Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

AlienMachine posted:

Okay, so I may still have time to reach Gold V (For the "awesome" season rewards).

I'm actually not sure if your rank in the pre-season (started around December last year) can earn you the end of season rewards. But either way you still have a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

AlienMachine posted:

Okay, so I may still have time to reach Gold V (For the "awesome" season rewards).

You have about a month. Whenever they announce the end date sometime in October, a shitload of people are going to start paying diamond players to carry them into gold. When you run into those people the odds are 5 to 4 they will be on the enemy team, meaning you have to play slightly better than whatever MMR you want to make it to.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Previous Jesus posted:

I'm actually not sure if your rank in the pre-season (started around December last year) can earn you the end of season rewards. But either way you still have a few months.

It cannot. You are given season rewards at the end of S4, not the beginning of S5.

TheRevTastic
Jan 15, 2012

AlienMachine posted:

Technically you don't, the season ends a bit after worlds, then there is the pre-season, then the next season. You have until the season ends.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Ranked tends to go to hell once the rewards are announced

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

theflyingorc posted:

He said EACH. What happened is he forgot about Hecarim.
now days everybody wanna talk like they got something to neigh

The Dregs posted:

Can anyone give me some Yi tips? I keep trying him and I end up with more deaths than kills. His kits seems to say "go balls out", but then he just dies. Of course, the fact that I suck has a lot to do with it.

Think of him as a reset champion and a 1v1 champion as long as you can win an auto slapfight and not get hard cc'ed. Examples: Nasus, Nidalee, Olaf type champions where their slow does jack poo poo to your ulti and you can auto them down as long as you're farmed. Champions like Aatrox or Jax will ruin you 1v1. In teamfights you need to be the last one in after enemies have blown their hard cc spells/ultis, and if you get one reset, it's usually a ticket to a pentakill.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

TheRevTastic posted:

Technically you don't, the season ends a bit after worlds, then there is the pre-season, then the next season. You have until the season ends.

The season will end in November.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Emery posted:

I hate Shaco so much. What a gigantic piece of unfun bullshit.

What's the strategy to deal with him? I've done everything I can think of to keep him from splitpushing constantly but nothing seems to work.

Buy a pink and put it in a bush close to your tower and keep the lane pushed enough that you don't lose it. Buy sweeper once teamfights start happening. As a jungler, invade him and steal his red. He's very dependent on it. His early jungle dueling is one of the worst in the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

Buy a pink and put it in a bush close to your tower and keep the lane pushed enough that you don't lose it. Buy sweeper once teamfights start happening. As a jungler, invade him and steal his red. He's very dependent on it. His early jungle dueling is one of the worst in the game.

Under the condition that he hasn't prepared for you to be there. Getting feared by just one or two boxes can give him time to stab your prone back and kill you with his burst damage.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Wtf? Have you not played against a Smite/Ignite Shaco? His early dueling power is easily one of the best of all junglers due to the added DPS that ignite gives him plus the early damage he can deal with a well placed box, the Deceive crit and his passive. A Shaco who isn't early invading you isn't playing the champion right.

A Shaco should be looking for a kill, a buff steal, or at the very least a spent Flash from you.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

fnox posted:

Wtf? Have you not played against a Smite/Ignite Shaco? His early dueling power is easily one of the best of all junglers due to the added DPS that ignite gives him plus the early damage he can deal with a well placed box, the Deceive crit and his passive. A Shaco who isn't early invading you isn't playing the champion right.

A Shaco should be looking for a kill, a buff steal, or at the very least a spent Flash from you.

In my experience Shaco's always try to do a lvl 2 cheese with red in midlane these days, for whatever reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fnox posted:

Alternately, the Shaco that isn't invading you is repeatedly murdering your entire team and will have 15 kills in about 20 minutes.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Disinterested posted:

In my experience Shaco's always try to do a lvl 2 cheese with red in midlane these days, for whatever reason.

That also works since you're mostly immune to wards unless the enemy team knows what they're doing. It's also a good fallback option if you can't find the enemy jungler at Wraiths/Wolves.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Char posted:

Where are Space Marine J4 and Chaos Space Marine Darius?

Seriously, Riot, give me Steel Legion J4. The Steel Legion skins rock.

Also goddamn Lucian is still king shithead of midgame mountain, I love it. I've been going BORK/Triforce and he just does so much damage so quickly with that. Lucian + Nami is probably one of the better lanes to throw together right now simply because of how much ridiculous poke you can do with those two. (Alternative option: Lucian+Braum is still a terror botlane if Braum is ever unbanned)

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

AHH FUGH posted:

Not only is Shaco one of the most frightening junglers due to having more gank paths than anyone else in the game except maybe Eve(Shaco not only manages to be able to hop walls and come in from weird angles, but he has the most diverse lane ganks due to being able to position exactly how he wants) but he can also out-trade most people. Fear is an incredibly powerful mechanic: if Shaco uses boxes properly, not only is he adding additional DPS to himself, but he's removing your DPS entirely. He also has ignite for extra damage and crits built into his kit. There are very few people in this game that can duel Shaco early game.

