Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ahmeni posted:

Ludum Dare 30 starts in a few minutes. Anyone participating this round?

Edit: theme is "Connected Worlds". Weak.

Not a great theme, yea. Going literal with it, alien worlds you fight on to reconstruct a teleporter to get to the next alien world. Actually have most of the major parts of it done, hoping to just tweak and clean it up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
You know what, I'm considering pounding out a very simple Roguelike for Ludum Dare. Even though I won't be sleeping from now until the 18 hours when the 48 hour contest ends, I doubt I can get anything out that fast, so I'll most likely be going for the more relaxed rule 3 day contest (42 hours should be enough time to get something out). I'm thinking of doing it just because I've been programming a lot the last few days and need to work on something fun to refresh myself. Not that what I'm working on isn't fun, just that I'm doing a tedious part of it right now and need a break from it.

So as someone that has never done a Ludum Dare or any contest before, are there any gotchas I need to look out for?

Nevermind, something just came up that I have to do, and it's going to eat such a chunk of time tonight and tomorrow, that there's really no chance of getting something out unless something miraculous happens. Oh well, maybe next time :geno:

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 24, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Not a great theme, yea. Going literal with it, alien worlds you fight on to reconstruct a teleporter to get to the next alien world. Actually have most of the major parts of it done, hoping to just tweak and clean it up tomorrow.

This was literally my original idea but now I'm going with something weird instead that won't be finished.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
How LD30 going along? Heres my entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?uid=26880
2d platformer player in terminal and written in Go.

In other news ive bought $20 worth of ads for my horrible android game, and got a whopping 7 clicks. I think im doing it wrong.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

evilentity posted:

How LD30 going along? Heres my entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=26880
Fixed your link.

I decided to participate this time as well, so here's my entry, just a silly physics thing: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=30601

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilentity posted:

How LD30 going along? Heres my entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?uid=26880

In other news ive bought $20 worth of ads for my horrible android game, and got a whopping 7 clicks. I think im doing it wrong.

you paid for ads? aren't they meant to pay you?

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Hi, my first post here. I have some decent knowledge in programming with C++/Java and want to start developing a game as a hobby/side-project. After skimming through the last pages I see there's not a lot of love for Unity, but UE4 is praised and the savior of gamedev. Which technology would you guys recommend for getting my feet wet? I fear UE4 might be too much for a single person to develop a game in, and I read here that Unity is good for small teams, however can be a pain. Or if I plan on making a 2D game just go with something like pygame and learn python?

I want to start on something simple and stupid so I can expand my knowledge on the subject and maybe make something more complex in the future. I was thinking of something along the lines of a top down shooter as the base gameplay, with possibility to expand into a rogue-like, similiar to the Binding of Isaac.

EDIT: I would also add the recently released CRAWL as inspiration.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 25, 2014

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

M_Bison posted:

Hi, my first post here. I have some decent knowledge in programming with C++/Java and want to start developing a game as a hobby/side-project. After skimming through the last pages I see there's not a lot of love for Unity, but UE4 is praised and the savior of gamedev. Which technology would you guys recommend for getting my feet wet? I fear UE4 might be too much for a single person to develop a game in, and I read here that Unity is good for small teams, however can be a pain. Or if I plan on making a 2D game just go with something like pygame and learn python?

I want to start on something simple and stupid so I can expand my knowledge on the subject and maybe make something more complex in the future.

If you aren't married to any particular language, and you're fine with sticking to a 2D game, I would suggest LÖVE. The engine is easy to learn and perfect for getting your feet wet in game development, while still having all the features and the "power" needed to make larger games with it once you get past your initial wading into development. I know this isn't popular to say, but I would recommend against anything python; even disregarding any issues with the language itself, distributing python based apps is a pain in the rear end and there's no reason to choose it over something like LÖVE or even PolyCode.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

M_Bison posted:

I want to start on something simple and stupid so I can expand my knowledge on the subject and maybe make something more complex in the future. I was thinking of something along the lines of a top down shooter as the base gameplay, with possibility to expand into a rogue-like, similiar to the Binding of Isaac.

