you'd like to see that, please let me know and tell me how you'd like it done! Screenshot, video, the works, whatever. I don't know.

Spoilers?

Post smart, use spoiler tags, buckle your seatbelt, etc

When can I expect updates

:shrug:

1. If Art is a Crime... (guesting: no one)

2. Like Gandhi, or Superman (solo commentary), or chatty style (guesting: ilthrel).

3. Occupying Armies Suck, or uncut and unedited(guesting: bucketcapacity and ilthrel)

4. Kinda Nouveau Sick or talky(guesting: Saria the Sage)

5. Go Fetch or commentary over cutscenes (guesting: ilthrel)

6. Date With a Death Toll (uncut group commentary) or Solo commentary

7. I'm the Smoke Guy (uncut commentary), solo commentary

8. Don't Be A Dick, solo commentary

9. Heaven, Hell, and Delsin (and Eugene) or uncut commentary

10. As Seen On TV or solo commentary

11. Tyrant Wounded (uncut commentary), solo commentary

12. Hey, Wait, I've Got a New Complaint, or cut commentary

Don’t feel like watching the video? I don’t blame you!! In that case, make your choice: will Delsin save the tribe or sacrifice them?You have until... gosh, I dunno, just vote and we'll see where we end up, I guess? The thread has chosen to be good for this first voteplaythrough.

Evil/Good power showcases

Evil powers showcase
Good powers + concrete showcase

Stencil Art

These are up to the thread as well. Because it's no fun just choosing the blue or red option, I give you the names of the choices and you go from there.

Graffiti Roundup 1 - the thread chose: Queen of Mean, A Bone to Pick, Gnome Run
Graffiti Roundup 2 - Raven Lunatic, Fish Food, Calimari's Revenge, Rock'em Sock'em Icon, You Scratch My Back
Graffiti Roundup Finale - every other graffiti in the game (they're all the Good variety)

Thread Art!?

Bunny Delsin drawn by @AwrySquare on twitter, whose art you should definitely check out!! I forgot why I said something about bunny Delsin but that's okay.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I also really doubt we'll need this post but weirder things have happened. We'll be needing this post!!!

First Light describes the event of Abigail “Fetch” Walker’s life on the run with her brother through a series of flashbacks, explaining what happened to Brooke Augustine during her detainment by the Department of Unified Protection. That’s about as vague as I can keep it for anyone who wants to watch these but not Second Son.

Joining me will be ilthrel as per usual, maybe some other folks, maybe not. Who knows!! I guess I should mention that I’m doing this one blind because I’m not going to repeat my mistake of practicing and burning out. There’s not a whole lot of fluff to cut out but there won’t be a lot of meandering or anything. You have a choice between our jabbering or me letting the game speak for itself with a few interjections here and there, like with the Second Son videos.

Seriously though, should I play/watch this or Second Son first?

Either. Our commentary will possibly reference some events from in Second Son but those won’t be absolutely integral to your understanding of the video or anything. Of course, I don’t think this’ll be a big issue all the same but what the hell, maybe it is.

Any big gameplay differences?

Sooort of. The core gameplay of “shoot bad guys in their weak spots” does not change, but Abigail herself has a few different tricks up her sleeve. If you’re familiar with Delsin’s set of powers, you’ll find yourself feeling pretty comfortable with her toolset almost immediately. Other than that, there are some open-world objectives which we won’t be doing other than like one or two because they become very same-y very quickly.

Also there’s arena-style garbage that is some pretty obvious padding but we’ll get there when we get there.

Anyway, let's get this show on the road:

1. All I Do is Stupid, solo commentary

2. They Taste Better When They Run, or uncut commentary

3. Scout's Honor, or uncut commentary

4. It's a Date, or uncut commentary

5. She's Ready, or uncut commentary

Fetch has neon graffiti for whatever reason. There was nothing to vote on here so enjoy I guess??

[b]Graffiti Roundup, First Light style

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 8, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
All in on good path all the way. Apparently the bad path in this was just as poorly thought out as in the first Infamous. Beyond a video showing evil powers if you have a save, I really don't care to see it.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Save the tribe. First two games were kinda bad on the "evil" department and I doubt this will be any different.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Throwing little old ladies under the bus is not a nice thing to do. Save the tribe.