The way you deal with Shaco is cut your losses and wait until midgame, if Shaco doesn't get enormously fed he's not doing much of anything past 25 minutes and will probably result in his team losing. The entire reason I don't play him much is that even though I generally go 9/1 or something ridiculous(+- about 5 kills, 3 deaths) by 20 minutes I start losing almost all of my power and then by 30 minutes I'm just rolling around in the dirt looking for scraps of farm where I can and praying nobody stops me.

Monathin posted:

Also goddamn Lucian is still king shithead of midgame mountain, I love it. I've been going BORK/Triforce and he just does so much damage so quickly with that.

I've been experimenting with BotRK/IE Lucian, it's a little bit less predictable than Triforce but it has the potential to completely shut people down. You trade more reliable all ins with Phage procs for overwhelming power. If you get a double crit you're basically guaranteed to kill whatever unlucky recipient dared to face off against you. You can also try Hanzo Steel BotRK/Ghostblade Lucian if you are getting ahead in lane because that build is absolutely nightmarish to lane against what with the CDR, APen and ult/Ghostblade synergy.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 30, 2014

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Would Runnan's hurricane not be worth it if you had something like a manamune or BotrK and two enemy champs that can dive you?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Would Runnan's hurricane not be worth it if you had something like a manamune or BotrK and two enemy champs that can dive you?

No.

You shouldn't even have a manamune unless your name is Jayce or Urgot.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
lol Runaan's is never worth it because the AD itemization is built around high damage autos with random crits. If you buy runaan's you're wasting an item slot that you could be using to get crits. ADCs are there to kill towers and tanks, not to shred an entire team with a low range Runaan's AoE.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Runaan's Hurricane is an item I recommend on AP Teemo against a team with no gap closers, and maybe Kayle in general. The unpredictable nature of its targeting makes it almost useless for most situations. The dream, of course, is to use BotRK on 3 people at once. More likely you're hitting your target and 2 minions. It's still not a very slot efficient carry item and for waveclear it's completely outclassed by Shiv. I don't even know why you would want it against divers, the DPS is not high enough that you would be able to kill 2 people at once.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Runaan's is never worth it, period. Stop buying Runaan's.

my pog boyfriend posted:

I've been experimenting with BotRK/IE Lucian, it's a little bit less predictable than Triforce but it has the potential to completely shut people down. You trade more reliable all ins with Phage procs for overwhelming power. If you get a double crit you're basically guaranteed to kill whatever unlucky recipient dared to face off against you. You can also try Hanzo Steel BotRK/Ghostblade Lucian if you are getting ahead in lane because that build is absolutely nightmarish to lane against what with the CDR, APen and ult/Ghostblade synergy.

Lucian has a metric shitton of divergent build paths and it's amazing to see what kind of stuff you can put together. I definitely am planning on running Hanzo Steel Lucian at some point when I get ahead in lane next time I play Lucian, and have been halfway thinking that Ghostblade can situationally sub in for LW depending on the teamcomp. Thoughts?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

my pog boyfriend posted:

Runaan's Hurricane is an item I recommend on AP Teemo against a team with no gap closers, and maybe Kayle in general. The unpredictable nature of its targeting makes it almost useless for most situations. The dream, of course, is to use BotRK on 3 people at once. More likely you're hitting your target and 2 minions. It's still not a very slot efficient carry item and for waveclear it's completely outclassed by Shiv. I don't even know why you would want it against divers, the DPS is not high enough that you would be able to kill 2 people at once.

Runaan's is stupid on AP teemo because you shouldn't even really be teamfighting with the guy. If you're standing still long enough to get off 2 or 3 auto attacks you're probably dead already. If you want waveclear build Morellos and put down a shroom in every wave.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Biggest Jerk posted:

The problem is after laning phase. There's no way in teamfights to utilize the passive without getting murdered.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Monathin posted:

Runaan's is never worth it, period. Stop buying Runaan's.

Lucian has a metric shitton of divergent build paths and it's amazing to see what kind of stuff you can put together. I definitely am planning on running Hanzo Steel Lucian at some point when I get ahead in lane next time I play Lucian, and have been halfway thinking that Ghostblade can situationally sub in for LW depending on the teamcomp. Thoughts?
You don't really have to sub in, you can get both. Ghostblade isn't an item that falls off tremendously late game, the active is still a very useful thing because the ability to arbitrarily give yourself attack speed while keeping Ghostblade's unique abilities. It's absurdly slot efficient when the active is up(though kind of lame when it isn't) which lets you power up in team fights and go nuts. Two sources of armour pen is never a bad thing either, and CDR is a pretty good stat on Lucian. If the enemy team seriously has no armour you can skip the LW with Ghostblade but if the enemy team isn't getting armour they're probably doing something wrong(or you have a super fed Anivia or whatever)

exethan posted:

Runaan's is stupid on AP teemo because you shouldn't even really be teamfighting with the guy. If you're standing still long enough to get off 2 or 3 auto attacks you're probably dead already. If you want waveclear build Morellos and put down a shroom in every wave.

