Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

ghost sex posted:

Red was saying it's been that way up through to gen6. Drowzee and hypno have never been able to learn Dream Eater by any method other than tutor or TM.

Who even loving knows why

Their dream eating has never been anything more than pokedex flavor text. That thing also says that Pidgeot flies at Mach 2, and we all know that's not quite accurate.

Darth TNT posted:

A pair of dangly dice on a rearview mirror don't make a pimp mobile.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crosspeice posted:

You should be using Repels all the time, no point fighting wild Pokemon, you get all the exp you need from trainer battles.
I tried this for Diamond and found out that my team always was juuust at the level of the wild Pokemon (or the level of the highest-leveled possible) so the Repels never did anything. Which is a pity because gently caress slow-rear end Diamond and its caves full of Golbats.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

PassingPie posted:

Their dream eating has never been anything more than pokedex flavor text. That thing also says that Pidgeot flies at Mach 2, and we all know that's not quite accurate.

Drowzee and Hypno (And Munna and its horrific eyed evolution) are all based on the myth of the Baku, the chimeric elephant-snounted dream eater

Munna can learn Dream Eater. Drowzee can't.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I tried this for Diamond and found out that my team always was juuust at the level of the wild Pokemon (or the level of the highest-leveled possible) so the Repels never did anything. Which is a pity because gently caress slow-rear end Diamond and its caves full of Golbats.

It kinda works for most games if you fight every trainer and slowly build a team of six across the game, doing things otherwise will kinda screw with that a bit, but I've been successful in every generation so far with Repels always working.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PassingPie posted:

Imagine living in a world where birds constantly break the sound barrier.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Really, the Pokedex entries are all a bit suspect.

e:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

The Pokedex is one of the reasons I want a soft Pokemon reboot. Rewrite all the Pokedex data from scratch so that it actually makes goddamn sense.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Wailord weighing so little actually makes sense, though. After all, he's the Float Whale pokemon- how else does he hover around above land?

(Besides, you know, how all the other fish do it. Which is magic.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pokemon regions are very humid. Water Pokemon are swimming in the air-water. Duh. It's science.
:colbert:

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Frocobo posted:

The Pokedex is one of the reasons I want a soft Pokemon reboot. Rewrite all the Pokedex data from scratch so that it actually makes goddamn sense.

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=011011

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Asator posted:

I have never noticed all the little details in the Strange House music before now. In game it's extremely quiet, so it's hard to make much of it out, but then when you turn it up everything else (like, say, the wild battle music) becomes really loud.

Makes for a good jump scare, I guess.

...I never really even knew it had music, so I clicked on the link, and holy crap. This sounds like something out of a Horror game like Silent Hill or something.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Strange House is pretty great. One of the better atmospheric areas in the series for me. It's a lot like the Old Chateau, but done much better here I think.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Frocobo posted:

This is the exact opposite way to do it, change the game to take the Pokedex data into account

Moon jumping diamond feet fire horses for everyone

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 12, 2014

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

This is the exact opposite way to do it, change the game to take the Pokedex data into account

Moon jumping diamond feet fire horses for everyone

The landscape is in constant turmoil as Larvitars eat entire mountains. Then they grow up into Tyranitars and knock down said mountains and bury rivers. Oh and Entei's barking causes volcanoes to erupt.

It's ripe material for a constantly shifting dungeon! (with a high chance of very fatal cave-ins) :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ramengank posted:

It's ripe material for a constantly shifting dungeon! (with a high chance of very fatal cave-ins) :v:

You know what worries me? In XY you can have wild Graveler "swoop down from the ceiling." They weigh like 500 pounds!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StandardVC10 posted:

You know what worries me? In XY you can have wild Graveler "swoop down from the ceiling." They weigh like 500 pounds!
How do you think they get the momentum for Rollout?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's some serious potential for creepy stuff in Pokeworld. I'm glad the Strange House exists.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Glazius posted:

There's some serious potential for creepy stuff in Pokeworld. I'm glad the Strange House exists.
Pokemon Tower, Distortion World, the Old Chateau, hell, even the Ruins of Alph. There's no shortage of places Game Freak's come up with to scare the pants off small children.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#31. My Afternoon with Bianca

Alright! Spooky night over. Spooky day begin. Let's see if anything cool lives around here!

Yeah, yeah that's pretty cool!

Cute but I don't know about cool!

Very festive, I like that.

Yup. Maybe I should catch something from here.

Eh, you'll do.

Choro Notes: Spoink and Grumpig are unique to Black2 version. White2 version has Numel and Camerupt instead.

Choro Notes: Reversal Mountain
Reversal Mountain is like Opelucid Town in another area that varies between Black2 and White2 version. In White2 the Volcano is active and full of fire and steam as opposed to . . . you'll see. (This is why Camerupt appear here in White2 instead of Grumpig.) Strangely enough, they mixed up the map descriptions if you look at the top of this update. White2 describes it as "A volcano with a record of a huge eruption long ago."

