Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ShaneB posted:

For $400 on textile I'd personally suggest Revit Airwave jacket and pants. If you don't want mesh feel free to look elsewhere.

I recommend against the Airwave. Main zipper on my jacket began to fail after just a single riding season, and the pants (which I was previously happy with) have ripped open in the crotch (not related to a crash). The jacket zipper thing at least is a known common issue with them.

Gloves have been OK, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yerok posted:

Anyone have experience with Alpinestars Tech 3 and 7 sizing? I want to get 7's from my buddy that's a dealer, but the only boots I can find in town to try on are 3's.

I have both, and both fit exactly with my US shoe size.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you have a $400 budget and are looking for a full suit, you should go used. I got my top of the line Revit suit off of ADVRider for less than that.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Ordered a Rocket RKT-101 from Dennis Kirk, where they're blowing them out for $54. Free shipping if you bundle another 35 in merch, 8 if you don't. Also grabbed a Scorpion EXO 750 elsewhere, which I've already showroomed.

Retiring a crap KBC Tarmac with Radiation graphics, which had a good run but needs to go. There just isn't enough season left in MI, and given that I've smacked pavement in a Meijer special without becoming a ward of the state, I'll have to pass on the luxo-lids for now.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I'm looking for some day to day boots, something that is comfortable to walk in, black, with a clean look on the toe (no crazy stitching, no sliders, etc etc). I've looked high and low and I've more or less given up and will probably get some Danner's or something instead, unless someone has a recommendation? What rules most things out for me is my wide fit foot, otherwise theres some nice dianese options.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

devians posted:

I'm looking for some day to day boots, something that is comfortable to walk in, black, with a clean look on the toe (no crazy stitching, no sliders, etc etc). I've looked high and low and I've more or less given up and will probably get some Danner's or something instead, unless someone has a recommendation? What rules most things out for me is my wide fit foot, otherwise theres some nice dianese options.

Daytona's.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Once again motorcyclegear.com is coming through for me and has sent me an RMA for the gloves - but it's only an RMA for a repair evaluation. If the gloves can be repaired, they will be sent back, if they can't, I get a store credit.

I guess that's fair enough, but for 35 day old gloves, I'm thinking of just using the return protection on my credit card.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Sidi makes fairly subtly styled touring boots in goony hobbit-foot sizes.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Glove fit question: is it normal to not be able to completely open your hand (all five fingers spread wide) with a properly sized glove? It feels fine in normal riding position, but if I spread my hand (especially the thumb) it stretches across the palm keeping me from from getting my hand completely flat. The gloves are the right size per the sizing chart..

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

the nicker posted:

Glove fit question: is it normal to not be able to completely open your hand (all five fingers spread wide) with a properly sized glove? It feels fine in normal riding position, but if I spread my hand (especially the thumb) it stretches across the palm keeping me from from getting my hand completely flat. The gloves are the right size per the sizing chart..

Leather? It'll stretch.

My Icon gloves felt tight for the first few weeks. Now, 3 years on they fit like... well... gloves.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
And if they're leather, get them wet with some mink oil (or other waterproofing fluid) and wear them for a while. Make a fist, open and close your fist, etc. That ought to help stretch and fit them better, and they'll have some protection from the elements.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
They're the a* smx air 2, so they're mesh and leather. I think the leather is the tightest part, but it seems like a really long way to stretch.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
A lot of bike gear is only really comfortable/fits properly when you're in the riding position on the bike.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
One of my local rider buddies went down a week ago at about 45 MPH. He was wearing an "experimental" set of MX gear. The experimental part was that he was trying to wear full protection with less total covering for the hot weather. This might sound stupid, but his logic is sound, and the dude's been racing bikes for 20+ years, so he's not an idiot.

His total injuries:
A patch of rash along his forearm about 4" long and 2" wide.

His gear:
MX neck brace
A* gauntlet race gloves
Sidi MX boots
An MX chest guard/armor/jacket with the neck cutout for the neck brace (probably an A* one, I didn't catch which one he had)
A* Freeride underpants
A* mesh pants
Arai helmet

So he was nearly fully covered when he went down. His jacket was about shredded on the arm he came down on. The rash he had was from rubbing on the jacket, not the asphalt. His gloves took most of the fall (he rode it down all the way). His bike ended up in a lot of pieces. His helmet had a chunk taken out of the little air fin on the back, and the visor is scraped hard and wide all down where his cheekbone would be.

He has all of his gear in a sack and has been taking it to the local group rides as a reminder of why we should be wearing gear. Apparently one of the other groups got butthurt about him bringing his sack of thrashed gear and told him he shouldn't be trying to convince people to wear "all that stuff."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Duh, all you need is some crappy Bilt offroad gloves, an Icon field vest and a full face with your group's logo spraypainted on. All the protection you need.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Are neck braces really common? I do see a lot of fully kitted people riding around here but I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a neck brace on the road.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, but like I said, the guy is usually racing, so his priorities are different. It'd be nice if there was something like a neck brace lite(tm) that was integrated into the helmet/jacket for better neck/spine protection. There probably is one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I put some miles on my new Cortech Latigo Air boots, and it's amazing, I've never noticed my feet being hot or sweaty before, but feeling air rushing over them on the highway is AMAZING!

My Harley boots which are my normal go-to (I know, I know) since they're comfortable, sturdy, and look good, have completely thrashed soles, thanks to 100's of mile of walking in addition to riding in all sorts of weather. I really want to replace them with some of Dainese's casual-looking boots, but the Italians, it seems, don't cater to obese size-14 american feet :(

Lynza posted:

He has all of his gear in a sack and has been taking it to the local group rides as a reminder of why we should be wearing gear. Apparently one of the other groups got butthurt about him bringing his sack of thrashed gear and told him he shouldn't be trying to convince people to wear "all that stuff."

