Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

overdesigned posted:

Kyle gives you the second focus whether you remove stress with a green or by removing it with Farlander's ability on an attack, so why do a green maneuver? Do a white, use the first focus for defense against a higher PS attack if you need it, then attack, use stress to activate Farlander, and get your second focus with Kyle for later defenses.
Oh right, that's probably what Strobe meant with his post. Definitely the best way to utilize it it sounds like. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
So, trip report.

Round one:

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit + B-Wing E2 + Kyle Katarn + Ion Torpedo + Flechette Torpedo
Dash Rendar + Outrider + Autoblaster + Push the Limit + Engine Upgrade

Flown against:
Black Squadron + Ruthlessness
Black Squadron + Rutlessnesss
Black Squadron
Howlrunner

I'm not above stealing a great looking B-wing build when I see one. :colbert: So after about six turns of maneuvering, I dropped Dash into range 1 of the whole swarm of TIEs, with one corner right where Howlrunner was "supposed" to be, causing a bump. Then I 1-shotted Howlrunner with with the Autoblaster. Then I dropped the Ion Torpedo on the swarm with Keyan from range 3. Dash got caught in the blast but he didn't care. Dash also survived the return fire from the swarm with 3 hull left, and all the Ruthlessness-es meant almost everybody in the swarm came out of things with one damage. Next turn I dropped two more TIEs, (one with the Flechette Torpedo) and the turn after that Dash went down, but Keyan was able to easily drop the remaining two TIEs.

Being able to spend a stress as a focus makes the B-Wing COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS and I love it. Had I not managed that ridiculous placement of Dash into the swarm, things would have gone a lot differently. It's a very high-risk high-reward setup, and overall I like the Heavy Laser Cannon better.

On that note, round two was:

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit + B-Wing E2 + Kyle Katarn
Dash Rendar + Outrider + Heavy Laser Cannon + Predator + Engine Upgrade

Against:
Commander Kenkirk + Ysanne Isard + Rebel Captive + Moff Jerjerrod
Saber Squadron + Push the Limit
Saber Squadron + Push the Limit

(which is apparently 101 points, but neither of us noticed)

First turn I 4-forwarded followed by a soft-1 boost with Dash and tagged one of the Sabers with a range-3 HLC shot, landing a crit. I think he was kind of offended. Next turn I dropped the B-Wing into range 1 of the Decimator, hit it for four damage, then did four more with the HLC. Keyan took 6 damage in return from the TIEs and the Decimator--next turn he got one more shot off and then went down. We danced around a bit more, I HLC'ed both Interceptors down and then managed to chip away at the Decimator until he went all-or-nothing and flew off the board with 1hp left.

The HLC gives you way more flexibility and is less dangerous (for Dash) vs. swarms, and lets you be able to take advantage of being at range 3. Also, Dash's ability to land on asteroids and then barrel roll or boost off of them is super, super handy. Basically I think the Dash/HLC/Outrider and the Keyan/Katarn combos are really great.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 27, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think with the PtL/Engine Upgrade/Autoblaster YT-2400 I would rather drop to Leebo (more survivable) and have Nien Numb as crew in order to alleviate the issues with the PtL. Thanks for giving it a try :). Will try it myself and see if I can tinker a bit with the setup to see what works.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Am I missing something, because I thought HLC's can't crit unless Kath Scarlet or whatever changes the dice.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Leo Showers posted:

Am I missing something, because I thought HLC's can't crit unless Kath Scarlet or whatever changes the dice.

The conversion of crits to hits on the HLC only occurs once after the original rolling of the dice. From then on, any and all effects that can result in a crit such as Target Lock or Mercenary Copilot work as normal.

edit: Or, for example, Predator, as seen in his list.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

overdesigned posted:

I'm not above stealing a great looking B-wing build when I see one. :colbert:

Basically I think the Dash/HLC/Outrider and the Keyan/Katarn combos are really great.

Awesome to hear, glad they worked out well for you too. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114992-its-time-to-ban-c3p0/

I love how crazy this dude is. He thinks C-3PO is the problem. I wonder why he doesn't ask himself why people are running the Falcon?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114992-its-time-to-ban-c3p0/

I love how crazy this dude is. He thinks C-3PO is the problem. I wonder why he doesn't ask himself why people are running the Falcon?

There's a guy a little further down that's got it right.

quote:

OMG everything is so OP, we should just ban all ships and upgrades and to make it fair we can all just play as asteroids.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Huge asteroid worm confirmed in the next wave.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lmao at the projecting that ACD should be banned too.