It's even got it's own music:
Music: Reversal Mountain (White2 Version)

But really this is the one you should listen to for the rest:
Music: Reversal Mountain (Black2 Version)

- - -

Choro Notes: Everyone complaining about the encounters in this area:

Choro Notes: they flat out give you a max repel right at the entrance. Not that you're wrong to complain about the encounters in here: all that lives here are Spoink/Grumpig, Boldore, Woobat, Skorupi and Excadrill. It's really a boring selection.

Oh yeah, spraying that.

Ah.

Yes? Bianca?

. . . do you wanna just bum off my repel?

I can, sure.

Choro Notes: Bianca works like the team-ups in other games: She'll fully heal both parties after each battle.

Right Right!

- - -

Bianca? Maybe you should look forward. Got some holes in the floor up ahead and all.

Choro Notes: In addition, all wild encounters will be double encounters. This is handy in case you wanna ruin some Excadrills days. You know, out of spite. Spite or training. Spite Training.

so I left on a journey to find out!"
Yeah? How'd that go?

"Oh! Check this out."

O-oh, you gave it a hat. That's, uh, something you're capable of. Yeah.

The wh—

BWHOA, GEEZ.

Choro Notes: Bianca will always default to starting with her Musharna. She's also got her Stoutland and a Mienfoo with her.

Uh, Bianca? You're actually doing pretty good . . .
"C="

Choro Notes: This is the absolute WORST thing you could do versus Redjru.

Choro Notes: Same-type bonus+Adaptability+Mystic Water+Rain conditions. The only thing worse you could've done was dress your monster up in a Blue Basculin costume. Swanna RESISTS water-type moves and that happened.

Yeah, yeah those fish scales got in them swan eyes pretty good . . .

"Yes! Please! C="

legendary Pokémon Heatran will appear."

Choro Notes: If you're not paying attention, you can completely miss this: the shadow is the sign of a door.

Bianca your Musharna is kind of tough, just saying.

for me."
Yeah, yeah. I can relate to that I guess.

Choro Notes: There's nothing out the obvious cave to the right, however it does give you just the right angle to barely see the Shadow Ball TM from the previous update hidden behind the Spook House.

Choro Notes: A feature added in Black2/White2 is if your Repel runs out, it will ask if you just wanna use another. IT IS THE BEST FEATURE.

Choro Notes: Scary Face just lowers the target's speed sharply. It's not really that useful for Basculin.

Yes.
"Yes! C="

"Actually there was a really nice trainer back that way! C="

- - -

Hmm.

Choro Notes: False Swipe is a physical Normal-type move that can't reduce the target past 1 HP. It's meant for capturing monsters.

Choro Notes: In White2, this is a Fire Gem and a Flame Orb! The Toxic Orb badly poisons the holder, similarly the Flame Orb burns the holder. There are reasons you would want to do this, mostly triggering abilities, hucking them with Fling or donating them with Switcheroo or Trick.

Choro Notes: Iron Defense sharpy raises the user's defense stat. Jawnie really does not need this. Intimidate gets the work done and a turn used Iron Defensing is a turn not used biting poo poo.

"For instance! Musharna? Hates eating dreams about clowns. I wonder if they *snrk* taste funny?"
Bianca, yes, thank you.

what I want to do . . . "

Well if it's fun, do it. How's the pay?
"P-R-E-T-T-Y good."

Ah, I should really go find about about dragons or something. You know how it is working for her and all.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Yeah, yeah.

Good chat. Good chat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This was quite uneventful. Bianca however still shows she's a surprisingly great character.

And I really need to try a Basculin once.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

This was quite uneventful. Bianca however still shows she's a surprisingly great character.

And I really need to try a Basculin once.

That's one of the big failings of Black2/White2, The places that ARE new are usually really bland. When plot does happen it happens quickly and suddenly and then it's over and we all continue on our ways. It's the opposite of Black/White, basically.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Man, this place is way cooler in White2. Oh well.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Shoulda got a skorupi, they own bones, yo.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I can confirm that Drapion does, indeed, own bones. Very nice team member, Night Slash all day erry day.

And it might be a mistake by GF, but maybe the map descriptions are also reversed. Eh? Eh?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Boring section, but really chill music.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

majormonotone posted:

Man, this place is way cooler in White2. Oh well.

You mean "hotter" right? Because it's an active volcano and all... :v:

But I think that Reversal Mountain's gimmick is kind of interesting. Actually, both versions reminds me of Lava Reef Zone from Sonic 3.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait, I'm lost, because I beat Black 2 eons ago and I don't remember. Is Heatran really not there? After all of that? Then what was the point?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, I'm lost, because I beat Black 2 eons ago and I don't remember. Is Heatran really not there? After all of that? Then what was the point?