(And yeah, video games that do "evil" rarely do it well.)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Turn ourselves in. Let's not beat around the bush, I know a main antagonist when I see/hear one and that lady is certainly a Main Antagonist, which means anything we could possibly do to stave off her negative attentions will be completely useless.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The only reason I'd see to do the evil route is if you already did the good route on a previous playthrough. Since I've never played this game or seen any gameplay I'll vote good route.

Also I try to imagine the new guy with Cole's voice and it's pretty funny.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Since evil choices in video games never really come with any tangible benefits, they just make the player character look like a dick, go good.

Also, Delsin is a parkour master because that's what a hip, edgy video game character does in the 2010s. If it were 20 years ago, he'd be a skater.

quote:

Our hero, Delsin Rowe, is a graffiti artist living on an Akomish (which is fictional) reservation near Seattle. He doesn’t really care about his heritage or anything other than just doing what he wants to do. He has a bit of an issue with authority—you know, usual mid 20s stuff.

Hey, isn't this basically the guy from Prey?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
[b]Save the tribe[b] Guy doesn't seem like the kinda person to throw his family in harms way for personal gain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I say to save the tribe. Honestly, if this game is anything like the past ones in the series then it's a choice between "Not be a dick" and "Immolate puppies for fun." Not much moral ambiguity going on here.

Plus, this is the most insanely unlikable villain I've ever seen and I will do anything to prove her wrong about BIO-TERRORISTS and spite her.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Save the Tribe, Delsen doesn't seem the kind of kid to sacrifice everyone he knows to get out of trouble

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Being evil in games isn't really ever done well. Gonna have to go with save the tribe.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Betty could have ratted us out but didn't. We owe her for that.

This Conduit-catcher hurt us with those spikes. We owe her for that as well.

Save Betty by confessing. Add "gut the bad guy with her own concrete spikes" to our To-Do list.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Save the Tribe. And then make that red-headed woman choke to death on concrete.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I am agreeing with the thread on this, we need to make this red-haired woman choke on her own concrete

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I don't know if the strong reaction means she's very well written, or that she's so over-the-top she's making people irrational. But yeah, making her swallow her own words (and rocks) would be glorious.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Save the Tribe.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Save the tribe. Because seriously, you don't throw a sweet old lady who cares about you to the wolves like that.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Even looking away from the moral concerns already mentioned, there's no way in hell some of those witnesses wouldn't start talking the second that lady even thought about doing her thing, save the tribe.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
I think we have a great and massive consensus to be good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Veyrall posted:

I don't know if the strong reaction means she's very well written, or that she's so over-the-top she's making people irrational. But yeah, making her swallow her own words (and rocks) would be glorious.

I'll need to see more of her as we go through the game, but right now she's unseating Dolores Umbridge in terms of "Most Hated Villain." It's like the writers wanted to create the most outright evil and smug psychopath they could write without having her literally decapitating babies for fun in the first scene.

I don't even think she's in the "love to hate" category that villains are often put into. She's not badass or especially stylish, so she doesn't have the redeeming qualities that would result in people finding her cool. She's just so undeniably unpleasant as to deserve not a single good thing.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Delta Green posted:

I think we have a great and massive consensus to be good.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be safe to call it at this point. Delsin will do the normal person thing and not throw a little old lady to the wolves and be good.

Expect a video tomorrowish, in that case.

And yeah, you will really hate Augustine by the end of this.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Late for the voting, but I'm glad you'll be doing the good route. Outside of the first game, I feel that the bad routes are much weaker in terms of story than the good route. Infamous 1 had the anti-hero, "king of the hill" mentality that was lost in Infamous 2. Second Son, I think, handles the bad route better than 2, but it does have the ubiquitous problem that a supervillain is saving the day.

Add this with the fact that I actually like Cole better than Delsin, and the evil route's story becomes a drag.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Oh man, the DLC of this just came out and I've been playing. This is one of my favorite games... to the point where I've actually got the platinum trophy for it.

I actually feel like this game has the best evil route out of all of them, and actually faces the consequences of being a dickbag pretty well... but that's for way, WAY in the future. I still prefer the good route, but the evil route isn't too bad here, unlike almost every other good/evil choice game out there, including this game's predecessors.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I think Delsin should fight hard to protect his friends and fight just as hard to crush his enemies.

