Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

THE STORY :

Once upon a time, a young swordsman named Tatsumi travels to the imperial capital city in search of a way to make money and save his poverty-stricken village. When he gets there, he finds that life there is far more difficult than he expected. The capital is full of corruption, the emperor is a puppet to evil, and around every corner something terrible is lurking. He is unable to get a job and unknowingly is placed in mortal danger.

While seeking to defend the kindness of a family that has taken him in, he comes into contact with Night Raid - a group of assassins working to bring down the evil within the Capital, one bloody kill at a time. Against his protests they take him in and he reluctantly (at first) joins them.

CHARACTERS :

Tatsumi is a strong swordsman with strong morals who doesn't really fit in well with the rest of Night Raid.

Night Raid

From left to right :

Mine is a sniper who uses a special sniper rifle that, I quote, "Becomes stronger the more of a pinch she's in". She's a brat and comes into conflict with Tatsumi frequently.

Akame is a very serious warrior who uses a cursed sword to fight. One nick is all it takes for her to kill someone. She has an obsession with eating meat.

Bulat is a powerful man with a huge Pompadour who is totally gay. He wears bigass battle armor in battle that makes him all but invincible. He's constantly helping Tatsumi man up, though Tatsumi (understandably) tends to be rather weirded out by it. (Tatsumi is shown bottom middle just below Bulat)

Leone is a con artist/thief type character who tends to be the big overbearing sister type. She has a belt that lets her turn into a sort of half-animal form where she literally rips people apart.

Lubbock is a perverted guy who... gently caress. That's all we've really seen from his character thus far. But we're only a few episodes in and to be fair he seems to be rather level-headed in several scenes, often pointing out reasonable ways of going about things and whatnot. In battle he uses gloves that extend 'strong strings' (Wires) that let him lay traps, slice up people, and generally cause mayhem.

Sheele is a clumsy shy girl who has a very sweet, caring streak. Unless she's killing someone, then she becomes an incredibly competent, cold-blooded merciless maniac. She wields a giant pair of scissors which she uses to cut people in half.

SO WHAT IS IT LIKE?

It reminds me strongly of World Conquest Zvezda in many ways, but the differences are just as strong. Tatsumi ends up being far less reluctant than Asuta/Dva ever was. Still, there's the big burly guy in armor, Tatsumi ends up being recruited as a cook, etc. Quite a lot of strong similarities between the two. One strong DIFFERENCE is that Akame ga Kill! is quite bloody, with people being cut in half, dismembered, heads severed all over the place, etc. Blood and gore alone isn't really enough to keep the show going but so far it hasn't been all that bad. It has broken my expectations a few times - the quiet female lead ends up showing emotion and becoming more of a character and less of a robot on more than one occasion. Some things feel weird, like the outfits are a vast range from modernish (Tatsumi's sweater and button-up shirt), to sort-of medieval, to everything in between.

I'd say, give it a try. At least give it a 3-episode test. I don't expect it'll be for everyone, but i expect some people will have quite a bit of fun with it.

It's currently airing on Crunchyroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What i learned from this is that all rich people are evil and tsundere culture will never die.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite part of the original comic is the several one shot chapters where nameless people get raped and murdered, because the bad people are bad, you see.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

My favorite part of the original comic is the several one shot chapters where nameless people get raped and murdered, because the bad people are bad, you see.

Thus far that hasn't made it into the anime (yet). Bad people are still bad people and the rape/murder/etc is still implied but it hasn't seemed excessive (yet).

We're only 5 episodes in so who knows how good or bad it could go from here.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for making a thread for this! I like this show a lot in spite of its flaws.

Latest episode talk:

Going by that shot of the open book... did we just meet a justice-loving Shadow Labrys? I'm way the hell on board.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show speaks to the part of me that's still seventeen years old and mad at vague injustice and also wants to hit things with swords. The gay panic jokes, the inability to deal with women beyond broad stereotypes, and the edgy use of shock violence, it's all there. That main character wears a boring sweater his mom picked out for him just seals the deal: this is the heterosexuality that I've spent my life trying to escape.

