Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

You are not a vig. Only me.

I septuple-dog-dare you to shoot me Magnus.

Hal Incandenza posted:

SOMBO I feel like you are making awkward posts here and trying to create issues that don't exist.

Day one. This is pretty much always how I play because the alternative is to sit around until deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tremendous Taste posted:

What use has a god among men for money

None

If you have no use for money, then prove it by giving me your $100 every day. I love money.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It is gone already my liege

Merely a memory

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Wait, what happens to your money when you die?

we need to set up some kind of bank here.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am willing, for the greater good of the people, to be the banker entrusted with our fallen compatriot's funds. You're all welcome.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well, I don't know for sure because DBD hasn't elaborated yet, but I would think that dead people money would disappear. The only system I could think of that would work would be

a) for one person, nominated by the thread, to hold funds during the night and redistribute them the next day. this person would be obviously protected by a doc as possible.

b) everyone sending funds to one of two people nominated by the thread, who would then redistribute the following day. this would force scum to try and kill one of those players, thus allowing us to have some kind of influence over the night kills. best case scenario scum say "gently caress that" and we get to keep our money.

actually i think the second system might be a really really good idea. I nominate kumbo and ernie. i want to see what the store looks like before this happens though.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Whoever is the consensus for the money is probably gonna get whacked. Plus I don't trust us to not pick a scum by accident

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, that seems like a recipe for sadness. Last game I was in had a role that let the scum punch through protections. Even if everything went well it seems like we'd just be setting ourselves up for heartache.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Hey Magnus I will look after your $100 today and do something town like with if. Judge me on my use of it.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

Hey Magnus I will look after your $100 today and do something town like with if. Judge me on my use of it.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

Wait so I'm buying your opinion on who to vote?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Whoever is the consensus for the money is probably gonna get whacked. Plus I don't trust us to not pick a scum by accident

Presuming a role that goes through doc protection seems specious at best KB.

Here's why this is a good idea:

If a player dies in the night, whatever money they had is lost is addition to any future funds they would receive. This is bad! I am guessing, having not seen the shop yet, but I feel strongly that money could be a huge edge.

Obviously there is some potential for abuse, but not as much as it might seem! If we all give our funds to one of two players, that allows us to exert a huge amount of pressure over the nightkill. Scum don't want us to get powers so they want to keep that money from recirculating back into the town. However whoever they target might not have much money at all, or they might be doc protected since the doctor has a strong incentive to protect one of those two. It's puts them into a very difficult position where they have to choose between using their kill suboptimally or allowing town to hold onto their cash. Say that a scum does end up holding onto the funds, if they don't give it back that makes a lynch easy. Even if that scum dumps the funds to another player, I think scum would probably get diminishing returns from powers as compared to town. Honestly influencing the nightkill is worth it alone imo.

If there was some way to enforce participation it would be even stronger. Maybe if each banker confirms how many deposits they've received before thread close and then they scramble it by sending cash back and forth between each other?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Presuming a role that goes through doc protection seems specious at best KB.

Here's why this is a good idea:

If a player dies in the night, whatever money they had is lost is addition to any future funds they would receive. This is bad! I am guessing, having not seen the shop yet, but I feel strongly that money could be a huge edge.

Obviously there is some potential for abuse, but not as much as it might seem! If we all give our funds to one of two players, that allows us to exert a huge amount of pressure over the nightkill. Scum don't want us to get powers so they want to keep that money from recirculating back into the town. However whoever they target might not have much money at all, or they might be doc protected since the doctor has a strong incentive to protect one of those two. It's puts them into a very difficult position where they have to choose between using their kill suboptimally or allowing town to hold onto their cash. Say that a scum does end up holding onto the funds, if they don't give it back that makes a lynch easy. Even if that scum dumps the funds to another player, I think scum would probably get diminishing returns from powers as compared to town. Honestly influencing the nightkill is worth it alone imo.

If there was some way to enforce participation it would be even stronger. Maybe if each banker confirms how many deposits they've received before thread close and then they scramble it by sending cash back and forth between each other?

I agree with this incredibly long sequence of words about an incredibly important issue. I genuinely enjoyed reading all of these words, and at no point did my brain try to escape from my skull while doing so. I love words. I love to rub words all over my body. words. Did anyone ever watch Scooby Doo because I love Scooby Doo.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Meinberg posted:

Sleep? More like surrender!

Anyway, I need a nap.

Missed this post. Napping..? When there's mafia to play?!? For shame, meinerg. ##vote meinberg

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

GulagDolls posted:

I agree with this incredibly long sequence of words about an incredibly important issue. I genuinely enjoyed reading all of these words, and at no point did my brain try to escape from my skull while doing so. I love words. I love to rub words all over my body. words. Did anyone ever watch Scooby Doo because I love Scooby Doo.