If you want to work in C++ use UE4. If you have to work in C# then Unity is the suggested course. As it happens you can work almost entirely in neither with either Playmaker for unity or blueprint for UE4. Also Cryengine is exists in C++ and people that use it seem pretty happy with it (and also don't care that Crytech might melt down at any point).

If you're looking at developing 2d games than something like game maker/Love/Monkey might be easiest for you. Unity and UE4 have 2 options, but for a pure 2d game it's probably easiest to use a pure 2d engine.

You can make game in basically any engine. Binding of Issac was written in Action Script 2 which is a pretty weak system.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 25, 2014

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

M_Bison posted:

I fear UE4 might be too much for a single person to develop a game in
Check out the Epic example game "Flappy Chicken" (it's available on most of the mobile marketplaces.) That was originally done by a single artist in a week or two.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

The King of Swag posted:

If you aren't married to any particular language, and you're fine with sticking to a 2D game, I would suggest LÖVE. The engine is easy to learn and perfect for getting your feet wet in game development, while still having all the features and the "power" needed to make larger games with it once you get past your initial wading into development. I know this isn't popular to say, but I would recommend against anything python; even disregarding any issues with the language itself, distributing python based apps is a pain in the rear end and there's no reason to choose it over something like LÖVE or even PolyCode.

This is good advice. I made my first games in Love many many years ago, it was a great starting point.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Fixed your link.

I decided to participate this time as well, so here's my entry, just a silly physics thing: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=30601

Oops my bad. So the train is yours, I see. As I said before, it is lacking explosions severely.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
Jesus christ that last 24 hours killed me. I meant to do 48 hours but I was too ambitious. I still kinda like the results though, even if it's buggy. I've never made a game before so I'll let it slide.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=40108

I'll check out the rest of your entries when I'm drunker. I feel like I'm going to die.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BabelFish posted:

Check out the Epic example game "Flappy Chicken" (it's available on most of the mobile marketplaces.) That was originally done by a single artist in a week or two.

it's calle clicky something. and it depresses me that it took a whole week

I'm trying to make an entire game in ue4 with blueprints only. as a total newbie there is a lot to learn but I'm finally getting some fundamental grasps and it would be easy to hack it out but I am achieving a framework where add content easily without having to copy and paste madly and cause all sorts of hard work for myself later on*. I'm really proud of the progress I an making and the potential

* which is not the kind of advice I am getting on the unreal forums etc. those guys are like, don't bother with play controllers, just copy and paste yor controlled code into vehicle, and it's like, what if I want to change something. redundancy sucks and makes life hard for yourself

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 26, 2014

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
I guess while everyone's postin ludum entries, here's mine! http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=36229

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
A recent Epic blog post included a link to an architectural demonstration with UE4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEuSxAEXPA

:sbahj:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TBF that is static lighting only, and if I recall, cranked up the settings in the .ini above what is standard. Amazing to be sure, but I really wanna see some dynamic movement in there, not quite at the stage where we are playing games in that environment.. YET

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 28, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

echinopsis posted:

TBF that is static lighting only, and if I recall, cranked up the settings in the .ini above what is standard. Amazing to be sure, but I really wanna see some dynamic movement in there, not quite at the stage where we are playing games in that environment.. YET

He does a little dynamic lighting/shadows in this video. And it still looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWY4gtLG8sY

And his rain shader test looks neat, but it still looks... off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC0PdspqNYk

tehsid fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 28, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't notice it being bad in a game, but in a youtube video it's easy to nitpick. It doesn't seem like they're getting enough frames of animation, so it looks like noise rather than splashing water.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tehsid posted:

He does a little dynamic lighting/shadows in this video. And it still looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWY4gtLG8sY

And his rain shader test looks neat, but it still looks... off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC0PdspqNYk

oh yeah I never noticed before. Even more amazing!