Heatran is there, but they keep telling you: You need the Magma Stone. The Magma Stone is not in Reversal Mountain.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SonicRulez posted:

If you get the lava stone (which is on an island in the middle of fuckin' nowhere in the post game) you can bring it to the center room and Heatran will appear.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Reversal Mountain drove me nuts for a while because there was an area I could see, but couldn't reach. Turned out it was only open on the other version.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crosspeice posted:

I can confirm that Drapion does, indeed, own bones. Very nice team member, Night Slash all day erry day.
I thought exactly that and tried one in a recent Diamond playthrough. It is indeed quite good...after Level 50-something. I have no idea what went wrong in the brains of the Gen IV designers (or I, not a child and actually looking through websites and poo poo, am too dumb to see something obvious) but holy hell is that scorpion a pain to raise. Its best attack until it evolves is freaking Pin Missile unless you give it Bite (woooo) through tutoring. Platinum at least has the grace to add Bug Bite. I guess you could teach it X-Scissor, but that's also pretty late to obtain and you more or less waste it as TMs are not infinite yet.
It's a credit to the 'mon that I stuck through because as abysmal as Pin Missile is, with +2 Attack off Acupressure it becomes almost good enough and the little guy can tank some serious damage.
Of course, everything's far better for the entire line in Gen V. Best Gen.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Agreeing with the "it's better in W2" comments, overall I just think it's more visually appealing there.

B2 has some nice, chill music though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Quite a few Pokemon have awkward movepools when they're introduced and you have to wait a few gens to have their movepool properly fleshed out. Gen I had this in spades, since every other move was a normal type move and some types were mostly unusable (Bug, Ghost, Dragon). It's good to see that nearly twenty years on, some Pokemon have been given new life with great moves and abilities.

Another tough Pokemon to raise in this game is Volcarona, who can use Fire Spin and Bug Bite. At least you can tutor on Signal Beam and Heat Wave and you can also get Flamethrower eventually. It was tough, but also quite fun. Now it's a murdering machine, but Volcarona are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Bianca continues to be a pretty great character.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crosspeice posted:

Quite a few Pokemon have awkward movepools when they're introduced and you have to wait a few gens to have their movepool properly fleshed out. Gen I had this in spades, since every other move was a normal type move and some types were mostly unusable (Bug, Ghost, Dragon). It's good to see that nearly twenty years on, some Pokemon have been given new life with great moves and abilities.

Another tough Pokemon to raise in this game is Volcarona, who can use Fire Spin and Bug Bite. At least you can tutor on Signal Beam and Heat Wave and you can also get Flamethrower eventually. It was tough, but also quite fun. Now it's a murdering machine, but Volcarona are.

Flareon jumps to mind. I think that's one of the Pokemon that took the longest to get a decent moveset.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Flareon jumps to mind. I think that's one of the Pokemon that took the longest to get a decent moveset.

I liked Cloyster getting skill link as its hidden ability and kicking everyone's rear end with Icicle spear. (Hell, extend this to anything that learns multi-hit moves and got that ability.)

Not sure if new evolutions count, but Togetic getting an evolution to Togekiss pulled it out of the shitheap and made it a top tier annoying bastard. The addition of Fairy type in G6 was just icing on the ParaFlinch cake.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Hey hey, it's had Flare Blitz since gen 4! By a very specific glitch. And didn't get it legally until X/Y.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Crosspeice posted:

Volcarona gets it especially bad because it both evolves so late and it swaps between physical and special focus.

A number of pokemon could be saved by just giving them so new moves that actually fit them or at least . While various updates so help, especially for pokemon made before they introduced radically changed game mechanics, they don't make up for design ideas that just don't make sense to begin with like loading special attackers with physical moves in recent games (looking at you Flabebe) or their quest to make defensive pokemon of a type that only resists itself. Gamefreak does kind of run on moon logic at times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of Volcarona, I really don't like how some pokemon don't evolve until basically the post game. When exactly am I gonna get any use out of Hydreigon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of Volcarona, I really don't like how some pokemon don't evolve until basically the post game. When exactly am I gonna get any use out of Hydreigon?

Gen 5 was in that awkward phase where you were still expected to beat the game at roughly L55 at highest, but a lot of its pokemon (Braviary, Mandibuzz, Mienshao, Volcarona, Hydreigon) don't evolve until right before the absolute end of the game or past the end credits. X/Y is better about that since the Elite 4 brushes up against L60-70, and it's not uncommon to end up higher than that if you've been using the Exp Share.

That said, pseudo-legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, and Hydreigon) are intentionally late evolvers to make up for their superior stats and (with exception of Tyranitar and Metagross) Dragon-typing.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread