Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rogue0071 posted:

Building up the Andors is itself kind of a waste, but why on earth would we send funds to produce more Star Trek to secure the Federation?
Oh whatever. Whateverian.

Also, the Andor are actively at war with one of our chief rivals so... they're not useless.

I was under the impression that, now that they're in the federation and have good relations with the federation members, they're fairly likely to intervene in any aggression against a federation member. Is this an incorrect assumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

Eiba posted:

I was under the impression that, now that they're in the federation and have good relations with the federation members, they're fairly likely to intervene in any aggression against a federation member. Is this an incorrect assumption?
That's a good question and one I'd really like to know the answer to as well. Even if we can't make them attack people, as one of the only races still doing decently, the Andors might make a good Federation Defense Force.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Given our yet limited resources, if we are going to sink cash into boosting a species, shouldn't it be one that we have some influence over their actions?

As always, waiting for a system status screen before making any determinations.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Council Session 6: Legislation Phase

: You should all know the drill by now. Just remember, Harry wants long-term policies, not highly specific plans that inevitably fail to predict the consequenses of your misguided interventions and result in the deaths of millions.

: Just in case anyone was still confused about that.

Legislative phase lasts until 9pm CET, August 25th.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 24, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I propose the Growing Strong Act

1. Keep the Acutians down - they're not nullfied yet
2. Bind everyone else together as possible - focus on tying Evucks to the Federation Races
3. Research! - It's embarrassing to show up to SpaceWar with last year's models.

Suggestions welcome for other provisos.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This is such a mess. :eng99:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Will not Submit, Will Never Submit
Hunnic Justice Act
Permanent Revolution Act
Growing Strong Act
No Act Submitted Yet
No Act Submitted Yet
Get the Evucks Act
The Patriot Act
Federal Expansion Bill
OFF Act
Post-Federation Stimulus Act
Who the Hell Do You Think We Are Act

Edit:

:siren: Attention Eightfold Unity :siren:

By my records, Baconomics hasn't voted since Session II, and will thus be removed from the rolls after this session. This would drop your party beneath the 3 member requirement. If I missed a vote, please let me know! Thanks.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 25, 2014

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

The Hunnic Justice Act
There is only one way: The Hunnic Way!

1) The Space-Cheese Trade Agreement
Increase relations and trade between the non-Acutian and non-Evuck races of space!

2) The "The Friend of my Enemy can still become his Enemy" Solution
Do everything in our power to make the Evucks and Acutians pissed off at each other!

3) The "Former Enemies can still Unite" Act
Get the Thoraxians and Burlusts into the Federation ASAP!

As a good Warlord I will listen to my subjects, and take heed of their suggestions if I find them suitable and just.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I, The Mighty Burmina, propose the WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?!?! Act

1. Invest in bettering our ship technology.- This one is a bit obvious, as we want to be able to stand up to armadas without getting all our ships exploded.

2. Bring the Thoraxians into the Federation.- As one of my ex-girlfriends was a Thoraxian, I can personally vouch for their ruthless and warlike nature, and as such they would be perfect for the Federation's growing army.

3. Improve relations with the Burlasts with the intention of bringing them withing the Federation.- This is going to be a difficult objective, but is well worth it, as Burlast fighting power in well know and their political cunning being just as feared.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Blackunknown posted:

I, The Mighty Burmina, propose the WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?!?! Act

1. Invest in bettering our ship technology.- This one is a bit obvious, as we want to be able to stand up to armadas without getting all our ships exploded.

2. Bring the Thoraxians into the Federation.- As one of my ex-girlfriends was a Thoraxian, I can personally vouch for their ruthless and warlike nature, and as such they would be perfect for the Federation's growing army.

3. Improve relations with the Burlasts with the intention of bringing them withing the Federation.- This is going to be a difficult objective, but is well worth it, as Burlast fighting power in well know and their political cunning being just as feared.

While I am certainly not against the Burlusts, it is worth nothing their fighting power is only feared on the ground, given their total lack of any space power at all. I don't know how that came about, but it is worth noting.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

While I am certainly not against the Burlusts, it is worth nothing their fighting power is only feared on the ground, given their total lack of any space power at all. I don't know how that came about, but it is worth noting.

HAH! THEY'RE A PEOPLE WHO FIGHT WITH HONOUR! IT IS WORTH EVERYTHING!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh hey, the Skylaxians actually have a pretty decent space fleet? We should focus on buffing that.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

The Patriot Act

If I ask you, "Where might I find a true patriot?" You might point to Melete Or Nephele. But why must we limit the work of patriots merely to Federation worlds? I believe that we must have patriots in every world and patriots under every banner. Patriots working for the betterment of the Federation not just through friendly institutions, but enemy ones as well.