Also unlike Zvezda the character designs don't make me want to vomit so it has that going for it at least.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
If you've gotten through the anime so far, congratulations! The beginning is the weakest part by far, and it's all uphill from here. The cartoonish evil never really goes away, but at least the manga has a way of staying entertaining.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Near as I can tell, this shows exists for everyone who gets pissed when anime characters act reluctant to kill the bad guy. It's the 90s era comic industry version of a shonen series. Enjoying it so far though. Should pick up quite a bit when they start introducing the non-mook villains.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The comic turned out to be decent popcorn material. This will probably be no different. There are some scenes I'm looking forward to seeing animated, basically mostly for the psychotic episodes of justice girl.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well everything got real bad really fast. Jeez Louis, I thought Justice was a nice and naive gal, but nope, gonna feed ya to my demon dog.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Annointed posted:

Well everything got real bad really fast. Jeez Louis, I thought Justice was a nice and naive gal, but nope, gonna feed ya to my demon dog.

Well to be fair it was both her job and people she admired died at their hand. But yeah she be crazy and a poor judge of character.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Justice always prevails :smug:
The anime is progressing faster than I thought, but when you take into consideration the average chapter is 40+ pages, 6 episodes covering 9 chapters is pretty reasonable.

Good news: Tatsumi gets a Teigu soon.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been watching too many of those 'POWER OF FRIENDSHIP' shows.

Seeing a member of the protagonist's faction and one of his friends get killed in such a fashion was definitely unexpected as hell.

But then that's one of the reasons I like this show. No punches pulled. Literally.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Latest ep:

:sbahj: Coro is loving terrifying. I don't know what I expected him to be like from that shot of the book, but this exceeded it by far. Seryu is the best character and I'm rooting for her total victory (and hopefully not losing all of her limbs all of the time).

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Holy poo poo this episode :stare:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm guessing Tatsumi will be the object of the super-girl-general's affection in the near future. Otherwise, why make a point of it. And, it is an odd point at that.

On one hand, I appreciate how they story keeps it real. Burning shonen passion isn't enough to win. You need skill, patience, and pure capability. They keep reining Tatsumi in, and he's still not magically strong enough.

On the other hand, I wish he was a tad more capable than he is.

Bulat is the best bro.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Assuming the show is just like the manga, this series does a good job of making the antagonists seem genuinely menacing and giving the sense that main characters aren't really safe. Hunter X Hunter is also very good with this, though I would still say that HxH is way better (because, well, it's Hunter X Hunter).

One thing the manga did that I found pretty unexpected was (manga spoilers!) have Tatsumi end up dating the sniper rifle girl. Normally I would have guessed that it was setting him up with Akame, but he not only ended up with someone else but actually started dating them, which is really unusual in this type of manga.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 17, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

HiveCommander posted:

Justice always prevails :smug:
The anime is progressing faster than I thought, but when you take into consideration the average chapter is 40+ pages, 6 episodes covering 9 chapters is pretty reasonable.

Good news: Tatsumi gets a Teigu soon.

Bad news: But at what cost :(

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Oh sweet, a thread got made.

Loved the show...until last week. Promptly dropped it like it was hot and after I got over best girl dying and worst girl surviving I've been reading ahead a bit. Great series.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I can appreciate that Akame's reaction is a reasonable one given their line of work. Since having to stay calm and collected is a good skill to have in assassinations. Even if someone you care about gets brutally murdered.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 18, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is nothing but refreshing. After tons of the "Quiet, awkward, really good at what they do, don't care about others" characters, Akame just having a really good work ethic is great.

Bulat just chopping that guy in half straight up was unexpected too, the show isn't afraid to keep things going fast and fresh. Probably my favourite of the season so far.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Bulat just chopping that guy in half straight up was unexpected too, the show isn't afraid to keep things going fast and fresh. Probably my favourite of the season so far.

I loved that bit.

When those three lieutenants were first introduced it seemed like the standard shonen lackeys. Each would be 1 episode to defeat, requiring the heroes to put their lives on the line before they find a way past the trick and KO them.

