Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Big Beef City posted:

Why is it anglicized as 'Sz' then rather than 'Sr'

Like Sriracha, I get that, it's a sharp "suree" sound, so if I say "suree""chwan", that's correct? Interesting.

The current romanization of its namesake is "Sichuan", it just is called "Szechuan" due to inertia, like Peking Duck and a lot of other Chinese dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

i have no idea. the alternate way of spelling it is Sichuan. it's like some Hungarian came in to spell it for us or something

and no there's no real "r" sound in it

Well that actually solves it for me, if you think about it.
If you think british/australian and say "Sir", as you said, or "Sirs" more specifically that accent would say "Sirs" as "sAyz" Hence the the "Sz" rather than "Sr".

That's actually quite remarkable a hole-y ghost, very interesting.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
authentic chinese food is lips and assholes fried in sewer oil served with a side of dead fish from the fishtank in the lobby so really you should be thankful

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

...of SCIENCE! posted:

authentic chinese food is lips and assholes fried in sewer oil served with a side of dead fish from the fishtank in the lobby so really you should be thankful

that sounds delicious what's it called?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

...of SCIENCE! posted:

i know its fuckin delicious isn't it?

gently caress you if you don't like some teriyaki beef on a stick

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Just an fyi you can't be racist in GBS anymore, and this is a prime example.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

thanks prince philip

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Just go to Panda Express...it's better than a lot of the chinese restaurants I've been to, and it's sure as hell gonna be consistent

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Just go to Panda Express...it's better than a lot of the chinese restaurants I've been to, and it's sure as hell gonna be consistent

Makes you gotta poop like HELLA bad exactly twenty minutes later so watch out

god that beijing beef though like seriously it is breaded beef it is steak that is kind of crunchy gently caress my fat rear end in a top hat I want it in me daddy I want it I want it bad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Makes you gotta poop like HELLA bad exactly twenty minutes later so watch out

god that beijing beef though like seriously it is breaded beef it is steak that is kind of crunchy gently caress my fat rear end in a top hat I want it in me daddy I want it I want it bad

Please don't put deep fried beef nuggets in your pussy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

Please don't put deep fried beef nuggets in your pussy.

dont kinkshame

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Serious reply: A lot of those places were run by first gen immigrants who rode the boat over in the 60s and have now retired and sold it to the viets coming over now to run. Viets are literally ruining "chinese" food

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just want to reiterate:
Do not put Gen. Tso's chicken in your rear end in a top hat. Do not insert any chinese take away foods into ANY orifice other than your mouth. And even then, please take care not to burn yourself.

Thank you.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Big Beef City posted:

I just want to reiterate:
Do not put Gen. Tso's chicken in your rear end in a top hat. Do not insert any chinese take away foods into ANY orifice other than your mouth. And even then, please take care not to burn yourself.

Thank you.

Stuff charred steak into your b hole and die of colon cancer like a real american

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a chinese noodle place in south brooklyn where the most expensive dish is just $6

it's good as hell. but that isn't really "american" chinese food so

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

Serious reply: A lot of those places were run by first gen immigrants who rode the boat over in the 60s and have now retired and sold it to the viets coming over now to run. Viets are literally ruining "chinese" food
hmm is it ironic that the last vietnamese restaurant i went to was totally chinese owned & operated then?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

hmm is it ironic that the last vietnamese restaurant i went to was totally chinese owned & operated then?
similarly, go to any japanese restaurant and there will be chinese people working in the kitchen

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

there's a chinese noodle place in south brooklyn where the most expensive dish is just $6

it's good as hell. but that isn't really "american" chinese food so

I used to go to a place in AZ where they made the noodles in house. Fresh!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Big Beef City posted:

Well that actually solves it for me, if you think about it.
If you think british/australian and say "Sir", as you said, or "Sirs" more specifically that accent would say "Sirs" as "sAyz" Hence the the "Sz" rather than "Sr".

That's actually quite remarkable a hole-y ghost, very interesting.

Its more like sue-shhh-wan just said all at once. The old wade giles romanization of Chinese that brought us poo poo like Szechuan isn't used anywhere anymore and are usually just really old holdovers. Most places use the modern pinyin spellings like sichuan which makes a whole lot more sense once you get the basic phonetic differences down.

