Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm only now getting around to the Stone Tower Temple video, but I'm a little sad no one said "PizzaJoe has called a big one!" during that fight. Also, I've always wondered about where exactly that fight takes place, considering the Majora motifs on the pillars. There's probably no solid explanation out there but I've always liked that little bit of mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Plus:

As well as the last of Olivia's art for the LP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus concludes PizzaJoe's first adventure. I'll be submitting it to the archive pretty soon, so if anyone happens to have pictures or whatnot to contribute to it that haven't been put up yet, let me know and I'll hold off.

Coming very soon, possibly within the next couple of weeks:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Am I the only one who actively enjoyed the goron rolling puzzle?

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Am I the only one who actively enjoyed the goron rolling puzzle?

I remember liking it as well. In any case, great job on the LP, ThornBrain and everyone else involved!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Thank you for the LP. You guys did a great job.

I forget if Crimea's dialogue is different after Romani gets kidnapped while you're there as opposed to it happening off screen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Romani returns on the last day with a wiped mind, right?

Anyway, thank you for the LP. And for that bonus video, completionist things like that are one of the things that make me enjoy your LPs.

Speaking of the bonus video, it seems to me that the bull is still easier to kill with Goron rolling than with Fierce Deity (that's hard to spell correctly, you have to switch the i/e), or at least more fun. And it's definitely easier to defeat Twinmold with the Giant's mask than with Fierce Deity. So, yeah, a boss slayer maybe, but only for 3 of the 5 bosses.

And what the hell was that song in the bonus video?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Such a good game and you've shown it off quite well. Thanks!

Though, it's really weird to swear that I got the Fierce Deity Mask and yet not remember the mini-dungeons, among other things.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Romani returns on the last day with a wiped mind, right?

Anyway, thank you for the LP. And for that bonus video, completionist things like that are one of the things that make me enjoy your LPs.

Speaking of the bonus video, it seems to me that the bull is still easier to kill with Goron rolling than with Fierce Deity (that's hard to spell correctly, you have to switch the i/e), or at least more fun. And it's definitely easier to defeat Twinmold with the Giant's mask than with Fierce Deity. So, yeah, a boss slayer maybe, but only for 3 of the 5 bosses.

And what the hell was that song in the bonus video?

The Fierce Diety mask with sword hits + firedisks does more damage than the goron roll, so if you're good the FD mask makes it go faster if nothing else. I like to chase it down, knock it over then switch masks and carve it up. As for twinmold, if you have infinite magic then the boss can't hit you on the center platform, and you can launch fire disks at it until it dies? Still an easy boss, but now un-losable.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
I've had this tucked in the wings for a while, actually. I've had a feedback response video planned for the end of the LP, and as a Game Design major and Creative Fiction minor, I have a lot to say about the way Majora's Mask can be thought of. The biggest thing I'm addressing is the idea of "Wonderful Game" vs. "Wonderful Story".

I decided to do a podcast instead at a friend's advising. Because...well, I'll present the ensuing rage tantrum from Skype:

quote:

EPM: It's un-loving-believable that something SO loving BASIC as "I want to show an image and have audio play over this image" is a godfuckingforsaken Herculean Labor.
EPM: I have been trying for THREE HOURS to make a video of this happen, and the resulting file is completely corrupted or something because no program, including YouTube's upload server, can touch it without crashing or mutilating the video.
EPM: I loving HATE VIDEO SO loving MUCH.
EPM: For YEARS. YEARS I have struggled with getting ANY program to do something as loving mundane as "play audio over video".
EPM: I loving give up.
EPM: I do everything every guide tells me to correctly, I give programs input they're DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY TO HANDLE, and nothing works. This is not...It will NOT HAPPEN.

EPM: Just...son of a BITCH why does nothing ever work!? OR AT LEAST GIVE ME SOME INDICATION OF WHY IT DOES NOT WORK! gently caress it's the ultimate in frustration! You do something that would work if ANY other person or circumstance or computer did it, and it DOES NOT work, and it does NOT tell you why.
EPM: I hate this so loving much, this is pure BULLSHIT that persists from 2010!
EPM: YouTube even, insultingly, lets you create slideshows and video edit on-site, but YOU CAN'T UPLOAD YOUR OWN AUDIO. Apparently they only expect people to want GOD poo poo CUNTFUCKING THUNDEROUS gently caress!