I've been playing around with static vs stationary lights and the framerate difference is amazing

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't notice it being bad in a game, but in a youtube video it's easy to nitpick. It doesn't seem like they're getting enough frames of animation, so it looks like noise rather than splashing water.

Agreed. I don't think it would be an issue during gameplay. But it the most jarring part is the first scene with the close up of the step. It looks fine after that. Either way, impressive stuff.

echinopsis posted:

oh yeah I never noticed before. Even more amazing!

I've been playing around with static vs stationary lights and the framerate difference is amazing

Yeah, I've been back into UE4 of late, and seeing what can really push the engine is amazing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI Unity News:

quote:

Unite Training Day videos

We recorded the Unite 2014 Training Day, and you can download the example project used and follow the course from the comfort of your home or office. Learn step by step how to build an isometric survival shooter game! Check it out http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...7TFLs15ycYQWhTk

This is a big deal because they did not release the one last year.

quote:

All the Unite 2014 sessions

What’s more, we’ve also recorded all the conference sessions from Unite 2014 and you can binge watch them. New and upcoming features, best practice advice from Unity engineers and the community, inspiration and ideas – it’s all here.

http://unity3d.com/unite/archive/20...7TFLs15ycYQWhTk

Unity 5 and free WebGL

Our work on Unity 5 is progressing steadily, and it’s currently in a closed internal company beta. Also, we’re very pleased to tell you that the Unity 5 WebGL build option will be available to all completely free of charge.

Emphasis mine. I was able to get an HTML5 build that worked. It's slow to build, buggy with bad performance, (5 is crazy buggy right now) and crashed on scene transition but it worked right out of the box.

quote:

Intel inside Android devices

A new generation of high-performance chips are coming to Android, and we’re very happy that we’re entering into a close collaboration with Intel to ensure your content runs super fast on them. Amongst other things, this will include native support for Intel’s x86 processors.
Learn more

https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...7TFLs15ycYQWhTk

Target TVs

Not content with multiplatform deployment to 17 platforms we’ve added yet another. There are already millions of Samsung Smart TVs in the field and the market is exploding. You can target it today with the public preview of our new build option.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/08/20...7TFLs15ycYQWhTk

That’s not all though, thanks to our collaboration with Google, we’ve also brought the power of the Unity engine to the Google Android TV developer preview. It’s available right now as part of the latest Unity patch build update.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...ews_august_2014

2 More build options (plus helping android TV).

Unity is started to look a lot better/affordable esp. since you can sometimes get 40% off ($800 for Unity Pro 4/5, no mobile) with permanent license.

That gets you full lighting/features Windows, Mac, Linux, HTML5, Web player and you can use iOS/Android free where you might have disabled lighting anyway.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a way to get 40% off Unity without being a student?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

echinopsis posted:

poo poo really? yeah let me know how it goes etc. I've tried the answerhub too but maybe I'll check it again. Right now I need help making a camera and then I can get stuck into making some content
TO be fair those videos are done with static meshes and static lighting and dynamic lighting will not look like that for a while yet but yeah for real-time flying around they look amazing, I will be really impressed when people get poo poo moving in them too. We should also take this conversation here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947 :shobon:

Moving our conversation here! Got my appointment with the UE4 tutor guy tonight, I'm going to see if we can re-do my weapons system and third person aim offsets in an hour, if not I have a back up hour paid for so I can go over time if need be. I'll probably stream my whole session to twitch tonight (twitch.tv/nuzzletops) at 9PM EST, if you want to check it out. I'm going to start migrating things kind of into what you're doing, so that it's modular and upgradeable. I was just going to make a fun single player version of my grand idea, then worry about making it multiplayer and poo poo later, but while I've got this programming guru dude I might as well start from the ground up in a proper fashion.

M_Bison posted:

EDIT: I would also add the recently released CRAWL as inspiration.