Also, most Chinese restaurants have an English menu, and a much much larger Chinese menu. If your Chinese place doesn't have pork blood cake in the hot and sour soup it is probably trash.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 31, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

similarly, go to any japanese restaurant and there will be chinese people working in the kitchen
nah where I am it's all koreans and mexicans (for the most part it's japanese americans in the front tho)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

nah where I am it's all koreans and mexicans (for the most part it's japanese americans in the front tho)
i think there are less than 1 million japanese-americans so they dip into the well somewhere

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
I keep wanting to like Chinese takeout, but you're right it's pretty gross and I can tell they're using the same sauce for everything. I also can't stop thinking about the kitchen nightmare that must be producing the stuff. Thanks Ramsey.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

imandyyo posted:

I keep wanting to like Chinese takeout, but you're right it's pretty gross and I can tell they're using the same sauce for everything. I also can't stop thinking about the kitchen nightmare that must be producing the stuff. Thanks Ramsey.

yea if you ever go back alley to the chinese kitchens in a major city and stuff, it's really nasty and often you can just peer through the back door thats generally propped open because ventilation is poo poo in a lot of those places and its pretty gross

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

vietnamese chinese probably

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
There is a Chinese restaurant here (I live in a heavily Korean populated county) that will bread pieces of pork and mix them in when you order general tso chicken, etc. :china:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

what IS general tso's chicken, anyway?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
My favorite vietnamese restaurant has big thick meaty rolls, I usually get two orders of two with my grilled beef and rice noodles. Saigon Cafe in Sterling VA.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

Fried breaded chicken in a sauce.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i like chicken lo mein, chicken and broccoli and general tso's chicken

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

whip posted:

Fried breaded chicken in a sauce.

well yeah but what sets it apart from any other kind of americanized chinese chicken

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

a hole-y ghost posted:

it's a sugary form of hunan-style cooking. the dish itself isn't very popular in china because it's too sweet.

a hole-y ghost posted:

well yeah but what sets it apart from any other kind of americanized chinese chicken

garlic, shallots, and in an expensive place they'll put chili peppers in it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Effectronica posted:

it's a sugary form of hunan-style cooking. the dish itself isn't very popular in china because it's too sweet.

garlic, shallots, and in an expensive place they'll put chili peppers in it
cool, thanks anime man

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Xaris posted:

yea if you ever go back alley to the chinese kitchens in a major city and stuff, it's really nasty and often you can just peer through the back door thats generally propped open because ventilation is poo poo in a lot of those places and its pretty gross
I always tip well at these places because those people are working in hell, I know first-hand. Back in the day every kitchen had to have an old Chinese guy smoking a cig with two inches of ash while working a huge wok. Most of the Chinese cooks I knew had advanced degrees in things like political science or agronomy lol.

Maybe three or four out of thirty or so Chinese restaurants in my area are worth going to, and none of them have the wholesaler-template menu. If they have dim sum on weekends that's a good sign.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

One of the two places we would get chinese food from was ran by an old asian man with a chin mole that had 2 hairs protruding down past his chest. The food owned, the hair owned, I'm sad that place is gone now.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I would kill for some American Chinese food - chicken chow mein, wonton soup, good eggrolls. All I've had in the past several years has been Thai and Japanese and I'm really sick of those.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Anyone who knows how to stir fry please buy some of this stuff and make some god drat singapore noodles it's not that hard
http://www.amazon.com/Madras-Curry-Powder-SunBrand-113g/dp/B00155CZC0/r

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
OP the real answer is food service companies that sell all the breaded chicken/beef poo poo frozen along with 5 gallon buckets of lemon/orange/sweet&sour souse you could imagine.

They just deep fry the frozen product, slather it with sugary sauce and serve.
see: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/389/CLID/2033/Chinese_Food.htm

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

idk but general tso is colonel sanders superior officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i really like water chestnuts and idk if that's "allowed" or not. it just seems that they're good at soaking up whatever background flavors are present and gathering it in a delicious crispy puck of what i assume is starch. They're really good and make me happy.

• Locked thread