:v: And so I went with a podcast instead, at their advising.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since I joined after Thorn had already finished Skyward Sword, I'm going to thank him, Travis, and Yoshi for LPing Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess and am looking forward to Wind Waker HD.

I do have to ask: have you considered LPing Ocarina of Time at some point?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I just noticed a slight book ends detail to this. The game opens with Link looking for his old friend, navi, and ends with him finding an old friend (or, acquaintance, but you become friends). As depressing as the game is, the ending feels very happy and hopeful.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Now we need another sequel showing Skull Kid's journey to find Link, followed by the Giants looking for Skull Kid, followed by :suicide:.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Chimera-gui posted:

I do have to ask: have you considered LPing Ocarina of Time at some point?

Ocarina of Time 3D maybe. Like with Majora's Mask we did an LP of OoT back in 2010, but it went poorly, had technical problems marr it, and we didn't finish it. I don't like the original game as much as most other Zeldas, but the remake fixes pretty much everything I didn't like. So as soon as I get a 3DS capture board, it's on the list.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Epee Em posted:

I've had this tucked in the wings for a while, actually. I've had a feedback response video planned for the end of the LP, and as a Game Design major and Creative Fiction minor, I have a lot to say about the way Majora's Mask can be thought of. The biggest thing I'm addressing is the idea of "Wonderful Game" vs. "Wonderful Story".

I decided to do a podcast instead at a friend's advising. Because...well, I'll present the ensuing rage tantrum from Skype:

:v: And so I went with a podcast instead, at their advising.

Just use windows movie maker. :v:

Thanks for your hard work on the LP, looking forward to windwaker!

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.
Well that was one hell of a ride. Thanks for the top tier entertainment guys, looking forward to the Windwaker LP!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Pretty sure the "What does your face look like under that mask." is alluding to the mask we ware when we're with other people. Since the whole theme with the 4 kids is what is true and loneliness.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Thanks for the LP StrawhatNO. I ended up finally 100%ing Majora's Mask because of this.

Epee Em posted:

Hey cool more talking about Zelda design.

I think you're a little bit wrong harping about completionists using the stone mask beat the pirate fortress. The stone mask is an obscure but optional bonus way of doing it. The intended way is clearly just to sneak a bit and then beat it with just the hookshot. I think most people got the stone mask (assuming they got it at all) after the pirate fortress. The stone mask after the stealth missions of the game is still a neat reward because it makes enemies in general not able to see you. Alright, not that great of a reward but there is still some use out of it of not having to deal with all the bombchus/bubbles in that one area. But mostly, completionists got the stone mask so they could get the Fierce Deity mask later. A lot of the masks in the game are more or less pointless except to do or get one specific thing with them.

But that whole thing is mostly just a subargument. One of your main arguments is that Majora's Mask has inferior gameplay because it has hard and obscure things to 100% the game. But I think its fair to say that Ocarina of Time has this same problem. Where as Majora's Mask have missable masks, Ocarnia of Time had missable Great Fairys, capacity satchels (deku nuts specifically), and goddamn golden skulltulas. Both games are equally impossible to find all the heart pieces, which are scattered around the entire game world with no way of narrowing down where they are other than "search the entire game". Even if you eventually get a guide, neither game has any sort of checklist to compare in "oh I found that heartpiece" or "oh I missed that one". In that sense, you have to give Majora's Mask props for how they handled the stray fairy system, which was fantastically. The Great Fairy mask, while optional, isn't obscure or hard to find. The glowing hair to indicate if a fairy is in the room helps tremendously in making finding them all managable, even if they are tucked away behind invisible walls. It even tracks them for you, telling you how many fairies you have so far, and when to go to turn them into the Great Fairy fountain. I think its because of that glowing hair feature alone it changes the stray fairy quests from being guidebook players only to reasonable for all players to do.

