Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, i thought Dredd was just full of gallows humour and dark humour that was the point, it's probably one of the best adaptations of the material that you could hope for. It's pretty much perfect on every level. It's not for everyone though, but if you grew up reading Dredd then you probably loved it.

I mean Dredd is a huge social commentary book and just send up of a fascist system in a democratic state. Specifically the idea that we have a basically fascist organization to protect us and how just hilariously hypocritical that is.

Basically , the Dredd movie is amazing.

Hollismason has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dredd should have asked it as a question like he's unsure of what he's actually supposed to be doing.

"I'm the law?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Am I the law?" - Judge Dredd Jr., Dredd Rising, 2014

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

eating only apples posted:

I think The Prestige is my favourite movie, but there's a bunch of dialogue at the end that bugs me.

Angier has just been shot and takes the time to commentate his realisation - and the audience's realisation - that Borden was actually using a double. "Brothers... twins... you were Fallon all along..." There's the standard flashbacks to previous moments in the film, most of which have extra revealing moments added, which is all great and interesting and does a good job of answering the questions that need answering - but over it all is Angier and Borden explaining everything awkwardly as though the audience wouldn't have understood if it wasn't explicitly explained.

It's a clever film that assumes the audience can understand what it's saying, and most of that dialogue is completely unnecessary.

A few pages back, but there were plenty of goons in CineD who went to see the Departed when it came out, couldn't tell the difference between Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, and came out thinking it was a cerebral existential thriller. The Inglorious Basterds thread had a recurring multiple page derail from people not understanding how Michael Fassbender's character blew his cover. There were goons in this thread who didn't understand why Professor Xavier could walk at the beginning of First Class but not the end.

People are terrible at watching movies, and goons aren't even the worst of it. That's why circling the black SUV is a thing.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Dredd should have asked it as a question like he's unsure of what he's actually supposed to be doing.

"I'm the law?"

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Heres Hank posted:

A few pages back, but there were plenty of goons in CineD who went to see the Departed when it came out, couldn't tell the difference between Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, and came out thinking it was a cerebral existential thriller.

Pretty sure I got that beat. First time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring, I did not clue in until the death at the end that Boromir and Aragorn were two different people. :downs:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MorgaineDax posted:

Pretty sure I got that beat. First time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring, I did not clue in until the death at the end that Boromir and Aragorn were two different people. :downs:

All those Gondorians look the same

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, i thought Dredd was just full of gallows humour and dark humour that was the point, it's probably one of the best adaptations of the material that you could hope for. It's pretty much perfect on every level. It's not for everyone though, but if you grew up reading Dredd then you probably loved it.

I mean Dredd is a huge social commentary book and just send up of a fascist system in a democratic state. Specifically the idea that we have a basically fascist organization to protect us and how just hilariously hypocritical that is.

Basically , the Dredd movie is amazing.

I loved the new Dredd. I especially loved that Urban has basically no backstory or growth, he's just playing a force of nature all the way through. There isn't even a scene where he dramatically has to remove his helmet. He never removes his helmet. How rare is that in a costume hero movie? That's straight up commitment to the role to not require a bunch of face-time for the actor.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love that movie and Karl Urban is the man.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

WeAreTheRomans posted:

drat those Gondorians, coming over here, taking our royalty.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That's because they only had like 30 extras and had to digitally duplicate them. Didn't you watch the behind the scenes stuff?

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Heres Hank posted:

A few pages back, but there were plenty of goons in CineD who went to see the Departed when it came out, couldn't tell the difference between Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, and came out thinking it was a cerebral existential thriller. The Inglorious Basterds thread had a recurring multiple page derail from people not understanding how Michael Fassbender's character blew his cover. There were goons in this thread who didn't understand why Professor Xavier could walk at the beginning of First Class but not the end.

People are terrible at watching movies, and goons aren't even the worst of it. That's why circling the black SUV is a thing.

I don't understand this, how prevalent is face blindness? How can you confuse the two when they don't have similar faces.

This is an example of two people who look exactly alike:

These two do not look similar at all:

What is wrong with people?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If only 50% of all actors always wore baseball caps to help us distinguish them.

MorgaineDax posted:

I was pretty sure there were two Dwarfs in the Fellowship. And I like all that fantasy crap!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I got through most of L.A. Confidential before I realized that Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey were different people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I once spent the entirety of Faceoff confused about the premise until someone explained to me that Nick Cage and John Travolta were two separate people.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I got through most of L.A. Confidential before I realized that Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey were different people.

How is this even possible, besides the obvious visual aspect, they sound and act nothing alike. You must have thought he was some sort of schizophrenic cop who was simultaneously a loose cannon and a sly playboy/wanne be actor cop.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
I was at least halfway through Fight Club before I realized Brad Pitt and Edward Norton were the same person.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nucleicmaxid posted:

I once spent the entirety of Faceoff confused about the premise until someone explained to me that Nick Cage and John Travolta were two separate people.

:psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MorgaineDax posted:

When I read the book as a kid, I got sick of all learning all the stupid made-up names and just sort of read over them. This led me to thinking Sauron and Saruman were the same person and wondering why everyone was so surprised that the White wizard turned out to be evil.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I read the book as a kid, I got sick of all learning all the stupid made-up names and just sort of read over them. This led me to thinking Sauron and Saruman were the same person and wondering why everyone was so surprised that the White wizard turned out to be evil.