I took one semester of C++ in highschool about 9 years ago. UE4 is native C++ and also has the visual scripting blueprints. I feel like if I can get in and make a semi-working prototype in a week, then someone with programming skills can surpass the gently caress out of me. Don't be scared of UE4 (I started with Unity because I thought UE4 would be out of my league, based on the brand alone... turns out I was dead wrong). It's not the most devastating of investments at $20 a month, you can try it out and get out without too much damage, but I doubt you'll be "getting out" of UE4 anytime soon. Also, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that if you get Unreal Engine, and stop your subscription, you can keep everything from that current version of UE4, you just don't get the updates if you're not paying monthly. Pretty sure I read that on the UE4 forums.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

Moving our conversation here! Got my appointment with the UE4 tutor guy tonight, I'm going to see if we can re-do my weapons system and third person aim offsets in an hour, if not I have a back up hour paid for so I can go over time if need be. I'll probably stream my whole session to twitch tonight (twitch.tv/nuzzletops) at 9PM EST, if you want to check it out. I'm going to start migrating things kind of into what you're doing, so that it's modular and upgradeable. I was just going to make a fun single player version of my grand idea, then worry about making it multiplayer and poo poo later, but while I've got this programming guru dude I might as well start from the ground up in a proper fashion.

unfortch 9pm EST is 1pm for me and during my lunch, I would love to have watched it, thanks for the offer. Keen to know how you're going about making it modular etc. for whatever reason I feel content spending time making things upgradeable and editable, probably because I have better skills doing that than making content itself

Right now I am all about the cameras. Trying to sort out how to control the camera with the player controller, and then make macros or function libraries or something so when I make a new level [this applies to ships too] I add as little redundant code as possible . I've already made a ship spawning macro so my new level only have to call the function and give it the starting player location and it automatically spawns a ship on that location. I need to move the possession code into the function too. i find it satisfying to have as much code in functions and macros and reusable as possible.

echinopsis posted:

a visual from some of the latest stuff I am working on

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RizieN posted:

Also, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that if you get Unreal Engine, and stop your subscription, you can keep everything from that current version of UE4, you just don't get the updates if you're not paying monthly. Pretty sure I read that on the UE4 forums.

Yes the launcher will still work and let you download launcher versions that you had when it ran out. Also the free stuff in the marketplace will work too. So for many people just $19 once every couple months is probably sufficient.

You do lose access to the GitHub however.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Go to a local game development meetup and ask around. We have a tiny game dev community but the leader of a Unity meetup talked with Unity and offered pretty good deals (I think it was something like 40% off). They have a sales department so it never hurts to ask directly.

lethal trash
Feb 23, 2002
You will be subjected to freezing experiments in Dachau.
At my office we've been having so many problems using git as our primary source control for all assets. So now we're looking at alternatives, those being Perforce and Plastic SCM. I don't think we'll be going with Perforce, so that really only leaves Plastic SCM. I tried it out a little bit last weekend for the LD30 and I was pretty pleased. It was fast, the error messages were helpful and everything worked nicely. I am wondering if anyone else has used Plastic and if they can share their experiences? If you've used it in a production environment even better. I really want to know about the gotchas that come after longer use.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

lethal trash posted:

At my office we've been having so many problems using git as our primary source control for all assets. So now we're looking at alternatives, those being Perforce and Plastic SCM. I don't think we'll be going with Perforce, so that really only leaves Plastic SCM. I tried it out a little bit last weekend for the LD30 and I was pretty pleased. It was fast, the error messages were helpful and everything worked nicely. I am wondering if anyone else has used Plastic and if they can share their experiences? If you've used it in a production environment even better. I really want to know about the gotchas that come after longer use.

I must look into plastic, i thought perforce was one of the top ones... Just stay away from ClearCase... if anyone suggests using it... Shoot them with extreme predjudice

Sjonsson
Oct 7, 2013

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

FuzzySlippers posted:

Just a little insert here: be sure why you really want Unity pro. I've been developing in the free version for almost a year now and sure there are some perks about Pro but unless you need something that is a pro exclusive there's no point in getting it. Sorry if I'm acting Cpt. Obvious here!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Finished that game this thread helped me a lot with, thanks to anyone that helped me out!

e: final final version http://cargocollective.com/Pizzasplace/Super-Run-Jumper

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 29, 2014

Sjonsson
Oct 7, 2013

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Pizzatime posted:

Finished that game this thread helped me a lot with, thanks to anyone that helped me out!

http://www.fastswf.com/KrCPbBI

I tried it out, got to 5k highscore. It's a decent runner, well done!