In terms of gameplay, its hard to just say Ocarina has better gameplay than Majora. I'd say any gameplay outside of the dungeons is outright better in Majora. In Majora the overworld is far less empty, the transformation masks provide interesting ways of getting around. Tatl was much more tolerable than Navi and the owl showed up much less. I just think the dungeons in Ocarina were more linearized and combat focused. You mostly just hit a switch or found a key and moved on, with plenty of stalfos and lizardfos and iron knuckles to fight. Majora actually had better combat, replacing the constantly blocking stalfos and wimpy lizardfos with a redesigned fire-breathing lizardfo that fought more dynamically. Unfortunately it also had less combat overall and that godawful Wizzrobe miniboss. Majora's dungeons tended to focus more on the puzzle aspect. All of the dungeons had one main room that changed as you progressed through the dungeon. It made it a lot more difficult to figure out how to progress because you would always end up going back to the main room, changing something, and trying to figure out how that change makes it so you can progress. This made Majora's dungeons harder and I guess more rewarding to complete, but gently caress if they weren't frustrating. I do think sequels since then may have gone too far down the linear route.

Holepunchio fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 25, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Great LP, it's been years since I've played this game and this reminded me how much I enjoyed it. Also, on Majora part 1 you can use the Zora Boomerangs to stun it (I think if you Z-Target then ask Tatl, she alludes to it)

One other bit of theorycrafting- it always struck me that, after a whole game talking about how Majora's Mask is this terrible cursed relic, Majora's Incarnation (what I presume to be just that, the actual form of Majora) is this childish trickster deity. There's probably something in there about how the mask was created without evil intentions, then man turned out to be the real monster and used it for evil or whatever. Or maybe Majora's Wrath is what it actually looks like (Majora's Wrath does look cool, you're right there)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

That was fun, thanks! I never played Windwaker so it'll be an experience for me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I always thought Majora's Wrath was more ripped than that when I was younger.

Congratulations on another successful LP, gentlemen. By the way, did you know you can get a WiiU GamePad capture-enabled now? If you're planning on getting a 3DS capture board, you might want to consider it as well, if you're going to do more WiiU LPs after Wind Waker.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

C-Euro posted:

One other bit of theorycrafting- it always struck me that, after a whole game talking about how Majora's Mask is this terrible cursed relic, Majora's Incarnation (what I presume to be just that, the actual form of Majora) is this childish trickster deity. There's probably something in there about how the mask was created without evil intentions, then man turned out to be the real monster and used it for evil or whatever. Or maybe Majora's Wrath is what it actually looks like (Majora's Wrath does look cool, you're right there)

I think you're underestimating how nasty children can be.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Just going to mention, as I didn't see it mentioned, you don't always get the blue Twinmold mask, it depends on what order you kill them in

My game when I was a kid had the red mask instead

Good run all the same, Majora's Mask is one of my favourites. Now for Wind Waker

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Just like to say; Majora's Incarnation is silly as poo poo as an adult but as a kid when that fuckin thing came out of nowhere (and not having the Fierce Deity Mask because blind) it scared the poo poo out of me.

And then the Majora's Wrath hits and kicks your rear end. Majora was a great boss.

Sosogomi
Jun 1, 2011
The Majora's Mask manga did the ending a little differently, if I recall correctly.(It's been a few years, and I read it online. The official translation may have translated differently too.) So it's fun to finally see how the ending actually goes! I never could get the hang of this game, as much as I love it's themes.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
In the manga, after completing every dungeon and the Anju & Kafei quest in a single cycle, Link goes to fight Majora. On top of the clock tower, the giants stop the moon and the Skull Kid reveals that he was upset because he didn't understand why the giants had left him and felt completely alone, so he succumbed to the power of the mask, thinking it would make everyone do what he wanted. When the mask shakes Skull Kid off, it declares it wants to play tag, and gives Link the Fierce Deity mask, because he's "it". Kafei (who is there, along with Anju) warns him against wearing it, saying he'll become "like Skull Kid" (probably saying that the mask would consume him the same as Majora did Skull Kid?) and Link ignores it because he really likes playing tag. Link transforms, then goes into the moon, kills the masks, and comes back out as the Fierce Deity. Happy Mask Salesman tries to weasel away with Majora's Mask, and Link slashes at him, telling him to gently caress off. Happy Mask Salesman does so, by way of literally just fading out. Fan theory is that the mask did possess Link significantly, and that he only just retained enough of himself to manage to take it off when it was all over.

Fun fact: even in the manga, you don't get to see grown-up Kafei. It's the same shot, where he's looking at Anju in her wedding gown.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Just noticed, no one has pointed out that Majora's incarnation was moon walking on the moon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

frozentreasure posted:

By the way, did you know you can get a WiiU GamePad capture-enabled now? If you're planning on getting a 3DS capture board, you might want to consider it as well, if you're going to do more WiiU LPs after Wind Waker.