:) if you give money to people is good town is bad scum :)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

in reality what somberbrero is suggesting is bad for town because

a) it forces town to come to consensus for yet-another-vote
b) it gives scum much more direction
c) it endangers the most trustworthy people in the town when they hold all that money

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

ERNIE if you give me your money today I will spend it today and do something town. Don't be a scum.

Vote Meinberg.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ernie. posted:

c) it endangers the most trustworthy people in the town when they hold all that money

D) And the whole thing may be moot anyway, since depending on the stock and pricing of the store items, it is possible there really won't be a worthwhile amount of money leftover at the end of a day.

I'm feeling like this is being built up way more than it has any potential of fulfilling as a mechanic. Prove me wrong DBD! :)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

a) you mean it forces people to play the game, yes.
b) that's good though! it's town making a choice that the scum have to respond to.
c) so don't give it to the trustworthy people. give it to the shittiest. use a lottery system. go down the player list. doesn't matter, also the point is that it doesn't really endanger those people because it's a poo poo proposition for scum to guess.

i know that most people probably won't participate but the puzzle of how to best use our cash is interesting to me and i think it could be really beneficial.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yeah sorry, I guess this is probably distracting since we haven't seen the store yet.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Somberbrero, you are boring everyone including me.

Therefore, Ernie give me the $100.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What if a scum gets the money from everyone then instead of giving it back they claim they got it stolen.

Or scum have a watcher they watch the person holding the money, bam they know who the doc is.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I want to start my own bank

If you pay me $100, you control my vote for a whole gameday

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm doubtful of (A) since money stealing doesn't make much sense without a heavily fleshed out currency system and DBD didn't even acknowledge money transfers until I explicitly asked. I don't think (B) even makes sense.

Therevote, vote Meinberg.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

I right like this idear. Buy me vote for $99 instead, what a bargain!!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

Mills is trying to do that but you pay him 100 dollars and then vote who he says.

But really guys we are getting sidetracked.

I think somber is scum.

Look at how he tries to poke at Hal and cast suspicion on him like he believes he's scum, then he ditches that to go on a random tangent about centralizing the towns cash.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ernie. posted:

Ernie I think you are scum because you know I am town and you are not sending me the $100.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
##vote somberbrero

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

What if a scum gets the money from everyone then instead of giving it back they claim they got it stolen.

Or scum have a watcher they watch the person holding the money, bam they know who the doc is.

then we lynch them.

even if the scum have a watcher(what?) then they have a 50% chance of watching the right player, presuming only one person visits them, presuming that player is the doctor, and presuming the town doesn't have a watcher who can make their odds of a successful night even shitter.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm not giving no one my money.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

I right like this idear. Buy me vote for $99 instead, what a bargain!!

Transfers only happen in increments of $100

Magnus Gallant posted:

I think somber is scum.

Look at how he tries to poke at Hal and cast suspicion on him like he believes he's scum, then he ditches that to go on a random tangent about centralizing the towns cash.

I think somber is the opposite of scum. Gunning early for Hal and then turning around to continue truly arguing the benefits of attempting to break the game for town are very townie things indeed.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

I think somber is the opposite of scum. Gunning early for Hal and then turning around to continue truly arguing the benefits of attempting to break the game for town are very townie things indeed.

Says you. The money thing is worthless in my opinion.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

Ernie I think you are scum because you know I am town and you are not sending me the $100.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

In fact, I think you know I'd part with my $100 for a laugh

and so

##give $100 to gulag

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Blah blah I hate Meinberg

##vote Ernie

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

:aaaaa:

that escalated quickly

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Mills is trying to do that but you pay him 100 dollars and then vote who he says.

But really guys we are getting sidetracked.

I think somber is scum.

I want to yell at you but at least you're playing mafia.

also haha we have no idea how money transfers work. hey DBD what's up with that?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You're scum and you know you're scum because that is not how you would behave towards me as town and I will not unvote until you are lynched. Alas.

Therefore, vote Meinberg.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

You're scum and you know you're scum because that is not how you would behave towards me as town and I will not unvote until you are lynched. Alas.

Therefore, vote Meinberg.

Thanks, I wanted this reaction.

##vote Mills

For what it's worth, it's endearing that you couldn't be scum for 5 minutes without trying to get rid of me as quickly as possible so you don't have to trick me for a whole game

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

This will teach me to read things more closely :argh: plan foiled

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

In fact, I think you know I'd part with my $100 for a laugh

and so

##give $100 to gulag

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ernie. posted:

Ernie. posted:

Had a change of heart?

Am I seeing something that isn't there? Feels fishy. You have earned my first vote.

##vote Ernie

• Locked thread