Is this real life?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

Lmao at the projecting that ACD should be banned too.

Is this real life?
Is this just fantasy?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

overdesigned posted:

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit + B-Wing E2 + Kyle Katarn
Dash Rendar + Outrider + Heavy Laser Cannon + Predator + Engine Upgrade

This is only 94 points (or I'm bad at math). Did you leave something out?

Also, for clarification, does Dash's ability make asteroids/debris totally irrelevant for him, or am I missing something?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nahanahs posted:

Also, for clarification, does Dash's ability make asteroids/debris totally irrelevant for him, or am I missing something?
He still takes into account asteroids in the combat phase (unless it is specifically an action in the combat phase).

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Tekopo posted:

He still takes into account asteroids in the combat phase (unless it is specifically an action in the combat phase).

There's what I was missing. Thanks.

How about, with the Outrider card, if you get that secondary weapon shot off via a crit, can you shoot with your primary weapon, or is that considered like it was never there to begin with?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

nahanahs posted:

There's what I was missing. Thanks.

How about, with the Outrider card, if you get that secondary weapon shot off via a crit, can you shoot with your primary weapon, or is that considered like it was never there to begin with?

You go back to your primary weapon, since you don't have the secondary weapon equipped anymore.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

nahanahs posted:

Oops, Farlander had Ion Torpedoes on there to bring it all up to 99.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I ran this list recently:
Dash with Leebo, Outrider+HLC, Lone Wolf

Tycho Celchu with A-Wing Test Pilot, PtL, Stay on Target, Chardaan Refit
Green Squadron with A-Wing Test Pilot, Draw their Fire, Veteran Instincts, PtL

Against my buddy's Interceptor/Defender/Shuttle list.

I parked the Outrider in an asteroid field and just did tight circles taking HLC shots every turn while Tycho dodged firing arcs from all three ships for 5 turns before finally getting murdered (a round 1 lucky shot put him down to 1 hp). With my A-Wings continually threatening to get behind my opponent and become very sticky with the SoT/PtL combo, they served as a good distraction to keep Dash from taking too many hits and eventually it came down to a shuttle with Dash behind it, firing HLC blasts up its butt every turn.

This was the first game I played with my own models and it was awesome. SoT is absolutely amazing for maneuvering.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Is it confirmed Rebel Aces comes with 2x Chardaan Refit? Was thinking of buying a 2nd A-Wing before the pack comes out, but then I'd be short a Refit...

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Is it confirmed Rebel Aces comes with 2x Chardaan Refit? Was thinking of buying a 2nd A-Wing before the pack comes out, but then I'd be short a Refit...

Haven't heard it confirmed by anyone who got one at Gencon, but their promo page for it certainly shows two.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Caddrel posted:

Haven't heard it confirmed by anyone who got one at Gencon, but their promo page for it certainly shows two.

The one I got (from GenCon) came with three.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

overdesigned posted:

The one I got (from GenCon) came with three.

Perfect. Was hoping that was the flipped over card. Second A-Wing here I come.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I decided to pick this up today. 80 bux got me a starter, 2 extra Fighters, and a B-Wing.

Our first game was the cheapest variants of each ship, and boy I can confirm Academy Pilots are loving useless. Our second game was us taking a more balanced list (I think it ended up like 68 points for me and 72 for him (on 2 loving ships)) and he lost like second turn when I took down his X-Wing in one turn of firing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Academy Pilots are some of the best ships in the game. Try again.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The one pilot skill ones? What am I missing?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
How cheap they are, how many you can field, and how many dice they chuck if you take them around in gang-bang formation.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The one pilot skill ones? What am I missing?

Since they're basically guaranteed to move first you can use them to block your opponent's ships from moving where they want and from taking actions. This is less of a thing if you're playing with fewer ships or without good asteroid placement or whatever, but once you get practice with them they turn into really annoying hazards that also happen to have decent guns.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Strobe posted:

How cheap they are, how many you can field, and how many dice they chuck if you take them around in gang-bang formation.

Is that a thing? My second game was just a ball of TIE fighters unloading on whatever wandered in front of them. The first game I tried splitting them up into wings of 2 and between not taking advantage of my maneuverability and basically only firing with half of my ships in a given turn I was doing pretty poorly, but once I realized I could just take a ball of TIE fighters with great synergy I felt a little better.