I don't think that's going to be necessary for WW at least since, much like the bottom screen in OoT 3DS, the gamepad in WW HD is used for inventory management which the audience doesn't need to see.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
So Thorn, what happens if you play the Oath to Order at the clock tower with fewer than 4 bosses beaten? I know they fail to stop the moon, but do you just get the same cutscene of the moon crashing down, or is it something different?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

KieranWalker posted:

So Thorn, what happens if you play the Oath to Order at the clock tower with fewer than 4 bosses beaten? I know they fail to stop the moon, but do you just get the same cutscene of the moon crashing down, or is it something different?

You just get Tatl telling you something along the lines of "It's not enough, we need all four!"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think you get the same cutscene, but with the giants in it.

frozentreasure posted:

Fan theory is that the mask did possess Link significantly, and that he only just retained enough of himself to manage to take it off when it was all over.

Now I'm just imagining Fierce Deity as Jim Carrey's Mask.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think you get the same cutscene, but with the giants in it.

Now I'm just imagining Fierce Deity as Jim Carrey's Mask.

Does that mean if Link actually gets with Zelda, we'll get a child with god-like power? Also that mask? It's Loki's I think, so it's a good comparison.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Considering the mask is made out of the essence of his Termina counterpart it makes sense that Link would lose himself a bit in it since it would feel sort of familiar. Who knows how much is retained within a mask; we can see from Majora's Mask that sufficiently powerful entities can retain their entire personalities and much of their power even when confined to a mask so there may well be a whole series of memories about the poo poo Termina's Link had to do to defeat Majora the first time. It's entirely possible Link temporarily forgot which Link he was.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
I'm reluctant to open this can of worms, but the age-old question with this game: If that's Majora's Mask, what was Majora? Incarnation and Wrath don't seem to be the original entity, just the mask deciding to lash out more. The aforementioned manga by Nintendo has a bonus (and explicitly non-canon/hypothetical) section detailing the original Majora's existence in a Time Before Time along with the Fierce Deity:

In that, Majora was a beast whose armor/hide could grant wishes, and everyone tried to kill it to take the hide and have their wishes. Majora was far more powerful than any of them and devoured those who tried. Along came the Fierce Deity eventually, who strangely enough didn't do anything particularly fierce (recall that it's just the Oni mask in Japan) and instead conversed with Majora. He played a drum beat for the beast, who was for the first time happy then, pleased with an opportunity to enjoy a festival itself for the first time, and it danced for three days straight to death. When Majora died, time started moving in the land that would become Termina. The Fierce Deity then carved the wish-granting hide of Majora into a mask, to contain the cursed power of the beast. Given how Japanese mythology goes, where you can't really get rid of these sorts of things permanently and need to seal them away instead where they can't do any harm, one assumes that the Fierce Deity never intended for Majora's Mask to be found. The reason he chose a mask shape was that even in the literal Time Before Time, masks had an important role in things like celebrations, and pitied Majora for never being part of them. Yes, the beast's armor-hide WAS that creepy-looking already, so he didn't really have much of a choice in how psychedelic the resulting mask came out.

I forget if it was stated or implied that the greed of those who hunted Majora for its hide was what made it hate everyone right back or not, but one can reasonably assume that everyone you ever meet being out to kill you for their own petty desires is a GREAT recipe for misanthropy.

That all said, that's just a bonus what-if from the manga's author, not Nintendo itself, but it does indicate that even in the Japanese script of the game Majora's Mask =/= Majora. One of the more interesting observations I've seen people make is that Majora's Mask and the Fused Shadows look awfully alike.

If I were to come up with the mask's origin, I'd turn back to the wicked tribe the Happy Mask Salesman described early on. Majora herself (the name is feminine, as is the mask's voice) was probably the head shaman or witch doctor of sort that created the mask for use in hexing rituals. Since its entire purpose was to bring curses on others, of course it'd be crafted with evil imagery and probably whatever symbolism was relevant to the tribe's most hostile myths. So then you have a singular object that accrues hatred and the desire to make others miserable from those who use it, gets loaded up with generations of vile magic, probably starts developing a mix of its own immature sentience and awareness that it's a hell of a lot more powerful than those who use it. The 'ancient ones' realized that it was going from tool to self-aware apocalypse-in-a-can, so as the HMS says sealed it in shadows.