Can we go "puckish rogue" in this game?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It'd be neat if more games considered giving benefits to players who didn't go absolutely good or evil, but if this game is like the other Infamous titles going middle of the road will pretty much deny us any advanced abilities.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It'd be neat if more games considered giving benefits to players who didn't go absolutely good or evil, but if this game is like the other Infamous titles going middle of the road will pretty much deny us any advanced abilities.

The problem of arbitrary "Good/Evil" Morality systems. You can't just have interesting bonuses for the middle, otherwise they'd be unlocked at the start.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Actually, sorry to throw out another vote so soon but I figure now might be a good time for our first stencil art choices since we'll be running into them soon. And who knows, not seeing which one nets us good/evil karma might be interesting! I'm sort of experimenting with how to choose the stencil art so if this doesn't work out then I'll try something different. Let's say voting lasts until the video goes up tomorrow. I guess.

So you've got three choices to make this time:

Queen of Mean or Presto Strange-O
Nut Job or A Bone to Pick
Gnome Run or Heads Will Roll

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Presto Strange-O
Nut Job
Gnome Run

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Queen of Mean
A Bone to Pick
Heads Will Roll

Just to be contrary :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Queen of Mean
A Bone To Pick
Gnome Run

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It's entirely possible to give players rewards for sticking to neutral instead of good or evil, but it would probably only work if you got the rewards for progressing a certain amount in one way or another.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zoig posted:

It's entirely possible to give players rewards for sticking to neutral instead of good or evil, but it would probably only work if you got the rewards for progressing a certain amount in one way or another.

I think I would have it so that neutrality gives a general, mild bonus to a wide array of skills while going evil or good gives more concentrated bonuses in specific areas. The bonuses would get better and make you more powerful as you advanced, but the specialty bonuses from being specifically good or evil would be greater than if you remained neutral. So it's a choice between a general spread across all attributes or increasing some to especially high levels at the expense of others.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zoig posted:

Solved by having evil points and good points added together to a choice point. Then the ratio can be taken into consideration. Like the sum of all points determine "power level" and good heavy has both benefits and cons like oh "decreased offense for oh idunno survivability or cops don't bother you" whereas if your sum is on evil you have "damage boost +X or lifesteal based regen but increased enemy spawns or some poo poo". There are ways to make neutral interesting and seeing if the player is waffling about with choice.

My favorite approach has been you don't get any stats for either, but your allies change based on what you do. Good guys get the cops and citizens on their side, bad guys get in touch with Cobra Command.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
He was tagging a billboard of his own brother. I don't know if that's brilliant or stupid.

Sucking up memories is an amazing power, though. I wonder if it works on everybody or just Conduits?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

It's just Conduits Bio-Terrorists. Reggie was holding him pretty tight there after his initial freakout and nothing happened.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Wait a minute -- fuckup younger brother and politician older brother, younger brother gets super powers... Isn't this the plot from Heroes?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Wait a minute -- fuckup younger brother and politician older brother, younger brother gets super powers... Isn't this the plot from Heroes?

They both got powers in Heroes. In fact, I think the politician got his power first.

S.S. Neckbeard
Oct 6, 2007
Proudly lurking since 2000!
Parkour actually does make some sense from the street art angle, most of what you tag is in deliberately hard to reach places. I can see how the main character would have skills in that area. Also because he is a video game character.

For our tags:
Presto Strange-O, Nut Job, and Heads will Roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
It's still technically tomorrowish!

:siren: 2. Like Gandhi, or Superman (solo commentary) or the chatty, 2007 version (guesting: ilthrel). :siren:

Gonna go ahead and extend the stencil art vote until tomorrow or something because why not!

I'll have more to say about rewarding moral consistency later on but the short of it is that rewarding the player with newer tools that depend on how good/evil you are is sort of bad because if one is better than the other, then your hands are sort of tied. I think this game pulls it off as best it can, but like I said, more on that later.

e: huh, 2007 video is a little quiet and possibly out of sync. I'll fix that tomorrow if it's a big dealbreaker.

• Locked thread