"how dare you try to convince people to be safe!" :argh:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 29, 2014

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elviscat posted:

I put some miles on my new Cortech Latigo Air boots, and it's amazing, I've never noticed my feet being hot or sweaty before, but feeling air rushing over them on the highway is AMAZING!

My Harley boots which are my normal go-to (I know, I know) since they're comfortable, sturdy, and look good, have completely thrashed soles, thanks to 100's of mile of walking in addition to riding in all sorts of weather. I really want to replace them with some of Dainese's casual-looking boots, but the Italians, it seems, don't cater to obese size-14 american feet :(

"how dare you try to convince people to be safe!" :argh:

I'm looking to replace my Sidi Stratas and those look nice. How do they fit around the calves? I have very thin calves and the Sidi's are loose around the top. I have been recommended Dainese since their boots can cinch up or down a few inches around the calves.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm looking to buy a leather riding jacket and right now I'm kind of trying to find one that's no more than $200 CAD before taxes. Apparently that's not very realistic? I'd be willing to push it up to $250. Any recommendations?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Gorson posted:

I'm looking to replace my Sidi Stratas and those look nice. How do they fit around the calves? I have very thin calves and the Sidi's are loose around the top. I have been recommended Dainese since their boots can cinch up or down a few inches around the calves.

The fit on the calf is very adjustable, it zips up around 6", then there's a massive velcro patch right on the calf area you can cinch up, I have pretty giant calves, but it looks like it could adjust in quite a ways.

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm looking to buy a leather riding jacket and right now I'm kind of trying to find one that's no more than $200 CAD before taxes. Apparently that's not very realistic? I'd be willing to push it up to $250. Any recommendations?

Look at closeouts/discounts

Shift makes really, really nice stuff:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/7085

Dunno how S&S's jackets are, but their gloves are really good quality, and this is a screaming deal, should be able to fit a piece of CE approved back armor in it for that price:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/7163

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for kids gear, specifically pants? My kid loves going for quick rides with us but we haven't been able to find anything really great for pants and would really prefer him to be wearing all the proper gear.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't know if you have a local motorcycle gear place/dealership, but ours (which is mostly Japanese bikes) has a pretty big selection of gear for kids. It's mostly MX stuff, so it's the armor-plated look, but they have all the neck braces and big boots and stuff. Maybe try something like that if you can?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

You really should be looking used. That's your best bet. Also check out http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/. Also consider whether you really want leather at your price point, and remember not to consider anything without the bare minimum installed elbow and shoulder armor. Also consider that your Canadian dollar is called the loonie.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, that seems like an awesome site but the only issue (for me) is that they don't ship out of the U.S.

Dang.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Lynza posted:

I don't know if you have a local motorcycle gear place/dealership, but ours (which is mostly Japanese bikes) has a pretty big selection of gear for kids. It's mostly MX stuff, so it's the armor-plated look, but they have all the neck braces and big boots and stuff. Maybe try something like that if you can?

Yeah we have a ful set of mx gear but most of the places are pretty leery of using it on the street.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't have kids, but they do apparently make stuff for them that isn't just for MX!

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/kids-motorcycle-gear#.VAESbPmwJ8E

This is obviously all stuff that Bike Bandit sells, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've got some Tourmaster gear and I've been pretty happy with it. It looks like they make youth sizes, so hopefully that'll work for you.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I guess I must drive a hard bargain or something.

Went down to the local cycle shop and walked out with a brand new Shoei GT Air for $602 after tax :woop:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wicaeed posted:

Went down to the local cycle shop and walked out with a brand new Shoei GT Air for $602 after tax :woop:

You mean these? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-helmet

You overpaid.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
No, the model with graphics.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-journey-helmet

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Graphics are almost a hundred extra? :crossarms:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Has anybody worn a pair of Tourmasters Solution WP 2.0 Road Boots? I am mainly looking to see how they size up to traditional combat/work boots before I try and place a order.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

M42 posted:

Lookin good 'aint cheap

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

M42 posted:

AGV K3 helmet just plain black is like $180. With the Gothic 46 design it was $250.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Wicaeed posted:

Nice job. Good helmet for a good price.

M42 posted:

Shoei has "a thing" with increasing their prices too much with graphics. The cheapest helmet will always be a generic, non-metallic/matte color. Mattes and metallics are more. Graphics are the most.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Psht. Got my exo400 for 99 on sale in white, gonna sharpie some :krad: poo poo on it and have graphics for like 12 bux.

Actually, speaking of, anyone ever clearcoated a helmet? I assume you block off all the vents and the face/neck hole to keep anything from getting on the EPS foam inside?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yup.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I went with a white Shoei and threw some stickers on there.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rythe posted:

Has anybody worn a pair of Tourmasters Solution WP 2.0 Road Boots? I am mainly looking to see how they size up to traditional combat/work boots before I try and place a order.
I dunno about the 2.0 but I got the older model and I love it. Comfortable, durable, waterproof as hell. Kinda stiff though.

And for all you discussing Shoeis, you should be aware that I went into a dealer recently and asked about Arais and the salesman came over and was like "yeah you need Arai don't get anything else I went through 8 Arais at the track watch me stand on the side of a bare Arai shell and it doesn't even flex see this cutaway where it's not fake reinforced where Snell does their impact tests like some other helmets see how all the cheek pads have cutouts for glasses now see this HJC we sell over here? HJC is poo poo get an Arai see this Shoei we sell over here? Shoei is poo poo, get an Arai"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
And then you learn that having a shell with a little flex might not be such a bad thing.