Didn't the Ralph-Bakshi movie confuse the two as well?

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
I mix up Bill Murray and Robin Williams all the time :downs:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not so often anymore.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I've got you all beat; the first time I watched "Contact" I didn't understand that William Fichtner's character was blind. :downs:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I mix up Charlie Chaplin and Robert Downey Jr. like daily

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

LoonShia posted:

Didn't the Ralph-Bakshi movie confuse the two as well?

Kinda-sorta, they (inconsistently) renamed Saruman to "Aruman" so people wouldn't confuse him with Sauron.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

There isn't even a scene where he dramatically has to remove his helmet. He never removes his helmet. How rare is that in a costume hero movie? That's straight up commitment to the role to not require a bunch of face-time for the actor.
There wasn't much good about V For Vendetta, but Hugo Weaving was one of the very good things partly for that, even though they cheated it by having him appear sort-of-unmasked but still disguised.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
My most idiotic confusion was a verbal cross wire that led me to mix up Mel Brooks and Mel Gibson.

I still maintain that Mel Brooks' Passion of the Christ would be awesome.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Heres Hank posted:

Are you sure it was Dicaprio & Damon? Shamefully, for me it was Damon & Marky Mark.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
In all the ads for We Bought a Zoo, I thought Matt Damon was Mark Wahlberg. I spent all of Watchmen thinking Jeffrey Dean Morgan was Robert Downey, Jr.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mng posted:

Loudness

Post those graphs for Nolan's Batman trilogy. I swear to God, I've never had to reach for the volume remote so much in my god damned life. The music and sound effects shatter my teeth while I can barely hear the dialogue at all.

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

Gorilla Salad posted:

I made the exact same mistake when I was around 11. Why did Tokien give them such similar names? Guess he ran out of ideas after a while.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Medieval Medic posted:

Are you sure it was Dicaprio & Damon? Shamefully, for me it was Damon & Marky Mark.

I got Dicaprio, Damon and Marky Mark confused. Not for long periods, just at the start of scenes. I thought it was intentional that they looked similar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

After I've finished shooting you in the face, would you mind explaining how it was unintentionally funny?

Were all of the one-liners supposed to be delivered horribly? Was I supposed to be laughing with the writers when the camera zooms up to him after he throws Mama to her death (in one of the most anti-climactic action movie endings ever) and he just says "Yeah."?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

theironjef posted:

I loved the new Dredd. I especially loved that Urban has basically no backstory or growth, he's just playing a force of nature all the way through. There isn't even a scene where he dramatically has to remove his helmet. He never removes his helmet. How rare is that in a costume hero movie? That's straight up commitment to the role to not require a bunch of face-time for the actor.

I believe he was contractually obligated not to remove his helmet for the role. He was not only cool with that, but he wouldn't have considered doing it even if they'd put it in the script.

I was looking for him for three quarters of the movie until I started to catch his accent and realized HE was Dredd.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only irrationally irritating part to me was the "hotshot" instead of "flare" moment.

Everything else was basically spot on to the comic, and god damned amazing.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

gallop w/a boner posted:

I made the exact same mistake when I was around 11. Why did Tokien give them such similar names? Guess he ran out of ideas after a while.

Tolkein is probably the one author you can't say just named people whatever for the hell of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron#Names_and_titles

"The name Sauron (from an earlier form Thauron)[45] originates from the adjective saura "foul, putrid" in Tolkien's invented language of Quenya, and can be translated as "the Abhorred" or "the Abomination". In Sindarin (another Elf-language created by Tolkien) he is called Gorthaur, "the Abhorred Dread" or "the Dread Abomination". He is also called the "Nameless Enemy". The Dúnedain (the descendants of the Númenóreans) call him "Sauron the Deceiver" due to his role in the Downfall of Númenor and the forging of the Rings of Power. In the Númenórean (Adûnaic) tongue he was also known as "Zigûr", The Wizard."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Henchman of Santa posted:

Were all of the one-liners supposed to be delivered horribly? Was I supposed to be laughing with the writers when the camera zooms up to him after he throws Mama to her death (in one of the most anti-climactic action movie endings ever) and he just says "Yeah."?

Throwing her off the balcony is a gambit. He says "yeah" because his suspicions that the bomb wouldn't go off when she hit the pavement were confirmed. Her slo-mo death is a cool call-back to the intro with her brutal murder that brought Dredd to the scene in the first place. They also emphasize that even when she's going to die, Mama doesn't really care. It was thematically appropriate and, sorry, also cool.

How do you expect one liners to be delivered? Because they seemed spot on for me given his personality and the tone of the film.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Aug 27, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dredd just says "yeah" a lot and its usually hilarious.

Anderson: [reads Kay's mind] Sir, he's thinking about going for your gun.
Judge Dredd: Yeah.
Anderson: [reads it again] He just changed his mind.
Judge Dredd: Yeah.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
An irritation of mine is how most trailers today are more like short films then actual trailers. i know they're supposed to get people hyped up for the movie but sometimes it's ridiculous. I saw a trailer recently that was 3 minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gaunab posted:

An irritation of mine is how most trailers today are more like short films then actual trailers. i know they're supposed to get people hyped up for the movie but sometimes it's ridiculous. I saw a trailer recently that was 3 minutes long.

Conversely, having trailers FOR trailers (teasers). Just show the trailer or don't show anything at all!