Instead, one of them is OHKO'ed and literally cut in half vertically and I get the feeling the fight with the other two isn't going to be the typical shonen battle.

bondster
May 6, 2007

New episode is up and I got extreme deja vu considering Bulats VA voiced another badass older brother mentor who also died around this point as well

khy
Aug 15, 2005

bondster posted:

New episode is up and I got extreme deja vu considering Bulats VA voiced another badass older brother mentor who also died around this point as well

I got extreme deja-vu from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prZ0JrbQrU

My blood! He... HE PUNCHED OUT ALL MY BLOOD!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bondster posted:

Yeah, the first thing I thought to myself was man Kamina really can't catch a break.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

rip Bulat, you were too good for this gay Earth

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Akame ga Kill really likes killing off the best characters so far :smith:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Genocyber posted:

rip Bulat, you were too gay for this good Earth

Fixed that for you.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 25, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

oilatsnep posted:

Akame ga Kill really likes killing off the best characters so far :smith:

I wholeheartedly expect Tatsumi and Mine being the last two if we're going to keep on in this way.

Oh god I bloody hope that doesn't happen...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna bet Akame ends up dead next, via Kurome.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

So, stuff happened in the manga;

:siren: Manga spoilers :siren:
Rabac (yes, I'm sticking to the scanlator localization of this because Lubbock sounds dumb as gently caress) was a total badass. I was actually thinking he was going to cave and spill the details, and then he pulls that stunt :allears:

I doubt that Syura is dead though, since they have a habit of announcing it in the last page when the headcount of a major faction decreases.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I caught up on the manga this past and have enjoyed it. Should we start a manga-only discussion?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I caught up on the manga this past and have enjoyed it. Should we start a manga-only discussion?

Is it worth making a whole new thread for it, given this thread is still on it's first page? Might be simpler to just label the manga spoilers in this thread.

Speaking of :siren: manga spoilers :siren: though:
I'm not too sure we've seen the last of Wild Hunt. Thy may be disbanded and I doubt they'll be tolerated amongst the Jagers, but the Wild Hunt loli is bound to be plotting something.

I also also think that Kurome is going to be the next to die to serve as a way for Wave to man up and get hell-bent on revenge against whoever kills her, whether it be Akame or someone from the now-disbanded Wild Hunt. If Wild Hunt kill her, it could set the stage for Wave to start cooperating with NR. Just a bit of speculation of course, although I do like how Tatsumi and Wave are pretty much the same person, just on opposite sides of the conflict.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

HiveCommander posted:

So, stuff happened in the manga;

:siren: Manga spoilers :siren:
Rabac (yes, I'm sticking to the scanlator localization of this because Lubbock sounds dumb as gently caress) was a total badass. I was actually thinking he was going to cave and spill the details, and then he pulls that stunt :allears:

I doubt that Syura is dead though, since they have a habit of announcing it in the last page when the headcount of a major faction decreases.

Lubbock is a city in Texas, it's not like it's a made up word. :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Lubbock is a city in Texas, it's not like it's a made up word. :v:

Doesn't make it sound any less dumb. Some of the official localisations are alright, but I find most are just... bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Esdeath is the best. If putting a collar and dragging someone away is your method of getting somebody in bed with you, you're the most insane psychopath ever.

And poor Wave, having to deal with all those weirdos. Akame's little sister doesn't seem as crazy as expected though.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Esdeath is the best. If putting a collar and dragging someone away is your method of getting somebody in bed with you, you're the most insane psychopath ever.

And poor Wave, having to deal with all those weirdos. Akame's little sister doesn't seem as crazy as expected though.

Yeah, they really nailed both of those scenes. I expected Bors to sound a little more intimidating though.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akame's little sister doesn't seem as crazy as expected though.

That's exactly what makes her so crazy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, they really nailed both of those scenes. I expected Bors to sound a little more intimidating though.

Why once he starts talking you are supposed to realize he is a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The best part is when Esdeath turned the show into a shoujo, complete with cute blushes and shoujo bubbles. And then the CHA CHA CHA theme played when she collered up Tats.

• Locked thread