Given that the HMS can identify any mask you bring him, it's reasonable to assume his knowledge of Majora's Mask is as accurate as we'll ever get.

And come to think of it, since Thorn didn't show that off, I'll include all those. The transformation masks don't get comments.

"That's the Postman's Hat, isn't it? That is a fine thing. It is filled with the joy of freedom."
"That's the All-Night Mask, isn't it? That looks like an expensive mask."
"That's the Blast Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with feelings of gratitude."
"That's the Stone Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with an appreciation for things that go unnoticed."
"That's the Great Fairy's Mask, isn't it? That is quite rare. Normally, you wouldn't be able to get one of those."
"That's a Keaton Mask, isn't it? It carries quite a lot of nostalgia. It was popular with children long ago."
"That is the Bremen Mask, isn't it? If you have that, then it would appear you have the qualities of a leader."
"That's the Bunny Hood, isn't it? That is a fine thing. It is filled with kindness towards animals."
"That's Don Gero's Mask, isn't it? That mask has a very operatic feel about it." (:v: The M. Bulteau mask?)
"That is the Mask of Scents, isn't it? You've done well to get that mask. Looking at its condition, I can tell that its previous owner was neat and tidy."
"That's Romani's Mask, isn't it? That is a nice mask. It is a sentimental item that exudes a lot of maturity."
"That's the Circus Leader's Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with the feelings of tenderness left behind in the back of one's heart."
"That's Kafei's Mask, isn't it? The worry of a concerned mother is expressed quite well in that mask."
"That's the Couple's Mask, isn't it? That is truly a very fine mask. It's overflowing with powerful feelings of love and gratitude."
"That is the Mask of Truth, isn't it? You have a frightful mask. But being able to see into people's hearts and minds seems useful..."
"That's Kamaro's Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with the joy a teacher has in finding a good student."
"That's the Gibdo Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with the love of a father and child."
"That's the Garo's Mask, isn't it? If you have that mask, you must be one with quite a bit of courage."
"That's the Captain's Hat, isn't it? That is a splendid thing. It earns the respect and sworn allegiance of legions of soldiers."

And interestingly enough, you can't wear the Giant's Mask anywhere but the Twinmold boss room, but if you use a cheat device to do so anyway, the HMS will say: "That's the Giant's Mask, isn't it? That truly is a rare mask..."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can show the HMS your masks? I don't think I never knew that.

... Actually I don't think I ever talked to him any more than necessary.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7AX-qypWg#t=4m45s
A little different. You see an extra clips of whatever giants you summoned getting knocked down by the moon.

Great LP Thorn!

nonrev fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 31, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

You can show the HMS your masks? I don't think I never knew that.

... Actually I don't think I ever talked to him any more than necessary.

You're only required to talk to him once after the initial encounter in order to get the Song of Healing. After that, there's no reason to talk to him again so it's not surprising that most don't talk to him more than what's explicitly required.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Epee Em posted:

"That's Kafei's Mask, isn't it? The worry of a concerned mother is expressed quite well in that mask."

"Also I haven't seen him. Quit asking."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Happy Mask Salesman is also probably the last survivor of that ancient tribe too, explaining why he has so much mastery of all things masks.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Epee Em posted:

"That's Don Gero's Mask, isn't it? That mask has a very operatic feel about it." (:v: The M. Bulteau mask?)
Man now I hope he has one to wear, but pretty sure it's just saying that because getting the item states it's of the legendary frog choir composer who can wield mastery over the frogs.

I actually thought there was some opera reference with the name, but it's actually because "gero" is the onomatopoeic word the Japanese use to describe a frog's croak.
I had no idea the Mask Salesman had all those things to say though so thanks for digging that up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I actually have the manga in question, as well as both of the ocarina of time ones, and it's very, very heavily implied that Fierce Deity is a giant rear end in a top hat, as evidenced by when Link/Deity is confronted by the boss mask kids, and he cuts each and every one of them in half. He also very verbally and physically attacks the Happy Mask Salesman and tells him to pretty much get hosed, right before chopping Majora's mask in half. The mask carving bit is a really amazing addition to the story as well, even if its not official, but, if we can assume, Fierce Deity probably watches Majora, which might explain why Majora has him in the moon, better then Majora's whole Bullshit "We'll play tag"

• Locked thread