Definitely a lot of fun, though, and I'm going back to LGS tomorrow to buy more poo poo. What's worth looking at for Imperials?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So I decided to pick this up today. 80 bux got me a starter, 2 extra Fighters, and a B-Wing.

Our first game was the cheapest variants of each ship, and boy I can confirm Academy Pilots are loving useless. Our second game was us taking a more balanced list (I think it ended up like 68 points for me and 72 for him (on 2 loving ships)) and he lost like second turn when I took down his X-Wing in one turn of firing.

Did you fly your pilots in a tight formation or did you spread them out over the board? It's almost always best to group ships like that together and treat them as one formation. This article really helped me with that back when I started the game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/915993/maneuvers-101-lots-pictures

From that article, this is a really good formation to start with:

It's a nice formation because you can give every ship the same bank maneuver and they won't run in to each other:

Edit: It sounds like you already figured that all out, but yeah Academy Pilots need to stick together to be effective.

With only two Rebel ships I usually cap point limits at 50, or 60 max. As you found out, focused fire from 4+ ships can often wipe out a rebel ship in one turn. At 72 points a third rebel ship is almost mandatory to keep up with the number of Ties, so until that's possible I'd lower the point cap a bit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Is that a thing? My second game was just a ball of TIE fighters unloading on whatever wandered in front of them. The first game I tried splitting them up into wings of 2 and between not taking advantage of my maneuverability and basically only firing with half of my ships in a given turn I was doing pretty poorly, but once I realized I could just take a ball of TIE fighters with great synergy I felt a little better.

Definitely a lot of fun, though, and I'm going back to LGS tomorrow to buy more poo poo. What's worth looking at for Imperials?

A TIE Swarm (A ton of TIEs + Howlrunner) is a very good list. It's the reason a lot of people have like 7 TIE Fighters. If you don't want to play that (totally understandable, I think it's super boring), I'd recommend as much as you want to buy between the Imperial Aces box, a Lambda Shuttle or Firespray so you can play with a big ship, and a TIE Phantom or two.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Yeah, this basically. Don't forget to abuse barrel roll, it's a deceptively strong action for getting juuuuust out of someones firing arc, or bouncing into range 1. Also, 1 speed turns will make Rebels hate you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are Decimators an okay choice in larger games?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not a clue. They're brand new.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Are Decimators an okay choice in larger games?

My limited play experience of like six games with it (assuming you mean the 100-point standard as "larger games") has been "usually." They're going to get focused on by most opponents but it's beefy enough to handle it for a while and put out respectable damage until it goes down. If you fit it for maximum "gently caress you, red dice" it hits pretty drat hard, and if you fit it for maximum survivability it will hang out lobbing three dice a turn for a reasonably long time.

Plus it looks cool.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FFG accidentally had a page up for the digital tools earlier, they look pretty cool, but not part of competitive play

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't know if anyone cares, but I recently discovered that the mini-sized cards for this game, in Fantasy Flight mini sleeves, fit perfectly in a deck box if you put them in wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

I don't know if anyone cares, but I recently discovered that the mini-sized cards for this game, in Fantasy Flight mini sleeves, fit perfectly in a deck box if you put them in wrong.

You may have just solved my Eldritch Horror storage issues.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
Here is FFG's info page on the custom mission creator. Could be pretty interested!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JumpyMonky posted:

Here is FFG's info page on the custom mission creator. Could be pretty interested!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5021

Oh I'm stupidly okay with this. I keep meaning to do some manner of "campaign play", and this will help a lot.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
I just got my first Lambda Shuttle, and while I love my space bus dearly, in its first game it… did not comport itself with grace.

My list was:

Colonel Jendon + ST 321 + Anti Pursuit Laser
Colonel Vessery
"Echo" + Advanced Cloaking Device

I managed to fly Echo off the table, and my space bus flew straight into the heat of battle and proceeded to hit things every turn, preventing it from using its target lock action.

I guess most of the failure was my piloting, but anyone got any better ideas for how to use the shuttle? (Fwiw, I've got two core sets, a defender, phantom, shuttle and bomber)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you want the shuttle to get stuck in, maybe put a weapons engineer and a Fire Control on it? That way, you attack, you get a lock on something, FCS gets you the lock on the ship and, thanks to ST-321, a lock on anything else on the board. This way you don't actually need to use a lock action to manage to have the synergy with Vessery. I'd drop the Anti Pursuit Laser, though.

• Locked thread