1. Plant Informants on enemy worlds

2. Recruit to the Federation races that fulfill the requirements of a military, economic, political, and research arm as outlined here

quote:

1. A Diplomatic Arm
Candidates: Skylaxians, Andors, (Evucks)

2. A Military Arm
Candidates: Burlusts, Thoraxians (Boarines)

3. An Economic Arm
Candidates: Skylaxians, Acutians (Andors)

4. A Research Arm
Candidates: Boarines, Evucks (Acutians)

3. Weaken Federation enemies through subterfuge.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Your accounting is correct: Eightfold Unity needs Baconomics to vote or another person to join before the next session. I reach out to the former members of the Unity, as their current party has been unable to reach critical mass. Better to side with the one group that will ensure the voices of all races are heard than to stand in impotent silence.

Federal Expansion Bill

1. Use the Skylaxians to befriend half the non-Federation races, the Andors the other half, via buildings or any other means at the Hydral's discretion.
2. Expand the Federation at every opportunity.
3. Prevent or end wars against Federation members by any viable means at the earliest feasible opportunity.

Point 1 gets us backdoors to draw people into the Federation. This is especially important with races like the Burlusts who despise the Hydral personally, but don't have that animosity towards everyone else.

Point 2 utilises those backdoors and exploits other opportunities that come up: The bigger the federation, the stronger the federation.

Point 3 is absolutely vital. Protracted wars against federation members rack up major anti-federation opinion maluses with all fed members. Now, this matters because several of the races outside the fed are capable of spreading ill will through other unfederated races that they like. The Burlusts spread hate until we bring them in, the Evucks use slander, lies and whispered 'intelligence' against the feds until they're brought in, and so on. So, if we let war maluses build up against fed members, it has a potentially exponential effect on the difficulties of bringing anyone else in.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm not in a position to propose legislation. However:

FredMSloniker posted:

Man, even joining the Lazy Assholes at this point feels like too much effort. Eh, I'll lurk a bit, see if I develop enough of an issue to be a one-issue voter. :v:

I've found my one issue. Be it known that I will vote for any proposal that involves getting the Thoraxians into the Federation and vote against any proposal that would block them from doing so. (Note that this doesn't necessarily mean 'suck up to the Thoraxians'. Strategies involving keeping them down so they don't decide to form an alliance of fear or something are acceptable.)

Why, you ask? I dunno. I have a weakness for insect hive races, I guess.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
You know what? I'm gonna join Eightfold Unity

Be grateful I didn't decide to try and establish my idea for a party, the "pissed off and angry party", for those who are pissed off and angry at various things, most notably the apparent incompetence of parts of the council.

As it stands though, being a party leader would likely be too much work for me, so i'll join the party that's trying to do good for all. Though, if anyone else wants to form the pissed off and angry party feel free.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 24, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Edit: ^^^Never mind.

This is ANCAP's proposal:

1. Expand the galactic economy at every feasible and reasonable opportunity, focusing on Federation members.
2. Establish and expand a permanent revenue stream for the Hydral, to spend on his various projects.
3. Encourage and spread economic research, focusing on Federation members.

The rest of what I want is in the Eightfold Unity bill. I'd like to see the Acutians become the economic arm of the Federation, but that can't happen until the war with the Andors is over. Peace is prosperity, yes? Let's get there.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 24, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Stephen9001 posted:

You know what? I'm gonna join Eightfold Unity

Be grateful I didn't decide to try and establish my idea for a party, the "pissed off and angry party", for those who are pissed off and angry at various things, most notably the apparent incompetence of parts of the council.

As it stands though, being a party leader would likely be too much work for me, so i'll join the party that's trying to do good for all. Though, if anyone else wants to form the pissed off and angry party feel free.

Welcome aboard! You have ensured our status is secure for the time being.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AJ_Impy posted:

Your accounting is correct: Eightfold Unity needs Baconomics to vote or another person to join before the next session. I reach out to the former members of the Unity, as their current party has been unable to reach critical mass. Better to side with the one group that will ensure the voices of all races are heard than to stand in impotent silence.

Federal Expansion Bill

1. Use the Skylaxians to befriend half the non-Federation races, the Andors the other half, via buildings or any other means at the Hydral's discretion.
2. Expand the Federation at every opportunity.
3. Prevent or end wars against Federation members by any viable means at the earliest feasible opportunity.

Point 1 gets us backdoors to draw people into the Federation. This is especially important with races like the Burlusts who despise the Hydral personally, but don't have that animosity towards everyone else.

Point 2 utilises those backdoors and exploits other opportunities that come up: The bigger the federation, the stronger the federation.

Point 3 is absolutely vital. Protracted wars against federation members rack up major anti-federation opinion maluses with all fed members. Now, this matters because several of the races outside the fed are capable of spreading ill will through other unfederated races that they like. The Burlusts spread hate until we bring them in, the Evucks use slander, lies and whispered 'intelligence' against the feds until they're brought in, and so on. So, if we let war maluses build up against fed members, it has a potentially exponential effect on the difficulties of bringing anyone else in.

I just didn't feel like posting/reading the thread for a while, i'm here now.

Oh and a trip report from my own game: didn't know about the Thoraxian anti-fed (they wiped out the Acutians in the first solar year, RIP). At any given moment, the total space power of all non-fed forces combined is <100, which is then promptly exploded. The Thoraxians have 1000x the ground force of the entire federation on one planet. I have spent 4x as long bombing and poisoning their main planet as i have on all other operations in the game combined.

A real joke about this is that the boarines were about to join my federation for having Overwhelming Strength, but when the Evucks jumped in to the Fed the Boarines lined up with the Thoraxians and i proceeded to personally scrap the entire Boarine fleet which took for god damned ever.

e lol peltians just took a planet off the thoraxians

Tulip fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 25, 2014

Syless
Feb 23, 2013

I, for one, support our multiheaded dragon overlord!

While HSF's mandate is largely fulfilled due to the more assertive standpoint the Hydral has taken, we can still do our best to make sure he has the power befitting the 9th faction in the system. To that end, I am proposing the Outposts for the Freedom of the Federation Act (the OFF Act):

1. Take more outposts, as long as it won't harm the Federation or other legislative goals.
2. Do plenty of research, with an emphasis on construction tech.
3. Formally invite Sky Shadowing into the Federation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I propose:
Get the Evucks!

In which we:
Get the Evucks into the federation!

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Tulip posted:

I just didn't feel like posting/reading the thread for a while, i'm here now.

Oh and a trip report from my own game: didn't know about the Thoraxian anti-fed (they wiped out the Acutians in the first solar year, RIP). At any given moment, the total space power of all non-fed forces combined is <100, which is then promptly exploded. The Thoraxians have 1000x the ground force of the entire federation on one planet. I have spent 4x as long bombing and poisoning their main planet as i have on all other operations in the game combined.

A real joke about this is that the boarines were about to join my federation for having Overwhelming Strength, but when the Evucks jumped in to the Fed the Boarines lined up with the Thoraxians and i proceeded to personally scrap the entire Boarine fleet which took for god damned ever.

e lol peltians just took a planet off the thoraxians

Peltians are literally the best at taking Thoraxian worlds due to crazy bombardment strength.

CI bill will be up tomorrow morning.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ahahahaha that is the best racial power grid I have seen in awhile. Look at all that red.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Syless posted:

While HSF's mandate is largely fulfilled due to the more assertive standpoint the Hydral has taken, we can still do our best to make sure he has the power befitting the 9th faction in the system. To that end, I am proposing the Outposts for the Freedom of the Federation Act (the OFF Act):

1. Take more outposts, as long as it won't harm the Federation or other legislative goals.
2. Do plenty of research, with an emphasis on construction tech.
3. Formally invite Sky Shadowing into the Federation.

The Coalition for Sky Shadowing Acceptance formally endorses this bill.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

The CI proposes the Permanent Revolution Act:

Strengthen the Peltian and Skylaxian forces
Attempt to get the Evucks into the Fed
Steal any outposts built by the Acutians, Burlusts, or Thoraxians

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Session closed!

Hunnic Justice Act
Permanent Revolution Act
Growing Strong Act
Get the Evucks Act
The Patriot Act
Federal Expansion Bill
OFF Act
Who the Hell Do You Think We Are Act

code:
Hunnic Justice Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
Permanent Revolution Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
Growing Strong Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
Get the Evucks Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
The Patriot Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
Federal Expansion Bill: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
OFF Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]
WTHDYTWA Act: [b]Yes/No/Abstain[/b]

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Hunnic Justice Act: Yes - In line with our anti-Acutian goals
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes - In line with our pro-Federation development goals
Growing Strong Act: Yes
Get the Evucks Act: Abstain - Redundant
The Patriot Act: Abstain - On one hand, building up capabilities on the homeworlds of our foes is a good plan. On the other, calls for the recruitment of the Acutians. Torn.
Federal Expansion Bill: Abstain - Again, calls for the recruitment of the Acutians.
OFF Act: Yes - Good development stuff
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes - An ANCAP bill I can agree with. Trade and development shall strengthen the Federation.
WTHDYTWA Act: No - Other bills cover bringing races in, and making the Burlusts a priority does make a ton of sense considering their hatred of us and their lack of any space power.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 26, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Hunnic Justice Act: Abstain
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes
Get the Evucks Act: Yes
The Patriot Act: No
Federal Expansion Bill: No
OFF Act: Yes
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Abstain
WTHDYTWA Act: Abstain

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Syless
Feb 23, 2013

I, for one, support our multiheaded dragon overlord!

Hunnic Justice Act: No- I'm sorry, but I have no interest in letting the Burlusts in.
The Patriot Act: Yes- Tentative yes. I don't entirely agree with SI's definition of the arms (particularly since the council has already decided the Peltians be the military arm), but I support the overall goal.
Federal Expansion Bill: Abstain There is no Andor party willing to bring people into the Federation, so point 1 means we'd be ignoring half the remaining races. Though if the two the Andor focus on are the Acutians and the Burlusts, I have no objections.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes- Harmless enough.
WTHDYTWA Act: No- See: dislike of Burlusts.

The party line for HSF is Yes on the OFF Act and the Post-Federation Stimulus Act (for its point 2).

Syless fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 25, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I missed the Burlust provision in the Revengeance Act. I may shift to abstain - as mentioned, there are other races it would probably be easier to get into the Federation than the people who hate our guts. I wouldn't want us to focus on them to the extent of losing out on other opportunities.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hunnic Justice Act: No Pointless and unprofitable.
Permanent Revolution Act: No Short-sighted. Idiotic. We could make far more by befriending and integrating those races.
Growing Strong Act: No Why antagonize Acutians? They could be very useful.
Get the Evucks Act: Yes Science is a big seller.
The Patriot Act: Yes Good enough. Information is a very valuable commodity.
Federal Expansion Bill: Yes Agreed. Let's bring more markets into the Federation!
OFF Act: Yes Science without antagonizing other races or jeopardizing potential markets? Yes.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes
WTHDYTWA Act: Abstain I'd like them in the Federation, but I don't think they should be our current focus.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

The Acutians did the antagonizing with their repeated wars of opportunism. We are simply seeking to ensure that they do not continue to act as a menace to the System at large. While weakened, they are still quite powerful.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Hunnic Justice Act: Yes
Permanent Revolution Act: No
Growing Strong Act: No
Get the Evucks Act: No
The Patriot Act: No
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: No
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes

What's this about getting evucks into the federation now?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Hunnic Justice Act: YES!
Permanent Revolution Act: No, I can not in good conscience vote for something that outright demands Evuck membership be pursued.
Get the Evucks Act: No
The Patriot Act: Abstain
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Abstain
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Syless posted:

Hunnic Justice Act: No- I'm sorry, but I have no interest in letting the Burlusts in.
The Patriot Act: Yes- Tentative yes. I don't entirely agree with SI's definition of the arms (particularly since the council has already decided the Peltians be the military arm), but I support the overall goal.
Federal Expansion Bill: Abstain There is no Andor party willing to bring people into the Federation, so point 1 means we'd be ignoring half the remaining races. Though if the two the Andor focus on are the Acutians and the Burlusts, I have no objections.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes- Harmless enough.
WTHDYTWA Act: No- See: dislike of Burlusts.

The party line for HSF is Yes on the OFF Act and the Post-Federation Stimulus Act (for its point 2).

Haven't had time to read up on the bills, so going party line on this.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Frionnel posted:

What's this about getting evucks into the federation now?

Because otherwise they will murder the federation.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I have faith in the Federation to withstand evil.

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

Hunnic Justice Act: No
The Patriot Act: Yes
Federal Expansion Bill: Yes
WTHDYTWA Act: No

Votes chosen on the basis of the integrations of the Evucks into the federation and containment of the Acutian capitalists and Thoraxian revisionists.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

Hunnic Justice Act: No
The Patriot Act: Yes
Federal Expansion Bill: Yes
WTHDYTWA Act: No

Votes chosen on the basis of the integrations of the Evucks into the federation and containment of the Acutian capitalists and Thoraxian revisionists.

But my bill integrates the Evucks and contains the Acutians! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Gorgo Primus is the most reasonable member of the Senate right now.

• Locked thread