I'm not sure if there was any kind of level progression except for the timeframes between the bullets. If there is more than that I would make the progression a little faster so the player gets a bit more curious about what's coming next. Once I realised that the bullets were coming faster I was looking for 'Hey what's next?' but never really got to it.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Sjonsson posted:

I tried it out, got to 5k highscore. It's a decent runner, well done!

I'm not sure if there was any kind of level progression except for the timeframes between the bullets. If there is more than that I would make the progression a little faster so the player gets a bit more curious about what's coming next. Once I realised that the bullets were coming faster I was looking for 'Hey what's next?' but never really got to it.

After a while the music stops, there's a big bullet, then the music changes and it switches to red bullets at an insane rate. There's stuff like your points increasing by a bigger rate the more to the right of the screen you are, indicated by the LO, MID, HI in the lower left and if you quit out of the level by pressing space instead of dying your end points get multiplied by 1.5. It was supposed to have a lot of levels and you'd move along the overworld and so on but in the end you gotta know when to move on.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 29, 2014

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

echinopsis posted:

unfortch 9pm EST is 1pm for me and during my lunch, I would love to have watched it, thanks for the offer. Keen to know how you're going about making it modular etc. for whatever reason I feel content spending time making things upgradeable and editable, probably because I have better skills doing that than making content itself

Right now I am all about the cameras. Trying to sort out how to control the camera with the player controller, and then make macros or function libraries or something so when I make a new level [this applies to ships too] I add as little redundant code as possible . I've already made a ship spawning macro so my new level only have to call the function and give it the starting player location and it automatically spawns a ship on that location. I need to move the possession code into the function too. i find it satisfying to have as much code in functions and macros and reusable as possible.

So I had the meeting last night, and I'm very pleased with it. I kind of touched on those subjects (modular, upgradeable) with him last night, and as long as you use variables for everything it should be fairly simple to upgrade your stuff. By using variables for everything I mean mostly everything, if you could just type in "MuzzleFlashSocket" you might as well make it a variable and put it everywhere. Same for damage, and anything else that would hold a value for your weapon or character or whatever it is.

He was super knowledgeable and very friendly, very easy to get along with. We basically re-wrote my poo poo from scratch, my Aim Offsets and my rifle weapon. The way I was doing it was very unnecessary and inefficient. For $40 an hour it's totally worth it, especially if you can keep the conversation focused and not get off on tangents (I love to ramble).

The video is highlighted here: http://www.twitch.tv/nuzzletops/b/562928382

The first few minutes aren't capturing all the windows, and I had some network issues in the beginning, so skip forward a little bit. We start by fixing my aim offsets and then we work on my rifle weapon and then we run out of time.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

lethal trash posted:

Why are you leaving out Perforce? It's free for up to 20 users. Do you have more than that?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

lethal trash posted:

You might want to try a different git client. I found the git client from Github (it tells you nothing about what went wrong) to be horrible and most of my complaints with Git went away as soon as I started using SourceTree. Most people I know either use SourceTree or the Git command line itself.

Also what system are you using Unity or UE? If UE you might want to consider Peforce, it's what Epic itself uses and has a direct integration into the editor.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm using SourceTree and BitBucket with no problems at all (friend pays for BitBucket so we use it).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
SourceTree and BitBucket are great. Also free private repositories.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RizieN posted:

I'm using SourceTree and BitBucket with no problems at all (friend pays for BitBucket so we use it).

Agreed Git + SourceTree + Bitbucket is the best combo I've found. It's 100% free for up to 5 users after that it's cheap. Everyone loves github but the lack of free private repos put me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The only git GUI clients I recommend are Sourcetree and SmartGit.