Yeah, it's not great!! But as far as champions you can kind of justify it on there's Teemo, Kayle, and maybe AP Kog?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hurricane is a bad item that is also really fun

fnox
May 19, 2013

Hurricane was used on Kayle not because she could just stack on hits but because of the splash damage each shot applies, it basically made waves disappear, although her damage has been tuned down a lot.

Some Korean will eventually find a niche use for the item again, something like, Essence Reaver + Hurricane to make champions fundamentally manaless, poo poo like that.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets some minor buff and becomes a great item. As we've seen from Ziggs and Mao, small changes in how a specific thing works can be the difference between never seen and pick-or-ban and items should work the same way

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If they wanted to fix runaans they should:

1) add crit on it but the smallest amount
2) make it build out of a Zeal and something (just remove recurve bow from the game please)
3) maybe reduce the target split to two instead of three to compensate for adding a small but reasonable amount of crit

You'd have an interesting item for on hit champions and ADC with on-hit effects built into their kit like Varus and Twitch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I have been working on a smurf account for the past few months in order to help me get over ranked anxiety, and to be able to practice ADC, top, and assassin champs, who I feel really weak with. The plan was to just hit Bronze V or whatever, and then I'd be able to play without worrying so much about getting stomped, because it didn't matter.

I am now 5-0 in my placements, and I'm wondering if I should either put on my tryhard pants, or just go back to my main and see if I can steamroll my way to Gold after placements - this is doing wonders for my confidence levels. I just roflstomped a Ryze top with Tryndamere, a champ who I've literally played once or twice before, back in season 2. I crushed my way out of Bronze last season to get the Silver rewards, but I literally haven't played a single ranked game on my main this season, and I'm wondering whether it's pretty indicative of the players I'll face on my main's placement matches.

I wasn't even going to bother with ranked this season.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Libertine posted:

2) make it build out of a Zeal and something (just remove recurve bow from the game please)
3) maybe reduce the target split to two instead of three to compensate for adding a small but reasonable amount of crit

You'd have an interesting item for on hit champions and ADC with on-hit effects built into their kit like Varus and Twitch.

4) make it prioritize champions so that it doesn't end up wasting all of its supposed teamfight power on minions or malzahar voidlings or whatever stupid poo poo is closer to your target than something that actually needs to get hit

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Monathin posted:

There are no real subs for LW, you need to build it on all ADCs eventually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Libertine posted:

Instead of making it just another zeal item, I'd rather they stick a boatload of AD on it at a higher price, nix most or all of the AS, and maybe add a bit of cdr. Turn it into an item for the more caster-y of the carries, who in most cases really want the side shots as well (Varus for his marks, MF for her steroid, Graves for cdr on his E, etc.) Yeah it might get worse on Teemo and Kog, but who really cares about that? Might make Lucian busted, but everything does that because he's a dumb champion.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Bland posted:

No.

You shouldn't even have a manamune unless your name is Jayce or Urgot.

Yorick.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

You shouldn't be playing Yorick unless you're a jerk.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why am I so bad with Braum when I'm pretty decent with Mundo? They have similar playstyles so I don't know.

But yeah, what is Mundo's status in the meta currently?

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Make it so a Hurricane-equipped Ezreal fires of Qs like Twisted Fate's wild cards.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

What's a Yorick

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bland posted:

What's a Yorick

A miserable pile of poo poo.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Bland posted:

What's a Yorick

Someone who doesn't counter Veigar on TT, especially when paired with Shaco and Morde for a 6v2 gimmick comp

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Get Innocuous! posted:

Make it so a Hurricane-equipped Ezreal fires of Qs like Twisted Fate's wild cards.

One thing I really miss from Dota is aghanim's scepter. I wish league had an item that affected a champ's skills or passive uniquely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hurricane is a bad item that is also really fun

I like the idea of Hurricane. I want it to be a good item but the only two champion it's actually any good on is Teemo and Kayle but that's only if you're planning on doing nothing but split pushing the entire game Teemo with a Hurricane and some AP can push lanes instantly but that's basically a strategy along the lines of "dear the rest of my team; I hope you did not expect me to be fighting with you, ever, at all, for any reason."

The rule to follow is "never buy Hurricane, ever." It's a neat idea but in practice it's a terrible, terrible item. The only stat it gives you beyond the passive is attack speed which is utterly useless without any other stats but it's expensive and...yeah.

• Locked thread